EpsonStylus 760 Strange Print Problem - Help !

Hi
I have an Epson Stylus 760 on my WIN98SE PC which has developed a
strange problem. It started when I was trying to compile a holiday
planning document and copying info. into my doc from Internet.
It now prints normal text documents OK but documents which contain
certain formatings cause words or whole lines to print incorrectly.
The words & lines are unrecognizable but look like characters with
very small font, possibly as superscript.
Examples of formatting which cause this distortion of the following
characters and the line below are Bookmarks, Hypertext
Table print OK but produce the same distortion of the text inside all
the cells if I shade just one cell.
I have produce several test document which show these distortion and
all print OK to a different old printer I have.
Photos printed on this printer now also show distortions. both in
terms of colour and colour striations across the photo.

The problem seemed like a Printer Driver to me but I have reinstalled
the Drivers both from my CD and from the Epson Web Site but this has
not solved the problem.

I have scanned my PC with NAV but nothing is detected.

Any idea anyone ?

Phil
2 answers Last reply
More about epsonstylus strange print problem

    It also strikes me as a driver issue. Something looks like it got
    corrupted, but I'm not sure what. You may need to do a really clean
    install of the Epson drivers. Epson may be able to provide a list of
    all the driver components, or you may have a previous installation log
    to look at. I would remove every entry and see if that resolves it on
    reinstallation.

    I know that Epson drivers can sometimes leave parts behind from older
    installs that can interfere with a new install.

    I had a similar weirdness when trying to print something from an older
    version of Word Perfect last week. AT first I thought it was just some
    strange dashed lines, but upon very close observation, I realized I was
    looking at the text of the document in about 1 point type! I was amazed
    it was all there and readable with a magnifier.

    For me, a reboot resolved the problem, however

    Art

    Phil Hampson wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have an Epson Stylus 760 on my WIN98SE PC which has developed a
    > strange problem. It started when I was trying to compile a holiday
    > planning document and copying info. into my doc from Internet.
    > It now prints normal text documents OK but documents which contain
    > certain formatings cause words or whole lines to print incorrectly.
    > The words & lines are unrecognizable but look like characters with
    > very small font, possibly as superscript.
    > Examples of formatting which cause this distortion of the following
    > characters and the line below are Bookmarks, Hypertext
    > Table print OK but produce the same distortion of the text inside all
    > the cells if I shade just one cell.
    > I have produce several test document which show these distortion and
    > all print OK to a different old printer I have.
    > Photos printed on this printer now also show distortions. both in
    > terms of colour and colour striations across the photo.
    >
    > The problem seemed like a Printer Driver to me but I have reinstalled
    > the Drivers both from my CD and from the Epson Web Site but this has
    > not solved the problem.
    >
    > I have scanned my PC with NAV but nothing is detected.
    >
    > Any idea anyone ?
    >
    > Phil

    Thanks for comments Art

    I removed the 2 Epson programs showing in the Windows list ( Printer
    SW & Printer USB Driver ) before doing the driver reinstall.
    I also tried using the utility on their CD to uninstall but still the
    same when I reinstalled. Cannot think of any other way to check for
    residual components,
    I have asked for help from Epson, using their E-Mail Support, but not
    yet received a reply.
    One recent thought is that their drivers may make use of a WIN98 DLL
    file which has become corrupt and which is not being replaced by the
    reinstall.
    It would be nice to find someone with a Stylus 760 printer so that I
    can send them ( or they send me ) a .PRN file which I or they have
    generated from a "Bad" DOC file and put this on their or my print
    queue. This would confirm if the fault is in the print file generated
    by the Printer Driver or with the printer itself.

    I have checked my very small print word/lines and they look like part
    of characters rather than whole, very small characters.

    It is interesting that the problem seemed to start ( maybe
    coincidental ) that the problem started after I was cutting and
    pasting text from a web site into my holiday document.

    Phil

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:18:16 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
    wrote:

    >It also strikes me as a driver issue. Something looks like it got
    >corrupted, but I'm not sure what. You may need to do a really clean
    >install of the Epson drivers. Epson may be able to provide a list of
    >all the driver components, or you may have a previous installation log
    >to look at. I would remove every entry and see if that resolves it on
    >reinstallation.
    >
    >I know that Epson drivers can sometimes leave parts behind from older
    >installs that can interfere with a new install.
    >
    >I had a similar weirdness when trying to print something from an older
    >version of Word Perfect last week. AT first I thought it was just some
    >strange dashed lines, but upon very close observation, I realized I was
    >looking at the text of the document in about 1 point type! I was amazed
    >it was all there and readable with a magnifier.
    >
    >For me, a reboot resolved the problem, however
    >
    >Art
    >
    >Phil Hampson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I have an Epson Stylus 760 on my WIN98SE PC which has developed a
    >> strange problem. It started when I was trying to compile a holiday
    >> planning document and copying info. into my doc from Internet.
    >> It now prints normal text documents OK but documents which contain
    >> certain formatings cause words or whole lines to print incorrectly.
    >> The words & lines are unrecognizable but look like characters with
    >> very small font, possibly as superscript.
    >> Examples of formatting which cause this distortion of the following
    >> characters and the line below are Bookmarks, Hypertext
    >> Table print OK but produce the same distortion of the text inside all
    >> the cells if I shade just one cell.
    >> I have produce several test document which show these distortion and
    >> all print OK to a different old printer I have.
    >> Photos printed on this printer now also show distortions. both in
    >> terms of colour and colour striations across the photo.
    >>
    >> The problem seemed like a Printer Driver to me but I have reinstalled
    >> the Drivers both from my CD and from the Epson Web Site but this has
    >> not solved the problem.
    >>
    >> I have scanned my PC with NAV but nothing is detected.
    >>
    >> Any idea anyone ?
    >>
    >> Phil

Printers Peripherals