Sign in with
Your question

Adding speakers to a 2.1 system

Last response: in Components
April 25, 2006 2:45:17 PM

I have a set of klipsch GMX-A 2.1 connected to an intergrated Realtek ALC850.

Can I just add a set of 2.0 speakers to the system? I would assume I could but I wanted to check before buying a new set of speakers.

Also could anyone reccomend some small speakers for a front channel and maybe a center channel too?

More about : adding speakers system

April 25, 2006 3:10:43 PM

The amplifier of the speakers are usually built into the subwoofer. Seeing as there is a different sub for each model in a range (the 2.1, the 5.1, the 7.1, whatever) each with different outputs, you can't just plug extra speakers into the sub.

However, your idea for adding another 2.1/2.0 system would work. The downside would be that you wouldn't have nearly as much bass (due to lack of a sub) for the rear speakers.

Sound cards expect you to buy speakers in packages, and you won't get nearly as good a sound unless you use one.
April 27, 2006 8:08:34 AM

Or you could just buy another set of 2.1 speakers and plug them into the side/rear out and have a 4 channel setup with 2 subs...

Is the same thing with the 4.2 klipsch system..
Related resources
April 27, 2006 9:14:12 AM

You still won't be able to fully utilise the dedicated subwoofer output of surround encoded content, though.
April 27, 2006 5:41:28 PM

You think it will matter? Those speakers have lowpass set realy high. ~120hz - 200hz on most pc speakers. Since the sats rely on the subwoofer for some of the midrange, it will be hard to tell if that channel is coming through or not?

Aster, before you drop another $120 on those speakers, consider selling the ones you have and buy some 5.1's to get your desired effect.
April 28, 2006 10:31:03 PM

5.1 is 6 channels with one being deicated subwoofer channel.

4.1, 3.1, 2.1 is just 4, 3 or 2 channels with the low frequencies (and in some cases lower midrange) being sent to a subwoofer.

So the sound cards going to mix the SW channel along with the center into the front channles.

That being said I added a pair of moderate quality 2.0 speakers to my 2.1 old but high quality Altec Lansing system with good results.

Anyway most 5.1 content is mastered with the assumption that you will have two full range speakers upfront, but have no subwoofer on the surround speakers.

Not as good as outputting to an good reciever connected to good home theater speakers (which is what I now use), but definately better than having no surround channels at all.
April 28, 2006 10:38:52 PM

Quote:
Anyway most 5.1 content is mastered with the assumption that you will have two full range speakers upfront, but have no subwoofer on the surround speakers.

Almost all of the DVDs I've bought recently are encoded for a 6 speaker setup, due most probably to the advent of both computer surround/sub setups and 'home theatre' kits being sold.

I really don't know why more people don't invest in 'proper' 5.1 setups with full range fronts, but there ya go. Some of the original Dolby Pro Logic surround setups had some kickass fronts.
!