eddy

I get an error of....

"another extended memory manager is installed.XMS driver
not installed"

Anyone know whats up here?

"eddy" <ed@mydot.com> wrote in message
> I get an error of....
>
> "another extended memory manager is installed.XMS driver
> not installed"

This is a DOS error message. Standard Win98
installations do not need CONFIG.SYS to load
drivers for DOS apps. Try renaming it CONFIG.BAK
and reboot.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"eddy" <ed@mydot.com> wrote in news:000101c540c9$d146cf10$a501280a@phx.gbl:

> I get an error of....
>
> "another extended memory manager is installed.XMS driver
> not installed"
>
> Anyone know whats up here?

It means that your system loads an XMS manager in config.sys, other than
himem.sys. Or your himem.sys is corrupt.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:13:19 -0700, "eddy" <ed@mydot.com> wrote:

>I get an error of....
>
>"another extended memory manager is installed.XMS driver
>not installed"
>
>Anyone know whats up here?

That refers to the Extended Memory Specification. Windows Emm386.exe
manages the Extended Memory Area (XMS) and provides Expanded Memory.
You may be loading another one in the Config.sys file in the root.

Try these 3 lines in this order at the top of the Config.sys file.
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Put REM and a space in front of any other lines that manage memory.

Reboot.

The lines also provide more conventional memory that is used by DOS
and some Windows program installs. Expanded Memory (EMS) that some
Dos programs use is also provided if needed.

If no help copy/paste the lines in the Config.sys file to a post in
this thread.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

eddy

eddy

Opps!

Thanks to all who replied.

I ended up reinstalling the restore disks.

Anyone know why I>E> is so slow after the restore?

In the past,a restore would speed up I>E>considerably.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Great advice as usual Bill.

"Bill Watt" wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:13:19 -0700, "eddy" <ed@mydot.com> wrote:
>
> >I get an error of....
> >
> >"another extended memory manager is installed.XMS driver
> >not installed"
> >
> >Anyone know whats up here?
>
> That refers to the Extended Memory Specification. Windows Emm386.exe
> manages the Extended Memory Area (XMS) and provides Expanded Memory.
> You may be loading another one in the Config.sys file in the root.
>
> Try these 3 lines in this order at the top of the Config.sys file.
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
> DOS=HIGH,UMB
>
> Put REM and a space in front of any other lines that manage memory.
>
> Reboot.
>
> The lines also provide more conventional memory that is used by DOS
> and some Windows program installs. Expanded Memory (EMS) that some
> Dos programs use is also provided if needed.
>
> If no help copy/paste the lines in the Config.sys file to a post in
> this thread.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe spyware, adware or poor configuration after restore of Internet Explorer.

Please see:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/honeycutt_spyware.mspx

(Grateful thanks to Microsoft for link)