XP(HE) & SP2 - catch 22?

SP2 loaded and installed (nearly 2 hours just to install ?!!) and so far
only 1 problem detected.

Every boot, same 5 messages appear from Spybot, asking to allow/deny the
following registry changes.

Delete - NWIZ.exe/install
Delete - NVCPL Daemon
Delete - SSC_USER PROMPT
Delete - Global Browser toolbar (hex 00)

and
Value change - from C:\Windows\System32\Blank.htm to
C:\Windows\System32\Blank.htm (exact same value!!)

On initial SP2 installation, got a whole raft of Spybot messages, and
allowed all registry changes.

What puzzles me - after allowing the above changes (every time) it MUST be
that the registry gets changed back on every run session (else Spybot would
not keep asking to allow further changes, would it?) So, what's the problem?

Repetition could perhaps be avoided (by ticking the "remember decision" in
Spybot) but that only hides the problem. doesn't solve it. First 3 items are
Symantec (NU 2004), the 4th and 5th MAY be related to the Google toolbar
which has become attached to my standard IE toolbar - (don't know how, it
just appeared - is it an update or the result of my daughter's activities?)
I have "automatic updates" set to d/l and install, but, oddly, this setting
did NOT pick up SP2, had to d/l and install it manually.
My "home page" is indeed "Blank.htm".
It's a home PC, no network, single user.

Another possible solution is to uninstall/reinstall Norton, but surely SP2
should have been designed to handle NU without such action being necessary?
And, what guarantee is there that re-installation would work any better,
anyway?

Appreciate any input as to a solution ...
2 answers Last reply
More about catch

    "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote:

    >SP2 loaded and installed (nearly 2 hours just to install ?!!) and so far
    >only 1 problem detected.
    >
    >Every boot, same 5 messages appear from Spybot, asking to allow/deny the
    >following registry changes.
    >
    >Delete - NWIZ.exe/install
    >Delete - NVCPL Daemon
    >Delete - SSC_USER PROMPT
    >Delete - Global Browser toolbar (hex 00)
    >
    >and
    >Value change - from C:\Windows\System32\Blank.htm to
    >C:\Windows\System32\Blank.htm (exact same value!!)
    >
    >On initial SP2 installation, got a whole raft of Spybot messages, and
    >allowed all registry changes.
    >
    >What puzzles me - after allowing the above changes (every time) it MUST be
    >that the registry gets changed back on every run session (else Spybot would
    >not keep asking to allow further changes, would it?) So, what's the problem?
    >
    >Repetition could perhaps be avoided (by ticking the "remember decision" in
    >Spybot) but that only hides the problem. doesn't solve it. First 3 items are
    >Symantec (NU 2004), the 4th and 5th MAY be related to the Google toolbar
    >which has become attached to my standard IE toolbar - (don't know how, it
    >just appeared - is it an update or the result of my daughter's activities?)
    >I have "automatic updates" set to d/l and install, but, oddly, this setting
    >did NOT pick up SP2, had to d/l and install it manually.
    >My "home page" is indeed "Blank.htm".
    >It's a home PC, no network, single user.
    >
    >Another possible solution is to uninstall/reinstall Norton, but surely SP2
    >should have been designed to handle NU without such action being necessary?
    >And, what guarantee is there that re-installation would work any better,
    >anyway?
    >
    >Appreciate any input as to a solution ...

    Another possible explanation for your situation would be that every
    time you use the computer it gets reinfected with the spyware, either
    from some web site that you go to or from some rogue application that
    you have installed.

    Have you also tried using AdAware SE (free) from
    http://www.lavasoft.de? It can sometimes catch spyware items that
    Spybot misses (and vice-versa).

    See MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix page at
    http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm for a step by step procedure for
    cleaning up your system.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron, many thanks. Reason for delayed response is the time it took to read
    (and action) the links ...
    I maintain my PC by all recommended means - up to date AV (auto-updated),
    Spybot, Ad-Aware, and frequent (background) defrags - nevertheless, after
    doing al this, the "boot-up" problem remains - and I'm confident that NO
    mal-ware/spyware or other nasties are on my PC.
    Guess it's one of those "glitches" I'll have to live with - to date it's not
    proved to be more than a petty annoyance, I've found no functionality errors
    (though I did read in another post that XP should start up faster with
    long-term use - written by a comedian? Full start-up is around 4 minutes !!
    One process I could get rid of - I have Pop-Up Stopper loading - is this
    superfluous with SP2 installed ?

Windows XP