Partitioning Hard Drive

I Recently Try reinstall my Win98 after I have been install two OSs which Win
98 ,(XP on Virtual drive,ie. win98 have just 1 partition which is C:) then I
tried to have just Win98 but now I can't create more than 1 Partiton, is that
because XP upgraded my FAT32 to NTFS, and what is the solution to do more
partitions on the hard drive without using third buggy software party on my
Computer.
And when I try to use the Win98 now and try to use my AVERT of Macfee, the
System telling me it's out of Date and it's not because it is the latest one?
any help will be approciated thanks in advance,
Nasser
17 answers Last reply
More about partitioning hard drive

    nass wrote:
    > I Recently Try reinstall my Win98 after I have been install two OSs which Win
    > 98 ,(XP on Virtual drive,ie. win98 have just 1 partition which is C:) then I
    > tried to have just Win98 but now I can't create more than 1 Partiton, is that
    > because XP upgraded my FAT32 to NTFS, and what is the solution to do more
    > partitions on the hard drive without using third buggy software party on my
    > Computer.

    Hey, wake up!
    You ARE already using "buggy software" as your OS cannot comply with
    industry standard of four partitions max. on any hard drive.
    And this was established before MS-DOS came into beying.

    > And when I try to use the Win98 now and try to use my AVERT of Macfee, the
    > System telling me it's out of Date and it's not because it is the latest one?

    Who/what is McAfee? Why do you need it?

    > any help will be approciated thanks in advance,
    > Nasser

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:53:39 GMT, Stanislaw Flatto <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au>
    wrote:

    >Who/what is McAfee? Why do you need it?

    Huh?

    >Stanislaw
    >Slack user from Ulladulla.

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    I will have fun, thank you?, but if the Monkey can't tell what is the problem
    and the solution, shouldn't ask for a bnana and think he is a smart, with my
    respect to the good users of this site, you can't just talk rubish and think
    it is funy, if you think you are here for fun time you are wasting your time
    and learn how to be a man!
    with regret to answer you back?
    nass

    John wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:53:39 GMT, Stanislaw Flatto <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Who/what is McAfee? Why do you need it?
    >>

    > Huh?

    Yes.

    >>Stanislaw
    >>Slack user from Ulladulla.
    >

    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    Substituting 14 words for the original 2.
    Are you by chance a lawyer?

    Stanislaw,

    If you can't be of assistance, perhaps you should desist from posting.
    Your two posts to this thread are nonsensical.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    > > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:53:39 GMT, Stanislaw Flatto
    <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>Who/what is McAfee? Why do you need it?
    > >>

    > > Huh?
    >
    > Yes.
    >

    > >>Stanislaw
    > >>Slack user from Ulladulla.
    > >

    > > John <><
    > >
    > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
    >
    > Substituting 14 words for the original 2.
    > Are you by chance a lawyer?

    Thanks Gary,I did go to MS Secuirty and did download Spybot and found that I
    have( Alexa Related and DSO exploit) in my registry and removed them,funy I
    have Lavasoft installed but didn't detect these malware and also keep telling
    me to update and when go to up date say no up date available funy! controoled
    by the Malware. I thought I have Boot sector but n't sure, well I keep try
    good test for me and if there's any further help w'll be great thanks !
    nass

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Stanislaw,
    >
    > If you can't be of assistance, perhaps you should desist from posting.
    > Your two posts to this thread are nonsensical.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
    > > John wrote:
    > > > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:53:39 GMT, Stanislaw Flatto
    > <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au>

    > > > Huh?
    > >
    > > Yes.

    > > > John <><
    > > >
    > > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > > > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
    > >
    > > Substituting 14 words for the original 2.
    > > Are you by chance a lawyer?

    Nass,

    Those particular exploits are not anything to be concerned about. They
    are, in fact, put there by Internet Explorer. Most people simply tell
    Spybot to stop detecting those particular errors.

    As for your original post, I'll be honest, I can't quite tell exactly
    what you are trying to say. Could you please try again, rephrasing your
    issue, so that we can make another attempt at understanding? I simply
    can't quite picture exactly what it is that you are trying to explain.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "nass" <nass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Gary,I did go to MS Secuirty and did download Spybot and found
    that I
    > have( Alexa Related and DSO exploit) in my registry and removed
    them,funy I
    > have Lavasoft installed but didn't detect these malware and also keep
    telling
    > me to update and when go to up date say no up date available funy!
    controoled
    > by the Malware. I thought I have Boot sector but n't sure, well I keep
    try
    > good test for me and if there's any further help w'll be great thanks
    !
    > nass

    LOL, now I have to read that verse in Exodus!

    "Stanislaw Flatto" wrote:

    > John wrote:
    > > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:53:39 GMT, Stanislaw Flatto <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>Who/what is McAfee? Why do you need it?
    > >>

    > > Huh?
    >
    > Yes.
    >

    > >>Stanislaw
    > >>Slack user from Ulladulla.
    > >

    > > John <><
    > >
    > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
    >
    > Substituting 14 words for the original 2.
    > Are you by chance a lawyer?

    Good point, but at least Stanislaw doesn't rant as I am guilty of and as Jane
    continues to do. Jane I encourage you to talk to a pscychologist to work out
    your problems. It is helping me return to normal. I hope and pray for you
    Jane but please try to refrain from hating everyone because love makes the
    world go around. In addition, the golden rule is to do unto others as they
    will do unto you and this advice is good for you too Stanislaw!

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Stanislaw,
    >
    > If you can't be of assistance, perhaps you should desist from posting.
    > Your two posts to this thread are nonsensical.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
    > > John wrote:
    > > > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:53:39 GMT, Stanislaw Flatto
    > <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au>

    > > > Huh?
    > >
    > > Yes.

    > > > John <><
    > > >
    > > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > > > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
    > >
    > > Substituting 14 words for the original 2.
    > > Are you by chance a lawyer?

    DSO exploits and their hacks --- I hope those people get what is coming to
    them in the next life and I will leave it at that because I spend so many
    hours fixing computers and remote hack attempts that are setup via the
    registry after bad programs are installed. WE WILL WIN THE BATTLE AGAINST
    THE ENEMIES OF THE STATE!

    "nass" wrote:

    > Thanks Gary,I did go to MS Secuirty and did download Spybot and found that I
    > have( Alexa Related and DSO exploit) in my registry and removed them,funy I
    > have Lavasoft installed but didn't detect these malware and also keep telling
    > me to update and when go to up date say no up date available funy! controoled
    > by the Malware. I thought I have Boot sector but n't sure, well I keep try
    > good test for me and if there's any further help w'll be great thanks !
    > nass
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Stanislaw,
    > >
    > > If you can't be of assistance, perhaps you should desist from posting.
    > > Your two posts to this thread are nonsensical.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
    > > <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au>

    > > > Yes.

    > > > Substituting 14 words for the original 2.
    > > > Are you by chance a lawyer?

    Alexa is a tracker Gary even though it is not that bad -- marketing agreement
    between Microsoft and Alexa. You are right that DSO entry is an error with
    Spybot Search and Destroy as the author has acknowledged. However, I have
    been able to eliminate it. BTW, I was working on my system and now I have
    only one load power profile and no I did not remove it from the msconfig.exe
    -- I just know about how to do this. Gary, email me at
    dew1975muggle@hotmail.com if you are interested

    Just remove the mugggle --- LOL!!

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Nass,
    >
    > Those particular exploits are not anything to be concerned about. They
    > are, in fact, put there by Internet Explorer. Most people simply tell
    > Spybot to stop detecting those particular errors.
    >
    > As for your original post, I'll be honest, I can't quite tell exactly
    > what you are trying to say. Could you please try again, rephrasing your
    > issue, so that we can make another attempt at understanding? I simply
    > can't quite picture exactly what it is that you are trying to explain.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "nass" <nass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Gary,I did go to MS Secuirty and did download Spybot and found
    > that I
    > > have( Alexa Related and DSO exploit) in my registry and removed
    > them,funy I
    > > have Lavasoft installed but didn't detect these malware and also keep
    > telling
    > > me to update and when go to up date say no up date available funy!
    > controoled
    > > by the Malware. I thought I have Boot sector but n't sure, well I keep
    > try
    > > good test for me and if there's any further help w'll be great thanks
    > !
    > > nass

    If all John does is have a scripture verse in his signature then I think that
    is harmless. Now Jane on the other hand is definately in need of
    pschycological help before she does something like commit suicide or hurt
    herself due to extreme paranoia -- I know I was there before I met and talked
    with my pschycologist and he helped me see the power of greed in the hearts
    of humankind. That one word gave me the key to life and helped me to focus
    again on my life. Have a nice day and remember the golden rule --- Do unto

    "nass" wrote:

    > I will have fun, thank you?, but if the Monkey can't tell what is the problem
    > and the solution, shouldn't ask for a bnana and think he is a smart, with my
    > respect to the good users of this site, you can't just talk rubish and think
    > it is funy, if you think you are here for fun time you are wasting your time
    > and learn how to be a man!
    > with regret to answer you back?
    > nass
    >
    > "Stanislaw Flatto" wrote:
    >
    > > nass wrote:
    > > > I Recently Try reinstall my Win98 after I have been install two OSs which Win
    > > > 98 ,(XP on Virtual drive,ie. win98 have just 1 partition which is C:) then I
    > > > tried to have just Win98 but now I can't create more than 1 Partiton, is that
    > > > because XP upgraded my FAT32 to NTFS, and what is the solution to do more
    > > > partitions on the hard drive without using third buggy software party on my
    > > > Computer.
    > >
    > > Hey, wake up!
    > > You ARE already using "buggy software" as your OS cannot comply with
    > > industry standard of four partitions max. on any hard drive.
    > > And this was established before MS-DOS came into beying.
    > >
    > > > And when I try to use the Win98 now and try to use my AVERT of Macfee, the
    > > > System telling me it's out of Date and it's not because it is the latest one?
    > >
    > > Who/what is McAfee? Why do you need it?
    > >
    > > > any help will be approciated thanks in advance,
    > > > Nasser
    > >
    > > Have fun
    > >
    > > Stanislaw
    > > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    I don't know why all the fuss about my thread of these guys?, they looks like
    in stars wars episode!, my problem Gary in simple way direct is , I can't do
    many partititon on my hard drive ( multi partitions ), I done partition many
    times before and install OSs successfully and partition hard drives of my
    Laptop and Desktop many times like a fresh breath of air,will this time it
    doesn't want to know what I want to do or responed to Commands in the FDISK,
    keep create a primary partition of 2052Megs and the rest is extended or the
    whole of primary is the whole size of the Drive or the Disk,no more than 2052
    megs in the primary partition would like to accept, but no more partitions to
    be created, but I have my computer before this problem partition on 1
    partition and i the only one then I tried to install XP on the same drive
    (C),then Xp prefer to create what it call Virtual drive so that OKAY I just
    would like to try the Dual-Boot and see how the computer be or its
    performance,then I try to Delete some Values for MISS ALEXA which I know by
    heart, bad luch I deleted further than wanted been intrrupted by phone call
    press the selected item and deleted it mistakenly. So n't bad I tried the
    Dual-Boot in one drive ,what about if I could manage to do on
    Multi-Partitions, before I did accept the situation as I didnt have time to
    Partition and Install Win98 then XP,but I couldn't create more than 1
    partition, computer slow and looks like would like to say something to me...
    OKAY I have been on the internet after install my Win98 without Firwall or
    Anti-Virus protection,but no more than check my email through the web page of
    my browser,I thought may be I have a virus so scan with the AVERT but
    computer keept telling me that the AVERT is out of date and it is not, so I
    came here to ask and get help may be I got the latest Model in the Virus
    Family
    so seeking help, after all of these and use the Spybot found the (DSO and
    ALEXA),which you saying is n't a problem why it is there what the benefit of
    having these if n't major enhancement in the Browser?.
    I deleted all of these and there some emprovement in the Computer now, but
    still it didn't explain why I can't do Multi-Partition in the begining. Is it
    because I did install XP and Converting the FAT32 to NTFS make it defficult
    to install Win98 I can't set up in my mind yet as I'm in real busy mode and
    lots of things due to job and study.
    Thanks Gary
    Nasser

    B.N Hi Rick,I think you need to give him a Loly pup n't telling him to go
    to Counselor
    best of luck to you Dan either way you will never manage to get well,unless
    you change yor mentality .What Do you think you are a geek ????!!
    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Nass,
    >
    > Those particular exploits are not anything to be concerned about. They
    > are, in fact, put there by Internet Explorer. Most people simply tell
    > Spybot to stop detecting those particular errors.
    >
    > As for your original post, I'll be honest, I can't quite tell exactly
    > what you are trying to say. Could you please try again, rephrasing your
    > issue, so that we can make another attempt at understanding? I simply
    > can't quite picture exactly what it is that you are trying to explain.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "nass" <nass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Gary,I did go to MS Secuirty and did download Spybot and found
    > that I
    > > have( Alexa Related and DSO exploit) in my registry and removed
    > them,funy I
    > > have Lavasoft installed but didn't detect these malware and also keep
    > telling
    > > me to update and when go to up date say no up date available funy!
    > controoled
    > > by the Malware. I thought I have Boot sector but n't sure, well I keep
    > try
    > > good test for me and if there's any further help w'll be great thanks
    > !
    > > nass

    Dan, you just gotta stop your incessant posting all over the place.
    It's getting to be a ridiculous joke now.
    This group is not your personal newsgroup to talk to yourself.

    Haven't you noticed everyone is being polite but still nOt answering you?
    ...but you still just keep posting - why?

    I'm sure you are a nice person, and I know you are a gentle kind soul.
    But you are way out line - you have been told so many times over the last few
    months, you even replied to some of the posts telling you that but either you
    just don't get it - or you are in a fantasy world - and now you seem to be on
    a campaign to overdue kissing up your adulation's towards everyone in hopes
    for recognition or something. You just aren't listening to what's real - if
    you are doing this in your real life then the same thing must be happening to
    you with people there. I'm not saying any of this to be mean or hurtful with
    my reply, and just because I posted to this thread it is totally random and
    had nothing to do with the OP because I could of put it to any of the
    thousand unanswered posts you keep making everywhere! - I'm just trying to
    tell you the reality of how it is. Maybe you are a special needs person and
    that's fine and an important consideration - I can and do respect that, but
    maybe you need to get in balance with your inner reality as it relates to the
    real world - get help with that.

    Please find a counselor or something similar as a place to talk and talk, but
    this forum is really not the place. I do wish you well........

    Rick

    theft at Target Corporation, theft at Microsoft, hacks from the government of
    China on my machine -- do you really want me to go on Rick?

    "Rick Chauvin" wrote:

    > Dan, you just gotta stop your incessant posting all over the place.
    > It's getting to be a ridiculous joke now.
    > This group is not your personal newsgroup to talk to yourself.
    >
    > Haven't you noticed everyone is being polite but still nOt answering you?
    > ...but you still just keep posting - why?
    >
    > I'm sure you are a nice person, and I know you are a gentle kind soul.
    > But you are way out line - you have been told so many times over the last few
    > months, you even replied to some of the posts telling you that but either you
    > just don't get it - or you are in a fantasy world - and now you seem to be on
    > a campaign to overdue kissing up your adulation's towards everyone in hopes
    > for recognition or something. You just aren't listening to what's real - if
    > you are doing this in your real life then the same thing must be happening to
    > you with people there. I'm not saying any of this to be mean or hurtful with
    > my reply, and just because I posted to this thread it is totally random and
    > had nothing to do with the OP because I could of put it to any of the
    > thousand unanswered posts you keep making everywhere! - I'm just trying to
    > tell you the reality of how it is. Maybe you are a special needs person and
    > that's fine and an important consideration - I can and do respect that, but
    > maybe you need to get in balance with your inner reality as it relates to the
    > real world - get help with that.
    >
    > Please find a counselor or something similar as a place to talk and talk, but
    > this forum is really not the place. I do wish you well........
    >
    > Rick

    OK, Nass, I'm still having a lot of difficulty understanding your
    problem. Let me see if I understand at least part of your problem.
    Ignore those other guys. Think of this as one big coffeehouse, where a
    lot of mechanics are sipping coffee and waiting to fix other people's
    problems, who also have continuing dialogues while they wait and work
    that have nothing to do with the customer.

    1. You can't add multiple primary partitions to your hard drive
    (*primary* partitions, not Extended volumes)?

    2. You can't create a primary partition any larger than ~2GB? You also
    can't create Volumes inside the Extended partition larger than ~2GB

    3. You are using FDISK to do all these chores?

    4. You already have partitions on the drive. Do they contain data or
    programs that you want to keep? Or can you afford to wipe all of the
    partitions off of the drive and start over?

    5. Please, ignore the Alexa "problem". Microsoft, just like many other
    good and legitimate programs, inserts components that might perhaps be
    useful to them or to a small number of users, but which really qualify
    as adware/spyware. You *can* delete Alexa DSO Exploits using Spybot, but
    they will just be replaced. They are really not problems, and it's more
    because of the logic that Spybot uses that it finds these and suggests
    removing them. Spybot is only a tool, it can only suggest actions, and
    in this case, as with some others, the proper action is to Ignore these
    items.

    I'm not sure what you mean when you way that Windows XP wishes to
    install a "Virtual" drive or partition, unless it's offering to use an
    Extended Volume and pretend that it's a Primary Partition. What I *do*
    know is that FDISK is a very limited tool. I prefer BootItNG from
    www.bootitng.com BING is a very good tool, but you have to learn how to
    use it.

    One of the problems you may be having with FDSIK is that you have to use
    the Windows 98 version (or above) and say "Yes" to the first prompt
    regarding Large Disk Support in order for it to create FAT32 partitions,
    and you have to use FAT32 in order to create partitions larger than 2GB.
    Also with FDISK, you can only create and delete partitions. You can't
    convert them to other file systems, you can't re-size them, and you
    can't move them.

    --

> [...]
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "nass" <nass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks Gary,I did go to MS Secuirty and did download Spybot and
    found
    > > that I
    > > > have( Alexa Related and DSO exploit) in my registry and removed
    > > them,funy I
    > > > have Lavasoft installed but didn't detect these malware and also
    keep
    > > telling
    > > > me to update and when go to up date say no up date available funy!
    > > controoled
    > > > by the Malware. I thought I have Boot sector but n't sure, well I
    keep
    > > try
    > > > good test for me and if there's any further help w'll be great

Hard Drives Windows XP Windows