Help ! Upgrading from se to XP fatal error at 0028:00000009

I'm trying to upgrade and when I run the compatibility checker it falls over

checking system files DVD player at 0028:00000009

I've no DVD player or CD ROM attached to the System

when I attach a CD its correctly seen in the BIOS but not recognised by win98se

I've tried different drives cables etc so I assume its a Win problem.

Which I was hoping to cure with the upgrade.

Very Frustrating.

Any help much appreciated
9 answers Last reply
More about help upgrading fatal error 0028 00000009

    You may have better luck posting your XP question in an XP newsgroup--we do
    W98 here.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    <chris@bundy.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to upgrade and when I run the compatibility checker it falls
    > over
    >
    > checking system files DVD player at 0028:00000009
    >
    > I've no DVD player or CD ROM attached to the System
    >
    > when I attach a CD its correctly seen in the BIOS but not recognised by
    > win98se
    >
    > I've tried different drives cables etc so I assume its a Win problem.
    >

    > Which I was hoping to cure with the upgrade.
    >

    > Very Frustrating.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated

    How is it not recognized, it isn't shown as a drive in Explorer/MyComputer or
    not shown in Device Manager?
    Exactly what type of drive is it, DVD/CD, CD-ROM, CD-RW, IDE, USB, etc., and if
    new is it listed as 98/SE compatible?
    Have you tried installing the driver manually?
    Have you tried the drive in another machine to rule out the drive or system?

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

    <chris@bundy.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to upgrade and when I run the compatibility checker it falls over
    >
    > checking system files DVD player at 0028:00000009
    >
    > I've no DVD player or CD ROM attached to the System
    >
    > when I attach a CD its correctly seen in the BIOS but not recognised by
    > win98se
    >
    > I've tried different drives cables etc so I assume its a Win problem.
    >

    > Which I was hoping to cure with the upgrade.
    >

    > Very Frustrating.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:34:57 -0500, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote:

    its win98 that's the problem, till I fix it I cant install xp

    >You may have better luck posting your XP question in an XP newsgroup--we do
    >W98 here.

    As I understand the problem, you are running the XP compatibility checker.
    If so, someone who never uses it (i.e., people in a W98 newsgroup) probably
    have no idea what the problem is. People in an XP group probably use (or
    have used) the checker and may answer questions about it. If Jeff's
    suggestion doesn't help, my first suggestion stands. Good luck.

    --

    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:34:57 -0500, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > its win98 that's the problem, till I fix it I cant install xp
    >
    >>You may have better luck posting your XP question in an XP newsgroup--we
    >>do
    >>W98 here.

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:53:12 -0500, "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:

    I've tried 2 drives one cdrw that used to be in this box and worked ok , and another CD ROM, both
    have been in other boxes,

    neither showed anywhere, I used to run daemon tools to provide Virtual CDs, even though
    I removed the program some drives still showed as if they were there. I finally got rid by editing
    the registry. this may be a contributor to the problem. I've never had a DVD hooked up

    I don't understand how you install manually. they are IDE.. if I run add new hardware it does not
    find it.

    Chris

    > I don't understand how you install manually. they are IDE.. if I run add new
    > hardware it does not
    > find it.

    When using "Add New Hardware", after Windows searches for new devices and it's
    not listed:

    Select "No, the device is not listed" and click "Next"
    Select "Yes" to have Windows search for Non Plug/Play hardware and click "Next"
    Click "Next" to begin search
    When the search is complete the next window will either show detected devices or
    inform you none were found, click Next to manually install.

    Select CD ROM controller > select your manufacturer if listed > select have disk
    > click next, browse to and select the location where the drivers are and click
    next.

    If the manufacturer or device is not listed, choose any one and click next >
    select have disk > click next, browse to and select the location where the
    drivers are and click next. You will get a warning tht the drivers you are
    installing are incorrect, make sure your path is to the location for the correct
    drivers for your drive and select to install anyway.

    Reboot when finished.

    Right click MyComputer
    Click Properties > Device Manager
    If your device is listed without conflicts you're done and good to go.
    If your device has a conflict, you need to resolve the conflict. Check the
    devices Properties > Resource tab.
    If your device is not listed but you now have a "Other" device, open the device
    properties, click the driver tab and select "Update driver". Browse to and
    select the location where the drivers are and click next.
    Reboot when finished

    --

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:37:30 -0500, "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:

    ><chris@bundy.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I don't understand how you install manually. they are IDE.. if I run add new
    >> hardware it does not
    >> find it.
    >
    > When using "Add New Hardware", after Windows searches for new devices and it's
    >not listed:
    >
    >Select "No, the device is not listed" and click "Next"
    >Select "Yes" to have Windows search for Non Plug/Play hardware and click "Next"
    >Click "Next" to begin search
    >When the search is complete the next window will either show detected devices or
    >inform you none were found, click Next to manually install.
    >
    >Select CD ROM controller > select your manufacturer if listed > select have disk
    > > click next, browse to and select the location where the drivers are and click
    >next.
    >
    >If the manufacturer or device is not listed, choose any one and click next >
    >select have disk > click next, browse to and select the location where the
    >drivers are and click next. You will get a warning tht the drivers you are
    >installing are incorrect, make sure your path is to the location for the correct
    >drivers for your drive and select to install anyway.
    >
    >Reboot when finished.
    >
    >Right click MyComputer
    >Click Properties > Device Manager
    >If your device is listed without conflicts you're done and good to go.
    >If your device has a conflict, you need to resolve the conflict. Check the
    >devices Properties > Resource tab.
    >If your device is not listed but you now have a "Other" device, open the device
    >properties, click the driver tab and select "Update driver". Browse to and
    >select the location where the drivers are and click next.
    >Reboot when finished

    I'm afraid there is no sign whatsoever it is just not seen, so no driver issues

    I've swapped cables, ide connections etc, so I know they are all working OK

    I'm sure its to do with either the DVD Player software that's screwed or some residual
    from daemon tools.

    Chris

    Did you try the manual install?

    If so, boot to Safe Mode > Device Manager and remove any/all devices listed
    under CD ROM.
    Reboot and see if the device is detected.

    If not, walking on egg shells check the registry HKLM\Enum key for any wayward
    devices that may still be present.

    --

    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:37:30 -0500, "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>
    > wrote:
    >
    >><chris@bundy.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I don't understand how you install manually. they are IDE.. if I run add new
    >>> hardware it does not
    >>> find it.
    >>
    >> When using "Add New Hardware", after Windows searches for new devices and
    >> it's
    >>not listed:
    >>
    >>Select "No, the device is not listed" and click "Next"
    >>Select "Yes" to have Windows search for Non Plug/Play hardware and click
    >>"Next"
    >>Click "Next" to begin search
    >>When the search is complete the next window will either show detected devices
    >>or
    >>inform you none were found, click Next to manually install.
    >>
    >>Select CD ROM controller > select your manufacturer if listed > select have
    >>disk
    >> > click next, browse to and select the location where the drivers are and
    >> > click
    >>next.
    >>
    >>If the manufacturer or device is not listed, choose any one and click next >
    >>select have disk > click next, browse to and select the location where the
    >>drivers are and click next. You will get a warning tht the drivers you are
    >>installing are incorrect, make sure your path is to the location for the
    >>correct
    >>drivers for your drive and select to install anyway.
    >>
    >>Reboot when finished.
    >>
    >>Right click MyComputer
    >>Click Properties > Device Manager
    >>If your device is listed without conflicts you're done and good to go.
    >>If your device has a conflict, you need to resolve the conflict. Check the
    >>devices Properties > Resource tab.
    >>If your device is not listed but you now have a "Other" device, open the
    >>device
    >>properties, click the driver tab and select "Update driver". Browse to and
    >>select the location where the drivers are and click next.
    >>Reboot when finished
    >
    > I'm afraid there is no sign whatsoever it is just not seen, so no driver
    > issues
    >
    > I've swapped cables, ide connections etc, so I know they are all working OK
    >
    > I'm sure its to do with either the DVD Player software that's screwed or some
    > residual
    > from daemon tools.
    >
    > Chris

    Boot to safe mode and delete any devices that aren't currently connected.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    <chris@bundy.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:34:57 -0500, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > its win98 that's the problem, till I fix it I cant install xp
    >
    >>You may have better luck posting your XP question in an XP newsgroup--we
    >>do
    >>W98 here.

DVD Players CD-Rom Windows XP Windows