7900GT AGPs are for sale take a LOOK.

KingGreatYat

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Maybe Nvidia wont allow a 3rd party to market a card with the name 7900GT if it doesn't adhere to official standard (ie PCIe)

As GS is an AGP part already maybe they are allowed some artistic license with their product naming.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Maybe Nvidia wont allow a 3rd party to market a card with the name 7900GT if it doesn't adhere to official standard (ie PCIe)

As GS is an AGP part already maybe they are allowed some artistic license with their product naming.

I really don't know, because the 7600GS is a PCIe card.

KingGreatYat

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
:oops:

maybe its so that people associate 7800GS instantly with AGP

The built for Vista tag isn't that dubious. I think that it means that if you use this card then Vista is guaranteed to run. I understand a lot of the UI gfx still run with DX9 cards.

Of course it doesn't say DX10 compliant - that would be dubious.

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Something is seriously wrong with this situation......not sure what it is, but something stinks about all of this..........

"scam" comes to mind......but not sure why. I'll believe the 7900 in an AGP socket when nVidia announces it.......I have not read anything yet to suggest it is happening.....but then again, I don't read every word on the web everyday.

Anyone got a link from nVidia regarding a 7900 in an AGP flavor?

Otherwise, I'd be seriously suspect of this.

KingGreatYat

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
It doesn't appear to official at all.

I think that is partly why they have to use a 7800GS name for it.

I have seen this product on other web sites, and I believe gainward are trustworthy, so it may well be genuine.

this is the best link I could find (sorry, i know its the web worst rag)
good pics though

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30502

I think its real, gainward were the first to put a 7800GT core onto the 7800GS, and they are claiming to have done it again.

Its been out on some other messenging boards (I know it don't make it right) for a few days now, gainward have it on their site as a teaser and overclockers are listed as their supplier, they were also the sole supplier for the 7800GT I think.

I'm tempted...

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I think its real, gainward were the first to put a 7800GT core onto the 7800GS, and they are claiming to have done it again.

Its been out on some other messenging boards (I know it don't make it right) for a few days now, gainward have it on their site as a teaser and overclockers are listed as their supplier, they were also the sole supplier for the 7800GT I think.

I'm tempted...

Don't be tempted; just get a frickin PCIe board and a 7900GT.

Unfortunatley being Socket A, I don't have an upgrade path that doesn't require CPU + mobo + GPU and maybe even PSU. It makes this look cheap and painless, which are the nice upgrades.

So this is the next best thing until I can do a real upgrade, but my feeling is that this would push that back till maybe late 2007 / early 2008.

KingGreatYat

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006

I'm tempted...

Don't be tempted; just get a frickin PCIe board and a 7900GT.

I would, but I haven't had this AGP board long, and I don't feel the need to replace it just yet. 13thmonkey makes a good point though.

Actually my 6600GT is serving me well at the mo, so I will stick with that till vista + DX10

I was just browsing a few sites and i came across these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_7800_Series_363.html

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-030-GW)

and

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-032-GW)

Its the 7800gt 20 pipline and a 7900gt 24 pipline for agp have you guys seen any reviews for these?

These Gainward cards are for real and, IMHO, are the penultimate of AGP! These cards are not for retail sale in the United States, not that I've seen, but they are available in Europe, to the tune of $550+/- USD delivered!!!!

However, the 7800GS AGP cards are nothing new. BFG, EVGA, XFX, other makers have been doing this for a while, including Gainward. The BFG, EVGA, and XFX 7800 GS cards are essentially the same, an AGP adapted 7800GT, that has been factory overclocked, and with only 16 pixel pipes. You can get these cards off Ebay, Newegg, Monarch, etc...

However, what Gainward has done is make 2 flavors of their 7800GS AGP cards, 1) the Bliss 7800GS Silent 512MB AGP with 20 pixel pipelines, and 2) the BLISS 7800GS Silent 512MB GS+ with 24 pixel pipelines. But the 7800GS+ model seems to a limited edition card with a very small production run. You can read the article here.

Cheers!

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Unfortunatley being Socket A, I don't have an upgrade path that doesn't require CPU + mobo + GPU and maybe even PSU. It makes this look cheap and painless, which are the nice upgrades.

So this is the next best thing until I can do a real upgrade, but my feeling is that this would push that back till maybe late 2007 / early 2008.

No worries dude, just wait it out a bit. I'm sure gainward will create an unathorized socket 939-to-A for you.

I heard that's their new project, taking a 939 core and putting it on an A.....oh wait....nevermind......that would be over the top.

I wonder if they also retrofit corvette engines onto a Chevettes, like they do with the GPU's.....that could be teh start of a great new market for them.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

do you really think that would do that... just for little old me and the other Socket A castaways. :wink: Just wish it was 1st April....

Nope, I doubt anyone would go that far, yes there are AGP/PCI-E mobo's out there but their stability is suspect I understand.

Given these Specs what would you Suggest.

Abit AN7
Athlon XP3200+ Barton
2x1Gb PC3200 Dual Channeled
6600GT slight OC
On board Sound
Enermax 485W PSU (from 2002) not unsure of compatability
Various HD and DVDRom/RW's

I think that I can salavage the RAM... and thats about it.

KingGreatYat

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
That spec is almost identical to mine. except I'm using a 939 Athlon 3000 with AGP mobo.

I would look at whether you feel that you need to upgrade based on the computing experience you are having. If you feel that you're system is starting to show its age then you may want to look at replacing the lot.
If you go for 939 now you will be able to salvage that RAM. I think that will be sufficient for the forseeable future. and you can always upgrade that further as you will have 4 slots for RAM on you 939 board you will be able to get approx 4GB in there.

If you wait a while and look at intel or the new AM2 socket from AMD you will need to replace your ram with DDR2

As for the PSU, that is prob suffecient for most current mobos. It depends on whether they require the newer 24 pin EPS connector or are backward compatible with the 20 pin atx connector.
Also I have noticed that some of the 4 pin connectors for the CPU have been changed to 8 pin connectors - again i think some mobos are backward compatible.

That's where I thought I'd be, the RAM is salvagable now, but not post AM2, and post AM2 nothing it able to salvaged.

Right now everything is fine, am perfectly happy with it, but... I can see that I could get better rates in BF2, and having upgraded to a 1280x1024 TFT i cannot trade res for frame rate without it looking very poor.

Realistically anything below a 4000+ probably wouldn't enhance the experience that much (alright a bit but not an incredible amount), and they are £230, X2 would cost £300ish. if i'm going to get a mobo I'd may as well get SLI capable, another £100 and then I've got to get the GPU on top of that.

Think its better to wait for the next gen processor issues to sort themselves out, and get a low to mid end next gen.

I think I've convinced myself, not sure if I've convinced anyone else.

KingGreatYat

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I'm waiting till next year for my next upgrade. So you don't need to convince me!!
I like to think that the cash I have shelled out is getting me a sizable update in peformance - esp with GFX cards

The very reason that I don't own a TFT screen yet is that they seem to require more investment in the rest of the system in order to work with the native res.

There is no rule saying that you must upgrade to AM2 once its out. 939 will still be a strong platform for some time to come - until of course AMD start discontinuing parts.

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006

This is the same situation I'm facing right now. My ATI All in Wonder 9600 is starting to feel a little long in the tooth and I am running on an AGP slot right now...

I've also been eyeing an ATI X800 Pro that I saw at Best Buy for $330. I do have a $130 gift certificate to apply towards it. Would this provide a substantial performance increase over my current card? What might be some other AGP cards in that price range for me to consider? Also, would the rest of my system be a bottleneck? I'm thinking my system will be ok but I'd just like a second or third opinion. Specs:

Intel 3.06 ghz w/ HT
1 gig Rambus RAM
ATI All in Wonder 9700 w/ 128 megs RAM

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I seriousley doubt that they will make a 7900gt for Agp thats VISTA ready. The Agp architecute on mobos are not sufficient enough to even run applications on VISTA. Therefore, nvidia dont plan on making the 7900 lines for agp, Its just too old, Today its all bout PCIe, and leave it at that. :twisted:

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
do you really think that would do that... just for little old me and the other Socket A castaways. :wink: Just wish it was 1st April....

Nope, I doubt anyone would go that far, yes there are AGP/PCI-E mobo's out there but their stability is suspect I understand.

Given these Specs what would you Suggest.

Abit AN7
Athlon XP3200+ Barton
2x1Gb PC3200 Dual Channeled
6600GT slight OC
On board Sound
Enermax 485W PSU (from 2002) not unsure of compatability
Various HD and DVDRom/RW's

I think that I can salavage the RAM... and thats about it.

I just came from an XP 2200+ and went with all new stuff.

With what you go, though, you could probably save a bunch of it. Perhaps just a new mobo/cpu would get it done for you to make it last another 18 months...until AM2's are out in force at 65nm.....

cleeve

Illustrious
A socket 754 Athlon 64 would be just as good for vista as any contemporary platform... but why invest in it?

The Gainward 7900-GT-called-a-7800-GS is old news, and quite real.

It can't be called a 7900 GT because of licensing issues form Nvidia, but it exists. Haviung said that, it's too damn expensive to be viable if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat...

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006