Monitor resolution won't stick

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b C Monitor
April 18, 2005 1:53:39 PM

Hello
I am running win98
All of the sudden, when I boot up the resolution in windows changes
to 800x600. I have to restart in Dos and restore a different reg
for it to work. But when I reboot, it changes back to 800x600.
Going to settings.... will not allow a change.
I think some old game did this, but I can't seem to get it back.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

Idaho Ghost
sjr619@nospam.netboise.com
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 18, 2005 7:25:50 PM

You need to identify your video adapter or onboard chip and reinstall/update
the drivers for it. Get the latest updated drivers from the manufacturer and
install them per their instructions.

To update the drivers right click MyComputer, click Properties > Device
Manager.
Click the Plus next to Display Adapter ( Not monitor ) and double click your
video device to open it's properties.
Click the Drivers tab > Update driver.
Point/browse to the folder/drive where you have the driver files.

If that doesn't work you need to do a complete reinstall.
Boot to Safe Mode by pressing/holding down the CTRL key or continually tapping
the F8 key just after the memory count at the POST screen. This will bring up
the boot menu where you select Safe mode.
In Safe Mode right click MyComputer, click Properties > Device Manager
Remove any/all listed devices under Display Adapter ( Not monitor ).
Close out and reboot.
Windows will redetect the device, do not let it install the drivers, instead
select Have Disk and point to the Drive/folder where you have the driver files.

*Note: You may be asked for the WinCD so have it on hand. Another alternative is
if the Win Setup files are saved on the hard drive ( many .cab files ), you can
then point the path to the Win98 folder.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

news:D cp761pnvufo2h1lchg1iuqjfkccdtclfc@4ax.com...