Tree in left pane of explorer is gone

I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
Can anyone help me get it back?
17 answers Last reply
More about tree left pane explorer gone

    "All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
    > Can anyone help me get it back?

    "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in

    > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the
    > tree view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just
    > empty and gray. Can anyone help me get it back?

    Cut and paste this into notepad and save it as "fixpane.reg"
    Double click it or right click it and select "merge" to add it to your
    registry. If I'm not mistaken, I got this reg file out of this group a
    long time ago. Have run into the same problem several times on various
    people's computers and it's worked every time!

    --------------------------
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]
    @="Explorer Band"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
    \InProcServer32]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SHDOCVW.DLL"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
    \Implemented Categories]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
    \Implemented Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

    --------------------------
    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    I went to regedit and there is no ExplorerBar listed at the
    InternetExplorer\Main location.

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > "All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    > >I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the
    tree
    > > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
    gray.
    > > Can anyone help me get it back?

    Brian,

    Would the IE Repair tool do it?
    Start > Run enter MSinfo32, under the Tools tab.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:46:19 -0500, "Brian A."
    <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:

    >"All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
    >
    >--
    >
    >Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    >"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    >>I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    >> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
    >> Can anyone help me get it back?

    "All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
    (I don't have that Registry key, either-- no one ever does!)

    If that article doesn't work, then here is what I have for that.

    (1) "START, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, IE Repair Tool"
    It produces a rather large "Fix IE Log.txt" in C:\Windows. IE & E
    are basically one & the same. If this crashes, an over-install of IE is
    indicated.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177
    Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool

    (2) Over-install IE. Try first without, but I believe it will request an
    internet connection. Perhaps it is best to let it connect, actually. If
    you don't care to get this fancy, just skip to step (c).

    (a) Turn off interfering programs. Use http://www.pcmag.com/ 's
    "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2". Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".
    Note what is unchecked, if anything. Then, go to the General tab &
    disable the entire Startup Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking
    "Load Startup...". Reboot.

    (b) Perhaps, if you haven't got EndItAll2, then "Ctrl-Alt-Del" & end
    task all but Explorer & Systray. If this goes badly, start again from
    top, & skip it next time.

    (c) "START, Find, F/F, IE6Setup.exe". Click it in the Find window.
    NOTE: If you are IE5, then it's "IE5Setup.exe". If there are more
    than one (I have two each), click the one in "C:\WINDOWS\Windows
    Update Setup Files" or "C:\Windows Update Setup Files", as applicable.

    (d) Re-enable the Startup Group. That will automatically check all
    items. Go to the Startup tab & uncheck any noted in step (a). Reboot.

    (e) Perhaps go to Windows Update, to see whether it now offers
    criticals.

    (3) The Shawn fix.
    .........Start.........
    I recently installed several updates from the Windows Update site, and
    I started having three problem. My Windows Explorer All Folders pane
    was completely grey, the descriptions of my systray items appeared
    behind the taskbar where I couldn't read them, and Windows stopped
    remembering all of my inidividual folder settings. The first two have
    been fixed (for the third, see my next post).

    Since it took me some time to find a fix for the Folders Pane problem
    I figured I'd post what I did, and what eventually fixed it since it
    wasnt any of the usual fixes.

    I checked the two potentially relevent Microsoft KBs (192315 &
    194177). I verified the version of browseui.dll matched my version of
    IE. I did not have the ExplorerBar (or ExploreBar?) registry key.
    And I tried repairing IE with no luck. Repairing IE did fix the
    systray problem though.

    Then I found a post that referenced this page:
    http://forums.techguy.org/t59067/sceaa511ff5a90d402ce4bc1c9cff7ac3.html

    Close to the bottom, there's a txt file to download and rename to
    *.reg to apply to the registry. I checked all the relevant keys
    before applying it, and the only one that the file was going to change
    was the default key in
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\InProcSer
    ver32
    Mine was set to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL, and it changed it to
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL and immediately fixed the problem. If
    you're going to try that fix, I definitely recommend backing up your
    registry first, or at least checking to see what changes will be made
    in your registry, so you can change them back. There's a link on that
    page to another discussion that has a Win NT/2000/XP registry fix for
    the same problem.

    I had seen others say that reinstalling IE had fixed the problem, but
    I never got that far. I hope this helps some other people out there
    as I spent way too much time on this problem.

    Later,
    Shawn
    .........End....of quote......

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:47:32 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    wrote:

    >"All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
    >(I don't have that Registry key, either-- no one ever does!)

    I do, the size value for mine is:
    "ExplorerBar"=hex:07,01,00,00,6c,18,f7,bf

    Win 98SE, IE 5.5

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    Hmmm. In...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    ...., I have many values, but none is "ExplorerBar". Also, no one ever
    has said they had it when complaining of this problem, that I can
    recall.

    Although...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
    .......Quote...............
    The ExplorerBar value contains positioning information for the All
    Folders pane in Windows Explorer. The value is created only if the
    window was resized. When you remove the value, the window returns to the
    default position.
    .......EOQ.................

    ...., I can't, in IE6 SP1 (I know you are IE5.5), seem to get an
    "ExplorerBar" anywhere in the Registry. I have stretched the "All
    Folders" window in both Explorer & in IE6, the new size is remembered,
    but still I have no such Registry key.

    --
    "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
    | On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:47:32 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >"All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank
    | >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192315
    | >(I don't have that Registry key, either-- no one ever does!)
    |
    | I do, the size value for mine is:
    | "ExplorerBar"=hex:07,01,00,00,6c,18,f7,bf
    |
    | Win 98SE, IE 5.5
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Bill Watt
    | Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    I have tried all of the suggestions and it is still blank. When I try to
    run IE6Setup.exe, it says that the program has done an illeagle operation
    and exits. I have done the regestry updates given also. I even reinstalled
    Windows 98 SE. The left pane in explorer is still gray and blank. What
    should I do next? Would it help to downgrade to IE5?

    "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
    gray.
    > Can anyone help me get it back?

    Dave,

    If you haven't already, try extracting Explorer.exe from the Windows
    CD, it may be corrupt.

    It goes in the Windows folder. To extract try Start > Run and enter
    SFC. Extract just that one file. Don't use the SFC scan, it needs
    constant updating to be useful, or it could void any updates you
    have made.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:01:32 -0400, "Dave Flinker"
    <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote:

    >I have tried all of the suggestions and it is still blank. When I try to
    >run IE6Setup.exe, it says that the program has done an illeagle operation
    >and exits. I have done the regestry updates given also. I even reinstalled
    >Windows 98 SE. The left pane in explorer is still gray and blank. What
    >should I do next? Would it help to downgrade to IE5?
    >

    >"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    >> I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    >> view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
    >gray.
    >> Can anyone help me get it back?

    Have you tried the Registry file that Menno suggested? It is available to download
    in a .zip file, at the very end of the thread shown here:
    Windows Explorer-Left Pane Empty -
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=59067
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > I have tried all of the suggestions and it is still blank. When I try to
    > run IE6Setup.exe, it says that the program has done an illeagle operation
    > and exits. I have done the regestry updates given also. I even reinstalled
    > Windows 98 SE. The left pane in explorer is still gray and blank. What
    > should I do next? Would it help to downgrade to IE5?
    >

    > "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    > > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
    > gray.
    > > Can anyone help me get it back?

    I want to thank all of you who responded to my problem. I tried all of the
    fixes until one of them finally worked. In the process I learned a little
    more about windows.

    Thank you all again.

    "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
    gray.
    > Can anyone help me get it back?

    You are welcome.

    --
    | I want to thank all of you who responded to my problem. I tried all
    of the
    | fixes until one of them finally worked. In the process I learned a
    little
    | more about windows.
    |
    | Thank you all again.
    |

    | "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    | > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack,
    the tree
    | > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty
    and
    | gray.
    | > Can anyone help me get it back?

    This should put it right.
    I do not remember the author of this piece
    but it does works in most cases.

    Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out

    When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane in the
    left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key for
    Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following command
    in the RUN box:

    REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
    (Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)

    More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view the
    explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this key
    is missing:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

    ----

    [XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

    "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
    Can anyone help me get it back?

    Thanks AAH, this one did the trick. I now have the tree in the left pane
    again.

    Thanks Again

    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    > This should put it right.
    > I do not remember the author of this piece
    > but it does works in most cases.

    > Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out
    >
    > When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane in
    the
    > left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key for
    > Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following
    command
    > in the RUN box:
    >

    > REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
    > (Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)
    >

    > More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view the
    > explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this key
    > is missing:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

    > ----
    >
    > [XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

    > "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
    gray.
    > Can anyone help me get it back?

    Nice work, AAH !!!

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:30:14 +0100, "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>
    wrote:

    >This should put it right.
    >I do not remember the author of this piece
    >but it does works in most cases.

    >Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out
    >
    > When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane in the
    >left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key for
    >Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following command
    >in the RUN box:
    >

    >REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
    >(Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)
    >

    >More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view the
    >explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this key
    >is missing:
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

    >----
    >
    >[XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

    >"Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    >view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
    >Can anyone help me get it back?

    Good catch, AAH!
    I wonder why the Explorer Bar registry file did not work for the OP, as that should
    have done the same as your fix....or perhaps he did not try it.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    > This should put it right.
    > I do not remember the author of this piece
    > but it does works in most cases.

    > Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out
    >
    > When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane in the
    > left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key for
    > Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following command
    > in the RUN box:
    >

    > REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
    > (Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)
    >

    > More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view the
    > explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this key
    > is missing:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

    > ----
    >
    > [XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

    > "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the tree
    > view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and gray.
    > Can anyone help me get it back?

    Interesting. I may take that into my master post, as it seems simpler
    than all the rest.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    | This should put it right.
    | I do not remember the author of this piece
    | but it does works in most cases.
    |
    | ---------------------------------------------------
    |
    | Windows Explorer folder pane is blank - grayed out
    |
    | When you open Windows Explorer, you may notice that the folder pane
    in the
    | left side is completely grayed out. This happens if the registry key
    for
    | Explorer Band is missing. To resolve the problem, type the following
    command
    | in the RUN box:
    |

    | REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW
    | (Note that the /i parameter is mandatory)
    |

    | More Information: The following registry key is responsible to view
    the
    | explorer pane (left pane). The problem indicated above occurs, if this
    key
    | is missing:
    |
    | [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

    ------
    | ----
    |
    | [XP Tips Index] [Home] [Internet Explorer FAQ]

    | "Dave Flinker" <davef@yourgrant.com> wrote in message
    | I don't know what happened, but after cleaning up a virus attack, the
    tree
    | view in the left pane of explorer is gone. The pane is just empty and
    gray.
    | Can anyone help me get it back?

Virus Explorer Microsoft Windows