exe files decode how to

How do I Decode .exe files ? Can I buy codecs over the counter ? I only
seem to decode .wmv files.
Have been trying to decode .mpeg, avi, and others except .wmv files
since I purchased my home PC in Sept'98.
I only want to decode. Confused in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. I
can read and write as this e-mail demonstrates but from there on it's
hopeless. Age 58 years. Malcolm --- . jam486@bigpond.net.au
Linked from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/codecadvancedsettings.aspx
Linked from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?prd=Windows&spb=MediaPlayer&pver=6.4.7.1124&os=Win&over=4.10.1998&olcid=0x409&clcid=0x409&id=80040265

with message "
Windows Media Player Error Message Help

You've encountered error message 80040265 while using Windows Media Player.
You might be able to find a solution for this error by using one of the
following support resources:
Ask other Windows Media Player users for assistance by posting your question
to the Windows Media Player Newsgroup. In your message, be sure to include
the following information: "
Thanks: MalcolmHow do I Decode .exe files ? Can I buy codecs over the
counter ? I only
seem to decode .wmv files.
Have been trying to decode .mpeg, avi, and others except .wmv files
since I purchased my home PC in Sept'98.
I only want to decode. Confused in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
IHow do I Decode .exe files ? Can I buy codecs over the counter ? I only
[...]

8 answers Last reply
More about files decode

    You don't decode EXE files - they are programs, executable files, and cannot
    be played by Media Player or any other multimedia software.

    * In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
    * http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    "tag22" <jam486@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> [...]
    > hopeless. Age 58 years. Malcolm --- . jam486@bigpond.net.au
    > Linked from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/codecadvancedsettings.aspx
    > Linked from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?prd=Windows&spb=MediaPlayer&pver=6.4.7.1124&os=Win&over=4.10.1998&olcid=0x409&clcid=0x409&id=80040265
    >
    > with message "
    > Windows Media Player Error Message Help
    >

    > You've encountered error message 80040265 while using Windows Media
    > Player.
    > You might be able to find a solution for this error by using one of the
    > following support resources:
    > Ask other Windows Media Player users for assistance by posting your
    > question
    > to the Windows Media Player Newsgroup. In your message, be sure to include

    exe files are primarily composed of sequences of data that's directly
    related to machine code, e.g. the basic "engine" that controls everything
    the computer does. Note this is not limited to just exe files, most dll, sys
    and a host of other files are similar. Generally as a group they're called
    "executable" because the contain the instructions for the cpu to "execute".

    codecs are a small peice of of the above specifically designed to either
    compress or decompress a specific type of data arranged in a file in a
    specific manner. In general almost always it's audio and/or video data. AVI
    files in particular can be trouble because the same file extension is used
    by any number of different codec's. If one doesn't play then the user must
    first determine what codec is required then find and install same. As a
    sidenote, I've never had WMP find what it says it needs.

    Also note there's no hard and fast rule that dictates a specific file
    extension infers specific data inside the file. Although Windows trys to
    associate specific file extensions to specific applications it's based more
    upon what the user is using for software and has done already done using
    same, as well as historical usuage, e.g. doc files are MSWORD files simply
    because that's what MSWord has used for so long there's nothing to stop
    someone else using the same file extension for another program instead
    although it'd be semi-stupid of the author to do so.

    For example, you can use the old INT21 DOS interface inside Windows9x to
    load and execute almost any file and the system will attempt to do so. The
    filename's extension is not used for anything under this scenario (e.g.
    could be called a.abc, a.exe, a.bat, a.doc or whatever) but the file itself
    better be organized in the expected exe format or all hell will break loose,
    e.g. bigtime crash.

> [...]
    > hopeless. Age 58 years. Malcolm --- . jam486@bigpond.net.au
    > Linked from

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/codecadvancedsettings.aspx
    > Linked from

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?prd=Windows&spb=MediaPlayer&pver=6.4.7.1124&os=Win&over=4.10.1998&olcid=0x409&clcid=0x409&id=80040265

    > with message "
    > Windows Media Player Error Message Help
    >

    > You've encountered error message 80040265 while using Windows Media
    Player.
    > You might be able to find a solution for this error by using one of the
    > following support resources:
    > Ask other Windows Media Player users for assistance by posting your
    question
    > to the Windows Media Player Newsgroup. In your message, be sure to include

    What's new with your work and computers in general, PJP. <aside just me
    being nosy and curious>

    <Curiousity did Kill the Cat but Satisfaction brought it back -- still
    wondering about darkrats paranoia to Windows Update and wondering if darkrats
    is on the side of Law and Order or on the Dark Side since the signature is
    dark(rats) which implies to me darkness and deeds need to come to the light
    to be exposed so I wonder what darkrats first name is as well as PCRs first
    name as well as PJP's first name>

    "pjp" wrote:

> [...]
    > > hopeless. Age 58 years. Malcolm --- . jam486@bigpond.net.au
    > > Linked from
    > >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/codecadvancedsettings.aspx
    > > Linked from
    > >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?prd=Windows&spb=MediaPlayer&pver=6.4.7.1124&os=Win&over=4.10.1998&olcid=0x409&clcid=0x409&id=80040265
    > >
    > > with message "
    > > Windows Media Player Error Message Help
    > >

    > > You've encountered error message 80040265 while using Windows Media
    > Player.
    > > You might be able to find a solution for this error by using one of the
    > > following support resources:
    > > Ask other Windows Media Player users for assistance by posting your
    > question
    > > to the Windows Media Player Newsgroup. In your message, be sure to include

    pjp is simply my initials, used since early 80's when BBS's were the thing
    as Compuserve was very expensive were I live. Haven't "worked" in the
    industry since giving 5 years of 60 hr weeks (and being paid for 40)
    developing software that encompassed both embedded code, handheld software
    and pc software for a company selling it's products around the world ; e.g.
    I designed and built "everything" for the physical product (that's 10 years
    ago now). Was "promised" opportunities would come along to instead be
    shafted with the "it's not working out" bs. Never been able to look at
    another employer since without seeing a greddy parasitic predator across the
    table. One of only two (perhaps three, try mot to think about it) people in
    my 54 years I'd let bleed to death at the end of my driveway before I'd let
    anyone call 911 for him.

    Since, I've stayed at home (thankfully everythings paid for ... no debts)
    and play with whatever I can get my hands on. Biggest problem is I'm so
    rural that internet stuff just isn't that enjoyable. More satisfaction just
    mucking with things "in-house" as I have 7 pc's networked right now.

> [...]
    > > > Linked from

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/codecadvancedsettings.aspx
    > > > Linked from

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?prd=Windows&spb=MediaPlayer&pver=6.4.7.1124&os=Win&over=4.10.1998&olcid=0x409&clcid=0x409&id=80040265

    > > > with message "
    > > > Windows Media Player Error Message Help
    > > >

    > > > You've encountered error message 80040265 while using Windows Media
    > > Player.
    > > > You might be able to find a solution for this error by using one of
    the
    > > > following support resources:
    > > > Ask other Windows Media Player users for assistance by posting your
    > > question
    > > > to the Windows Media Player Newsgroup. In your message, be sure to

    Wow, 7 networked PC's must keep you busy.

    "pjp" wrote:

> [...]
    > more
    > > > upon what the user is using for software and has done already done using
    > > > same, as well as historical usuage, e.g. doc files are MSWORD files
    > simply
    > > > because that's what MSWord has used for so long there's nothing to stop
    > > > someone else using the same file extension for another program instead
    > > > although it'd be semi-stupid of the author to do so.
    > > >
    > > > For example, you can use the old INT21 DOS interface inside Windows9x to
    > > > load and execute almost any file and the system will attempt to do so.
    > The
    > > > filename's extension is not used for anything under this scenario (e.g.
    > > > could be called a.abc, a.exe, a.bat, a.doc or whatever) but the file
    > itself
    > > > better be organized in the expected exe format or all hell will break

    Hardly, mix of 98SE and XP and all works as well as one can expect given the
    product(s) :)

> [...]
    > > rural that internet stuff just isn't that enjoyable. More satisfaction
    just
    > > mucking with things "in-house" as I have 7 pc's networked right now.
    > >
    > > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > What's new with your work and computers in general, PJP. <aside just
    me
    > > > being nosy and curious>
    > > >
    > > > <Curiousity did Kill the Cat but Satisfaction brought it back -- still
    > > > wondering about darkrats paranoia to Windows Update and wondering if
    > > darkrats
    > > > is on the side of Law and Order or on the Dark Side since the
    signature is
    > > > dark(rats) which implies to me darkness and deeds need to come to the
    > > light
    > > > to be exposed so I wonder what darkrats first name is as well as PCRs

  7. i want to change in my programme .exe file
  8. dear i want change my phone number in my foxpro made programe exe file what can i do.

Decoder Error Message Media Player Windows