Sign in with
Your question

Intel Prices went DOWN- Oh happy days!!!

Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2006 3:47:56 PM

Oh god dammmit! you can buy a pentium d 950 3.4 GHZ for a buck fifty, ummm, I meant $335. Enjoy and again say 65nm is bad.

Secret Reseller

( I don't like zzf buy the way because once they charged me a restocking fee on a defective device, anyway )

April 25, 2006 3:54:04 PM

That's awesome and was expected. I was just checking newegg and they dropped their prices too. The thing is, if you compare the prices of the 920 and 930, there is only like a 10 dollar difference between the two.

Nice to see the prices drop though. You can pick up an 805 now for 129 bucks.
April 25, 2006 4:00:24 PM

Man these prices don't give AMD any space to battle EVEN if they deliver better performance. Amazing! I guess the leap thing for intel is comming true!

Related resources
April 25, 2006 4:49:59 PM

Just as we expected, Pentium D 960 is on the way too...
April 25, 2006 5:20:32 PM

Yes and they have the 805 D for 129 ! thats a great deal :)  hmmmm soo tempting... But I think if I wait a little more those will be in the 79.99 range some day lol
April 25, 2006 5:33:28 PM

Ya when Conroe comes out :lol: 
April 25, 2006 5:34:20 PM

I think AMD beats Intel in most areas. HOWEVER, one thing that Intel is done a million times better than AMD is dual-core pricing and options. AMD simply does not have a low-cost dual core chip.
April 25, 2006 5:36:31 PM

That is good news. And I hope this price drop is indicative of something else. I remember reading a poster saying that the Conroe is coming out in July, but I was a bit unsure if that was true, I thought it would be introduced in September. But a price drop seems to indicate that they are trying to clear stores of Pentiums and Preslers to make room for the Conroe. Hopefully thats the case. Either way this is good because I expect AMD to follow up with their own price slashing.
April 25, 2006 5:52:24 PM

Quote:
Ya when Conroe comes out :lol: 

LOL probably true ! but I think even at that time since it will use the same socket that it will be an awesome starter chip for a system ! OC till it bleeds becouse you plan on replaceing it in like 8 months anyway :)  lol

Edit:hahah at 80$ its almost throw away cheap :) 
April 25, 2006 5:54:16 PM

Quote:
Oh god dammmit! you can buy a pentium d 950 3.4 GHZ for a buck fifty, ummm, I meant $335. Enjoy and again say 65nm is bad.

Secret Reseller

( I don't like zzf buy the way because once they charged me a restocking fee on a defective device, anyway )

Good for consumers, bad for Intel.. They now have to almost give their chip in order to "sell" them .. It shows just how much bad netburst is and they want to make room for newer one by clearing their old one..

I guess that, if all those Conroe tests werent available, then customers would just have got current CPU from them and be happy. But now, the wait for Conroe with big expectation, hurting Intel current sales..

Maybe the tried to hurt AMD sales in the same way too, but I guess that it is not working. AMD did something wise by not revealing too much about their socket AM2 performance.. Without any expectation from the next socket, current CPU line is still selling strong and that's what matter at the end.

Good thing that Intel is a solid company, because moves like that arent that smart, but they could afford to loos some money in order to turn some customers from current AMD cpu to Conroe cpu.
April 25, 2006 6:04:34 PM

OMG!! The prices are going down. I noticed the the 950 at $350 same price as my 840 but with 2x2Mb L2 cache, 3.4Ghz and 65nm difference. I wished I could swap my cpu! :cry: 
April 25, 2006 6:20:36 PM

I agree with you on the 805D only.... the X2 3800 still outperforms the 920-940 in about 85-90% of the cases. Uses less power run cooler. As for the single core chips, the 3500 is $200, uses alot less power than the P4 counterpart and performs as well and better in cases, while costing over $100 less. Doesn't seem like any kind of crunch to me. The Pentium D is a great deal, if that is all you can afford. But also keep in mind the difference in price in the motherboards. Intel motherboard generally cost more. Now all this will probably change with Conroe, but the P4 prices are still to high in comparison to performance, heat output, and power usage. Just not worth it.
April 25, 2006 6:46:03 PM

Quote:
the X2 3800 still outperforms the 920-940

Can I hold the BS flag here?! 3800 x2 does not outperform 940 in 85-90% of the cases. where did you get that. On top of it 940 overclocks like your dreams. Intel boards cost more because you get the DDR2 support. The same would be for AM2 when it comes out.

Being an AMD boy will cost you more these days beleive it or not.

April 25, 2006 6:55:43 PM

wow, I can see which side of the fence you are standing on.... don't give me this AMD fanboy BS.... give it a rest.... I am a fanboy of no company..... so chill out clown.... as for the X2 3800.... I just looked it up, and your right, it is the 930 and down that it solidly outperforms.... So for an extra $30 you can have cooler, less power hungry cpu that performs about the same...... I know which way I would go..... not only for that reason either, the difference in the price of motherboards would be at least $30..... so the price difference is nulled. Don't call me a fanyboy, and try not to be one your self you hipocrit...... :idea:
April 25, 2006 7:00:26 PM

Quote:
you hipocrit

I am a democrat 8)

dude when you come up with the wrong info trying to beat Intel down it looked like fanboism to me.

April 25, 2006 7:02:04 PM

Quote:

Who in the world would buy that sh!t??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Believe me, even if that sucker costed $10 I wouldn't buy it at all.

Quote:
Man these prices don't give AMD any space to battle EVEN if they deliver better performance. Amazing! I guess the leap thing for intel is comming true!

...And even this ain't helping intel.
Read this
April 25, 2006 7:04:51 PM

My only rquest.... don't call me a fanboy, you can disagree with me all day long.... and if I am wrong I will admit it.... I should have said 805-930.... not 940... it performs about the same as a 940 does.... that is my mistake.... I just HATE that term, and people throw it around so much that it gets annoying. That is all, nothing more. I don't have a problem with Intel, unless they are truly being anti-competitive.... in which case it is not only bad for other companies... it is bad for US...... you and me. Other than that, I have just never liked Prescotts. They have been poor performers, power hogs, and extremely hot in comparison to K8. Conroe will change that, and I can't wait. I have built nothing but K8 systems for the past couple a years, but when I build a new system, it will likely be Conroe based. If Conroe is still the leader in Price/performance and power/heat generation at the time... Thanks for you second reply though.... makes me feel better.
April 25, 2006 7:10:22 PM

Quote:
I have built nothing but K8 systems for the past couple a years, but when I build a new system, it will likely be Conroe based

If it ain't broke, why change it?? :roll:
April 25, 2006 7:12:10 PM

you saying stay with AMD? or are you saying that in a I built AMD systems cause I never experienced anything else.... it could go either way... that is why I am asking...
April 25, 2006 7:16:14 PM

Quote:

Who in the world would buy that sh!t??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Believe me, even if that sucker costed $10 I wouldn't buy it at all.
I think businesses and large OEMs would be most interested in these prices. I'm sure this chip is more than sufficient for office use.

Anyways, maybe another group would be overclockers that want a cheap chip to experiment with without too much worry if they fry it. I've heard the 805 overclocks quite well.

But most hardcore folks wouldn't be purchasing this chip anyways, you are right.
April 25, 2006 7:23:37 PM

yeah, it is sufficient for Office use, but large companies still buy inexpensive single core for office use.... at least ones that I know of. And since overclockers are such a small segment of the market, I don't think they really count for anything. OEM, I can see that though, selling a Dual Core system to consumers, they don't know any better, it's dual core, they would buy it if it were the same price as single core setups. That would probably be the largest market.
April 25, 2006 9:16:35 PM

Quote:
My only rquest.... don't call me a fanboy, you can disagree with me all day long.... and if I am wrong I will admit it.... I should have said 805-930.... not 940... it performs about the same as a 940 does.... that is my mistake.... I just HATE that term, and people throw it around so much that it gets annoying. That is all, nothing more. I don't have a problem with Intel, unless they are truly being anti-competitive.... in which case it is not only bad for other companies... it is bad for US...... you and me. Other than that, I have just never liked Prescotts. They have been poor performers, power hogs, and extremely hot in comparison to K8. Conroe will change that, and I can't wait. I have built nothing but K8 systems for the past couple a years, but when I build a new system, it will likely be Conroe based. If Conroe is still the leader in Price/performance and power/heat generation at the time... Thanks for you second reply though.... makes me feel better.

the 9xx series is not Prescott (it's Presler).... nor are they hot, nor are they power hogs... they are 65nm, have lower TDP than Prescotts, and run cool, and overclock like crazy. Personally, I have yet to find a hot Prescott. It is simply a matter of installing the HSF correctly. I can get into the details, but I don't think it's worthwhile. Prescott isn't very special, besides being fairly good for overclocking. K8 is better than Prescott.
April 25, 2006 10:06:22 PM

130W TDP is not a power hog? The 940 and 950 run at that TDP.... I think that is a power hog IMHO.... maybe the lower two aren't as high.... the 920 and 930 are much better, but they are low performers..... so Either you get the lower power lower performers, or you get the only ones that can hang with the X2 Series, which have a TDP of 130W..... not to mention the 940 is only $30 dollars less, and the 950 is over $330..... and they also have a memory bottleneck, from what I have seen. But maybe not.... maybe I am all wrong.... just my persepective.
April 25, 2006 10:07:47 PM

I have seen my fair share of hot prescotts, especially two on one chip.
April 25, 2006 11:41:30 PM

Oh, missed one thing. I know the NAME of the core is Presler, but it is not much more than a 65NM prescott. Does that make more sense for you. And yes you can split hairs and name off all the little differences, but I am talking about the big picture. I know it is better than a 90nm prescott and better than 2 90nm prescotts(8XX Series).... but it is still not that great of a cpu.
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 115 å Intel
April 26, 2006 1:15:07 AM

Quote:
the X2 3800 still outperforms the 920-940

Can I hold the BS flag here?! 3800 x2 does not outperform 940 in 85-90% of the cases. where did you get that. On top of it 940 overclocks like your dreams. Intel boards cost more because you get the DDR2 support. The same would be for AM2 when it comes out.

Actually the poster is somewhat correct with his statement. The article below pits the X2 3800+ against the Pentium D 920 & 930. The X2 3800+ does perform very well against the 920 & 930. Based on the benchmark spread between those three CPU it is possible the X2 3800+ can pretty much hold it's own agains the 940 in some of the benchmarks.

X2 3800+ vs. Pentium D 920 & 930

Overclocking? Don't know, there's no benchmarks for an OC'ed 3800+ in the article.
April 26, 2006 3:35:01 AM

Quote:
Oh, missed one thing. I know the NAME of the core is Presler, but it is not much more than a 65NM prescott. Does that make more sense for you. And yes you can split hairs and name off all the little differences, but I am talking about the big picture. I know it is better than a 90nm prescott and better than 2 90nm prescotts(8XX Series).... but it is still not that great of a cpu.

overclock it like crazy... and it runs fairly cool, and is pretty fast. Someone put a Presler to 6.6Ghz with some peltier and a few volt mods, I think. With the way AMD has things priced right now,... I'd buy a Presler over an X2 any day. AMD used to have the best price/performance ratio. My reason? The overclockability.... if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be interested. Just a personal preference. Right now I'm waiting for Conroe. I can hardly wait to see the released version. :) 

as for the Prescott heat debacle, it is simply a matter of having a good HSF, and seating it correctly. Mine is running at 30C as I type this.
April 26, 2006 3:56:07 AM

I have two words on that:
if somebody actually buys a 3800+ x2 system with all that AMD legacy system over a 940, let them do so.
Am I at those 2 words yet?

April 26, 2006 3:59:15 AM

have you Overclocked it like crazy with that stock HSF? And I am sure you already know, they don't all run that cool. And I am pretty sure the average OC for a 9XX series is more along the line of 4.3-4.5 Ghz.... not 6.6ghz.... I know "some guy" did that, but it isn't all that common, and really not all that feasable. I am basically talking about using air cooling, and using the mobo out of the box, without having to hardware mod it.... as you shouldn't have to. But as you said, it is personal preference.
April 26, 2006 4:00:38 AM

Double Post..... see below....
April 26, 2006 4:01:56 AM

Quote:
I have two words on that:
if somebody actually buys a 3800+ x2 system with all that AMD legacy system over a 940, let them do so.
Am I at those 2 words yet?

What do you mean AMD legacy system over a 940? Are you speaking of Socket 940 or AM2?
April 26, 2006 4:13:06 AM

We are talking about pentium D 940 vs. 3800+ x2 legacy

i.e. abandoned socket, no DDR2 support, higher price and lower performance. (in this case)

April 26, 2006 4:21:56 AM

you are trying to say that the Pentium D performs better.... if you look at the benchmarks.... it is about 50/50..... and it is only a $30 dollar price difference for almost 50% of the power consumption. Also, keep in mind the difference in mobo prices will probably be more than $30. Also, how is 939 abandoned? How many socket changes has intel gone through? Why does it need DDR II? There is no memory bottleneck for K8 cpus..... unlike 9XX's and 8XX's..... so I really do not understand your arguement.... it doesn't make sense....
April 26, 2006 4:29:54 AM

Quote:
We are talking about pentium D 940 vs. 3800+ x2 legacy

i.e. abandoned socket, no DDR2 support, higher price and lower performance. (in this case)

I doubt over the performance issue.

Even only with DDR1, A64 x2 3800+ is on par with P-D 940.
April 26, 2006 4:43:06 AM

Quote:
you are trying to say that the Pentium D performs better

I said:
Quote:
(in this case)

I knew some would say what you just said that's why I said (in this case), what I didn't know was some don't read

About that 50/50 I hold my flag. That's wrong. Look at tom's chart for instance.

Quote:
how is 939 abandoned?

There won't be any new CPU on S939. That doesn't have any to do with Intel.

Quote:
Why does it need DDR II?

I think AM2 is the answer to your question unless you don't agree with AMD engineers.

April 26, 2006 4:51:59 AM

Yeah, nothing impressive about a company that is dumping heat-bricks on sale. :lol: 
April 26, 2006 4:54:16 AM

Quote:
About that 50/50 I hold my flag. That's wrong. Look at tom's chart for instance
I can't see any 50/50 tie.... how do you see that?

Quote:
There won't be any new CPU on S939. That doesn't have any to do with Intel.
The two sentences are not related.

Quote:
I think AM2 is the answer to your question unless you don't agree with AMD engineers.

I think 915 DDR-1 and DDR-2 performance is your solution.
April 26, 2006 4:59:50 AM

That's what I call a SMARTASS. :D 

Mind_Rebuilding said
Quote:
I can't see any 50/50 tie

That's in the message I repleid to. Need any help using the forum dear?!

April 26, 2006 5:10:13 AM

Quote:
130W TDP is not a power hog? The 940 and 950 run at that TDP.... I think that is a power hog IMHO.... maybe the lower two aren't as high.... the 920 and 930 are much better, but they are low performers..... so Either you get the lower power lower performers, or you get the only ones that can hang with the X2 Series, which have a TDP of 130W

You need to wait for the new C1 stepping Preslers and Cedar Mills. Both the 940D and the 950D will drop down to the 930D's 95W TDP. The 920D will be discontinued which is why the 930D is being to overlap it in prices.

Presler:
http://developer.intel.com/design/pcn/Processors/D01060...

Cedar Mill:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060421031743...

Intel is telling retailers to have the C1 steppings available starting April 24th, so you just have to wait for retailers to clear old inventories. The 3.73GHz 965EE already gives power consumption numbers that are in line with the FX60, so it isn't hard to imagine that the mainstream Presler's will run neck and neck with the X2s in terms of power consumption. Power consumption is no longer a weak point for 65nm Netburst processors.

As well, the price changes for Presler were just implemented so it'll take a little bit longer to filter through. Once it's stabilized, it's very likely that the price of the 950D should be closer to the X2 3800+ and performance/W and price/performance ratios should favour the 950D even with gaming taken into account.

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060213PR218.html
April 26, 2006 7:29:26 AM

Smucks never learn do they? When a new chip about to come out Intel or amd try to get rid of the old chips so there more room to work with. It like the end of the year blow out on 2006 cars What do all the companys do? They have a blow out sale. So they get rid of the older 2005 cars to make way for the newer versons.

Basicly that what Intel doing There making way for New chips. And also Making way for Amd chips.

Now if you have a company that selling chips like mad like Amd has in the past year they are not going to worrie about it untel they release the Am2 chip.

Now another thing is. School/collage fokes are about to graduating and looking for jobs. Some will buy cars some will buy a new computer and others Keep on learning.
April 26, 2006 11:49:37 AM

Yeah, about AM2.... there is a huge increase in performance.... your right.... it should kill Conroe.... oh wait.... the is not increase.... hmmm... I guess there is no memory bottleneck.... and I did look at toms charts.... it is roughly a 50/50 tie..... the 940 may take a little more than 50%, but it is such a narrow margin.... you can't really differentiate between the two.... and the reason I said the thing about the socket, you used the word abandoned..... why? It is a socket change..... do YOU disagree with AMD's engineers? Are they wrong? How is it abandoned? SO all those times.... Intel abandoned sockets? DDRII will help when AMD's processors need that extra bandwidth..... at this point in time, they are not starved. GOT IT?
April 26, 2006 12:43:46 PM

They should be free.
They should give them away at Home Depot for space heaters. :roll:
April 26, 2006 12:53:59 PM

Quote:

Secret Reseller

Good for consumers, bad for Intel.. They now have to almost give their chip in order to "sell" them .. It shows just how much bad netburst is and they want to make room for newer one by clearing their old one..

I guess that, if all those Conroe tests werent available, then customers would just have got current CPU from them and be happy. But now, the wait for Conroe with big expectation, hurting Intel current sales..

Maybe the tried to hurt AMD sales in the same way too, but I guess that it is not working. AMD did something wise by not revealing too much about their socket AM2 performance.. Without any expectation from the next socket, current CPU line is still selling strong and that's what matter at the end.

Good thing that Intel is a solid company, because moves like that arent that smart, but they could afford to loos some money in order to turn some customers from current AMD cpu to Conroe cpu.
You want to know why AMD is hiding AM2 features? Oh yeah, that's because there are none. Hey, it has DDR2! You can pay a premium for 5% more performance.
April 26, 2006 1:00:04 PM

Quote:
have you Overclocked it like crazy with that stock HSF? And I am sure you already know, they don't all run that cool. And I am pretty sure the average OC for a 9XX series is more along the line of 4.3-4.5 Ghz.... not 6.6ghz.... I know "some guy" did that, but it isn't all that common, and really not all that feasable. I am basically talking about using air cooling, and using the mobo out of the box, without having to hardware mod it.... as you shouldn't have to. But as you said, it is personal preference.

Haha, overclocks with the stock cooler? I guarantee that even a single core K8 will run hot on the sad piece of crap that is the old AMD block-o-aluminum. That being said, I've seen overclocks of 5.0+ghz of people who know what they're doing and do no volt modding.
April 26, 2006 3:17:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, about AM2.... there is a huge increase in performance.... your right.... it should kill Conroe.... oh wait.... the is not increase.... hmmm... I guess there is no memory bottleneck.... and I did look at toms charts.... it is roughly a 50/50 tie..... the 940 may take a little more than 50%, but it is such a narrow margin.... you can't really differentiate between the two.... and the reason I said the thing about the socket, you used the word abandoned..... why? It is a socket change..... do YOU disagree with AMD's engineers? Are they wrong? How is it abandoned? SO all those times.... Intel abandoned sockets? DDRII will help when AMD's processors need that extra bandwidth..... at this point in time, they are not starved. GOT IT?

You admit 940 is faster and you better know it is not 50/50 is like 90/10, it is cheaper and that's no secret that DDR2 performs better, but you still pick 3800+, uummmmm
I don't say it straight like wusy did, I just watch you die because of other wrong decisions you make !

April 26, 2006 3:19:16 PM

First of all Wusy.... in case you didn't get the sarcasim..... I was joking.... AM2 at release will show NO(or very minimal) performance increase from the move to DDRII..... did you read the whole post.... in the furture when AMD cpus become more bandwidth hungry, then maybe DDR would not be sufficient. And wusy, grow up, don't call people names, and pay attention. As far as the 9XX series, sure everyone has seen larger than average overclcks, that is not what I am talking about.... I am talking about the average stable overclock. I don't care if some "guys" got it to 5ghz, from everything I have read.... that is above average..... not the average..... get me? Am I not making this clear enough? And at stock the damn thing is still about 50/50 with a X2 3800..... and still has a TDP of about 130W...... why is everyone protecting Pentium D's? Why won't anyone call them what they are? Sure Conroe will be great.... Pentium D's are not..... they are an OK cpu... they are not GREAT.... yeah, you can OC them.... but since about 95% or more of the prospective buyers won't do that..... how many of them will actually buy them when you have a lower power equal performer for $30 more? Does that make any more sense? You guys need to stop blindly protecting Intel's Pentium D's just because Intel makes them. And by no means am I saying "AMD is the best" or "Intel SUCKS!" I am just saying, Pentium D's are not that great in comparison to the competition.
April 26, 2006 3:32:57 PM

Quote:

939 is abandoned as FX60 was the last 939 chip. Also, Intel doesn't "abandon" sockets much-they abandon chipsets, since the memory controller is located on the motherboard-so you can usually keep your stuff when upgrading.
April 26, 2006 4:01:49 PM

Wins Loses Tie
Pentium D 15 13 1
X2 3800 13 15 1

Pentium D 940 X2 3800
XviD 4:14W 4:21L
Wolenstein 162L 164.9W
WinRar 1:45W 1:56L
Unreal 122L 136.9W
Sandra Integer 36517L 38378W
Sandra FP 43144W 41474L
Sandra Mem. 4866L 5253W
Sandra Mem Float 4863L 5198W
Sandra Whetstone 8001L 8302W
Sandra Dhrystone 17117L 17129W
Quake III 235W 219L
Price/Performance 35.90L 24.87W
Pinnacle 1:19W 1:33L
PC Mark Memroy 3492W 2941L
PC Mark CPU 5378W 4046L
Ogg 1.10 4:01L 3:59W
Multitasking II 5:56W 6:54L
Multitasking I 1:54W 1:59L
Media Encoder 1:51W 1:53L
Main Concept 2:14W 2:15L
Lame MP3 4:24T 4:24T
Farcry 151.0L 169.1W
Doom III 1280 81.00W 80.80L
Doom III 1024 96.00L 97.50W
DivX 6 5:13W 5:33L
Clone DVD 12:10L 11:23W
3D Mark 05 Graphics 5152W 4942L
3D Mark 05 CPU 6152W 5909L
3D Studio Max 1:32L 1:31W

If you want the link I can post that as well.... but I figured since you guys have referred to it, you already knew where it was, but just did not know how to comprehend it. So I thought I would make it easy on you..... Old Times, maybe you should head back to the class room and learn ratios again, cause this is much closer to 50/50 than 90/10. As for DDRII, yes, INTEL needed it, Pentium D's were starved for bandwidth..... it was a good move..... X2 3800's DON'T NEED DDRII.... there is not a MEMORY BOTTLENECK..... comprende? I hope this was easy enough to read..... and if you guys want to take another crack at the charts, I can post the link..... however if you want me to decipher them.... just ask.
April 26, 2006 4:11:40 PM

Actually the 940 won almost all real-world apps even quite a few gaming ones.
!