Before "Clean Boot"

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 19, 2005 2:52:12 PM

(Former post under subject of "Two Problems - W98")

My PC operates W98 & IE6 SP1.

Before trying Gary S Terhune's "Clean Boot" routine, and trying another
Defrag, I couldn't help but notice that on the "Start-Up" tab of "msconfig"
my PC has 51 programs.
Of these, only 21 are selected (including "Intervideo WinCinema Manager" &
"Load Power Profile" being duplicated), 4 are definitely not wanted ("Time
Calendar", "AOL Instant Messenger", "Screen Saver Control" & "Time Calendar
LE") and the rest (some 24) are not known to me.
I would welcome some advice as to what to do about it, if anything? Should I
get rid of them - if so How? Are there some I should keep?
I am delaying all further work in this area for now.
Regards
PeterO
=====

More about : clean boot

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:52:13 PM

The sites listed below should help you understand and identify the startup items, to
determine which need to be removed, and how to go about that:

Clean up your startup group:
http://www.rickrogers.org/clean.htm

Startup Programs Loading:
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

Start-ups:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Task List Programs:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....

StartUps:
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

StartUp List:

Windows Startup Online Repository:
http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php

Post back with your list if you need more help and someone may recognise some of
them. To do so, follow the procedure below:

Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
"Software Environment" category.
In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
on the right.
Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
right.
Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> (Former post under subject of "Two Problems - W98")
>
> My PC operates W98 & IE6 SP1.
>
> Before trying Gary S Terhune's "Clean Boot" routine, and trying another
> Defrag, I couldn't help but notice that on the "Start-Up" tab of "msconfig"
> my PC has 51 programs.
> Of these, only 21 are selected (including "Intervideo WinCinema Manager" &
> "Load Power Profile" being duplicated), 4 are definitely not wanted ("Time
> Calendar", "AOL Instant Messenger", "Screen Saver Control" & "Time Calendar
> LE") and the rest (some 24) are not known to me.
> I would welcome some advice as to what to do about it, if anything? Should I
> get rid of them - if so How? Are there some I should keep?
> I am delaying all further work in this area for now.
> Regards
> PeterO
> =====

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:09:18 PM

Try Glee's sites to see whether you need 51 items. The two
"LoadPowerProfiles" are normal. Also...

If you have an item in "MSConfig, Startup tab" duplicated, but one is
checked & the other(s) are not, check them all & click "Apply, OK". It
will ask that you reboot. Answer "No". You will be left with just one,
if they were true duplicates. "Then you should either uninstall the
programs you don't want loaded or use their setup/config programs to
disable the parts you don't want loaded", says Richard G. Harper (MVP
MPS-D). But if it doesn't work, or you have an unchecked one without a
duplicate, then...

MSConfig keeps it in Startup, just in case you want to check it again.
It has not been loaded to run, as Ctrl-Alt-Del shows. It has been moved
to a Minus (-) Key in the Registry. To remove it from the Registry, you
may navigate to the Key, and delete the entry under it. That will also
remove it from MSConfig Startup, where you will no longer be able to
check it. It's probably under one of these Keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
-
^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".

Also here:
"C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Disabled Startup Items"
"START, Run, Win.ini". Delete any 'norun' entries under the [Windows]
section.

You would navigate to each key, by clicking the plus signs in the left
pane. When you see "Run-", click it and look in the right pane, for what
looks like the one your looking for. R-Clk it in the right pane and
select "delete". However, first: "Registry menu, Export Registry File".
This will create a .reg file of that Minus Key, which you may run (by
clicking) to undo the delete you are about to do. All of that can more
easily be done with
http://www.pcmag.com/ ' RegEdit+, which has a customizable "Favorites"
list, which includes those Minus Keys. It also has automatic "undo".
Registry Detective is another worthy program freely downloadable there.
StartupCop may really be what you need, also there.

Watch out, keep the LoadPowerProfiles, and, I guess, any virus scanner
duplicates.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,