What card is this?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Not sure, but it is a standard PCI card. If you're thinking of using it as a replacement to your current card in your signature, don't. The difference isn't worth it due to this card's PCI bus.

Disclaimer: That is of course if your current card is an AGP and not a PCI card as well.

HourofDarkness

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
yea dont buy if unless u want to show off to ur friends how u got 2 screens hooked up and one run slower than the other... i did that with my tnt2 ^_^

this guy doesnt even know whether its working or not!

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Good God, worry not... it is not a 9800 Pro for sure... but what is it? PCI 7500 is likely a good call... the guy is saying he thinks it is a 9500 or 9700, and no PCI cards were made for those models.

There are always multiple computers I am working on or thinking about, so searching for cheap spare or extra parts is the name of my game a big portion of the time. I do hope someone does not buy that card thinking it is a 9700.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I kinda figured as much, but better safe then sorry.

When I scroogled the part number it just kept getting Radeon 64Mb video card. No series designation. That's why I didn't post my thoughts as to what it was. Looks like fishmahn had better luck than me.

Unfortunatley those are the woes of eBay. I doubt this guy is trying to sheister anybody. He probably really doesn't know what it is. Sometimes this can work in your advantage, most of the times it doesn't (looks like it, smells like it...it probably is).

Suppose I could've mentioned that it looks almost identical (aside from the PCB color) to a Radeon 7000 I have lying around, but looks don't always mean much around here.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Heh, I was surprised when I saw you said you'd scroogled it... So I googled it again, and its not there :?: :(

Oh well... it was referenced as a 7500 near the bottom of the first page on my earlier search... I hope I'm not imagining things LOL.

Mike.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
In all honesty, you weren't seeing things because some of the links on scroogle (damn the man) did say 7500 in them, but when I clicked on the link all I could find were cards just labeled Radeon 64 Mb video card and no series designation.

Rest assured your sanity safe. :lol:

Mine, however, is always questionable.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Its safe to say that I'm insane... :lol:

:? googled it again, and my missing links are back... :?:

here's the one that I took to proclaim it a 7500: www.axiontech.com

(Not that you were 'demanding' it or anything like that - just glad I could show proof of sorts.)

Mike.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
You can rest assured, that's not a card worth buying. It is important to note that never did ATi ever make a PCI version of its Radoen 9500 or 9700 series.

Also, my searches on the model numbers seem to have similar results; I'm not yet fully certain, but it does appear that it's actually based off of the original Radeon series, using the R100 chip. Note that the "ATi Radeon" was the name of the original card in the series, and it was later re-named to the "Radeon 7200."

Yes, they may note that the manual may mention the 9500/9700, but so did the manuals put in most Radeon cards sold, including the PCI 7000 I bought in 2002 for a PCI-only system.

I also note that there are some visual discrepancies that I notice in the image. Although the image quality is crap, I believe I see what appears to be a black-pained passive cooler, of a design which was used for Radeon 7-series cards. The 9500 and 9700 series all used larger active (w/fan) coolers, that were more rectangular, and had the fins angled flatter against the card. Also, I note that the memory chips have a pin array that is only used for pre-DDR2 memory; the 9500 and 9700 cards all used DDR2, which had all of the pins UNDERNEATH the chips, rather than at the sides, and hence the chips were smaller, and square, like on modern video cards, and on PC DDR2 RAM modules. Even simpler still, I notice only two RAM chips, which only recently would've been enough for 128MB, the least any Radeon 9500/9700 came with; the card clearly has either 64MB or even 32MB.

The only real clincher that, unfortunately, I cannot see, would be an image of that bar-code sticker on the card, by the RAM chips; if there's any confusion over the model of the card, that sticker has it on there.

So I think it's safe to say that it's not a Radeon 9500, let alone a 9700. (though physically, they look alike) It's almost certainly from the original Radeon series.

In case anyone was wondering on the "Radeon 9500/9700" moniker, as it happened, both use the same "R300" chip, just in various states of "disablement." The 9700pro was a 9700 at substantially higher clock speeds, the 9500pro was a 9700 with a 128-bit memory interface instead of a 256-bit one, and the 9500 was a 9500pro with 4 of the 8 pixel pipelines disabled. It was rather famous that for the most part, these were simply disabled through the BIOS, and a simple tweak could turn a 9500 into a 9700. There's also a hardware means as well, as illustrated in Cleeve's avatar, which is likely what some of you were thinking of.