How do I recover from ' ipcfgdll.dll' cannot start

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 17, 2005 3:37:07 AM

How do I recover from 'ipcfgdll.dll' cannot start, please check file to
determine the problem.

It is a friends pc, whose boy though he might move some files, I seem to
have it all back as it was, excext this problem?

I have already used sfc to replace the file 'ipcfgdll.dll' even though it
wasn't missing... it was successful at copying the file over from my master
cd, but.... the pc still boots up & states the same problem, it will not
access the net eventhough it will dial-up...

It is on Win98se with oe & ie v6...
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:37:08 AM

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ipcfg...

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

My usual response when networking is to uninstall all networking
components and then reinstall them. In this case, the most likely
solution is to go to Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, look in
Communications section for Dial-Up Networking, uncheck it (assuming it's
checked) OK your way out, restart the machine, then go back and
reinstall it. If this doesn't solve all your friend's problems, then
post back for more into-the-guts suggestions.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Charles Lee" <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> How do I recover from 'ipcfgdll.dll' cannot start, please check file
> determine the problem.
>
> It is a friends pc, whose boy though he might move some files, I seem
> have it all back as it was, excext this problem?
>
> I have already used sfc to replace the file 'ipcfgdll.dll' even though
it
> wasn't missing... it was successful at copying the file over from my
master
> cd, but.... the pc still boots up & states the same problem, it will
not
> access the net eventhough it will dial-up...
>
> It is on Win98se with oe & ie v6...

April 17, 2005 10:39:59 AM

Hi Gary...

I must admit, I never tried that, so I gave it a go (with fingers
crossed)....

unchecked it, rebooted, noticed the error still came up near the end of
booting (regardless...)

anyway, I rechecked/installed it back again... then rebooted...

but... alas, no joy, still the same error comes up, no change noticed at
all...

Just my luck...

> My usual response when networking is to uninstall all networking
> components and then reinstall them. In this case, the most likely
> solution is to go to Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, look in
> Communications section for Dial-Up Networking, uncheck it (assuming it's
> checked) OK your way out, restart the machine, then go back and
> reinstall it. If this doesn't solve all your friend's problems, then
> post back for more into-the-guts suggestions.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Charles Lee" <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> How do I recover from 'ipcfgdll.dll' cannot start, please check file
>> determine the problem.
>>
>> It is a friends pc, whose boy though he might move some files, I seem
>> have it all back as it was, excext this problem?
>>
>> I have already used sfc to replace the file 'ipcfgdll.dll' even though
> it
>> wasn't missing... it was successful at copying the file over from my
> master
>> cd, but.... the pc still boots up & states the same problem, it will
> not
>> access the net eventhough it will dial-up...
>>
>> It is on Win98se with oe & ie v6...

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 8:43:46 PM

Hi, Dave...

Thanks for the reply...

I copied the file 'ipcfgdll.dll' from the master disk but the problem
remains...

I don't know what else I can do... :-(

news:o RRhVHvQFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Charles Lee" <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> | How do I recover from 'ipcfgdll.dll' cannot start, please check file to
> | determine the problem.
> |
> | It is a friends pc, whose boy though he might move some files, I seem to
> | have it all back as it was, excext this problem?
> |
> | I have already used sfc to replace the file 'ipcfgdll.dll' even though
> it
> | wasn't missing... it was successful at copying the file over from my
> master
> | cd, but.... the pc still boots up & states the same problem, it will not
> | access the net eventhough it will dial-up...
> |
> | It is on Win98se with oe & ie v6...
>
> http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ipcfg...
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:00:15 AM

Well Gary, I guess I am as ready as I will ever be for the more
into-the-guts suggestions ;-)

> My usual response when networking is to uninstall all networking
> components and then reinstall them. In this case, the most likely
> solution is to go to Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, look in
> Communications section for Dial-Up Networking, uncheck it (assuming it's
> checked) OK your way out, restart the machine, then go back and
> reinstall it. If this doesn't solve all your friend's problems, then
> post back for more into-the-guts suggestions.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Charles Lee" <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> How do I recover from 'ipcfgdll.dll' cannot start, please check file
>> determine the problem.
>>
>> It is a friends pc, whose boy though he might move some files, I seem
>> have it all back as it was, excext this problem?
>>
>> I have already used sfc to replace the file 'ipcfgdll.dll' even though
> it
>> wasn't missing... it was successful at copying the file over from my
> master
>> cd, but.... the pc still boots up & states the same problem, it will
> not
>> access the net eventhough it will dial-up...
>>
>> It is on Win98se with oe & ie v6...

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:00:16 AM

Hmmm... I was going to list one set of procedures, but it suddenly
occurs to me that you ought to do this, first: Go here, download and
install DUN 1.4 (You can download it on your system, put it on a floppy
or CD to transfer to friend's system.)

If that doesn't work, then do the following:

Go to Network applet in Control Panel and remove everything there.
Restart system.

Adapter: Microsoft> Dial-up Networking.
Client: Microsoft>Microsoft Family Logon
Protocol: TCP-IP

Make "Microsoft Family Logon" the primary logon. Restart the system (I
think you're prompted to do so.) For the heck of it, I'd run the DUN 1.4
upgrade again. Lastly, I'd set up a new DUN connectoid to test with. The
main thing to remember to change from default settings in a Win98 DUN
connectoid is in Properties, Servers tab, UNcheck "Log on to Network".
That is an outdated item that shouldn't be used for modern dial-up
accounts.

It's not always easy to nail down problems in network setups, which is
why I usually favor the scorched-earth, rebuild from scratch method.
Usually works, too. Good luck!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o nv9Ks8QFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Well Gary, I guess I am as ready as I will ever be for the more
> into-the-guts suggestions ;-)

> > My usual response when networking is to uninstall all networking
> > components and then reinstall them. In this case, the most likely
> > solution is to go to Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, look in
> > Communications section for Dial-Up Networking, uncheck it (assuming
it's
> > checked) OK your way out, restart the machine, then go back and
> > reinstall it. If this doesn't solve all your friend's problems, then
> > post back for more into-the-guts suggestions.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Charles Lee" <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> How do I recover from 'ipcfgdll.dll' cannot start, please check
file
> >> determine the problem.
> >>
> >> It is a friends pc, whose boy though he might move some files, I
seem
> >> have it all back as it was, excext this problem?
> >>
> >> I have already used sfc to replace the file 'ipcfgdll.dll' even
though
> > it
> >> wasn't missing... it was successful at copying the file over from
my
> > master
> >> cd, but.... the pc still boots up & states the same problem, it
will
> > not
> >> access the net eventhough it will dial-up...
> >>
> >> It is on Win98se with oe & ie v6...

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:12:55 PM

Well, Gary, I went for it... I brought my friends pc to mind to make it
easier for me...

the first part (installing DUN 1.4) didn't cure the problem so I followed
your instructions through...

I went to the Network applet in Control Panel and remove everything there.

Rebooted... nearly pulled my hair out when I saw the error message popup
again...

Rebooted again, didn't see popup, so I continued with the rest of your
proceedure...

all does seem well round mine, next task is take it back & test it in his...

I will write back & let you know how it went...

got my fingers crossed atm :-D

I do feel confident, now that that annoying message has gone :-D

news:o pWQGn9QFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hmmm... I was going to list one set of procedures, but it suddenly
> occurs to me that you ought to do this, first: Go here, download and
> install DUN 1.4 (You can download it on your system, put it on a floppy
> or CD to transfer to friend's system.)
>
> If that doesn't work, then do the following:
>
> Go to Network applet in Control Panel and remove everything there.
> Restart system.

> Adapter: Microsoft> Dial-up Networking.
> Client: Microsoft>Microsoft Family Logon
> Protocol: TCP-IP
>
> Make "Microsoft Family Logon" the primary logon. Restart the system (I
> think you're prompted to do so.) For the heck of it, I'd run the DUN 1.4
> upgrade again. Lastly, I'd set up a new DUN connectoid to test with. The
> main thing to remember to change from default settings in a Win98 DUN
> connectoid is in Properties, Servers tab, UNcheck "Log on to Network".
> That is an outdated item that shouldn't be used for modern dial-up
> accounts.
>
> It's not always easy to nail down problems in network setups, which is
> why I usually favor the scorched-earth, rebuild from scratch method.
> Usually works, too. Good luck!
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o nv9Ks8QFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Well Gary, I guess I am as ready as I will ever be for the more
>> into-the-guts suggestions ;-)
>>

>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > My usual response when networking is to uninstall all networking
>> > components and then reinstall them. In this case, the most likely
>> > solution is to go to Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, look in
>> > Communications section for Dial-Up Networking, uncheck it (assuming
> it's
>> > checked) OK your way out, restart the machine, then go back and
>> > reinstall it. If this doesn't solve all your friend's problems, then
>> > post back for more into-the-guts suggestions.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Gary S. Terhune
>> > MS MVP Shell/User
>> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>> >
>> > "Charles Lee" <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> file

> seem

> though
>> > it
> my
>> > master
> will
>> > not

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:05:07 AM

news:o pWQGn9QFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> snip
> Go to Network applet in Control Panel and remove everything there.
> Restart system.

> Adapter: Microsoft> Dial-up Networking.
> Client: Microsoft>Microsoft Family Logon
> Protocol: TCP-IP
>
> Make "Microsoft Family Logon" the primary logon. Restart the system (I
> think you're prompted to do so.) For the heck of it, I'd run the DUN 1.4
> upgrade again. Lastly, I'd set up a new DUN connectoid to test with. The
> main thing to remember to change from default settings in a Win98 DUN
> connectoid is in Properties, Servers tab, UNcheck "Log on to Network".
> That is an outdated item that shouldn't be used for modern dial-up
> accounts.

Usually on dial-up accounts for a home user, on that same Properties> Servers tab,
also UNcheck 'NetBEUI' and 'IPX/SPX Compatible' under "Allowed Network Protocols"
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm