Windows Security

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 19, 2005 12:53:03 PM

My opinion is this --- after my XP PRO. SP2 was hacked we need more security
in the software industry --- Fortunately, 98SE survived a hack from the
government of China that was almost an 18,000 hack from China's government
according to Zone Alarm Professional's tracking. The problem is many fold:

1. Hardware Routers can be interupted --- mine was with Cox Communications
broadband --- after the router was interupted the hacker(s) gained access to
the time and changed the password thus locking me out and destroying defense
line one. This was a wired hardware router. If the signal is interupted all
one must do is type -- admin and admin and the Cisco Systems (LinkSys -- $80
wired ethernet cat-5 router is bypassed and thus defense number 1 is down.

2. Next the hackers took advantage of the inherent weakness in the NT (New
Technology aka Not There) source code of Windows XP Service Pack 2. My
operating system had all ports locked down, Windows Messenger Disabled and
used SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware SE, Computer
Associates EZARMOR (the complete suite with a bi-directional software
firewall and an antivirus package) --- taking advantage of the buffer
underrun was fairly easy for a sophisticated hacker --- I could do it if I
was a bad person. I have weblinks from EEYE Digital Security and Chris
Quirke, MVP to prove my point about the lack of the secure foundation in XP
PROFESSIONAL Service Pack 2 and despite what Mr. Gary S. Terhune says about
XP PRO. SP2 being more secure he is simply mistaken and has fallen hook, line
and sinker for the Microsoft Line. Anyway, according to the history on
Microsoft -- Microsoft's software engineers called the NT source code the Not
There Source code because it did not rest on a solid foundation like the 9x
source code does. Microsoft has tried to save money by elimating the 9x
consumer line by not having cordless keyboards and not having cordless mice
for 98SE. Also, AFAIK, the latest version of Intellipoint driver for 98SE
disabled some abilities and they were the forward and backwards button. My
IBM PCJR which I still had when I grew up in New York City (Manhatten) had a
simple infared senser (I think) to use wireless technology and this was in
1982!!! Talk about the computer industry going backwards since the glory
days of the IBM (International Business Machine) It used 2 AA batteries in
the keyboard -- you just removed the battery cover and installed the battery.
Anyway, 98 Second Edition rests upon MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating
System) and some of you may remember the war between Microsoft and IBM in the
DOS arena (IBM DOS vs. Microsoft DOS). Much as Microsoft would like to
mislead people into thinking XP PRO. SP2 is the most secure operating system
out there -- this is a deception -- The NT source code has been released over
the Internet -- the 9x source code has not -- thus making the NT source code
-- vulnerable to attacks by the NT (New Technology) Source Code.
Anyway, Anthony needs to use David's computer so I will continue this debate
later.

http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/index.html

http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/20050316.htm...

http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/20050329.htm...

Notice how the second web-link attacks the weak XP SP2 while the third
web-link from my friends at eEye attacks all Windows Operating Systems.
Therefore the conclusion, must be drawn that Unix/Linux is more secure than
Windows because it is open and not closed source.

http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm

More about : windows security

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:37:15 PM

=?Utf-8?B?RGFu?= <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> [...]
> like to mislead people into thinking XP PRO. SP2 is the most secure
> operating system out there -- this is a deception -- The NT source code
> has been released over the Internet -- the 9x source code has not --
> thus making the NT source code -- vulnerable to attacks by the NT (New
> Technology) Source Code. Anyway, Anthony needs to use David's computer
> so I will continue this debate later.
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/index.html
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/20050316.htm...
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/20050329.htm...
>
> Notice how the second web-link attacks the weak XP SP2 while the third
> web-link from my friends at eEye attacks all Windows Operating Systems.
> Therefore the conclusion, must be drawn that Unix/Linux is more secure
> than Windows because it is open and not closed source.

Nothing in your post even discusses open vs closed source software so I
find it difficult to come to the conclusions you have stated. Also it
would appear the as many (if not more) vulnerabilities in open source
software:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB05-103.html
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:53:02 PM

> My opinion is this --- after my XP PRO. SP2 was hacked we need more
security
> in the software industry

I hope this will give you pause to reconsider your current position.

We don't need or WANT more Security band-aided onto existing products.
We need a new infrastructure. Some of us even WANT one.

New software running on new hardware, and I'm not talking about
the current vaporware abomination known as Longhorn,
which is so appetising that Microsoft is about to launch
a 3 YEAR LONG advertising campaign touting the benefits of....
WINDOWS XP !!!

Windows source code isn't "solid", period,
otherwise billions of dollars would not be poured into security efforts
around the clock around the globe .

You state that publishing NT source code begets attacks,
then you immediately contradict yourself by saying that
Unix/Linux source code being open inhibits attacks.

You need to scale your posts WAY BACK,
and concentrate on quality rather than quantity.

That means you need to understand what you are talking about.
Then and only then will you start to have ANY credibility,
much less the hard-earned and well deserved MVP-level credibility
that Gary has. Your criticism was ludicrous.

And lose the cloak-and-dagger stuff. Nobody's buying it.
Related resources
April 19, 2005 5:20:20 PM

> [...]
> over
> the Internet -- the 9x source code has not -- thus making the NT source
> code
> -- vulnerable to attacks by the NT (New Technology) Source Code.
> Anyway, Anthony needs to use David's computer so I will continue this
> debate
> later.
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/index.html
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/20050316.htm...
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/20050329.htm...
>
> Notice how the second web-link attacks the weak XP SP2 while the third
> web-link from my friends at eEye attacks all Windows Operating Systems.
> Therefore the conclusion, must be drawn that Unix/Linux is more secure
> than
> Windows because it is open and not closed source.

and mine is

" a device has yet to be made that could measure my indifference"
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:44:29 PM

Try posting your comments to this Security-specific newsgroup:

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Dan wrote:
> [...]
> NT
> source code has been released over the Internet -- the 9x source code has
> not -- thus making the NT source code -- vulnerable to attacks by the NT
> (New Technology) Source Code.
> Anyway, Anthony needs to use David's computer so I will continue this
> debate
> later.
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/index.html
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/20050316.htm...
>
> http://www.eeye.com/html/research/upcoming/20050329.htm...
>
> Notice how the second web-link attacks the weak XP SP2 while the third
> web-link from my friends at eEye attacks all Windows Operating Systems.
> Therefore the conclusion, must be drawn that Unix/Linux is more secure
> than
> Windows because it is open and not closed source.

April 19, 2005 8:25:31 PM

> 1. Hardware Routers can be interupted --- mine was with Cox
Communications
> broadband --- after the router was interupted the hacker(s) gained access
> the time and changed the password thus locking me out and destroying
defense
> line one. This was a wired hardware router. If the signal is interupted
all
> one must do is type -- admin and admin and the Cisco Systems (LinkSys --
$80
> wired ethernet cat-5 router is bypassed and thus defense number 1 is down.

So you didnt follow the router's install guide and set all security
passwords away from the factory settings.
No amount of programming can eradicate user stupidity
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 12:21:57 AM

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> That means you need to understand what you are talking about.
> Then and only then will you start to have ANY credibility,
> much less the hard-earned and well deserved MVP-level credibility
> that Gary has.
>
> And lose the cloak-and-dagger stuff. Nobody's buying it.

I don't think there is much to read in Dan's postings, it seems a case of "
I'll post this and see if I get someone to talk to", but I may be wrong.
April 21, 2005 12:55:01 AM

Thanks Hugh and you can believe what you like.

"Hugh Candlin" wrote:

> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > My opinion is this --- after my XP PRO. SP2 was hacked we need more
> security
> > in the software industry
>
> I hope this will give you pause to reconsider your current position.
>
> We don't need or WANT more Security band-aided onto existing products.
> We need a new infrastructure. Some of us even WANT one.
>
> New software running on new hardware, and I'm not talking about
> the current vaporware abomination known as Longhorn,
> which is so appetising that Microsoft is about to launch
> a 3 YEAR LONG advertising campaign touting the benefits of....
> WINDOWS XP !!!
>
> Windows source code isn't "solid", period,
> otherwise billions of dollars would not be poured into security efforts
> around the clock around the globe .
>
> You state that publishing NT source code begets attacks,
> then you immediately contradict yourself by saying that
> Unix/Linux source code being open inhibits attacks.
>
> You need to scale your posts WAY BACK,
> and concentrate on quality rather than quantity.
>
> That means you need to understand what you are talking about.
> Then and only then will you start to have ANY credibility,
> much less the hard-earned and well deserved MVP-level credibility
> that Gary has. Your criticism was ludicrous.
>
> And lose the cloak-and-dagger stuff. Nobody's buying it.

April 21, 2005 1:02:02 AM

Idiot, the router signal was interupted therefore defaulting to the admin and
admin and the attacker(s) worked so fast at changing the time and changing
the password that I could not get back in. I had a ten digit different
password already set --- I am not that stupid, Bob

The industry must have individual passwords for each hardware router sold
and they must all be differnet. Surely, you read the news and know about the
most recent hack of Ameritrade, and Bank of America, and Choicepoint, and
Boston College, and are you listening yet Bob. Anyway, no offense but I have
been programming since I was 7 on my IBM (International Business Computer) in
New York City and that was in 1982 so you can see I was born in 1975 the same
year of the A-10 -- my favorite plane -- warthog with gatling gun and cool
titanium alloy armor and other stuff -- the cool Raptor did a fly over and I
was there at Davis Monthan when it flew out from Nellis Air Force Base on
Arizona Days. But you still hate me I guess.

"AlmostBob" wrote:

> > 1. Hardware Routers can be interupted --- mine was with Cox
> Communications
> > broadband --- after the router was interupted the hacker(s) gained access
> > the time and changed the password thus locking me out and destroying
> defense
> > line one. This was a wired hardware router. If the signal is interupted
> all
> > one must do is type -- admin and admin and the Cisco Systems (LinkSys --
> $80
> > wired ethernet cat-5 router is bypassed and thus defense number 1 is down.
>
> So you didnt follow the router's install guide and set all security
> passwords away from the factory settings.
> No amount of programming can eradicate user stupidity

April 21, 2005 1:07:02 AM

Thanks Robear and at least you have some faith in me I hope and know what it
is like to have your social security card stolen on 23rd of March after your
home has been broken into -- and then the continual jamming of the 900 mhz.
cordless phone and the static on the 2.4 Ghz. phone and the inability to
contact the local police via the none emergency number and having to have to
use 911 and having my driver's license viewed and Passport viewed ---
basically the enemies got to me by pretending to be me while casheriing at
Target T-0211 Corporation in Tucson Arizona. I guess Gary S. Terhune still
doubts I work at Target and have worked there since August 1998 and am now a
systems specialist and going on 7 years in August. I still guess everyone
else dislikes me even after my hotmail account at dew1975muggle.com and my
Yahoo account was hacked. Someone from buddew56@yahoo.com sent me a Trojan
to the Yahoo account and I am getting numerous spam and dropped calls on my
Verizon Wireless cell phone -- 4400 B model that is switching from analog to
digital -- it is a tri-mode phone and dropping calls. <sigh>

!