Scandisk on large drives

So, okay, I've gotten past the 128GB recognition barrier in 98SE, and I've
found a defrag that will work on large drives under Win98.
I can't find a scandisk or diskchecking program for large drives in Win98.
If I can find one, I will be able to run a disc over 128GB on my mobo under
Win98.
Has anyone come across a scandisc or checkdisc program for large drives that
will run under Win98?
Win98's scandisc won't even run on the drive on a controller card. The
typical 'out of memory' error occurs on any drive over 128GB even when
Windows now sees the drive properly.

i am just taking at stab at this, but did you try doing the scandisk in DOS ?

"Duradan" wrote:

> So, okay, I've gotten past the 128GB recognition barrier in 98SE, and I've
> found a defrag that will work on large drives under Win98.
> I can't find a scandisk or diskchecking program for large drives in Win98.
> If I can find one, I will be able to run a disc over 128GB on my mobo under
> Win98.
> Has anyone come across a scandisc or checkdisc program for large drives that
> will run under Win98?
> Win98's scandisc won't even run on the drive on a controller card. The
> typical 'out of memory' error occurs on any drive over 128GB even when
> Windows now sees the drive properly.

Even with a controller card scandisk should run. I have 160GB hd's on a Promise
Ultra 133TX-2 controller card and no problems with scandisk.

How full is your drive? If it's near full capacity then you need to clear out
some files/apps.
You also shouldn't have any apps running which can cause problems while running
scandisk. Shutdown all running apps before running scandisk.

Have you tried running scandisk in Safe Mode or DOS?

To run it in DOS:

Start the machine to the boot menu and select Command Prompt Only
At the Prompt type and then press Enter:

scandisk /? (the /? switch will bring up scandisk help on switches/commands)

Simply typing scandisk at the prompt and pressing will execute it.

Here's some quick reference:
http://www.computerhope.com/software/scandisk.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko