Sign in with
Your question

x1900xt 3d problems - knight in shining armor needed

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2006 2:17:35 PM

Hey guys, Im having some problems with my new sapphire x1900xt and Im really hoping someone can descend from the clouds and save me..

Ok basically I built a new system (specs in a sec), and with it I got a sapphire x1900xt.

In 3d games, (FEAR, HL2..) there is choppyness every few seconds, briefly.. a brief sticky lagging sensation.. then its smooth again. play a little bit, then that same lag sensation.

Try as I might, I cant seem to fix this.

I have:

Reinstalled windows
Reinstalled Catalyst 6.4 drivers
Updated bios
Installed AMD 64 dual core drivers and windows hotfix for dual core chips
Tried Omega drivers 6.3 but didnt see an improvement either
Had a look at the PCI latency tool, but my card doesnt show up..

My rig:

CPU: AMD 64 x2 3800
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI
Ram: DDR4, 2 gig worth
HD: Sata , partitioned

I sent a message to ATI, however they suggest its a driver problem and to reinstall drivers.. (which I already told them in first email I had done. bah generic responses..)

Anyway. any and all advice appreciated. except "get nVidia".. im already feeling that way. Please help stop this Australian crying himself to sleep >_<

More about : x1900xt problems knight shining armor needed

April 25, 2006 2:58:36 PM

I have the exact same card... but I don't get any problems... I just observe god-like performance. However, instead of installing ATI's drivers, have you tried Omega drivers? If those drivers don't work, then perhaps may lie in a faulty card. I however, think it may be due to the partitioned HDD... since I don't know how such an awesome card could give you such problems.
April 25, 2006 3:24:10 PM

For some people, the CAT 6.4 drivers have worked without a hitch. Not for me. I would suggest, if you are at wits end, to reinstall windows, scrap the 6.4's and just install the 6.3's and see if that fixes it. I was utterly frustrated with my performance with the 6.4's but even after uninstalling and driver cleaning them, reinstalling the 6.3's, i didnt notice a difference. Until i reinstalled windows and JUST installed the 6.3's did my performance regain its superiorness. Worth a shot if you have no other options.
Related resources
April 25, 2006 3:30:52 PM

my catalyst control centre settings havnt been changed from installation - no tweaking. Im sorry I dont even see the v-sync option.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will go to bed now and let her defrag, will post an update tomorrow.
April 25, 2006 3:53:19 PM

Quote:
my catalyst control centre settings havnt been changed from installation - no tweaking. Im sorry I dont even see the v-sync option.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will go to bed now and let her defrag, will post an update tomorrow.

First thing you need to do is scrap the bloated catalyst control center and use ATI TRAY TOOLS.

I have the X1900XT with sandiego 4000+ and 3gig ddr400 memory and FEAR runs flawless for me at 1280X1024 with everything on including soft shadows and 2xaa and 16af.

Im using the 6.3 drivers with ati tray tools. 6.4 drivers will not let me play BF2 :evil: 
April 25, 2006 4:17:15 PM

try setting your game's affinity to a single proc and see what that does. some games go screwy when set to both cores (usual default).
April 25, 2006 5:26:41 PM

Somewhere I read that with the X2 processors you need to Disable the Cool'n'Quiet feature in the BIOS....this is what caused stuttering in other peoples rigs with similar configurations. Might be worth a shot.

-Branson
April 25, 2006 5:46:29 PM

My suggestion to you is to Uninstall the Catalyst Control Centre, is a piece of sh!t and often can interact with the performance of your card, I am 90% that its the Control Centre, thats what happened to my card the x1900xtx :D 
Its an easy problem to fix, unless it has something to do with your HD, but i really doubt it has anything to do with your card :twisted:
-Good Luck-
April 25, 2006 6:24:59 PM

Make sure that your PC is defragged, and that you have the latest edition of the nForce drivers. I'd recommend making sure you have the latest BIOS revision installed for your motherboard, too.

Also, when you install the nForce drivers, are you choosing 'yes' or 'no' to install nvidia's custom IDE drivers?

If this answer is 'yes', try starting again from scratch but choosing 'no' at the point of installation, and sticking with the windows ones. Some people have problems with the nvidia IDE drivers (including myself).

Also, what kind of PSU are you using? If the GFX card isn't getting enough juice, then perhaps this could cause your problem.

Oh, and don't disable your page file. It may seem like a good idea, even if you have 2gb of ram - it isn't, windows was designed to use one.
April 26, 2006 12:30:05 AM

I appreciate all the input guys, and to the best of my abilities I have followed every bit of advice.

-Defragged HD, no luck there
-Installed nVidia mobo drivers, no luck there
-removed catalyst 6.4, installed 6.3 .. no luck there
-installed omega drivers, no luck there

my power supply stats:

SICASE GOLD 500W POWER SUPPLY

Super Quiet with 12cm Cooling Fan
Dimesion (L x H x D): 156 x 85 x 150 mm
AC Input 115/230VAC 8A/4A 60/50 HZ
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
30A 35A 18A 0.5A 0.5A 3A

I think I have found something noteworthy: I can predict when FEAR will stick, its when a new room / encounter is aproached. for instance, once I am already in a particular room I can move around / swivel etc and there isnt a problem. turn a new corner, and there is that slight lag again.
April 26, 2006 2:15:37 PM

Quote:
for instance, once I am already in a particular room I can move around / swivel etc and there isnt a problem. turn a new corner, and there is that slight lag again.

Guy I can promise you that is the nature of that game, I have an X1900XT with a Sandiego 4000+ and 3gig ddr400 memory and I get those same hitches from time to time. Its normal in that game and as for HALF LIFE 2 you can thank steam for the hitches you get in that game! when HL2 first came out it ran perfect but as time went by and steam applied usless updates it made the game run worse. :evil: 
April 26, 2006 3:07:19 PM

Didn't play fear but HL2 worked fine for me.
April 26, 2006 3:49:23 PM

I get that hitch occasionally in fear as well. That game did that even w/ my old 9700pro and 1 gig ram. No other games though. cat 6.4 w/ ccc works fine for me. Defraggin could be an issue if you have the problem in other games to reiterate what stranger said. What defrag are you using? if it is the windows one I would say use a 3rd party one. If you already are then bollocks on that idea.

stranger: that page file fix... could work but you would need a ton of apps running to be hitting that page swap during fear, it does not use more that ~ a gig itself, and to have the other gig full just seems insane during any game. I guess stranger things have happened though... haha, get it? "stranger" things! lol...

...wow, I must be starved for humor today... :p 
April 26, 2006 4:54:02 PM

Quote:
My suggestion to you is to Uninstall the Catalyst Control Centre, is a piece of sh!t and often can interact with the performance of your card, I am 90% that its the Control Centre, thats what happened to my card the x1900xtx :D 
Its an easy problem to fix, unless it has something to do with your HD, but i really doubt it has anything to do with your card :twisted:
-Good Luck-

How do you adjust all the different settings if you don't have the CCC?
April 26, 2006 5:30:33 PM

agreed, I also like ccc... had no real issues w/ it and like the interface no matter how candy coated it is.

I think most ppl's issue w/ it is the requirement of .net... that most already have installed. They just dont like being told they have to rely on m$ (regardless of the fact that the very os they are installing it on is m$ as well) 8O

a few out there really do have instability that seems to be ccc related but most just dont like the extra requirement for a video card driver panel.
!