what the hell is a processor upgrade?

cooldude

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
whenever i go to any pc shopping site, i find this term 'processor upgrade' can u tell me what it means?

thanx a lot

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
whenever i go to any pc shopping site, i find this term 'processor upgrade' can u tell me what it means?

thanx a lot
Well, in any modern PC, the "processor," or "CPU," is (fairly) easy to replace. Hence, a number of various processors can be used instead. Hence, the idea of a "processor upgrade" is to buy a new, faster, processor, and use it to replace an older, slower, processor that's already being used.

This used to be a rather popular idea back in the 1990's, but really often makes little sense today. Since you have to make sure you get a processor that's COMPATIBLE with the existing PC's processor socket, and they tend to change every couple years or so, (even more often than they change names) you often don't get much of a choice in selection.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
It means getteing a newer better processor than you currnet one! Better speed better performance, better everything, just be shure that you have the correct mobo for the correct cpu :twisted: