AGP in bios

AGP in Everest and Aida is showing as being disabled.
The message reads; AGP is disabled. This may cause performance
penalty.'

I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I think.
The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
AGP fastwrite - disabled
AGP master write - disabled
AGP master read - disabled
AGP driving control - auto
AGP mode - 4X
AGP aperture size - 64

Everest and Aida suggest that AGP in general is disabled,
can anyone shed some light. (especially as to where to look to see
if it is in fact enabled or otherwise)

Gordon Thiele.
20 answers Last reply
More about bios

    fastwrite masterwrite and masterread are what 'makes' agp try resetting them
    to Auto
    http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/downloads/20410.htm?page=1
    is a long article but useful
    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _

    gordon thiele wrote:

    > AGP in Everest and Aida is showing as being disabled.
    > The message reads; AGP is disabled. This may cause performance
    > penalty.'
    >
    > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I think.
    > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
    > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > AGP master write - disabled
    > AGP master read - disabled
    > AGP driving control - auto
    > AGP mode - 4X
    > AGP aperture size - 64
    >
    > Everest and Aida suggest that AGP in general is disabled,
    > can anyone shed some light. (especially as to where to look to see
    > if it is in fact enabled or otherwise)

    I think you should locate appropriate motherboard chipset drivers, this
    will include the AGP bus driver, and install that to get hardware (i.e.
    possibly your graphics card) on your AGP bus running AGP-enabled.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Locating and installing the proper chipset drivers is a good idea, if
    they aren't already installed.

    However, such an exercise will not enable those functions if they're
    disabled in BIOS, which appears to be the case.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    > Locating and installing the proper chipset drivers is a good idea, if
    > they aren't already installed.
    >
    > However, such an exercise will not enable those functions if they're
    > disabled in BIOS, which appears to be the case.

    'those functions'

    -quote begin-
    > > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I think.
    > > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
    > > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > > AGP master write - disabled
    > > AGP master read - disabled
    > > AGP driving control - auto
    > > AGP mode - 4X
    > > AGP aperture size - 64
    -quote end-

    I don't know what 'master write/read' is, but took 'driving control -
    auto' to mean that AGP might be functional with approriate drivers
    installed. And i did write "I think you should ...", as in no harm with
    trying and easy to do.

    The poster didn't state computer/motherboard/MB chipset/, or whether the
    graphics where integrated on the motherboard or not.

    In my main PC i have a Nvidia GeForce 3 based card in the AGP slot on
    the motherboard. 2 items 'Fastwrite' and 'Sideband addressing' are
    disabled in the graphics cards BIOS, and only accessible by using
    tweaking sowtware. When people asked if/how to enable them over in
    a.c.p.videocards.nvidia many an answer was to leave them disabled
    because they could make your system unstable. Things may be different
    for newer chips, but then it would probably have been 'mode - 8X'.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    I never said your suggestion was a bad one, only that it didn't address
    the OP's specific concerns. And you're right in pointing out that one
    reason they might be disabled in the first place was that enabling them
    might introduce instability. But any further suggestions would be
    useless without having a lot more info about the system in question.

    The fact remains that Everest and Aida list AGP as disabled, and the
    BIOS settings that OP listed confirm that fact.

    --

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >
    > > Locating and installing the proper chipset drivers is a good idea,
    if
    > > they aren't already installed.
    > >
    > > However, such an exercise will not enable those functions if they're
    > > disabled in BIOS, which appears to be the case.
    > >

    > 'those functions'
    >
    > -quote begin-
    > > > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I
    think.
    > > > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
    > > > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > > > AGP master write - disabled
    > > > AGP master read - disabled
    > > > AGP driving control - auto
    > > > AGP mode - 4X
    > > > AGP aperture size - 64
    > -quote end-
    >
    > I don't know what 'master write/read' is, but took 'driving control -
    > auto' to mean that AGP might be functional with approriate drivers
    > installed. And i did write "I think you should ...", as in no harm
    with
    > trying and easy to do.
    >
    > The poster didn't state computer/motherboard/MB chipset/, or whether
    the
    > graphics where integrated on the motherboard or not.
    >
    > In my main PC i have a Nvidia GeForce 3 based card in the AGP slot on
    > the motherboard. 2 items 'Fastwrite' and 'Sideband addressing' are
    > disabled in the graphics cards BIOS, and only accessible by using
    > tweaking sowtware. When people asked if/how to enable them over in
    > a.c.p.videocards.nvidia many an answer was to leave them disabled
    > because they could make your system unstable. Things may be different
    > for newer chips, but then it would probably have been 'mode - 8X'.
    >
    > --
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Thanks.
    Before I reset them, does my message from everest
    and aida indicate that my graphics card is not in use
    and an onboard feature is used instead?(onboard=mobo)
    or is it saying something else.

    Gordon Thiele

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > fastwrite masterwrite and masterread are what 'makes' agp try resetting
    them
    > to Auto

    http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/downloads/20410.htm?page=1
    > is a long article but useful
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use

    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > > AGP in Everest and Aida is showing as being disabled.
    > > The message reads; AGP is disabled. This may cause performance
    > > penalty.'
    > >
    > > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I think.
    > > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
    > > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > > AGP master write - disabled
    > > AGP master read - disabled
    > > AGP driving control - auto
    > > AGP mode - 4X
    > > AGP aperture size - 64
    > >
    > > Everest and Aida suggest that AGP in general is disabled,
    > > can anyone shed some light. (especially as to where to look to see
    > > if it is in fact enabled or otherwise)
    > >
    > > Gordon Thiele.

    It's saying just what it says, that the AGP functions that are built
    into the mobo are disabled. If you have onboard video and are using it,
    the AGP functions are disabled. If you have a video card plugged into an
    AGP slot, the AGP functions are disabled. If you have a PCI video card,
    then whether or not the AGP functions are enabled is irrelevant.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Thanks.
    > Before I reset them, does my message from everest
    > and aida indicate that my graphics card is not in use
    > and an onboard feature is used instead?(onboard=mobo)
    > or is it saying something else.
    >
    > Gordon Thiele
    >
    > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > fastwrite masterwrite and masterread are what 'makes' agp try
    resetting
    > them
    > > to Auto

    http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/downloads/20410.htm?page=1
    > > is a long article but useful
    > > --
    > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > > Catalog of removal tools (2)

    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
    before
    > use
    > >
    > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > > _
    > > "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > > > AGP in Everest and Aida is showing as being disabled.
    > > > The message reads; AGP is disabled. This may cause performance
    > > > penalty.'
    > > >
    > > > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I
    think.
    > > > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
    > > > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > > > AGP master write - disabled
    > > > AGP master read - disabled
    > > > AGP driving control - auto
    > > > AGP mode - 4X
    > > > AGP aperture size - 64
    > > >
    > > > Everest and Aida suggest that AGP in general is disabled,
    > > > can anyone shed some light. (especially as to where to look to see
    > > > if it is in fact enabled or otherwise)
    > > >
    > > > Gordon Thiele.

    You need first to determine what type of display adapter you have....on-board or
    AGP/PCI card. Look at the back of your computer. Follow the cable from the back of
    your monitor (screen) to the back of the computer tower. Does it connect toward the
    lower portion of the case in one of the slots/ or, does it connect closer to the
    top, where the USB, keyboard, mouse and other ports are grouped all together?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    > Before I reset them, does my message from everest
    > and aida indicate that my graphics card is not in use
    > and an onboard feature is used instead?(onboard=mobo)
    > or is it saying something else.
    >
    > Gordon Thiele
    >
    > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > fastwrite masterwrite and masterread are what 'makes' agp try resetting
    > them
    > > to Auto
    > >
    > http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/downloads/20410.htm?page=1
    > > is a long article but useful
    > > --
    > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    > use
    > >
    > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > > _
    > > "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > > > AGP in Everest and Aida is showing as being disabled.
    > > > The message reads; AGP is disabled. This may cause performance
    > > > penalty.'
    > > >
    > > > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I think.
    > > > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
    > > > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > > > AGP master write - disabled
    > > > AGP master read - disabled
    > > > AGP driving control - auto
    > > > AGP mode - 4X
    > > > AGP aperture size - 64
    > > >
    > > > Everest and Aida suggest that AGP in general is disabled,
    > > > can anyone shed some light. (especially as to where to look to see
    > > > if it is in fact enabled or otherwise)
    > > >
    > > > Gordon Thiele.

    So, you're indicating that disabling the bios setup features for AGP
    mentioned by the original poster, may in fact be as set in that fashion to
    allow full operability and stability of an add-on AGP card.
    And, the assets disabled were meant to either communicate same with the
    onboard video chipset, or similar AGP chipset.
    Makes sense to me, and the information you've provided is pertinent to the
    question posed at the end of the original post in my lowly and insignificant
    opinion.
    "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >
    > > Locating and installing the proper chipset drivers is a good idea, if
    > > they aren't already installed.
    > >
    > > However, such an exercise will not enable those functions if they're
    > > disabled in BIOS, which appears to be the case.
    > >

    > 'those functions'
    >
    > -quote begin-
    > > > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I think.
    > > > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
    > > > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > > > AGP master write - disabled
    > > > AGP master read - disabled
    > > > AGP driving control - auto
    > > > AGP mode - 4X
    > > > AGP aperture size - 64
    > -quote end-
    >
    > I don't know what 'master write/read' is, but took 'driving control -
    > auto' to mean that AGP might be functional with approriate drivers
    > installed. And i did write "I think you should ...", as in no harm with
    > trying and easy to do.
    >
    > The poster didn't state computer/motherboard/MB chipset/, or whether the
    > graphics where integrated on the motherboard or not.
    >
    > In my main PC i have a Nvidia GeForce 3 based card in the AGP slot on
    > the motherboard. 2 items 'Fastwrite' and 'Sideband addressing' are
    > disabled in the graphics cards BIOS, and only accessible by using
    > tweaking sowtware. When people asked if/how to enable them over in
    > a.c.p.videocards.nvidia many an answer was to leave them disabled
    > because they could make your system unstable. Things may be different
    > for newer chips, but then it would probably have been 'mode - 8X'.
    >
    > --
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > AGP in Everest and Aida is showing as being disabled.
    > The message reads; AGP is disabled. This may cause performance
    > penalty.'

    Well, I see in your last reply that you *finally* told us that you have a G-Force
    video card installed in a slot. Shall we assume it is an AGP card in the AGP slot,
    as oppossed to the rarer PCI card in a PCI slot?

    > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I think.
    > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;

    See here --
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_Index.htm
    and
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02c.htm
    and
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02d.htm
    and
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02f.htm
    and
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02g.htm

    > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > AGP master write - disabled
    > AGP master read - disabled
    > AGP driving control - auto
    > AGP mode - 4X
    > AGP aperture size - 64
    >
    > Everest and Aida suggest that AGP in general is disabled,
    > can anyone shed some light. (especially as to where to look to see
    > if it is in fact enabled or otherwise)
    >
    > Gordon Thiele.

    BTW, have you installed the chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer?
    --

    Lil' Dave wrote:

    > So, you're indicating that disabling the bios setup features for AGP
    > mentioned by the original poster, may in fact be as set in that fashion to
    > allow full operability and stability of an add-on AGP card.

    No, i was only speaking of the disabled Fastwrite setting (for GeForce 3
    generation-based chip-containing cards or motherboard). That is what i
    read posts (from posters usually posting good info) about after i bought
    such a card. I do not know what masterwrite/read or driving control are
    and what their settings is supposed to be default. AlmostBob posted a
    link for us to read upon this, if we want.

    > And, the assets disabled were meant to either communicate same with the
    > onboard video chipset, or similar AGP chipset.
    > Makes sense to me, and the information you've provided is pertinent to the
    > question posed at the end of the original post in my lowly and insignificant
    > opinion.

    As i didn't know what masterwrite/read or driving control are but know
    that AGP works for me with the fastwrire setting being disabled, i
    thought that 'driving control - auto' /might/ mean that there was a
    chance that AGP could work (as in 'showing up as enabled' in Advisor and
    AIDA32) with proper drivers installed.

    (I know that without the Hyperion driverbundle installed, nothing seems
    to be missing from my Device Manager. And i know that other people don't
    know you should install such drivers.)

    I hoped that Gordon would know if these drivers were installed (as now
    has been confirmed), and if so, would/could/should easily disregard my
    post without any harm done. Was only trying to help.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    "> > > Locating and installing the proper chipset drivers is a good idea, if
    > > > they aren't already installed.
    > > >
    > > > However, such an exercise will not enable those functions if they're
    > > > disabled in BIOS, which appears to be the case.

    I am afraid I believe you are correct.
    All chipsets and drivers are fine & installed. At this point I have
    no immediate problem, I believe I will read up some on AGP;
    the link given is an eye opener.
    The original question at this point still stands; why are both Everest
    and Aida indicating that AGP overall is disabled, my G-force is
    sitting right there in its slot as it has for many years.

    Gordon Thiele

    Buck up and Cheer up Little Dave -- I for one am glad you post here if that
    makes you feel a little better than my day is made and if not then oh well
    life goes on, I guess.

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

    > So, you're indicating that disabling the bios setup features for AGP
    > mentioned by the original poster, may in fact be as set in that fashion to
    > allow full operability and stability of an add-on AGP card.
    > And, the assets disabled were meant to either communicate same with the
    > onboard video chipset, or similar AGP chipset.
    > Makes sense to me, and the information you've provided is pertinent to the
    > question posed at the end of the original post in my lowly and insignificant
    > opinion.
    > "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > >
    > > > Locating and installing the proper chipset drivers is a good idea, if
    > > > they aren't already installed.
    > > >
    > > > However, such an exercise will not enable those functions if they're
    > > > disabled in BIOS, which appears to be the case.
    > > >

    > > 'those functions'
    > >
    > > -quote begin-
    > > -quote end-
    > >
    > > I don't know what 'master write/read' is, but took 'driving control -
    > > auto' to mean that AGP might be functional with approriate drivers
    > > installed. And i did write "I think you should ...", as in no harm with
    > > trying and easy to do.
    > >
    > > The poster didn't state computer/motherboard/MB chipset/, or whether the
    > > graphics where integrated on the motherboard or not.
    > >
    > > In my main PC i have a Nvidia GeForce 3 based card in the AGP slot on
    > > the motherboard. 2 items 'Fastwrite' and 'Sideband addressing' are
    > > disabled in the graphics cards BIOS, and only accessible by using
    > > tweaking sowtware. When people asked if/how to enable them over in
    > > a.c.p.videocards.nvidia many an answer was to leave them disabled
    > > because they could make your system unstable. Things may be different
    > > for newer chips, but then it would probably have been 'mode - 8X'.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Glen, do you think in your opinion that it is wise to get the latest chipset
    drivers from Intel? Also, how about flashing your BIOS. Thanks in advance.

    "glee" wrote:

    > BTW, have you installed the chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    > > "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > > > AGP in Everest and Aida is showing as being disabled.
    > > > The message reads; AGP is disabled. This may cause performance
    > > > penalty.'
    > >
    > > Well, I see in your last reply that you *finally* told us that you have a G-Force
    > > video card installed in a slot. Shall we assume it is an AGP card in the AGP
    > slot,
    > > as oppossed to the rarer PCI card in a PCI slot?
    > >

    > > > I have an Award Bios. I have been through every inch of it, I think.
    > > > The only related settings I see in bios are as follows;
    > >
    > > See here --
    > > http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_Index.htm
    > > and
    > > http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02c.htm
    > > and
    > > http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02d.htm
    > > and
    > > http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02f.htm
    > > and
    > > http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02g.htm
    > >
    > > > AGP fastwrite - disabled
    > > > AGP master write - disabled
    > > > AGP master read - disabled
    > > > AGP driving control - auto
    > > > AGP mode - 4X
    > > > AGP aperture size - 64
    > > >
    > > > Everest and Aida suggest that AGP in general is disabled,
    > > > can anyone shed some light. (especially as to where to look to see
    > > > if it is in fact enabled or otherwise)
    > > >
    > > > Gordon Thiele.

    In my lowly and insignificant opinion, they are referencing the bios
    settings primarily seems the logical conclusion.

    > "> > > Locating and installing the proper chipset drivers is a good idea,
    if

    > I am afraid I believe you are correct.
    > All chipsets and drivers are fine & installed. At this point I have
    > no immediate problem, I believe I will read up some on AGP;
    > the link given is an eye opener.
    > The original question at this point still stands; why are both Everest
    > and Aida indicating that AGP overall is disabled, my G-force is
    > sitting right there in its slot as it has for many years.
    >
    > Gordon Thiele

    Maybe you misread my reply, or I/yours.
    > Lil' Dave wrote:
    >
    > > So, you're indicating that disabling the bios setup features for AGP
    > > mentioned by the original poster, may in fact be as set in that fashion
    > > allow full operability and stability of an add-on AGP card.
    >
    > No, i was only speaking of the disabled Fastwrite setting (for GeForce 3
    > generation-based chip-containing cards or motherboard). That is what i
    > read posts (from posters usually posting good info) about after i bought
    > such a card. I do not know what masterwrite/read or driving control are
    > and what their settings is supposed to be default. AlmostBob posted a
    > link for us to read upon this, if we want.
    >
    > > And, the assets disabled were meant to either communicate same with the
    > > onboard video chipset, or similar AGP chipset.
    > > Makes sense to me, and the information you've provided is pertinent to
    the
    > > question posed at the end of the original post in my lowly and
    insignificant
    > > opinion.
    >
    > As i didn't know what masterwrite/read or driving control are but know
    > that AGP works for me with the fastwrire setting being disabled, i
    > thought that 'driving control - auto' /might/ mean that there was a
    > chance that AGP could work (as in 'showing up as enabled' in Advisor and
    > AIDA32) with proper drivers installed.
    >
    > (I know that without the Hyperion driverbundle installed, nothing seems
    > to be missing from my Device Manager. And i know that other people don't
    > know you should install such drivers.)
    >
    > I hoped that Gordon would know if these drivers were installed (as now
    > has been confirmed), and if so, would/could/should easily disregard my
    > post without any harm done. Was only trying to help.
    >
    > --
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Dan, like everyone else, I have problems in my life. But, I don't go
    telling the world, my friends and acquaintances or family about it, or hint
    at it. Just look for ways to improve my outlook on things.

    I've been reading and posting under different names since Uncle Buck was
    around and active in newgroups, and there was no such thing as spam or
    pop-ups.

    I use the term "lowly and insignificant" to shy off ill-meaning responses
    when its anticipated. It works sometimes. Even in newsgroups with the
    typical thugs. It has nothing to do with my emotional state.

    > Buck up and Cheer up Little Dave -- I for one am glad you post here if
    that
    > makes you feel a little better than my day is made and if not then oh well
    > life goes on, I guess.
    >
    > "Lil' Dave" wrote:
    >
    > > So, you're indicating that disabling the bios setup features for AGP
    > > mentioned by the original poster, may in fact be as set in that fashion
    > > allow full operability and stability of an add-on AGP card.
    > > And, the assets disabled were meant to either communicate same with the
    > > onboard video chipset, or similar AGP chipset.
    > > Makes sense to me, and the information you've provided is pertinent to
    the
    > > question posed at the end of the original post in my lowly and
    insignificant
    > > opinion.
    > > "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message

    > > > 'those functions'
    > > >
    > > > -quote begin-
    > > > -quote end-
    > > >
    > > > I don't know what 'master write/read' is, but took 'driving control -
    > > > auto' to mean that AGP might be functional with approriate drivers
    > > > installed. And i did write "I think you should ...", as in no harm
    with
    > > > trying and easy to do.
    > > >
    > > > The poster didn't state computer/motherboard/MB chipset/, or whether
    the
    > > > graphics where integrated on the motherboard or not.
    > > >
    > > > In my main PC i have a Nvidia GeForce 3 based card in the AGP slot on
    > > > the motherboard. 2 items 'Fastwrite' and 'Sideband addressing' are
    > > > disabled in the graphics cards BIOS, and only accessible by using
    > > > tweaking sowtware. When people asked if/how to enable them over in
    > > > a.c.p.videocards.nvidia many an answer was to leave them disabled
    > > > because they could make your system unstable. Things may be different
    > > > for newer chips, but then it would probably have been 'mode - 8X'.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > > > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    > BTW, have you installed the chipset drivers from the motherboard
    manufacturer?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+

    Yes, this was done on purchase of my computer a few years back, it
    was custom built to my specs.
    The card is an nvidia geforce2 mx/mx400.
    I am looking at a report from everest now and under 'chipset' then
    'agp controller' it simply states that the agp status is disabled.
    If this were the case, it would mean I havent been utilizing my card
    since day one.

    Gordon Thiele
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > > BTW, have you installed the chipset drivers from the motherboard
    > manufacturer?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >
    > Yes, this was done on purchase of my computer a few years back, it
    > was custom built to my specs.
    > The card is an nvidia geforce2 mx/mx400.
    > I am looking at a report from everest now and under 'chipset' then
    > 'agp controller' it simply states that the agp status is disabled.
    > If this were the case, it would mean I havent been utilizing my card
    > since day one.

    Kind of appears that way. Go here:
    http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/legacy.shtm
    and download PciList.exe
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/pcilist.exe
    to see the status of your AGP card and controller.

    Have a look here, particularly at the section on Enabling AGP, and the suggested
    BIOS settings:
    http://www.mysuperpc.com/vcu/enable_agp.shtml

    Also, have a look at the recommended settings here:
    http://www.tweak3d.net/faq/faq.html#hw:gef:biosset

    Do you have a BIOS setting for "Init Display First"?

    What chipset is on your motherboard?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm