Sign in with
Your question

Passes the girlfriend test... but what sound rig do YOU have

Last response: in Components
April 25, 2006 5:50:25 PM

I've recently purchased a Creative X-Fi Platinum

...and a set of Logitech Z-5450 5.1 surround speakers.

They sound great, and kick out more than enough bass to destroy a small building when the sub is set to less than 30%. I also got them because they have the wireless rear speakers... because I live in rented accommodation, it really helps to be able to move them around without fixings/wires to worry about.

...and it passes the girlfriend test. She hates PC's, hates the fact that I like to use one even more, and yet sits quite happily with me damaging her eardrums.

Oh, and I'm a rock musician, she likes dance / RnB. I also like gaming in 5.1 surround, and watching movies.

So, there you have it - the X-Fi/Logitech z-5450 combo - sounds great, pisses off the neighbours, and passes the girlfriend test.

PS: To all the stereo purists, I used to run my PC into a Sony 2x70w stereo amplifier and then into some 120w RMS 4-ft high floorstanding speakers. I don't intend to go back any time soon!

PPS: Yes I know 5.1 sux for music creation, so I use my sennheisser HD477 headphones for mixing.

Let me know what sound rigs you guys have...
April 25, 2006 7:13:30 PM

What floor standing speakers did you come from?

Could they be that poor as to not stand up to somthing from logitech? Or did you make the switch to have sound come from behind you and to make it easier to move around?
April 25, 2006 7:45:29 PM

Quote:
did you make the switch to have sound come from behind you and to make it easier to move around?

That is precisely it, otherwise I would have purchased a separate 5.1 surround amplifier and speakers and used the optical digital output from the X-Fi. I definitely wanted to move up to a 5.1 setup from a 2 speaker setup because I watch DVDs on the PC and wanted to game in surround sound.

The wireless rear speakers I felt were a unique selling point and very useful for me. I can even move them into my bedroom if needs be...

In addition, the Logitech sub I find very impressive, and the speakers perform well in games. I've shown alot of people F.E.A.R played through my setup and all were very impressed.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 25, 2006 8:39:14 PM

My $57 X-530's and onboard serve me well =}
Sound doesn't mean as much to me as graphics. As long sound quality isn't noticably bad, I can't justify taking money away from GFX card budget :o 
Just my opinion though, I know somebody will rape me for that comment...
April 25, 2006 9:52:24 PM

Quote:
My $57 X-530's and onboard serve me well =}
Sound doesn't mean as much to me as graphics. As long sound quality isn't noticably bad, I can't justify taking money away from GFX card budget :o 
Just my opinion though, I know somebody will rape me for that comment...

Usually because someone will say, how can you make a comment like that without experiencing it : >
April 25, 2006 11:06:48 PM

I got an audigy 2 zs which is connected to my samsung 800W 5.1 stereo system via optical out (with creatives optical dongle). Sounds absolutely great... and movies are wonderful.
April 25, 2006 11:40:07 PM

Quote:
PS: To all the stereo purists, I used to run my PC into a Sony 2x70w stereo amplifier and then into some 120w RMS 4-ft high floorstanding speakers. I don't intend to go back any time soon!

Heh.

The downstairs setup has some old (gorgeous) stand-mount Mission 772s. Bi-wired. I'm looking into a softer amp for music, but the whole lot currently goes through a Yamaha AX620... still needs more solid bass response, but where I'm living at the moment, the neigbours would not appreciate it. Soundcard is the standard TI kit in my Powerbook ;) 
Centre channel is an overbearing Celestion f35, and the rears are bi-polar Mordaunt Short monsters. I've had to tweak the amp for the Celestion, but it comes together quite nicely for DTS and the like.

Upstairs, 4.1 Altec Lansing ADA885s. Bought them for the dorm about 4 years back now, still can't find anything to compare price/performance. I really don't need anything special for playing Total War or NFS, so it's through a 2-channel CT4832 soundcard, coax.

Come to mention it, the newest thing in this list is the Powerbook, and it's 3 years gone already.
April 25, 2006 11:49:11 PM

I'm also an audio freak lol.

I have a Audigy 2 ZS with Logitech Z-5500]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121120]Logitech Z-5500

I have them hooked up to my PC (with the analog cables) and to my PS2 with the optical input. Both are in the same room.

The sound is AMAZING, the bass is awesome, too bad my room is kinda small lol. No distortion whatsoever.

Im planning on upgrading to a X-Fi Platinium after I buy my new computer.

I like the fact that your speakers have wireless rear satellites :D  Enjoy, that's another great system you have there.
April 26, 2006 2:23:53 AM

I'm about to buy a Dayton 12" :D  That will be perfect for my room!
April 26, 2006 2:24:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Upstairs, 4.1 Altec Lansing ADA885s. Bought them for the dorm about 4 years back now, still can't find anything to compare price/performance.

Try the iFi which can be had for $200 at select locations like most online vendors or Costco : )
April 26, 2006 4:30:31 AM

Quote:

Upstairs, 4.1 Altec Lansing ADA885s. Bought them for the dorm about 4 years back now, still can't find anything to compare price/performance.

Try the iFi which can be had for $200 at select locations like most online vendors or Costco : )
See, I would, but these were £45GBP - stupidly cheap for what they are, I'm reading around tha intarweb that they were the first PC speakers you could get with THX certification... but essentially, the PC is a toy, $200 would go quite far toward a second-hand Cyrus 3 though!

(Course I'd need to buy two...)
!