Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2 hard drives using Windows 98 & 98se. Possible?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 7:51:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Hi.

I have a pc with win 98 (first edition). I was wanting to upgrade to 98se,
but as we know the upgarde disks are rare (and expensive when found!). I
need to keep my hard drive that has 98 1st on because I have some software on
there that I can't reinstall (as I can't find the CD or product key) and the
software is expensive so don't want to buy it again.

So I wondered if I could use another HDD with 98se on it as the primary HDD,
and then link my win 98 1st edition HDD as the secondary drive. If I did
that, could I boot from the 98se drive and run the software I want from the
98 1st edition drive? I assume I would just have to assign a drive letter to
the 98 1st edition HDD in the BIOS?

Haven't tried before, and haven't worked with 2 HDD's so am not sure if this
is possible or not.

Your advise will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 10:34:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

You cannot run software installed on one drive using the system installed on
another drive. What you could do is install a second drive, install SE on
it and use it as your primary system. Then when you needed to run the
software on your W98 drive, use a boot manager that will boot from a second
hard drive and boot your W98 drive. Once done, you could then change back
to your SE drive. Here is the boot manager I use:

BootIt Next Generation is available from: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
and it does partitioning, makes a compressed image, does many other
partitioning chores and is a boot manager. It is not quite as easy to use
as Partition Magic but it is half the cost and has more features. Unlike
the crippled PMagic demo, BING is a *full function* demo you can try for
FREE for 30 days. The web site has a lot of support articles.

You also could upgrade your existing system using an OEM disk but there is a
slight amount of risk doing so. Information on reinstalling or upgrading
with an OEM CD: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html
--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo

"jazz.drummer" <jazzdrummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BFE10F99-3288-4DEA-A706-D3E3269C956E@microsoft.com...
> Hi.
>
> I have a pc with win 98 (first edition). I was wanting to upgrade to
> 98se,
> but as we know the upgarde disks are rare (and expensive when found!). I
> need to keep my hard drive that has 98 1st on because I have some software
> on
> there that I can't reinstall (as I can't find the CD or product key) and
> the
> software is expensive so don't want to buy it again.
>
> So I wondered if I could use another HDD with 98se on it as the primary
> HDD,
> and then link my win 98 1st edition HDD as the secondary drive. If I did
> that, could I boot from the 98se drive and run the software I want from
> the
> 98 1st edition drive? I assume I would just have to assign a drive letter
> to
> the 98 1st edition HDD in the BIOS?
>
> Haven't tried before, and haven't worked with 2 HDD's so am not sure if
> this
> is possible or not.
>
> Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 11:37:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Follow Ron's advice. As an addendum, clone a copy of your current hard disk
and update that to 98SE. This will allow use of the programs you're
speaking of in that environment. When satisfied, you may even choose to do
away with your current 98 operating system partition and use that for other
purposes.
"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
news:%23AikeF0QFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You cannot run software installed on one drive using the system installed
on
> another drive. What you could do is install a second drive, install SE on
> it and use it as your primary system. Then when you needed to run the
> software on your W98 drive, use a boot manager that will boot from a
second
> hard drive and boot your W98 drive. Once done, you could then change back
> to your SE drive. Here is the boot manager I use:
>
> BootIt Next Generation is available from:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
> and it does partitioning, makes a compressed image, does many other
> partitioning chores and is a boot manager. It is not quite as easy to use
> as Partition Magic but it is half the cost and has more features. Unlike
> the crippled PMagic demo, BING is a *full function* demo you can try for
> FREE for 30 days. The web site has a lot of support articles.
>
> You also could upgrade your existing system using an OEM disk but there is
a
> slight amount of risk doing so. Information on reinstalling or upgrading
> with an OEM CD: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html
> --
> Regards
>
> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>
> "jazz.drummer" <jazzdrummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BFE10F99-3288-4DEA-A706-D3E3269C956E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have a pc with win 98 (first edition). I was wanting to upgrade to
> > 98se,
> > but as we know the upgarde disks are rare (and expensive when found!).
I
> > need to keep my hard drive that has 98 1st on because I have some
software
> > on
> > there that I can't reinstall (as I can't find the CD or product key) and
> > the
> > software is expensive so don't want to buy it again.
> >
> > So I wondered if I could use another HDD with 98se on it as the primary
> > HDD,
> > and then link my win 98 1st edition HDD as the secondary drive. If I
did
> > that, could I boot from the 98se drive and run the software I want from
> > the
> > 98 1st edition drive? I assume I would just have to assign a drive
letter
> > to
> > the 98 1st edition HDD in the BIOS?
> >
> > Haven't tried before, and haven't worked with 2 HDD's so am not sure if
> > this
> > is possible or not.
> >
> > Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Many thanks
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:57:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Stick a note in a local shop window and ask to borrow an update to 98SE
disk. I have lent mine out many times. Bob (bet loads of people who have
upgraded to XP will also still have the disk)

"jazz.drummer" <jazzdrummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BFE10F99-3288-4DEA-A706-D3E3269C956E@microsoft.com...
> Hi.
>
> I have a pc with win 98 (first edition). I was wanting to upgrade to
98se,
> but as we know the upgarde disks are rare (and expensive when found!). I
> need to keep my hard drive that has 98 1st on because I have some software
on
> there that I can't reinstall (as I can't find the CD or product key) and
the
> software is expensive so don't want to buy it again.
>
> So I wondered if I could use another HDD with 98se on it as the primary
HDD,
> and then link my win 98 1st edition HDD as the secondary drive. If I did
> that, could I boot from the 98se drive and run the software I want from
the
> 98 1st edition drive? I assume I would just have to assign a drive letter
to
> the 98 1st edition HDD in the BIOS?
>
> Haven't tried before, and haven't worked with 2 HDD's so am not sure if
this
> is possible or not.
>
> Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:00:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Good idea on Dave's thought of cloning because that way if something goes
wrong, you will still have the original working system. The software I
mentioned will also clone a partition for you.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
news:%23gDk7p0QFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Follow Ron's advice. As an addendum, clone a copy of your current hard
> disk
> and update that to 98SE. This will allow use of the programs you're
> speaking of in that environment. When satisfied, you may even choose to
> do
> away with your current 98 operating system partition and use that for
> other
> purposes.
> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
> news:%23AikeF0QFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> You cannot run software installed on one drive using the system installed
> on
>> another drive. What you could do is install a second drive, install SE
>> on
>> it and use it as your primary system. Then when you needed to run the
>> software on your W98 drive, use a boot manager that will boot from a
> second
>> hard drive and boot your W98 drive. Once done, you could then change
>> back
>> to your SE drive. Here is the boot manager I use:
>>
>> BootIt Next Generation is available from:
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
>> and it does partitioning, makes a compressed image, does many other
>> partitioning chores and is a boot manager. It is not quite as easy to
>> use
>> as Partition Magic but it is half the cost and has more features. Unlike
>> the crippled PMagic demo, BING is a *full function* demo you can try for
>> FREE for 30 days. The web site has a lot of support articles.
>>
>> You also could upgrade your existing system using an OEM disk but there
>> is
> a
>> slight amount of risk doing so. Information on reinstalling or upgrading
>> with an OEM CD: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> Knowledge Base Info:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>
>> "jazz.drummer" <jazzdrummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:BFE10F99-3288-4DEA-A706-D3E3269C956E@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > I have a pc with win 98 (first edition). I was wanting to upgrade to
>> > 98se,
>> > but as we know the upgarde disks are rare (and expensive when found!).
> I
>> > need to keep my hard drive that has 98 1st on because I have some
> software
>> > on
>> > there that I can't reinstall (as I can't find the CD or product key)
>> > and
>> > the
>> > software is expensive so don't want to buy it again.
>> >
>> > So I wondered if I could use another HDD with 98se on it as the primary
>> > HDD,
>> > and then link my win 98 1st edition HDD as the secondary drive. If I
> did
>> > that, could I boot from the 98se drive and run the software I want from
>> > the
>> > 98 1st edition drive? I assume I would just have to assign a drive
> letter
>> > to
>> > the 98 1st edition HDD in the BIOS?
>> >
>> > Haven't tried before, and haven't worked with 2 HDD's so am not sure if
>> > this
>> > is possible or not.
>> >
>> > Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Many thanks
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:22:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:j3t8e.9177$WP4.318@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> Stick a note in a local shop window and ask to borrow an update to 98SE
> disk. I have lent mine out many times. Bob (bet loads of people who have
> upgraded to XP will also still have the disk)

100% illegal.


--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 8:41:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

The problem is that he has a drive with 98se on it, but he doesn't have the
upgrade CD.

So cloning and upgrading (which is by far the best way to go) isn't actually
an option. Ron's first thought is the way to go, but maintaining the system
once it's up and running is going to be an issue.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
news:%23jIMz%233QFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Good idea on Dave's thought of cloning because that way if something goes
> wrong, you will still have the original working system. The software I
> mentioned will also clone a partition for you.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>
> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> news:%23gDk7p0QFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Follow Ron's advice. As an addendum, clone a copy of your current hard
>> disk
>> and update that to 98SE. This will allow use of the programs you're
>> speaking of in that environment. When satisfied, you may even choose to
>> do
>> away with your current 98 operating system partition and use that for
>> other
>> purposes.
>> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23AikeF0QFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> You cannot run software installed on one drive using the system
>>> installed
>> on
>>> another drive. What you could do is install a second drive, install SE
>>> on
>>> it and use it as your primary system. Then when you needed to run the
>>> software on your W98 drive, use a boot manager that will boot from a
>> second
>>> hard drive and boot your W98 drive. Once done, you could then change
>>> back
>>> to your SE drive. Here is the boot manager I use:
>>>
>>> BootIt Next Generation is available from:
>> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
>>> and it does partitioning, makes a compressed image, does many other
>>> partitioning chores and is a boot manager. It is not quite as easy to
>>> use
>>> as Partition Magic but it is half the cost and has more features.
>>> Unlike
>>> the crippled PMagic demo, BING is a *full function* demo you can try for
>>> FREE for 30 days. The web site has a lot of support articles.
>>>
>>> You also could upgrade your existing system using an OEM disk but there
>>> is
>> a
>>> slight amount of risk doing so. Information on reinstalling or
>>> upgrading
>>> with an OEM CD: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
>>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>>> Knowledge Base Info:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>>
>>> "jazz.drummer" <jazzdrummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:BFE10F99-3288-4DEA-A706-D3E3269C956E@microsoft.com...
>>> > Hi.
>>> >
>>> > I have a pc with win 98 (first edition). I was wanting to upgrade to
>>> > 98se,
>>> > but as we know the upgarde disks are rare (and expensive when found!).
>> I
>>> > need to keep my hard drive that has 98 1st on because I have some
>> software
>>> > on
>>> > there that I can't reinstall (as I can't find the CD or product key)
>>> > and
>>> > the
>>> > software is expensive so don't want to buy it again.
>>> >
>>> > So I wondered if I could use another HDD with 98se on it as the
>>> > primary
>>> > HDD,
>>> > and then link my win 98 1st edition HDD as the secondary drive. If I
>> did
>>> > that, could I boot from the 98se drive and run the software I want
>>> > from
>>> > the
>>> > 98 1st edition drive? I assume I would just have to assign a drive
>> letter
>>> > to
>>> > the 98 1st edition HDD in the BIOS?
>>> >
>>> > Haven't tried before, and haven't worked with 2 HDD's so am not sure
>>> > if
>>> > this
>>> > is possible or not.
>>> >
>>> > Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
>>> >
>>> > Many thanks
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:59:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

> 100% illegal.

and your point is..............
>
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:26:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

C'mon Jane, you're a smart woman. Would you post such info with a traceable
route?

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm




"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:%23nxsAxORFHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
>> 100% illegal.
>
> and your point is..............
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>>
>
>
!