AMD 4800 x2 OC Temps

Golgi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
Hi, this is my 1st post. I am sorry about the redundancy of this post since there already are a lot of posts on CPU Temps.

I have a AMD 4800 OC. After 3 minutes of a full load on both CPUs the temp levels off at 55 C degrees and remains there.

Is this a safe temp for this CPU?

The reason I am worried is because after a 10 hr render at this temp I wonder if I might damage the CPU. And after hundred renders of this nature would it be better to lower the temp or just leave it as is?

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
get worried when you are above 65C

How far did you overclock it? What heatsink are you using?

I have same cpu, overclocked 10% to 2.64Ghz with a zalmon 9500.

I ran 3dmark06 twice. Ocing took it OVER 9,100. I then played FEAR for half an hour. I ran asus prob while I was playing fear. The cpu temp reached 45C.

Golgi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
I am using the stock cooler with the piping. I have the same motherboard. With games the cpu is 50c degrees. but when rendering 3d apps. it is 55c. I don't think I get full loads on both cpus with games.

Its OC to 2880 x2. I am new to OC so please bare with me. I used the AI booster in manual mode and clocked the FSB from 200 to 240.

10 minute renders now take 8 minutes so I figured it was worth it. I tried for better but the machine wouldn't boot.

Thank you.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
the stock heatsink that comes with amd is pretty good and will handle light oc'ing. However, after market heatsinks reallly don't cost much. You might want to look into one of them. They can really help lower the temp a lot.

Golgi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
I bought a case fan for intake and the system is cooler. But the cpu when rendering 3d apps at full load on both cpus I've seen the temps flucuate from 55c to 57c after a half hr of rendering. So it really didn't change anything.

After playing Oblivion 3 hrs and quiting and checking temps the cpu is at 49c.

So I am just going to leave well enough alone, unless some says otherwise.

Thank you very much for helping. :)

Not the same chip nor same setup, but I have a X2 3800+ in a small case stored in a cupboard (bad airflow). On stock freq and under heavy load it reaches 56°C with the fan spinning at 1900 RPM (cooler: Silencer 64 Ultra TC with AC Silver 5).
I overclocked it to 2.4 GHz (reminder: normal 3800+ runs at 2 GHz) and its max temp levelled at 62°C with fan spinning at 2250 RPM.

Now, most motherboards allow you to set a warning in BIOS: if it's on, default value is usually 70°C and minimum threshold is 60°C.

Thus, it is safe to say that if your CPU reaches the 60-70 range only when under heavy load, you don't have much to fear.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Not the same chip nor same setup, but I have a X2 3800+ in a small case stored in a cupboard (bad airflow). On stock freq and under heavy load it reaches 56°C with the fan spinning at 1900 RPM (cooler: Silencer 64 Ultra TC with AC Silver 5).
I overclocked it to 2.4 GHz (reminder: normal 3800+ runs at 2 GHz) and its max temp levelled at 62°C with fan spinning at 2250 RPM.

Now, most motherboards allow you to set a warning in BIOS: if it's on, default value is usually 70°C and minimum threshold is 60°C.

Thus, it is safe to say that if your CPU reaches the 60-70 range only when under heavy load, you don't have much to fear.

May I ask why the hell you'd keep your PC in a small cupboard?

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
get a better cooler , tuniq is great...them you will be more relaxed to enjoy your OC rig... you already got a top line CPU to OC , so spend some bucks to get a better cooler... next time get a lower CPU to make a higher OC and get more satisfaction on your OC...

most chip models have a maximum potential clock. Depending on demand, some low-cost, low-clock models may have a very high quality core - and in similar configurations, chips with smallest surface has a higher rate of success. This is why the X2 3800+ is an excellent overclocker:
- the core design and manufacturing process has the potential to reach 3.00 GHz, maybe more;
- the chip has a reduced L2 cache, so less chance to have a failing transistor that would make it unable to go past a certain frequency reliably.

I would compare it to the late Celeron 300A:
- the core design and manufacturing process had the potential to reach 500 MHz;
- the chip had a reduced, on-die L2 cache, that although smaller was clocked at CPU speed.
For that reason, 90% of Celeron 300A could reach 450 MHz without much more than a BIOS setting and a slightly larger cooler (I sandwiched mine between its stock cooler in the back, and a P3 cooler in front: it could run 24/7 on heavy load and go no higher than 32°C).

The X2 3800+, with its low clock, small L2 cache and high potential (for a sweet price) is quite gifted there too.

Golgi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
Thanks all. You given some things to think about. After 4 hrs of 3d designing and rendering temps in the room were high and the cpu varied between 59c - 59c. I thought I would hit 60c for sure but the fans spun faster when 59c was reached then relaxed at 58c. This cycle repeated over and over during a half hour render.

I see how easy it is to get addicted to OCing. It is a lot of fun.

Cool that you have your computer in a cupboard. I never heard of that and I love it. Thanks again. Great forum.

Latest posts