Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

19 in LCD

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:57:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Can some out there in sim land tell me how many inches is there
horizontally in a 19in. I believe there’s 19 from corner to corner
right?

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!

More about : lcd

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:56:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I just bought a new 19" Samsung SyncMaster 930b LCD. It measures exactly 19
inches diagnally corner to corner.
Dudley Henriques

"dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122141365.27351@forums.simradar.com...
> Can some out there in sim land tell me how many inches is there
> horizontally in a 19in. I believe there’s 19 from corner to corner
> right?
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:56:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dudley, what would you say the big difference is between the 915n and
the 930b besides 915n is not digital? I like the price factor of the
915n.



Dennis O

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Related resources
July 24, 2005 2:56:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"...my gauges have always been perfectly round."

Kinda makes me wonder what thse gauges would have looked like to those
two America West pilots???

Propwash
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:33:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I didn't actually check out any other Samsung monitors but the 930b as it
came highly recommended to me by people whose opinion I respect in the sim
community.
In my opinion there are two things you want to nail down when considering an
LCD for MSFS. The first is DVI capability as it's a much faster interface
than VGA between the GPU and the CPU. The second thing is the response time
of the monitor, which for the simulator should be as low as possible. The
930b has an 8ms response time which is considered very good for simulation.

I might add, that I have had no issues at all with this monitor in MSFS, and
I'm using it for test purposes on newly developed add on aircraft for the
sim.
Dudley

It's a much faster interface for an LCD monitor than the VGA technology. The
reason I wanted the DVI was because of the downsides for an LCD vs an analog
monitor in the simulator environment.
I strongly suggest that anyone considering an LCD for the simulator go the
DVI route, but this is simply an opinion.
FWIW, I like the monitor a lot. The colors are much better than the analog,
and I haven't found any refresh rate issues.
"dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122172675.30664@forums.simradar.com...
> Dudley, what would you say the big difference is between the 915n and
> the 930b besides 915n is not digital? I like the price factor of the
> 915n.
>
>
>
> Dennis O
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:10:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi dohallo,

My 19" LCD monitor measures 38cm horizontally.

Divided by 2.54, that is 14.960629" (approximately).

Regards,
John Ward
"dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122141365.27351@forums.simradar.com...
> Can some out there in sim land tell me how many inches is there
> horizontally in a 19in. I believe there's 19 from corner to corner
> right?
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:10:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Thanks John, I'm trying to see if it's worth it to buy a LCD's I have a
Dell 21" everyone says it will be the same screen size?

Dennis O

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
July 24, 2005 9:10:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"John ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:42e295a4$0$7010$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> Hi dohallo,
>
> My 19" LCD monitor measures 38cm horizontally.
>
> Divided by 2.54, that is 14.960629" (approximately).
>
> Regards,
> John Ward
> "dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> news:1122141365.27351@forums.simradar.com...
>> Can some out there in sim land tell me how many inches is there
>> horizontally in a 19in. I believe there's 19 from corner to corner
>> right?
>>
>> _________________________________________________________
>> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
>> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
>
>
OK, let's keep this silly - dot pitch on a 19" LCD is 0.296. 0.296x1280
(resolution is 1280x1024) = 378.88 (mm) = 37.888cm.
37.888/2.54=14.9165354330.... Anyway, in 'real' measurements (sorry,
although maths was my subject, I still can't think metric) my screen seems
to be about 14 7/8" - well, that's as close as my tape can get it! But
remember, at least with LCD, 19" MEANS 19", whereas with CRT, it probably
means more like 18"!
Regards,
Steve.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:38:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi dohallo,

That 2" rule-of-thumb is due to the fact that the image on screen goes
right to the 4 corners, thereby giving a little more size cf most CRT
monitors.

I used to have a 19" CRT, and I definitely get a bigger picture on my
19" LCD.

Regards,
John Ward
"dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122155445.29842@forums.simradar.com...
> Thanks John, I'm trying to see if it's worth it to buy a LCD's I have a
> Dell 21" everyone says it will be the same screen size?
>
> Dennis O
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
July 24, 2005 1:38:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"John ward" <
> That 2" rule-of-thumb is due to the fact that the image on screen goes
> right to the 4 corners, thereby giving a little more size cf most CRT
> monitors.

Actually as I understood it, in CRTs they used to base it on standardized
factory tube sizes (length etc). If you had that sized tube you could call
it a 17" even if it didn't measure 17" diagonally.

Dallas
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I also have just purchased a new 19" LCD monitor - an ACER

The only issue about it that I don't like is that these LCDs are designed to
run at one resolution only - in my case , it is 1280x1024. Note that this
resolution is a 5:4 ratio - and it seems that Fsim panels are designed to
run on a 4:3 ratio. This means in practice that the 2d panel and gauges in
the 2d panel are elongated vertically. It is possible to grab and stretch
the 2d panel so that you get round gauges -- but you must do this for every
a/c as you use them. I can live with this and some people say that they
can't see any elongation ( I can't understand that on a 19" panel- the
elongation is very evident) -- but for some , it may be something they can't
live with. I know that some are fussier about less significant matters.

Barry
July 24, 2005 5:55:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Barry Ward"
> 1280x1024. Note that this
> the 2d panel are elongated vertically.

I don't know what's wrong with your set up... I've run at 1280x1024 with
both a CRT and LCD and my gauges have always been perfectly round.


Dallas
July 24, 2005 5:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
> "Barry Ward"
>
>>1280x1024. Note that this
>>the 2d panel are elongated vertically.
>
>
> I don't know what's wrong with your set up... I've run at 1280x1024 with
> both a CRT and LCD and my gauges have always been perfectly round.
>
>
> Dallas
>
>

But your eyes are oval Dalli.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:55:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

My pleasure. Good luck with the LCD decision.
DH

"dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122176722.27351@forums.simradar.com...
> Dudley, I watch your treads all the time and I believe your opinion is
> well worth it.
>
> Thanks once again
>
> Dennis O http://images.simradar.com/images/forums/big_grin.gif
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
!