Windows 98 & updates?

Susan

My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100 and give
mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for mother to use to do
email, etc.

What small business did was to purchase group of computers from place, clean
them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the Windows 98 SE
operating system were supplied.

I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts on
computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important for security.
However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to try to install updates
because if worse thing happens, I could not reinstall Windows.

How concerned should I be about not being able to install Windows updates
and security and mother accessing accounts online?

Thanks for information.
Susan

The "small business" sold the computers with Windows installed and licensed, so they
are supposed to supply the disc also. You can buy your own disc online, though they
are starting to get scarce. eBay is one source....you must buy the same version of
Windows 98 that you have installed.

Check if the setup files from the CD are on the hard drive. They are often copied
to this location:
C:\Windows\Options\Cabs.
You can search for .cab files on the hard drives using Start> Find> Files or
Folders, and search on
*.cab
There will be 50-odd .cab files in the folder that has the setup files, if it
exists.

Post back with what you find. It is important for security to keep Windows updated,
and also important to have the setup files to restore missing or damaged files,
change Windows components, or to reinstall.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Susan wrote:
> My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100 and
> give mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for mother to
> use to do email, etc.
>
> What small business did was to purchase group of computers from
> place, clean them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the
> Windows 98 SE operating system were supplied.
>
> I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts
> on computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important for
> security. However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to try to
> install updates because if worse thing happens, I could not reinstall
> Windows.

Do you have one? Know how to copy CD>CD? Know how to format?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Susan

I have Windows XP Pro, and Windows Me on my Dells.
"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
> Susan wrote:
>> My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100 and
>> give mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for mother to
>> use to do email, etc.
>>
>> What small business did was to purchase group of computers from
>> place, clean them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the
>> Windows 98 SE operating system were supplied.
>>
>> I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts
>> on computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important for
>> security. However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to try to
>> install updates because if worse thing happens, I could not reinstall
>> Windows.
>
> Do you have one? Know how to copy CD>CD? Know how to format?
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Susan

I did the scan.
First I did the find with *.cab just C: specified and obtained 72 files.
Next I did the find with *.cab and C:\Windows and there were 43 files found.
It appears to me that Windows 95 was the original version installed because
of the Setupw95,Ts95,Mobile95 files found in C:\Windows Update Setup Files
and then it must have been upgraded to Windows 98 SE.

Susan wrote:
> I have Windows XP Pro, and Windows Me on my Dells.

Too bad. There is always eBay...

dadiOH
________________

> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
>> Susan wrote:
>>> My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100
>>> and give mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for
>>> mother to use to do email, etc.
>>>
>>> What small business did was to purchase group of computers from
>>> place, clean them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the
>>> Windows 98 SE operating system were supplied.
>>>
>>> I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts
>>> on computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important
>>> for security. However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to
>>> try to install updates because if worse thing happens, I could not
>>> reinstall Windows.
>>
>> Do you have one? Know how to copy CD>CD? Know how to format?
>>
>> --
>> dadiOH
>> ____________________________
>>
>> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

What is the exact folder location of the .cab files you found? If there are a whole
bunch in one location, look at the file dates on them. That should tell you what
version of Windows they are for. It does sound like you may have the old Win95 .cab
files on there, though.
--

> I did the scan.
> First I did the find with *.cab just C: specified and obtained 72 files.
> Next I did the find with *.cab and C:\Windows and there were 43 files found.
> It appears to me that Windows 95 was the original version installed because
> of the Setupw95,Ts95,Mobile95 files found in C:\Windows Update Setup Files
> and then it must have been upgraded to Windows 98 SE.

> > The "small business" sold the computers with Windows installed and
> > licensed, so they
> > are supposed to supply the disc also. You can buy your own disc online,
> > though they
> > are starting to get scarce. eBay is one source....you must buy the same
> > version of
> > Windows 98 that you have installed.
> >
> > Check if the setup files from the CD are on the hard drive. They are
> > often copied
> > to this location:
> > C:\Windows\Options\Cabs.
> > You can search for .cab files on the hard drives using Start> Find> Files
> > or
> > Folders, and search on
> > *.cab
> > There will be 50-odd .cab files in the folder that has the setup files, if
> > it
> > exists.
> >
> > Post back with what you find. It is important for security to keep
> > Windows updated,
> > and also important to have the setup files to restore missing or damaged
> > files,
> > change Windows components, or to reinstall.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100 and
> >> give
> >> mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for mother to use to do
> >> email, etc.
> >>
> >> What small business did was to purchase group of computers from place,
> >> clean
> >> them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the Windows 98 SE
> >> operating system were supplied.
> >>
> >> I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts on
> >> computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important for
> >> security.
> >> However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to try to install updates
> >> because if worse thing happens, I could not reinstall Windows.
> >>
> >> How concerned should I be about not being able to install Windows updates
> >> and security and mother accessing accounts online?
> >>
> >> Thanks for information.
> >> Susan

Sorry, I forgot to add: the setup files for Win98 will have names in this format:
Win98_##.cab
while the Win95 setup files will be in the format:
Win95_##.cab
There will be some other .cab file names also, but the majority are like that.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> I did the scan.
> First I did the find with *.cab just C: specified and obtained 72 files.
> Next I did the find with *.cab and C:\Windows and there were 43 files found.
> It appears to me that Windows 95 was the original version installed because
> of the Setupw95,Ts95,Mobile95 files found in C:\Windows Update Setup Files
> and then it must have been upgraded to Windows 98 SE.

> > The "small business" sold the computers with Windows installed and
> > licensed, so they
> > are supposed to supply the disc also. You can buy your own disc online,
> > though they
> > are starting to get scarce. eBay is one source....you must buy the same
> > version of
> > Windows 98 that you have installed.
> >
> > Check if the setup files from the CD are on the hard drive. They are
> > often copied
> > to this location:
> > C:\Windows\Options\Cabs.
> > You can search for .cab files on the hard drives using Start> Find> Files
> > or
> > Folders, and search on
> > *.cab
> > There will be 50-odd .cab files in the folder that has the setup files, if
> > it
> > exists.
> >
> > Post back with what you find. It is important for security to keep
> > Windows updated,
> > and also important to have the setup files to restore missing or damaged
> > files,
> > change Windows components, or to reinstall.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100 and
> >> give
> >> mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for mother to use to do
> >> email, etc.
> >>
> >> What small business did was to purchase group of computers from place,
> >> clean
> >> them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the Windows 98 SE
> >> operating system were supplied.
> >>
> >> I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts on
> >> computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important for
> >> security.
> >> However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to try to install updates
> >> because if worse thing happens, I could not reinstall Windows.
> >>
> >> How concerned should I be about not being able to install Windows updates
> >> and security and mother accessing accounts online?
> >>
> >> Thanks for information.
> >> Susan

lee

How to Determine Which Version of ie
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=164539

setupw95.cab, ts.cab, mobile95.cab files in Windows Update Setup Files
folder are your Internet Explorer installation files. Right clicked
properties of ie5setup.exe file might show you the exact version of ie
that you have there. These are NOT your Windows installation files,
but handy to keep around just the same as having them will save you the
50+ meg redownloading of same if you need to also reinstall ie at any
time in the future.

My count is 77 cab files in Windows\Options\Cabs folder, all for 98se
installation. Win98_27.cab and the like, perhaps you have yours on
another partition?

The biggest danger to your computer is installing windows updates.

The solution is to never install windows updates as they cause more
problems that they solve.

Ah you say "But isn't my computer insecure without these critical updates?"

Well let me put it this way, your computer will never be secure running
windows with or without the updates so if you think running the updates
makes your computer secure you are *wrong*.

The solution is not to update and accept that your computer is not secure.

It will save you a lot of grieve and you computer will runn better and
faster.

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100 and give
> mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for mother to use to do
> email, etc.
>
> What small business did was to purchase group of computers from place,
clean
> them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the Windows 98 SE
> operating system were supplied.
>
> I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts on
> computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important for
security.
> However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to try to install updates
> because if worse thing happens, I could not reinstall Windows.
>
> How concerned should I be about not being able to install Windows updates
> and security and mother accessing accounts online?
>
> Thanks for information.
> Susan

Bull.
--

"Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> The biggest danger to your computer is installing windows updates.
>
> The solution is to never install windows updates as they cause more
> problems that they solve.
>
> Ah you say "But isn't my computer insecure without these critical updates?"
>
> Well let me put it this way, your computer will never be secure running
> windows with or without the updates so if you think running the updates
> makes your computer secure you are *wrong*.
>
> The solution is not to update and accept that your computer is not secure.
>
> It will save you a lot of grieve and you computer will runn better and
> faster.
>

> "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> > My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100 and give
> > mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for mother to use to do
> > email, etc.
> >
> > What small business did was to purchase group of computers from place,
> clean
> > them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the Windows 98 SE
> > operating system were supplied.
> >
> > I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts on
> > computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important for
> security.
> > However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to try to install updates
> > because if worse thing happens, I could not reinstall Windows.
> >
> > How concerned should I be about not being able to install Windows updates
> > and security and mother accessing accounts online?
> >
> > Thanks for information.
> > Susan

Windows updates is bull yes.

If you thinnk windows is secure your are plain simple.

Runing updates will give you more problems than it solves,
the viruses I have had have caused less damage, now that
says something.

> Bull.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > The biggest danger to your computer is installing windows updates.
> >
> > The solution is to never install windows updates as they cause more
> > problems that they solve.
> >
> > Ah you say "But isn't my computer insecure without these critical
updates?"

> > Well let me put it this way, your computer will never be secure running
> > windows with or without the updates so if you think running the updates
> > makes your computer secure you are *wrong*.
> >
> > The solution is not to update and accept that your computer is not
secure.

> > It will save you a lot of grieve and you computer will runn better and
> > faster.
> >

> > "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > My sister purchased tower from small business in Atlanta for $100 and
give
> > > mother tower and her used monitor, speakers, etc. for mother to use to
do
> > > email, etc.
> > >
> > > What small business did was to purchase group of computers from place,
> > clean
> > > them up, and then sell them. Of course no cds for the Windows 98 SE
> > > operating system were supplied.
> > >
> > > I have concern about malware. I know mother likes to check accounts
on
> > > computer. I know that installing Windows Updates is important for
> > security.
> > > However, with no Windows cds, I would be afraid to try to install
updates
> > > because if worse thing happens, I could not reinstall Windows.
> > >
> > > How concerned should I be about not being able to install Windows
updates
> > > and security and mother accessing accounts online?
> > >
> > > Thanks for information.
> > > Susan

Thanks for sharing. I guess I've just be lucky all these years.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Horse hockey!

Donald McTrevor wrote:
> The biggest danger to your computer is installing windows updates.
>
> The solution is to never install windows updates as they cause more
> problems that they solve.
>
> Ah you say "But isn't my computer insecure without these critical
> updates?"
>
> Well let me put it this way, your computer will never be secure running
> windows with or without the updates so if you think running the updates
> makes your computer secure you are *wrong*.
>
> The solution is not to update and accept that your computer is not secure.
>
> It will save you a lot of grieve and you computer will runn better and
> faster.

I think you are confusing the words "be lucky"[sic] with "been an idiot".

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for sharing. I guess I've just be lucky all these years.
>
> "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in
>
> > Windows updates is bull yes.
> >
> > If you thinnk windows is secure your are plain simple.
> >
> > Runing updates will give you more problems than it solves,
> > the viruses I have had have caused less damage, now that
> > says something.
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> >> Bull.
> >> --
> >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >>

> >> "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> > updates?"

> > secure.

> > give
> > do

> > on
> > updates

> > updates

> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Troll.
Plonk.

> I think you are confusing the words "be lucky"[sic] with "been an idiot".
>

> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks for sharing. I guess I've just be lucky all these years.
> >
> > "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in
> >
> > > Windows updates is bull yes.
> > >
> > > If you thinnk windows is secure your are plain simple.
> > >
> > > Runing updates will give you more problems than it solves,
> > > the viruses I have had have caused less damage, now that
> > > says something.
> > >
> > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

> > > updates?"

> > > secure.

> > > give
> > > do

> > > on
> > > updates

> > > updates

> > --
> > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

ditto

glee wrote:
> Troll.
> Plonk.
>
> "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > I think you are confusing the words "be lucky"[sic] with "been an
> > idiot".
> >

> > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for sharing. I guess I've just be lucky all these years.
> > >
> > > "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in

> > > --
> > > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
> > > ---

Double-ditto, or d'ditto for short!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| ditto
|
| glee wrote:
| > Troll.
| > Plonk.
| >
| > "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > > I think you are confusing the words "be lucky"[sic] with "been an
| > > idiot".
....snip

I guess I shouldn't have fed the troll.... :)

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:OzeQmFsSFHA.3184
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Double-ditto, or d'ditto for short!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Uhuh, they can get nasty!

--
| I guess I shouldn't have fed the troll.... :)
|
| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:OzeQmFsSFHA.3184
| @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
|
| > Double-ditto, or d'ditto for short!
| >

| --
| --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
mother. ---

Wanker
Plonk

> Troll.
> Plonk.
>
> "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > I think you are confusing the words "be lucky"[sic] with "been an
idiot".

> > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for sharing. I guess I've just be lucky all these years.
> > >
> > > "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in

Windows

> > > --
> > > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
mother. ---

Wanker