Sign in with
Your question

Reading temps with SpeedFan

Last response: in Overclocking
April 25, 2006 6:35:26 PM

I just installed SpeedFan to monitor the temperature of my CPU and graphics card.

In SpeedFan, there's a list of temperatures, but they are named Temp1, Temp2, Local, Remote, etc. How can I figure out where the measurements are being taken and change the names accordingly? Thanks in advance

-Ducky

More about : reading temps speedfan

April 26, 2006 1:31:07 AM

For CPU, run super pi and you will see the CPU temp rising. For graphic card, Run a game. (In a game, Both CPU and graphic card temps will rise.

There is no other way to find it.
April 26, 2006 10:23:01 AM

Temp 1 varies wildly; it just went from 8 to 36C, and back to 13. Temps 2,3, and local seem to all rise at the same time. Since I started running Prime95 about fifteen minutes ago, they've alll gone from 23C to 30C. The HD temperature has gone up three degrees, and the second Temp 1 has been at 40C without going up. I'm very confused. I gotta go now; I'll be back in like eight hours.
Related resources
April 26, 2006 6:32:17 PM

Quote:
Show me a screenshot and the 'automated wuzy analyser' will tell you which is which. 8)

Pray tel, how do I insert a screenshot? I know to press prt scr, but how do I insert it into a post?
April 26, 2006 7:35:42 PM

Quote:
Show me a screenshot and the 'automated wuzy analyser' will tell you which is which. 8)

the side no longer says your wuzy... it's wuSy to you boy... :lol: 

disclaimer: my computer and/or internet connection may be retarded

Ara
April 26, 2006 7:40:58 PM

Quote:

the side no longer says your wuzy... it's wuSy to you boy... :lol: 

disclaimer: my computer and/or internet connection may be retarded

Ara

I'd bet on your computer being retarded. Can you please tell me how to insert a frickin screenshot?
April 27, 2006 8:41:00 AM

FYI - Speedfan mostlikely does not do your Video Card temp.
April 29, 2006 3:26:23 AM

Quote:

Pray tel, how do I insert a screenshot? I know to press prt scr, but how do I insert it into a post?
Upload it to photobuck(or similar site) then use the

I know that Vcore 1 is the CPU; I checked the CPU voltage in the BIOS. Would Temp1 be the CPU because it's Vcore1? In the BIOS, the CPU temperature was 15C, which doesn't seem realistic. I'm using the stock AMD cooler with AS5.
April 29, 2006 3:27:02 AM

Or...
You could go to speedfan site and see if there are any user submitted configs for your motherboard. That way temps for any sensor on that board will be reported and labeled accordingly.

The local/remote temp is usually the video card temps. Speedfan can monitor a few different sensors that video cards are using.
April 29, 2006 3:36:40 AM

Quote:
Or...
You could go to speedfan site and see if there are any user submitted configs for your motherboard. That way temps for any sensor on that board will be reported and labeled accordingly.

The local/remote temp is usually the video card temps. Speedfan can monitor a few different sensors that video cards are using.

I just looked; no configs. Look at the screenshot; all the temperatures look low.
April 29, 2006 5:13:33 AM

I'm just guessing, but comparing it to my readings, I'd say:

Temp1 is MB
Temp2 is the CPU

But seeing that temp1 is 18C, makes me wonder.

I have value readings on other temp(x) showing -1C.

But since I have another monitor, its pretty much easy from me to figure out which is basically reading the same sensor.
April 29, 2006 1:17:29 PM

Quote:
What's your room temperature?

68-72F.

I have to add that last night, I got bored, so I went into the BIOS and started overclocking. I raised the FSB to 205, left the BIOS, and booted Windows. Then I restarted the computer, went into the BIOS again, and raised the FSB to 210. I left the BIOS, and all I got was a black screen. I turned the computer off, came back in ten minutes, and still a black screen. I opened the case, and I didn't smell anything burning. I'm a total n00b at CPU overclocking, so I have no idea what to do.
April 29, 2006 2:39:16 PM

Quote:
What's your room temperature?

68-72F.

I have to add that last night, I got bored, so I went into the BIOS and started overclocking. I raised the FSB to 205, left the BIOS, and booted Windows. Then I restarted the computer, went into the BIOS again, and raised the FSB to 210. I left the BIOS, and all I got was a black screen. I turned the computer off, came back in ten minutes, and still a black screen. I opened the case, and I didn't smell anything burning. I'm a total n00b at CPU overclocking, so I have no idea what to do.

Any ideas?
April 29, 2006 3:08:00 PM

As for your overclock, I would return bios settings to default until you can get your temp issue under control. If your MB isn't directly supported by Speedfan your going to get all kinds of jacked up readings. Use it to control fans if you don't want to buy a fan controller, but that's about it. I tried it and it claimed one of my temps was 120C! while all my other temps were in the 30's. Since no flames were shooting out of my case, I decided the temp must be off. Everest, as mentioned above, works great for me on desktops and laptops alike.
April 29, 2006 8:05:48 PM

Quote:
As for your overclock, I would return bios settings to default until you can get your temp issue under control. If your MB isn't directly supported by Speedfan your going to get all kinds of jacked up readings. Use it to control fans if you don't want to buy a fan controller, but that's about it. I tried it and it claimed one of my temps was 120C! while all my other temps were in the 30's. Since no flames were shooting out of my case, I decided the temp must be off. Everest, as mentioned above, works great for me on desktops and laptops alike.

I raised the FSB by 10 MHz, which would make it a 2.3GHz CPU. Now, I press the power button, and all the fans come on, but there's nothing displayed on the monitor. What can I do?
April 30, 2006 10:19:11 PM

um take out the CMOS battery and reinstall it and you chould boot up oth stock settings on your bios . Sometimes there are jumpers you short to clear the cmos.
May 2, 2006 7:20:56 PM

Quote:
um take out the CMOS battery and reinstall it and you chould boot up oth stock settings on your bios . Sometimes there are jumpers you short to clear the cmos.

True. First look for jumpers. Short it, but remember to put it back the way it was.
But I would also recomend that you first check your temps before OCing.

Good luck.
May 3, 2006 6:39:20 PM

speed fan website explain which sensor give the reading.
you can find out sensor set up under configure
I have asus a8v and 939 3400+ . 6600gt agp (leadtek)
temp1: motherboard
temp2 cpu
local: video card air sensor
remote: video card core( slight off compare riverturner report)
verify temp reading with asus probe and riverturner.

for the oc part:
you should run some tests after you increasing the fsb, make sure whole system is stable, prime 95 so on.
read user menu befor oc, oc always has risk.
!