startup problem

After uninstalled NAV 2000,when the windows starts I get this error message:
Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
application. The Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device
file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on
purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or
setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this
device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRAM1\SYMANTEC\SYTEVNT.386

Download/run Symantec's uninstaller Rnav.exe.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2002061016251406&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl

or if the link breaks
http://tinyurl.com/ubwy

Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal
utility when Add/Remove programs fails
Situation:
You tried to remove Norton AntiVirus 5.0/2000/2001/2002/2003 by using Add/Remove
Programs, but that process failed. This document describes how to use the
Rnav2003.exe utility to uninstall Norton AntiVirus.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"mkyong" <mkyong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After uninstalled NAV 2000,when the windows starts I get this error message:
> Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
> application. The Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device
> file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on
> purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or
> setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this
> device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.
> C:\PROGRAM1\SYMANTEC\SYTEVNT.386

Perhaps SYMEVNT.386 is what you mean?

You should check with Symantec for a solution but try this:
(probably in safe mode)

Use Regedit.exe and remove any reference to Symevnt.386
Start-Run-Regedit.
Navigate down to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD
Expand VXD, find Symevnt and delete if there.
Restart the computer when finished.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, mkyong
<mkyong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After uninstalled NAV 2000,when the windows starts I get this error message:
>Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
>application. The Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device
>file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on
>purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or
>setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this
>device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.
>C:\PROGRAM1\SYMANTEC\SYTEVNT.386

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Brian and Alan, I wonder if this will teach people to give up on Symantec.