Program Files folder read-only attribute won't stick

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 19, 2005 7:34:02 AM

I am trying to get the Program Files folder to display the warning message in
the left-hand pane when you open the folder in My Computer. In order to do
this, the read-only attribute needs to be set for the folder. This means that
it will display the folder.htt file in the left-hand pane.

The problem is that every time I start Windows, the read-only attribute is
always turned off! I have tried setting it through Windows Explorer and
through the attrib command in DOS but it always gets reset the next time I
start Windows. Why is this happening and how can I get the read-only
attribute to stay on?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:45:19 PM

Let it be! I'm sure I played with that once to my regret! Windows does
not want it so, with Program Files!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 6195EB9-CA6F-4417-BA80-0024F6D5D166@microsoft.com...
| I am trying to get the Program Files folder to display the warning
message in
| the left-hand pane when you open the folder in My Computer. In order
to do
| this, the read-only attribute needs to be set for the folder. This
means that
| it will display the folder.htt file in the left-hand pane.
|
| The problem is that every time I start Windows, the read-only
attribute is
| always turned off! I have tried setting it through Windows Explorer
and
| through the attrib command in DOS but it always gets reset the next
time I
| start Windows. Why is this happening and how can I get the read-only
| attribute to stay on?
April 21, 2005 7:52:00 AM

That's odd because mine IS Read Only attributed and appearently always
has been (I never even noticed before). That is the only attribute for
the Program Files folder too if that makes a difference.

I'm suspecting perhaps a setting in the Registry might play a part in
this?
Related resources
April 21, 2005 11:08:03 AM

Hi Lee

Don't know... I did look at the Registry but couldn't find anything. Do you
have any ideas?

"Lee" wrote:

> That's odd because mine IS Read Only attributed and appearently always
> has been (I never even noticed before). That is the only attribute for
> the Program Files folder too if that makes a difference.
>
> I'm suspecting perhaps a setting in the Registry might play a part in
> this?

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 7:41:20 PM

I'm sure certain folders should never be made Hidden. Perhaps it wasn't
Program Files, but System or Desktop that caused me grief, though.

Note: If one turns on Thumbnails view for a folder in it's Properties,
then Windows will automatically make the folder Hidden, & visa versa, as
soon as one clicks Apply.

Can that be what you did to Program Files?

--
"Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
| That's odd because mine IS Read Only attributed and appearently always
| has been (I never even noticed before). That is the only attribute
for
| the Program Files folder too if that makes a difference.
|
| I'm suspecting perhaps a setting in the Registry might play a part in
| this?

April 25, 2005 6:38:11 AM

Hi PCR

A big thank you to you! It looks like your thumbnails suggestion worked. I
checked the "Enable thumbnail view" option for the Program Files folder and
the read-only attribute was set. Next, I un-checked the thumbnail option and
the read-only attribute still stayed set. I then re-booted the computer and...

.... the read-only attribute was still set! At last - it looks like it's
stuck and I now get the warning message on the left-hand pane for the Program
Files folder. Thanks again.

Regards

Daniel

"PCR" wrote:

> I'm sure certain folders should never be made Hidden. Perhaps it wasn't
> Program Files, but System or Desktop that caused me grief, though.
>
> Note: If one turns on Thumbnails view for a folder in it's Properties,
> then Windows will automatically make the folder Hidden, & visa versa, as
> soon as one clicks Apply.
>
> Can that be what you did to Program Files?
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> | That's odd because mine IS Read Only attributed and appearently always
> | has been (I never even noticed before). That is the only attribute
> for
> | the Program Files folder too if that makes a difference.
> |
> | I'm suspecting perhaps a setting in the Registry might play a part in
> | this?

April 25, 2005 6:48:03 AM

Hi PCR (again)

BTW, hope you found that link I posted to the McAfee SuperDAT downloads
useful. Oh, I should have mentioned that it asks you whether or not you have
a PrimeSupport agreement - wouldn't worry about this too much, just click
"Agree" and you're done.

Regards

Daniel

> "PCR" wrote:
>
> > I'm sure certain folders should never be made Hidden. Perhaps it wasn't
> > Program Files, but System or Desktop that caused me grief, though.
> >
> > Note: If one turns on Thumbnails view for a folder in it's Properties,
> > then Windows will automatically make the folder Hidden, & visa versa, as
> > soon as one clicks Apply.
> >
> > Can that be what you did to Program Files?
> >

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > | That's odd because mine IS Read Only attributed and appearently always
> > | has been (I never even noticed before). That is the only attribute
> > for
> > | the Program Files folder too if that makes a difference.
> > |
> > | I'm suspecting perhaps a setting in the Registry might play a part in
> > | this?

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:45:03 PM

Yes, I saw the link you posted, thanks. Well... I'm glad you got what
you wanted. Perhaps the Thumbnails box jogged a setting or something.
Still, in mine, unchecking the Thumbnails box & clicking apply removed
the Hidden attribute.

Definitely, don't try this with C:\Windows\System or with
C:\Windows\Desktop. I am fairly certain one of those leads to an
exceedingly unpleasant experience!

--
| Hi PCR (again)
|
| BTW, hope you found that link I posted to the McAfee SuperDAT
downloads
| useful. Oh, I should have mentioned that it asks you whether or not
you have
| a PrimeSupport agreement - wouldn't worry about this too much, just
click
| "Agree" and you're done.
|
| Regards
|
| Daniel
|

| > "PCR" wrote:
| >
| > > I'm sure certain folders should never be made Hidden. Perhaps it
wasn't
| > > Program Files, but System or Desktop that caused me grief, though.
| > >
| > > Note: If one turns on Thumbnails view for a folder in it's
Properties,
| > > then Windows will automatically make the folder Hidden, & visa
versa, as
| > > soon as one clicks Apply.
| > >
| > > Can that be what you did to Program Files?
| > >

| > > --
| > > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > > should things get worse after this,
| > > PCR
| > > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > > "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
| > > for
| > > |
| > > |

April 26, 2005 5:59:01 AM

Hi PCR

Now that I've fixed the Program Files folder issue, I'm definitely leaving
the rest of the folders alone!

Regards

Daniel

"PCR" wrote:

> Yes, I saw the link you posted, thanks. Well... I'm glad you got what
> you wanted. Perhaps the Thumbnails box jogged a setting or something.
> Still, in mine, unchecking the Thumbnails box & clicking apply removed
> the Hidden attribute.
>
> Definitely, don't try this with C:\Windows\System or with
> C:\Windows\Desktop. I am fairly certain one of those leads to an
> exceedingly unpleasant experience!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hi PCR (again)
> |
> | BTW, hope you found that link I posted to the McAfee SuperDAT
> downloads
> | useful. Oh, I should have mentioned that it asks you whether or not
> you have
> | a PrimeSupport agreement - wouldn't worry about this too much, just
> click
> | "Agree" and you're done.
> |
> | Regards
> |
> | Daniel

> wasn't

> Properties,
> versa, as

> always
> attribute
> | > > |
> part in
> | > > |

April 26, 2005 6:16:38 AM

Not here no as I always use detail view and delete desktop.ini and
folder.htt files with a passion. I'm now suspecting that it's
desktop.ini file (or lack of) that was playing a part in Daniel's issue
which appears to be fixed now - that's what I call I a lucky shot PCR!!
I'd still take credit for it though if I were you.

No thanks on making Systems folder Read Only, I'll leave well enough
alone there.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:43:43 AM

Goooood! It was a horrid experience that I needed to undo in DOS! Glad
you've gotten what you wanted.

--
| Hi PCR
|
| Now that I've fixed the Program Files folder issue, I'm definitely
leaving
| the rest of the folders alone!
|
| Regards
|
| Daniel
|

| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > Yes, I saw the link you posted, thanks. Well... I'm glad you got
what
| > you wanted. Perhaps the Thumbnails box jogged a setting or
something.
| > Still, in mine, unchecking the Thumbnails box & clicking apply
removed
| > the Hidden attribute.
| >
| > Definitely, don't try this with C:\Windows\System or with
| > C:\Windows\Desktop. I am fairly certain one of those leads to an
| > exceedingly unpleasant experience!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi PCR (again)
| > |
| > | BTW, hope you found that link I posted to the McAfee SuperDAT
| > downloads
| > | useful. Oh, I should have mentioned that it asks you whether or
not
| > you have
| > | a PrimeSupport agreement - wouldn't worry about this too much,
just
| > click
| > | "Agree" and you're done.
| > |
| > | Regards
| > |
| > | Daniel
| > |
| > |

| > wasn't

| > Properties,
| > versa, as

| > always
| > attribute
| > | > > |
| > part in
| > | > > |

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:52:12 AM

Absolutely, let System\ be or undo it in DOS! Also, Some Desktop.ini
should not be deleted...

Acc. to "Windows 98 Secrets" (Livingston/Straub), p. 199, special
folders can also contain a Desktop.ini which "may have a reference to a
dynamic link library (dll) file that defines a specific set of behaviors
for the folder".

I'm glad it worked for him, is all, to use Thumbnail View for it! It
must have jogged a setting. Well, perhaps it added a fit/proper
Desktop.ini.

--

!