Windows 98 freezes on start up

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 14, 2005 2:54:04 PM

My computer is a Pentium 2 with 64MB memory. After entering my windows
password, at the desktop, my hard drive, mouse, and keyboard stops working. I
press the reset to reboot and same problems occur. Next, I turn off power,
wait, and attempt to restart. This time windows performs a scandisk
automatically, no problem. Then enter my password to windows network and the
screen changes to the desktop and about half way stops and locks up just as
before. Will need help to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks

More about : windows freezes start

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:29:21 PM

Are there any error messages? Can you start it in safe mode?

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Kulot" <Kulot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is a Pentium 2 with 64MB memory. After entering my windows
> password, at the desktop, my hard drive, mouse, and keyboard stops
> working. I
> press the reset to reboot and same problems occur. Next, I turn off
> power,
> wait, and attempt to restart. This time windows performs a scandisk
> automatically, no problem. Then enter my password to windows network and
> the
> screen changes to the desktop and about half way stops and locks up just
> as
> before. Will need help to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:50:37 PM

Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q188867

“Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it� by MS MVP Gary Terhune
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"Kulot" <Kulot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is a Pentium 2 with 64MB memory. After entering my windows
> password, at the desktop, my hard drive, mouse, and keyboard stops working. I
> press the reset to reboot and same problems occur. Next, I turn off power,
> wait, and attempt to restart. This time windows performs a scandisk
> automatically, no problem. Then enter my password to windows network and the
> screen changes to the desktop and about half way stops and locks up just as
> before. Will need help to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:13:01 AM

No error messages and unable to start on safe mode.

!