Tree in left pane of explorer is gone

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 18, 2005 3:39:29 AM

I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
Can anyone help me get it back?
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:39:30 AM

"All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
>I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
> Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:39:30 AM

"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in

> I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the
> tree view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just
> empty and gray. Can anyone help me get it back?

Cut and paste this into notepad and save it as "fixpane.reg"
Double click it or right click it and select "merge" to add it to your
registry. If I'm not mistaken, I got this reg file out of this group a
long time ago. Have run into the same problem several times on various
people's computers and it's worked every time!

--------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]
@="Explorer Band"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SHDOCVW.DLL"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
\Implemented Categories]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
\Implemented Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

--------------------------
--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
April 18, 2005 4:16:01 AM

I went to regedit and there is no ExplorerBar listed at the
InternetExplorer\Main location.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> "All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
> >I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the
tree
> > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
gray.
> > Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:20:23 AM

Brian,

Would the IE Repair tool do it?
Start > Run enter MSinfo32, under the Tools tab.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:46:19 -0500, "Brian A."
<gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:

>"All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
>
>--
>
>Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

>"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
>>I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
>> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
>> Can anyone help me get it back?
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:47:32 AM

"All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
(I don't have that Registry key, either-- no one ever does!)

If that article doesn't work, then here is what I have for that.

(1) "START, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, IE Repair Tool"
It produces a rather large "Fix IE Log.txt" in C:\Windows. IE & E
are basically one & the same. If this crashes, an over-install of IE is
indicated.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177
Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool

(2) Over-install IE. Try first without, but I believe it will request an
internet connection. Perhaps it is best to let it connect, actually. If
you don't care to get this fancy, just skip to step (c).

(a) Turn off interfering programs. Use http://www.pcmag.com/ 's
"StartupCop" or "EndItAll2". Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".
Note what is unchecked, if anything. Then, go to the General tab &
disable the entire Startup Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking
"Load Startup...". Reboot.

(b) Perhaps, if you haven't got EndItAll2, then "Ctrl-Alt-Del" & end
task all but Explorer & Systray. If this goes badly, start again from
top, & skip it next time.

(c) "START, Find, F/F, IE6Setup.exe". Click it in the Find window.
NOTE: If you are IE5, then it's "IE5Setup.exe". If there are more
than one (I have two each), click the one in "C:\WINDOWS\Windows
Update Setup Files" or "C:\Windows Update Setup Files", as applicable.

(d) Re-enable the Startup Group. That will automatically check all
items. Go to the Startup tab & uncheck any noted in step (a). Reboot.

(e) Perhaps go to Windows Update, to see whether it now offers
criticals.

(3) The Shawn fix.
.........Start.........
I recently installed several updates from the Windows Update site, and
I started having three problem. My Windows Explorer All Folders pane
was completely grey, the descriptions of my systray items appeared
behind the taskbar where I couldn't read them, and Windows stopped
remembering all of my inidividual folder settings. The first two have
been fixed (for the third, see my next post).

Since it took me some time to find a fix for the Folders Pane problem
I figured I'd post what I did, and what eventually fixed it since it
wasnt any of the usual fixes.

I checked the two potentially relevent Microsoft KBs (192315 &
194177). I verified the version of browseui.dll matched my version of
IE. I did not have the ExplorerBar (or ExploreBar?) registry key.
And I tried repairing IE with no luck. Repairing IE did fix the
systray problem though.

Then I found a post that referenced this page:
http://forums.techguy.org/t59067/sceaa511ff5a90d402ce4b...

Close to the bottom, there's a txt file to download and rename to
*.reg to apply to the registry. I checked all the relevant keys
before applying it, and the only one that the file was going to change
was the default key in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\InProcSer
ver32
Mine was set to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL, and it changed it to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL and immediately fixed the problem. If
you're going to try that fix, I definitely recommend backing up your
registry first, or at least checking to see what changes will be made
in your registry, so you can change them back. There's a link on that
page to another discussion that has a Win NT/2000/XP registry fix for
the same problem.

I had seen others say that reinstalling IE had fixed the problem, but
I never got that far. I hope this helps some other people out there
as I spent way too much time on this problem.

Later,
Shawn
.........End....of quote......

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
| I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the
tree
| view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
gray.
| Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:32:49 AM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:47:32 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
wrote:

>"All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
>(I don't have that Registry key, either-- no one ever does!)

I do, the size value for mine is:
"ExplorerBar"=hex:07,01,00,00,6c,18,f7,bf

Win 98SE, IE 5.5

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:22:44 PM

Hmmm. In...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
...., I have many values, but none is "ExplorerBar". Also, no one ever
has said they had it when complaining of this problem, that I can
recall.

Although...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
.......Quote...............
The ExplorerBar value contains positioning information for the All
Folders pane in Windows Explorer. The value is created only if the
window was resized. When you remove the value, the window returns to the
default position.
.......EOQ.................

...., I can't, in IE6 SP1 (I know you are IE5.5), seem to get an
"ExplorerBar" anywhere in the Registry. I have stretched the "All
Folders" window in both Explorer & in IE6, the new size is remembered,
but still I have no such Registry key.

--
"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
| On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:47:32 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
| wrote:
|
| >"All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
| >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
| >(I don't have that Registry key, either-- no one ever does!)
|
| I do, the size value for mine is:
| "ExplorerBar"=hex:07,01,00,00,6c,18,f7,bf
|
| Win 98SE, IE 5.5
|
| Regards,
|
| Bill Watt
| Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:01:32 PM

I have tried all of the suggestions and it is still blank. When I try to
run IE6Setup.exe, it says that the program has done an illeagle operation
and exits. I have done the regestry updates given also. I even reinstalled
Windows 98 SE. The left pane in explorer is still gray and blank. What
should I do next? Would it help to downgrade to IE5?

"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
> I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
gray.
> Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:18:29 PM

Dave,

If you haven't already, try extracting Explorer.exe from the Windows
CD, it may be corrupt.

It goes in the Windows folder. To extract try Start > Run and enter
SFC. Extract just that one file. Don't use the SFC scan, it needs
constant updating to be useful, or it could void any updates you
have made.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:01:32 -0400, "Dave Flinker"
<davef@yourgrant.com> wrote:

>I have tried all of the suggestions and it is still blank. When I try to
>run IE6Setup.exe, it says that the program has done an illeagle operation
>and exits. I have done the regestry updates given also. I even reinstalled
>Windows 98 SE. The left pane in explorer is still gray and blank. What
>should I do next? Would it help to downgrade to IE5?
>

>"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
>> I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
>> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
>gray.
>> Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:21:28 PM

Have you tried the Registry file that Menno suggested? It is available to download
in a .zip file, at the very end of the thread shown here:
Windows Explorer-Left Pane Empty -
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=59067
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
news:o xDAOnFRFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I have tried all of the suggestions and it is still blank. When I try to
> run IE6Setup.exe, it says that the program has done an illeagle operation
> and exits. I have done the regestry updates given also. I even reinstalled
> Windows 98 SE. The left pane in explorer is still gray and blank. What
> should I do next? Would it help to downgrade to IE5?
>

> "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
> > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
> gray.
> > Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:47:22 AM

I want to thank all of you who responded to my problem. I tried all of the
fixes until one of them finally worked. In the process I learned a little
more about windows.

Thank you all again.

"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
> I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
gray.
> Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:29:47 AM

You are welcome.

--
| I want to thank all of you who responded to my problem. I tried all
of the
| fixes until one of them finally worked. In the process I learned a
little
| more about windows.
|
| Thank you all again.
|

| "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
| > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack,
the tree
| > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty
and
| gray.
| > Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:30:14 AM

This should put it right.
I do not remember the author of this piece
but it does works in most cases.

Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out

When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane in the
left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key for
Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following command
in the RUN box:

REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
(Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)

More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view the
explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this key
is missing:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

----

[XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
Can anyone help me get it back?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:30:15 AM

Thanks AAH, this one did the trick. I now have the tree in the left pane
again.

Thanks Again

"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
> This should put it right.
> I do not remember the author of this piece
> but it does works in most cases.

> Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out
>
> When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane in
the
> left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key for
> Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following
command
> in the RUN box:
>

> REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
> (Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)
>

> More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view the
> explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this key
> is missing:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

> ----
>
> [XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

> "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
> I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
gray.
> Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:30:15 AM

Nice work, AAH !!!

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:30:14 +0100, "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>
wrote:

>This should put it right.
>I do not remember the author of this piece
>but it does works in most cases.

>Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out
>
> When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane in the
>left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key for
>Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following command
>in the RUN box:
>

>REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
>(Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)
>

>More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view the
>explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this key
>is missing:
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

>----
>
>[XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

>"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
>I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
>view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
>Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:30:15 AM

Good catch, AAH!
I wonder why the Explorer Bar registry file did not work for the OP, as that should
have done the same as your fix....or perhaps he did not try it.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
> This should put it right.
> I do not remember the author of this piece
> but it does works in most cases.

> Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out
>
> When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane in the
> left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key for
> Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following command
> in the RUN box:
>

> REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
> (Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)
>

> More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view the
> explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this key
> is missing:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

> ----
>
> [XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

> "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
> I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
> Can anyone help me get it back?

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:30:15 AM

Interesting. I may take that into my master post, as it seems simpler
than all the rest.

--

!