start up problem

I installed some new software and now get the following message at startup.
The RUNDLL32.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:ActivateActCtx.
I can get past that but cannot access some things like the Control Panel,
Windows updates, etc. Can anyone tell me how to fix this.
2 answers Last reply
More about start problem

    The error means that rundll32.exe is expecting a function of kernel32.dll that is
    not supported by that version, namely the function ActivateActCtx. This function is
    not supported by the Win98/98SE version of kernel32.dll. This suggests that you
    installed some software that does not work on Win98/98SE, as the function is
    supported by the kernel32.dll in Windows XP.

    I suggest you uninstall the program that instigated the error, reboot, and if the
    error still persists, extract a new copy of rundll32.exe from your Windows CD (or
    the .cab file location on your hard drive) to the C:\Windows folder, using the
    "Extract one file" option of System File Checker (SFC).

    Using SFC to extract a file:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
    http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp

    HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5

    http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001011114021106?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=2
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/3pyth
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Pete M" <Pete M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I installed some new software and now get the following message at startup.
    > The RUNDLL32.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:ActivateActCtx.
    > I can get past that but cannot access some things like the Control Panel,
    > Windows updates, etc. Can anyone tell me how to fix this.

    (A) Extract a new RUNDLL32.EXE, if "access denied" is mentioned...

    RUNDLL32.EXE
    Desc: Run a DLL as an App
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS
    Size: 24,576 bytes
    Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
    Ver: 4.10.1998

    That is old enough (Win98SE) never to have been modified by an update.
    So, extract it with SFC.

    (1) "START, Run, SFC"
    (2) Bolt "Extract one file from installation disk"
    (3) Enter "RUNDLL32.EXE" in the "Specify..." box.
    (4) Click "Start". It should offer to "Save file in C:\WINDOWS".
    If not, make it so.
    (5) In "Restore from", if not already pre-filled, browse to
    (a) Installation CD (likely the Win98 folder) or
    (b) The folder that has your cabs on the hard drive, likely
    "C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\".
    (5) Click "OK"

    If it discovers the file already exists, it will offer to back it up.
    May as well do so. If it discovers the file is "in use", it will request
    that you reboot to complete the install.

    (B)
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
    Search: "Control Panel"; Title only; Exact match; finds many,
    including...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299923&Product=w98
    How to Troubleshoot Control Panel Issues in Windows
    (299923) - When you attempt to open Control Panel (click Start , point
    to Settings , and then click Control Panel ), it does not open as you
    expect. One or more of the following may occur: You receive an error
    message similar to the following: Program has...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192806
    How to Run Control Panel Tools by Typing a Command
    (192806) - This article describes how to run Control Panel tools in
    Windows by typing a command at a command prompt or in the Open box.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;149648&Product=w98
    Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Pete M" <Pete M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I installed some new software and now get the following message at
    startup.
    | The RUNDLL32.EXE file is linked to missing export
    KERNEL32.DLL:ActivateActCtx.
    | I can get past that but cannot access some things like the Control
    Panel,
    | Windows updates, etc. Can anyone tell me how to fix this.

Windows