19 in LCD

Can some out there in sim land tell me how many inches is there
horizontally in a 19in. I believe there’s 19 from corner to corner
right?

More about tomshardware

    I just bought a new 19" Samsung SyncMaster 930b LCD. It measures exactly 19
    inches diagnally corner to corner.
    Dudley Henriques

    "dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    > Can some out there in sim land tell me how many inches is there
    > horizontally in a 19in. I believe there’s 19 from corner to corner
    > right?

    Dudley, what would you say the big difference is between the 915n and
    the 930b besides 915n is not digital? I like the price factor of the
    915n.

    Dennis O

    "...my gauges have always been perfectly round."

    Kinda makes me wonder what thse gauges would have looked like to those
    two America West pilots???

    Propwash

    I didn't actually check out any other Samsung monitors but the 930b as it
    came highly recommended to me by people whose opinion I respect in the sim
    community.
    In my opinion there are two things you want to nail down when considering an
    LCD for MSFS. The first is DVI capability as it's a much faster interface
    than VGA between the GPU and the CPU. The second thing is the response time
    of the monitor, which for the simulator should be as low as possible. The
    930b has an 8ms response time which is considered very good for simulation.

    I might add, that I have had no issues at all with this monitor in MSFS, and
    I'm using it for test purposes on newly developed add on aircraft for the
    sim.
    Dudley

    It's a much faster interface for an LCD monitor than the VGA technology. The
    reason I wanted the DVI was because of the downsides for an LCD vs an analog
    monitor in the simulator environment.
    I strongly suggest that anyone considering an LCD for the simulator go the
    DVI route, but this is simply an opinion.
    FWIW, I like the monitor a lot. The colors are much better than the analog,
    and I haven't found any refresh rate issues.
    > Dudley, what would you say the big difference is between the 915n and
    > the 930b besides 915n is not digital? I like the price factor of the
    > 915n.
    >

    > Dennis O

    Dudley, I watch your treads all the time and I believe your opinion is
    well worth it.

    Thanks once again

    Dennis O http://images.simradar.com/images/forums/big_grin.gif

    Hi dohallo,

    My 19" LCD monitor measures 38cm horizontally.

    Divided by 2.54, that is 14.960629" (approximately).

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    > Can some out there in sim land tell me how many inches is there
    > horizontally in a 19in. I believe there's 19 from corner to corner
    > right?

    Thanks John, I'm trying to see if it's worth it to buy a LCD's I have a
    Dell 21" everyone says it will be the same screen size?

    Dennis O

    "John ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi dohallo,
    >
    > My 19" LCD monitor measures 38cm horizontally.
    >
    > Divided by 2.54, that is 14.960629" (approximately).
    >
    > Regards,
    > John Ward
    > "dohallo" <dohallo@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    >> Can some out there in sim land tell me how many inches is there
    >> horizontally in a 19in. I believe there's 19 from corner to corner
    >> right?

    OK, let's keep this silly - dot pitch on a 19" LCD is 0.296. 0.296x1280
    (resolution is 1280x1024) = 378.88 (mm) = 37.888cm.
    37.888/2.54=14.9165354330.... Anyway, in 'real' measurements (sorry,
    although maths was my subject, I still can't think metric) my screen seems
    to be about 14 7/8" - well, that's as close as my tape can get it! But
    remember, at least with LCD, 19" MEANS 19", whereas with CRT, it probably
    means more like 18"!
    Regards,
    Steve.

    Hi dohallo,

    That 2" rule-of-thumb is due to the fact that the image on screen goes
    right to the 4 corners, thereby giving a little more size cf most CRT
    monitors.

    I used to have a 19" CRT, and I definitely get a bigger picture on my
    19" LCD.

    Regards,
    John Ward
    > Thanks John, I'm trying to see if it's worth it to buy a LCD's I have a
    > Dell 21" everyone says it will be the same screen size?
    >
    > Dennis O

    "John ward" <
    > That 2" rule-of-thumb is due to the fact that the image on screen goes
    > right to the 4 corners, thereby giving a little more size cf most CRT
    > monitors.

    Actually as I understood it, in CRTs they used to base it on standardized
    factory tube sizes (length etc). If you had that sized tube you could call
    it a 17" even if it didn't measure 17" diagonally.

    Dallas

    I also have just purchased a new 19" LCD monitor - an ACER

    The only issue about it that I don't like is that these LCDs are designed to
    run at one resolution only - in my case , it is 1280x1024. Note that this
    resolution is a 5:4 ratio - and it seems that Fsim panels are designed to
    run on a 4:3 ratio. This means in practice that the 2d panel and gauges in
    the 2d panel are elongated vertically. It is possible to grab and stretch
    the 2d panel so that you get round gauges -- but you must do this for every
    a/c as you use them. I can live with this and some people say that they
    can't see any elongation ( I can't understand that on a 19" panel- the
    elongation is very evident) -- but for some , it may be something they can't
    live with. I know that some are fussier about less significant matters.

    Barry

    "Barry Ward"
    > 1280x1024. Note that this
    > the 2d panel are elongated vertically.

    I don't know what's wrong with your set up... I've run at 1280x1024 with
    both a CRT and LCD and my gauges have always been perfectly round.

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:
    > "Barry Ward"
    >
    >>1280x1024. Note that this
    >>the 2d panel are elongated vertically.
    >

    > I don't know what's wrong with your set up... I've run at 1280x1024 with
    > both a CRT and LCD and my gauges have always been perfectly round.
    >

    > Dallas

    But your eyes are oval Dalli.

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    My pleasure. Good luck with the LCD decision.
    DH

    > Dudley, I watch your treads all the time and I believe your opinion is
    > well worth it.
    >
    > Thanks once again
    >
    > Dennis O http://images.simradar.com/images/forums/big_grin.gif

LCD Video Games Product