running a batch file at startup

I'm running WinFax10 on my system. I want to back up all of my data files
for WinFax but I'm running into problems.

WinFax has it's own backup utility, but when it runs some of the data files
don't get backed up because they are in use. Similarly, when I try to copy
the data files to a backup directory I get the message that some files are
being used by another program (WinFax) and they can't be copied.

If I do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close all WinFax related programs I can copy
away to my hearts content. I'd like to run a batch file every time WinXP
boots, before any programs are loaded, but it seems that autoexec.bat is not
run at startup. Does anyone know how to force autoexec.bat to run or how to
make any batch file run at startup?

I'm a novice so please explain things simply. Thanks.

sparky,

i believe that you already have a batch file to copy the files you need from
one folder to another.

maybe a trick you could do is make sure that winfax doesn't start at
automatically. i presume winfax has this option.

on your batch file, at the end, you can include the exe file for winfax
along with its complete path.

i believe that when you do this, windows won't execute winfax, run your
batch file first, and then load winfax after.

another option would be to disable the startup of winfax, and that, when you
need to send something as fax, it should automatically start itself.

hope this helps a bit.
--
Regards,
Dennis Lazo

the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
e-mails may be sent at http://dennislazo.com/email/.
information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

" !Sparky" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running WinFax10 on my system. I want to back up all of my data files
> for WinFax but I'm running into problems.
>
> WinFax has it's own backup utility, but when it runs some of the data
> files
> don't get backed up because they are in use. Similarly, when I try to
> copy
> the data files to a backup directory I get the message that some files are
> being used by another program (WinFax) and they can't be copied.
>
> If I do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close all WinFax related programs I can copy
> away to my hearts content. I'd like to run a batch file every time WinXP
> boots, before any programs are loaded, but it seems that autoexec.bat is
> not
> run at startup. Does anyone know how to force autoexec.bat to run or how
> make any batch file run at startup?
>
> I'm a novice so please explain things simply. Thanks.

" !Sparky" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm running WinFax10 on my system. I want to back up all of my data files
>for WinFax but I'm running into problems.
>
>WinFax has it's own backup utility, but when it runs some of the data files
>don't get backed up because they are in use. Similarly, when I try to copy
>the data files to a backup directory I get the message that some files are
>being used by another program (WinFax) and they can't be copied.
>
>If I do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close all WinFax related programs I can copy
>away to my hearts content. I'd like to run a batch file every time WinXP
>boots, before any programs are loaded, but it seems that autoexec.bat is not
>run at startup. Does anyone know how to force autoexec.bat to run or how to
>make any batch file run at startup?
>
>I'm a novice so please explain things simply. Thanks.

There is no autoexec file that is processed by Windows XP at startup.
If you want something to run at startup create a batch file for this
and put a shortcut to launch the batch file into the Startup group on
the Start menu.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Thanks to you and Dennis. I created a batch file that backed up my files
and then loaded WinFax - works just fine.

Thanks again.