startup problem

After uninstalled NAV 2000,when the windows starts I get this error message:
Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
application. The Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device
file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on
purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or
setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this
device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRAM1\SYMANTEC\SYTEVNT.386
3 answers Last reply
More about startup problem

    Download/run Symantec's uninstaller Rnav.exe.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2002061016251406&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl

    or if the link breaks
    http://tinyurl.com/ubwy

    Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal
    utility when Add/Remove programs fails
    Situation:
    You tried to remove Norton AntiVirus 5.0/2000/2001/2002/2003 by using Add/Remove
    Programs, but that process failed. This document describes how to use the
    Rnav2003.exe utility to uninstall Norton AntiVirus.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

    "mkyong" <mkyong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After uninstalled NAV 2000,when the windows starts I get this error message:
    > Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
    > application. The Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device
    > file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on
    > purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or
    > setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this
    > device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.
    > C:\PROGRAM1\SYMANTEC\SYTEVNT.386

    Perhaps SYMEVNT.386 is what you mean?

    You should check with Symantec for a solution but try this:
    (probably in safe mode)

    Use Regedit.exe and remove any reference to Symevnt.386
    Start-Run-Regedit.
    Navigate down to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD
    Expand VXD, find Symevnt and delete if there.
    Restart the computer when finished.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, mkyong
    <mkyong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >After uninstalled NAV 2000,when the windows starts I get this error message:
    >Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
    >application. The Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device
    >file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on
    >purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or
    >setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this
    >device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.
    >C:\PROGRAM1\SYMANTEC\SYTEVNT.386

    Brian and Alan, I wonder if this will teach people to give up on Symantec.

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > Download/run Symantec's uninstaller Rnav.exe.
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2002061016251406&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl
    >
    > or if the link breaks
    > http://tinyurl.com/ubwy
    >
    > Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal
    > utility when Add/Remove programs fails
    > Situation:
    > You tried to remove Norton AntiVirus 5.0/2000/2001/2002/2003 by using Add/Remove
    > Programs, but that process failed. This document describes how to use the
    > Rnav2003.exe utility to uninstall Norton AntiVirus.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "mkyong" <mkyong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After uninstalled NAV 2000,when the windows starts I get this error message:
    > > Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
    > > application. The Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device
    > > file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on
    > > purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or
    > > setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this
    > > device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.
    > > C:\PROGRAM1\SYMANTEC\SYTEVNT.386

Devices Error Message Microsoft Windows