Disabled startup items folder now opens on bootup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 18, 2005 1:27:48 PM

Win98Se, with NAVPro 2003, Spybot S&D (resident),
Mailwasher, free Zone Alarm - AMDk6-2 CPU, 512 RAM,
standalone desktop on broadband.

This morning my computer has taken to displaying the
"disabled startup items" folder on bootup. Examining
msconfig shows that the General tab is set to "selective
startup" (I never noticed what it was before but the only
blank box in the list is winstart.bat, which doesn't seem to
exist on my machine)
There are no odd running processes in task manager, and the
startup list in the startup tab seems the same as normal.
Anyone any ideas why "disabled startup items" folder should
suddenly start displaying on bootup?

(I have family using the computer so can't be totally sure
what they get up to. AV and antispyware scans run daily,
using NAV, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and proprietary antispyware
tool from my ISP, BTYahoo!)

Many thanks.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

Robert, thanks for continuing to post here and please see if you can help
Jane. She needs help and is in dire straights. Hopefully, God will answer
my prayers and heal her and let the torment go from me and her. Anyway, to
answer your question download Adaware from Majorgeeks -- just Google it -- I
sometimes choose the 3rd link and switch it around to keep the hackers
guessing which one I will download -- they are trying to destroy my work for
the Lord which is to secure the United States Federal Government computer
network from hackers. Also, I highly suggest buying Zone Alarm Professional
with antivirus and also buying SpySweeper by Webroot -- remember you get what
you pay for. Finally, if you download anything free like music or even
screensavers or free wallpaper you are subjecting your computer to adware and
spyware. I hope this helps and please post back.

"Robert M Jones" wrote:

> Win98Se, with NAVPro 2003, Spybot S&D (resident),
> Mailwasher, free Zone Alarm - AMDk6-2 CPU, 512 RAM,
> standalone desktop on broadband.
>
> This morning my computer has taken to displaying the
> "disabled startup items" folder on bootup. Examining
> msconfig shows that the General tab is set to "selective
> startup" (I never noticed what it was before but the only
> blank box in the list is winstart.bat, which doesn't seem to
> exist on my machine)
> There are no odd running processes in task manager, and the
> startup list in the startup tab seems the same as normal.
> Anyone any ideas why "disabled startup items" folder should
> suddenly start displaying on bootup?
>
> (I have family using the computer so can't be totally sure
> what they get up to. AV and antispyware scans run daily,
> using NAV, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and proprietary antispyware
> tool from my ISP, BTYahoo!)
>
> Many thanks.
>

> --
> Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
> http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
> Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
> (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
> http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:19:40 PM

It will do that if you have a disabled startup item.

- Click Start>un> type msconfig and click OK.
- Click the Startup tab and put a check back in the box that is unchecked, for
Winstart.bat, so that all items have checkmarks and Normal Startup rather than
Selective Startup is selected. Click OK but do NOT restart when prompted.
- Click Start, mouse over to Programs> StartUp, right-click the winstart.bat item
there, and click Delete on the menu that appears.

If you cannot find the winstart.bat shortcut in the StartUp folder on the Start
Menu, to delete it, do this:

Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
"Software Environment" category.
In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
on the right.
Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
right.
Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o apZsE$QFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Win98Se, with NAVPro 2003, Spybot S&D (resident),
> Mailwasher, free Zone Alarm - AMDk6-2 CPU, 512 RAM,
> standalone desktop on broadband.
>
> This morning my computer has taken to displaying the
> "disabled startup items" folder on bootup. Examining
> msconfig shows that the General tab is set to "selective
> startup" (I never noticed what it was before but the only
> blank box in the list is winstart.bat, which doesn't seem to
> exist on my machine)
> There are no odd running processes in task manager, and the
> startup list in the startup tab seems the same as normal.
> Anyone any ideas why "disabled startup items" folder should
> suddenly start displaying on bootup?
>
> (I have family using the computer so can't be totally sure
> what they get up to. AV and antispyware scans run daily,
> using NAV, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and proprietary antispyware
> tool from my ISP, BTYahoo!)
>
> Many thanks.
>

> --
> Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
> http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
> Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
> (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
> http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:48:27 PM

I am also Selective in MSConfig with a "Disabled Startup Items" folder
with items inside. It does not show up anywhere at boot except in the
"START button, Programs" menu (& sometimes not even there).

(1) It is normal for "winstart.bat" to be blank/unusable. That means you
have no such file.

(2) Are any of the boxes checked & shaded at "MSConfig, General tab"?
Better click the respective tabs to see which items in them are
unchecked. If/when you switch to "Normal Startup", every item in the
tabs will get checked.

(3) Where is the "Disabled Startup Items" folder actually located? It
should be at... C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs.

(4) Does anything looking like "Disabled Startup Items" show up at the
"Startup" tab of MSConfig?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,