• Bliss
  • Gainward
  • DVI
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2006 12:05:48 PM

I was just browsing a few sites and i came across these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue...

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-030-GW)

and

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-032-GW)

its the 7800gt 20 pipline and a 7900gt 24 pipline for agp have you guys seen any reviews for these?

More about : 7900gt agps sale

April 25, 2006 12:28:22 PM

Nice find. I just wonder: If it's a 7900 for AGP, why do they call it the 7800GS+?
April 25, 2006 12:33:18 PM

Maybe Nvidia wont allow a 3rd party to market a card with the name 7900GT if it doesn't adhere to official standard (ie PCIe)

As GS is an AGP part already maybe they are allowed some artistic license with their product naming.
Related resources
April 25, 2006 12:35:30 PM

Quote:
Maybe Nvidia wont allow a 3rd party to market a card with the name 7900GT if it doesn't adhere to official standard (ie PCIe)

As GS is an AGP part already maybe they are allowed some artistic license with their product naming.

I really don't know, because the 7600GS is a PCIe card.
April 25, 2006 12:42:40 PM

That 'built for Windows Vista' tag seems a little dubious....
April 25, 2006 12:47:59 PM

:oops: 

maybe its so that people associate 7800GS instantly with AGP

The built for Vista tag isn't that dubious. I think that it means that if you use this card then Vista is guaranteed to run. I understand a lot of the UI gfx still run with DX9 cards.

Of course it doesn't say DX10 compliant - that would be dubious.
April 25, 2006 12:48:02 PM

Something is seriously wrong with this situation......not sure what it is, but something stinks about all of this..........

"scam" comes to mind......but not sure why. I'll believe the 7900 in an AGP socket when nVidia announces it.......I have not read anything yet to suggest it is happening.....but then again, I don't read every word on the web everyday.

Anyone got a link from nVidia regarding a 7900 in an AGP flavor?

Otherwise, I'd be seriously suspect of this.
April 25, 2006 12:51:31 PM

It doesn't appear to official at all.

I think that is partly why they have to use a 7800GS name for it.

I have seen this product on other web sites, and I believe gainward are trustworthy, so it may well be genuine.

this is the best link I could find (sorry, i know its the web worst rag)
good pics though

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30502
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 12:54:25 PM

I think its real, gainward were the first to put a 7800GT core onto the 7800GS, and they are claiming to have done it again.

Its been out on some other messenging boards (I know it don't make it right) for a few days now, gainward have it on their site as a teaser and overclockers are listed as their supplier, they were also the sole supplier for the 7800GT I think.

I'm tempted...
April 25, 2006 12:56:50 PM

yeh me too!!!! I have just been paid as well......hmmmmmm :wink:
April 25, 2006 12:58:33 PM

Quote:
I think its real, gainward were the first to put a 7800GT core onto the 7800GS, and they are claiming to have done it again.

Its been out on some other messenging boards (I know it don't make it right) for a few days now, gainward have it on their site as a teaser and overclockers are listed as their supplier, they were also the sole supplier for the 7800GT I think.

I'm tempted...

Don't be tempted; just get a frickin PCIe board and a 7900GT.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 1:18:43 PM

Unfortunatley being Socket A, I don't have an upgrade path that doesn't require CPU + mobo + GPU and maybe even PSU. It makes this look cheap and painless, which are the nice upgrades.

So this is the next best thing until I can do a real upgrade, but my feeling is that this would push that back till maybe late 2007 / early 2008.
April 25, 2006 1:47:09 PM

Quote:

I'm tempted...

Don't be tempted; just get a frickin PCIe board and a 7900GT.

I would, but I haven't had this AGP board long, and I don't feel the need to replace it just yet. 13thmonkey makes a good point though.

Actually my 6600GT is serving me well at the mo, so I will stick with that till vista + DX10
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 1:57:34 PM

Quote:

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-030-GW)

and

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-032-GW)

Its the 7800gt 20 pipline and a 7900gt 24 pipline for agp have you guys seen any reviews for these?

These Gainward cards are for real and, IMHO, are the penultimate of AGP! These cards are not for retail sale in the United States, not that I've seen, but they are available in Europe, to the tune of $550+/- USD delivered!!!!

However, the 7800GS AGP cards are nothing new. BFG, EVGA, XFX, other makers have been doing this for a while, including Gainward. The BFG, EVGA, and XFX 7800 GS cards are essentially the same, an AGP adapted 7800GT, that has been factory overclocked, and with only 16 pixel pipes. You can get these cards off Ebay, Newegg, Monarch, etc...

However, what Gainward has done is make 2 flavors of their 7800GS AGP cards, 1) the Bliss 7800GS Silent 512MB AGP with 20 pixel pipelines, and 2) the BLISS 7800GS Silent 512MB GS+ with 24 pixel pipelines. But the 7800GS+ model seems to a limited edition card with a very small production run. You can read the article here.

Cheers!
April 25, 2006 2:47:54 PM

Quote:
Unfortunatley being Socket A, I don't have an upgrade path that doesn't require CPU + mobo + GPU and maybe even PSU. It makes this look cheap and painless, which are the nice upgrades.

So this is the next best thing until I can do a real upgrade, but my feeling is that this would push that back till maybe late 2007 / early 2008.

No worries dude, just wait it out a bit. I'm sure gainward will create an unathorized socket 939-to-A for you.

I heard that's their new project, taking a 939 core and putting it on an A.....oh wait....nevermind......that would be over the top.

I wonder if they also retrofit corvette engines onto a Chevettes, like they do with the GPU's.....that could be teh start of a great new market for them.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 2:58:41 PM

do you really think that would do that... just for little old me and the other Socket A castaways. :wink: Just wish it was 1st April....

Nope, I doubt anyone would go that far, yes there are AGP/PCI-E mobo's out there but their stability is suspect I understand.

Given these Specs what would you Suggest.

Abit AN7
Athlon XP3200+ Barton
2x1Gb PC3200 Dual Channeled
6600GT slight OC
On board Sound
Enermax 485W PSU (from 2002) not unsure of compatability
Various HD and DVDRom/RW's

I think that I can salavage the RAM... and thats about it.
April 25, 2006 3:53:04 PM

That spec is almost identical to mine. except I'm using a 939 Athlon 3000 with AGP mobo.

I would look at whether you feel that you need to upgrade based on the computing experience you are having. If you feel that you're system is starting to show its age then you may want to look at replacing the lot.
If you go for 939 now you will be able to salvage that RAM. I think that will be sufficient for the forseeable future. and you can always upgrade that further as you will have 4 slots for RAM on you 939 board you will be able to get approx 4GB in there.

If you wait a while and look at intel or the new AM2 socket from AMD you will need to replace your ram with DDR2

As for the PSU, that is prob suffecient for most current mobos. It depends on whether they require the newer 24 pin EPS connector or are backward compatible with the 20 pin atx connector.
Also I have noticed that some of the 4 pin connectors for the CPU have been changed to 8 pin connectors - again i think some mobos are backward compatible.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 4:02:48 PM

That's where I thought I'd be, the RAM is salvagable now, but not post AM2, and post AM2 nothing it able to salvaged.

Right now everything is fine, am perfectly happy with it, but... I can see that I could get better rates in BF2, and having upgraded to a 1280x1024 TFT i cannot trade res for frame rate without it looking very poor.

Realistically anything below a 4000+ probably wouldn't enhance the experience that much (alright a bit but not an incredible amount), and they are £230, X2 would cost £300ish. if i'm going to get a mobo I'd may as well get SLI capable, another £100 and then I've got to get the GPU on top of that.

Think its better to wait for the next gen processor issues to sort themselves out, and get a low to mid end next gen.

I think I've convinced myself, not sure if I've convinced anyone else.
April 25, 2006 4:27:09 PM

I'm waiting till next year for my next upgrade. So you don't need to convince me!!
I like to think that the cash I have shelled out is getting me a sizable update in peformance - esp with GFX cards

The very reason that I don't own a TFT screen yet is that they seem to require more investment in the rest of the system in order to work with the native res.

There is no rule saying that you must upgrade to AM2 once its out. 939 will still be a strong platform for some time to come - until of course AMD start discontinuing parts.
April 25, 2006 5:23:37 PM

Quote:

This is the same situation I'm facing right now. My ATI All in Wonder 9600 is starting to feel a little long in the tooth and I am running on an AGP slot right now...

I've also been eyeing an ATI X800 Pro that I saw at Best Buy for $330. I do have a $130 gift certificate to apply towards it. Would this provide a substantial performance increase over my current card? What might be some other AGP cards in that price range for me to consider? Also, would the rest of my system be a bottleneck? I'm thinking my system will be ok but I'd just like a second or third opinion. Specs:

Intel 3.06 ghz w/ HT
1 gig Rambus RAM
ATI All in Wonder 9700 w/ 128 megs RAM
April 25, 2006 5:40:00 PM

I seriousley doubt that they will make a 7900gt for Agp thats VISTA ready. The Agp architecute on mobos are not sufficient enough to even run applications on VISTA. Therefore, nvidia dont plan on making the 7900 lines for agp, Its just too old, Today its all bout PCIe, and leave it at that. :twisted:
April 25, 2006 6:39:17 PM

Quote:
do you really think that would do that... just for little old me and the other Socket A castaways. :wink: Just wish it was 1st April....

Nope, I doubt anyone would go that far, yes there are AGP/PCI-E mobo's out there but their stability is suspect I understand.

Given these Specs what would you Suggest.

Abit AN7
Athlon XP3200+ Barton
2x1Gb PC3200 Dual Channeled
6600GT slight OC
On board Sound
Enermax 485W PSU (from 2002) not unsure of compatability
Various HD and DVDRom/RW's

I think that I can salavage the RAM... and thats about it.

I just came from an XP 2200+ and went with all new stuff.

With what you go, though, you could probably save a bunch of it. Perhaps just a new mobo/cpu would get it done for you to make it last another 18 months...until AM2's are out in force at 65nm.....
April 25, 2006 6:40:35 PM

A socket 754 Athlon 64 would be just as good for vista as any contemporary platform... but why invest in it?

The Gainward 7900-GT-called-a-7800-GS is old news, and quite real.

It can't be called a 7900 GT because of licensing issues form Nvidia, but it exists. Haviung said that, it's too damn expensive to be viable if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat...
April 25, 2006 8:28:55 PM

Quote:

and

its the 7800gt 20 pipline and a 7900gt 24 pipline for agp have you guys seen any reviews for these?

*coughs* BULLSH1T
April 25, 2006 8:59:09 PM

Not BS dude. The Gainward AGP 7900GT-in-7800GS clothing has been known for some time.

Google it...
April 25, 2006 9:06:07 PM

Quote:
I seriousley doubt that they will make a 7900gt for Agp thats VISTA ready. The Agp architecute on mobos are not sufficient enough to even run applications on VISTA. Therefore, nvidia dont plan on making the 7900 lines for agp, Its just too old, Today its all bout PCIe, and leave it at that. :twisted:

all i can say is what are you smoking?

It doesn't make any odds what bus the system is using!

I should know I have seen vista running very comfortably on an AGP system.
April 25, 2006 9:09:23 PM

Quote:
Not BS dude. The Gainward AGP 7900GT-in-7800GS clothing has been known for some time.

Google it...

O rly? I thought a core had to be modified considerably to fit a new interface. Regardless, it's so damn expensive who can possibly justify buying the thing since it would be cheaper to get a PCI-E card and a new mobo?
April 25, 2006 9:11:01 PM

It may infact be a 7900 chip but because of the bridge used the drivers only recognise the highest chip which is currently supported by nvidia is the 7800gs for agp. Other reason is that they are most likely using the pci-e to agp bridge from the 7800gs so they are not able to modify the tag that is given to the bridge that comes from nvidia.

That is a steal at £299.95 if it is infact a 7900 agp chip.

I doubt it was built for Vista considering the 7900gtx and 1900xtx are not even made for Vista. :roll:
April 25, 2006 9:12:01 PM

current Nv AGP cards use a chip called HSI (high speed interconnect) that converts the signal from a native PCIe chip to the AGP bus.

This is likely how they achieved it
April 25, 2006 9:17:31 PM

Quote:
current Nv AGP cards use a chip called HSI (high speed interconnect) that converts the signal from a native PCIe chip to the AGP bus.

This is likely how they achieved it

Any performance loss due to extra latency? Is it expensive to implement? If it's that easy, why haven't we seen this more often?
April 25, 2006 9:20:25 PM

Quote:
It may infact be a 7900 chip but because of the bridge used the drivers only recognise the highest chip which is currently supported by nvidia is the 7800gs for agp. Other reason is that they are most likely using the pci-e to agp bridge from the 7800gs so they are not able to modify the tag that is given to the bridge that comes from nvidia.

That is a steal at £299.95 if it is infact a 7900 agp chip.

I doubt it was built for Vista considering the 7900gtx and 1900xtx are not even made for Vista. :roll:

Isn't 299 pounds like 534.475 USD ? A 7900gt PCI-E runs 300..
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 9:22:27 PM

Perhaps we haven't seen it before as the big push towards PCI-E meant that no-one bothered, the original 7800GS uses HSI as does the 6600GT I believe which was originally a PCI-E chip that they bridged to AGP.

Its not the first time this has happened, also gainward have had a habit of pushing the envelope of the reference designs.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 9:33:27 PM

And with regards to the cost, several people have stated that you can get a PCI-E board and GPU for less than this card, don't forget the CPU, and possibly the PSU, and you'll probably end up with a 64Bit version of the CPU that you already had, and no extra power.

I've checked out a decent upgrade, mid range processor, decent Mobo (SLI ready) and a 7900 as that is what we are talking about and the cost comes to about £700 in the UK. Yes you canget cheaper PCI-E cards, but like for like this is by far the cheaper option. Throw in a decent PSU and it'll cost an extra £75-90. It does appear to be a card for europe. I would say to vascular that the price is ex VAT so really its £350.

£350 Vs £775 and the rebuild hassle. But knowing that you'll have to spend that extra in 12-18 months. Its a tricky balance, but not as simple as you can buy the same for less.

And how much does the CPU effect FPS, isn't the GPU the primary driver, add to that the AGP bus is not saturated, and it looks like this will give decent performance, which is all that people are after, if bleeding edge performance was needed we would have upgraded a long time ago.
April 25, 2006 9:45:27 PM

Quote:
And with regards to the cost, several people have stated that you can get a PCI-E board and GPU for less than this card, don't forget the CPU, and possibly the PSU, and you'll probably end up with a 64Bit version of the CPU that you already had, and no extra power.

I've checked out a decent upgrade, mid range processor, decent Mobo (SLI ready) and a 7900 as that is what we are talking about and the cost comes to about £700 in the UK. Yes you canget cheaper PCI-E cards, but like for like this is by far the cheaper option. Throw in a decent PSU and it'll cost an extra £75-90. It does appear to be a card for europe. I would say to vascular that the price is ex VAT so really its £350.

£350 Vs £775 and the rebuild hassle. But knowing that you'll have to spend that extra in 12-18 months. Its a tricky balance, but not as simple as you can buy the same for less.

And how much does the CPU effect FPS, isn't the GPU the primary driver, add to that the AGP bus is not saturated, and it looks like this will give decent performance, which is all that people are after, if bleeding edge performance was needed we would have upgraded a long time ago.

For AMD users, the only weak link is the motherboard. You can easily use your old memory/CPU etc. You would only have to throw out your old CPU if you are an Intel 478 user, but not 775. Besides, it's not like your old equipment is worthless if you have to get rid of it. Ebay can salvage up some lost money.
April 25, 2006 9:45:42 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we haven't seen it before as the big push towards PCI-E meant that no-one bothered, the original 7800GS uses HSI as does the 6600GT I believe which was originally a PCI-E chip that they bridged to AGP.

Its not the first time this has happened, also gainward have had a habit of pushing the envelope of the reference designs.

The 6600gt is a native PCIe part. I have the AGP variant with the HSI chip. As I recall the chip was developed in order to convert native AGP parts to PCIe for geforce FX. It is in fact reversible so I think that it relatively mature.

I'm not sure about any latency. I think that the agp boards are just as quick as their PCIe counterparts.
As far why they haven't done it more, possible because of a price premium - my agp 6600gt was more expensive than the PCIe models and probably market demand. I'm sure if Nvidia felt that they could make some money on it they would release the ref designs to their OEMs.
I think there is an assumption that most enthusiasts looking for top flight gear will be willing to accept the move to the PCIe mobo as well.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 9:48:36 PM

Haven't figured out how to have a sig yet, (or quotes as I am sure you have noticed) but I'm running Socket A, so new CPU is required. And with the impending Intel Vs AMD battle coming up I'm not really sure which is the best way to go, if you know what I mean. I think that Socket A owners are the only group that are stuck. As most other sockets have a PCI-E mobo open to them.
April 25, 2006 9:54:38 PM

when you want to quote some one you can click on quote at the top of their post.

Edit your profile if you want to add a sig.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 10:05:31 PM

Quote:
I've also been eyeing an ATI X800 Pro that I saw at Best Buy for $330. I do have a $130 gift certificate to apply towards it. Would this provide a substantial performance increase over my current card? What might be some other AGP cards in that price range for me to consider?

Way over priced for a X800 pro. By all means if you plan to spend that much, grab the BFG 7800GS, which is on sale this week for $319.99 and destroys the X800 pro. That's about as good an AGP card as we can buy in the USA as Gainwards are not sold in North America anymore.

To some degree you will be cpu/system limited in some games. But I wouldn't worry about that as you can still get some extra eye candy out of this card. A P4 3.06 running 1GB Rambus is pretty close to a P4C 2.8 on i875p, and to me that's good enough that if you are not willing to build a PCI-e rig, then a 7800GS would be a great option.

Some Bestbuy stores may even still have the BFG 6800GS for about $225-250, which while not a good price as they can be found for around $200, it works well with your gift certificate. The 6800GS AGP is not quite X800 pro performance at stock speeds, but close enough.

Also remeber Bestbuy matches prices so if Circuitcity, compusa, etc. have an in store ad with a good price, bring it in for a match and then use your gift certificate.

By the way, do you have a 9600 pro like in your post, or a 9700 pro like in your sig? While not a good upgrade from a 9700 pro, it's not bad going from a 9600 or 9600 pro. GF6600GT $150; not much money out of you pocket after the gift card: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7678532&t...
April 25, 2006 10:07:13 PM

You are correct I was thinking 7900gtx. :oops: 

Maybee not such a great deal on the card directly but since you would not have to up grade every thing else its not such a horrible alternative.

The reason why they dont sell more agp cards or offer the latest and greatest stuff is they would rather sell you a new motherboard to go along with that shiny new graphics card.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2006 10:44:37 PM

Quote:

A real question for you and the forum, not a smart a$$ question, I am legitimately interested, so here goes...What would make a card Vista ready? What specs about Vista are going to be that taxing as to force AGP into a more permanent retirement? How graphics insane is the GUI in Vista to need more GPU power and badnwidth?

If this is for real and Vista is going to be that GPU intensive, then I better think about ditching my old and faithful AGP...which sucks because I'm running a dual opty set-up on a Tyan S2885...the next board up would be the Tyan S2892 or the S2895, combined with a new PCIe GPU, that actually comes to real money!
April 25, 2006 11:17:46 PM

Quote:

A real question for you and the forum, not a smart a$$ question, I am legitimately interested, so here goes...What would make a card Vista ready? What specs about Vista are going to be that taxing as to force AGP into a more permanent retirement? How graphics insane is the GUI in Vista to need more GPU power and badnwidth?

If this is for real and Vista is going to be that GPU intensive, then I better think about ditching my old and faithful AGP...which sucks because I'm running a dual opty set-up on a Tyan S2885...the next board up would be the Tyan S2892 or the S2895, combined with a new PCIe GPU, that actually comes to real money!
DX10. I don't think it will be that "GPU intensive", considering Intel's newest lines of integrated video will run it.
April 25, 2006 11:19:30 PM

Quote:
Haven't figured out how to have a sig yet, (or quotes as I am sure you have noticed) but I'm running Socket A, so new CPU is required. And with the impending Intel Vs AMD battle coming up I'm not really sure which is the best way to go, if you know what I mean. I think that Socket A owners are the only group that are stuck. As most other sockets have a PCI-E mobo open to them.

If you are still using Socket A, a high-end graphics card should not even be considered. An old CPU like that will bottleneck a 7800 silly. I was referring to 939/754 users.
April 26, 2006 6:49:24 AM

Quote:
I've also been eyeing an ATI X800 Pro that I saw at Best Buy for $330. I do have a $130 gift certificate to apply towards it. Would this provide a substantial performance increase over my current card? What might be some other AGP cards in that price range for me to consider?

Way over priced for a X800 pro. By all means if you plan to spend that much, grab the BFG 7800GS, which is on sale this week for $319.99 and destroys the X800 pro. That's about as good an AGP card as we can buy in the USA as Gainwards are not sold in North America anymore.

To some degree you will be cpu/system limited in some games. But I wouldn't worry about that as you can still get some extra eye candy out of this card. A P4 3.06 running 1GB Rambus is pretty close to a P4C 2.8 on i875p, and to me that's good enough that if you are not willing to build a PCI-e rig, then a 7800GS would be a great option.

Some Bestbuy stores may even still have the BFG 6800GS for about $225-250, which while not a good price as they can be found for around $200, it works well with your gift certificate. The 6800GS AGP is not quite X800 pro performance at stock speeds, but close enough.

Also remeber Bestbuy matches prices so if Circuitcity, compusa, etc. have an in store ad with a good price, bring it in for a match and then use your gift certificate.

By the way, do you have a 9600 pro like in your post, or a 9700 pro like in your sig? While not a good upgrade from a 9700 pro, it's not bad going from a 9600 or 9600 pro. GF6600GT $150; not much money out of you pocket after the gift card: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7678532&t...

Thanks for the info. Its a 9600 Pro All in Wonder. I'd love to build up a new system with PCI-E and everything, but I still think that I have some good usefull life to be had from my current system. I think spending about $200 to $250 for a video card upgrade would get me a good year out of my system. Then when I am ready for my next build (I plan on budgeting about $3 to $4k) Direct X 10 cards should have been out for a little while along with Vista for some of its kinks to get worked out.

The GeForce 6600 doesnt sounds like a bad deal. I'm definately going to consider that one. I would love to be able to run Oblivion at a decent rate so I'm willing to spend a few more bucks if needed to run it at a good framerate/settings. I have a 20" LCD for my primary display so I prefer to run at 1600x1200 as much as possible.

UPDATE/EDIT
=========

I did some bidding on Ebay last night/this morning and I was able to pick up an ATI 850 Pro 256 Meg for $163.09 + shipping. I'm pretty sure its used but I'm fairly certain I was able to get a good card at a good price.

I guess now the question is how well can this card overclock should I choose to go that route?
April 26, 2006 8:35:00 AM

Quote:

DX10. I don't think it will be that "GPU intensive", considering Intel's newest lines of integrated video will run it.

I suppose it really depends on how you define "Vista Ready"?

If we are talking capable of running it, then a DX9 card will run it (maybe even DX8!). Even if UI performance is rubbish then you can disable all the graphical features.

Therefore, you might say that cards back to geforce FX/Radeon 9700 are vista ready.

Actually, think about all the beta testers out there, no one has a dx10 card yet. They have to be able to run it some how! And thats with the eye candy on.

If you define it as being able to handle all of the graphical effects at the native DX10 version, then we are going to be waiting until some DX10 cards come out.
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2006 7:43:14 PM

Quote:
I have a 20" LCD for my primary display so I prefer to run at 1600x1200 as much as possible

Wow, forget a 6600GT then for sure. I'm thinking with a desire to game at 1600x1200 on an LCD, I would have made the switch to PCI-e for sure.

You got a good price on the AGP X850 pro. It's about = to a X800XL and 6800GT, and better than the X800 pro, X800GTO, 6800GS.
April 26, 2006 8:23:16 PM

Wow, forget a 6600GT then for sure. I'm thinking with a desire to game at 1600x1200 on an LCD, I would have made the switch to PCI-e for sure.

You got a good price on the AGP X850 pro. It's about = to a X800XL and 6800GT, and better than the X800 pro, X800GTO, 6800GS.[/quote]

A switch to PCI-E will always be the dream for now... I would have done it but I didnt have to buy new RAM and CPU to do the switch. Add in the price of a motherboard and video card and I'm in way over what I wanted to do. I think spending the $160 on the card to hold me over for a year until I build a gangbusters system will do the trick.

I'm investigating the possibility to flash the BIOS as well that would basically turn this card into an X850 XT PE. It seems that people running the AGP version of the X850 Pro have had decent success at doing so. I'm probably going to put $30 into an upgraded cooling system as well.
April 26, 2006 8:50:50 PM

The only good thing about that new release is not the card in itself, but that it might make the prices go down faster on mid-range AGP cards.
April 26, 2006 9:08:37 PM

Quote:

Have you used Vista? Even tried the beta? Have you looked at the specifications? Not sure how you expect that the OS is going to require more bus bandwith from the graphics sub-system than say Quake4. Were you born retarded, or did you just grow up that way? Since the GMA950 is 'Vista Ready', I highly doubt AGP will be a problem, especially since the applications don't run on the video card.
April 26, 2006 10:01:11 PM

Trust me, Bluntside doesn't know what he's talking about; an X1900 XTX isn't bandwidth limited on PCIe 8x, so Vista certainly won't be. He is suggesting Vista will require an extreme GPU, I suggest he read up on Vista a bit more.
April 26, 2006 10:32:29 PM

HAY GUYS I JAST WANNA SAY THAT MY MX440 GETS A HIGH 3DMARK AND YOUR SHOULD KNOW THAT NVIDIA RULEZ!!!!ONEONEONE
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest
!