Windows 98 se

mark

I need to create a backup of Windows 98 se. I don't have any of the CD's that
come with 98. Can this be done? and How? Can anyone help......

Check your hard drive for a folder with many Win98_##.cab files, usually found
in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, these are the 98 setup files.

As well, don't forget to write the Product Key on the disk or jewel case insert.
Without it you will not be able to reinstall if you fdisk/format the drive.

Here's my standard blurb on obtaining the PK:
If you need the product key, have not formatted your drive and can still access
Windows, MVP George Gedye has an app ( RegInfo ver3 ) that will pull it from the
registry for you.
http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/

Click on Software, click on Applications, scroll down to RegInfo ver3.
Or
Your Product Key can be found in the registry. Go to Start > Run, type in:
regedit and hit enter. Navigate to:
Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Click once on CurrentVersion, the name not the +, and scroll to ProductID or
ProductKey in the right pane.

If you can’t boot Win98, but haven’t formatted the system drive, then boot with
a startup floppy or to a command prompt and run either of these:
C:\Windows\command\Find /I “ProductKey� c:\windows\system.dat
C:\Windows\command\Find /I “ProductKey� c:\system.1st

If these steps aren’t possible (you already formatted it), US customers can
contact Microsoft at: 1 800 642-7676. They will issue
retail and OEM product keys after verifying data located on the W98 CD.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to create a backup of Windows 98 se. I don't have any of the CD's that
> come with 98. Can this be done? and How? Can anyone help......

MSBackup is visually impressive & certainly has endless docs. But it is
a poor tool for a full system backup. It has a 2 GB file size
limitation, (well, maybe it's 4 GB). You will not upgrade to a new OS
with it, as it is incompatible with other versions of itself. (Someone
did say you may install the old version to the new system, though.)
Also, you will go nuts trying to do incrementals, archive bits, etc.,
I'm sure. To do a full system restore from it, you need to fresh install
Windows first. (But Fuzzy Logic says no, per one of the following URLs.)
And there is tweaking involved. It WON'T be pretty. Take a look at...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=166172
Duplicating Windows 95/98/98 Second Edition Installation to a New Hard
Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187526
How to Restore Windows 98 from a Full System Backup
....or that, which still is a ton of potential trouble, & do you have a
"pcrestor"? Well, perhaps get it from this ton of additional
documentation...
http://www.vanwijk.com/-=%20Bookz%20=-/Special%20Edition%20Using%20Windows%2098/ch10/ch10.htm
Special Edition Using Windows 98 -10- Backing Up Your Data

Once you have a functioning system, especially one close to a clean
install, do a full system backup. If you have multiple partitions, I
guess a backup is a bit more complex. It depends upon the ties between
the Registry & the other partitions, as to whether they must be backed
up concurrently. Also, if you've changed the hardware since the backup,
you may need to change it back before a restore.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html Backup & partitioning strategy
http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/home.html Extended Operating System Loader
http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
http://www.arjsoftware.com ARJ Archiver
http://www.betterbackup.com/ Retrospect CD Backup
http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CD R/W Backup
http://www.cyberiapc.com/backup.htm MyOwnBackup (MOB) (Free)
http://www.han-soft.com/habt.php Auto Backup (30-day free trial)
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swdl.pl?c=co105&i=co105en&p=hpcdwriter2
Simple Backup
http://www.karenware.com/ PtReplicator (Free)
http://www.lifesaverbackup.com/
http://www.mvps.org/links.html Should have good info
http://www.pcmag.com/ Lots & lots of sturdy downloads. There is a $20
yearly charge now.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic Partition Magic
http://www.ranish.com/part/ Ranish Partition Manager
http://www.rescue-me.net/gold.html
http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/58307.shtml Backups
http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump_details.phtml?stp Backup MyPC
http://www.thirdstar.net/thirdstar_datarecovery.htm Data recovery
http://www.tomsterdam.com/ BU process, performance, etc.
http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html Partition Commander
http://www.veritas.com Backup apps
http://www.xxcopy.com/ Detailed Procedure Copy (Free)
http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

All gathered at this site. Whichever you choose, approach it carefully
and verify all is well. After making a copy, run Scandisk/Defrag on it.
If it's an Image, use it's verify option; perhaps, restore it and do a
Scandisk/Defrag.

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those last two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/two & one that was so-so.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I need to create a backup of Windows 98 se. I don't have any of the
CD's that
| come with 98. Can this be done? and How? Can anyone help......

You cannot do it with the Windows 98 full system backup. In order to
restore, you must re-install Windows 98 and then you run the restore utility
to restore the system to the point where it was backed up. The restore
utility does NOT run in DOS.

As mentioned, there are other utilities that will do this.

How to Restore Windows 98 from a Full System Backup
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187526

PattyL