System always "NOT RESPONDING"

My PC always not responding whenever I want to do the following:
1) Post a question to the Newsgroup/Microsoft. It will take a very long time
and hang.
2) Cannot go to "Restart in MOS-DOS mode.
3) Not responding to most program on the desktop,
4) Need to restart the PC several times before it can perform task.
5) Outlook express cannot send or receive email. Need to remove account and
then recreate account before it can receive/send email.
6) Unable to do Defragmenter or Scan disk.

Thank you.

Please help.
3 answers Last reply
More about system responding

    Read the two articles in my signature. Then read them again, then apply.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Francis Chew" <FrancisChew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My PC always not responding whenever I want to do the following:
    > 1) Post a question to the Newsgroup/Microsoft. It will take a very
    long time
    > and hang.
    > 2) Cannot go to "Restart in MOS-DOS mode.
    > 3) Not responding to most program on the desktop,
    > 4) Need to restart the PC several times before it can perform task.
    > 5) Outlook express cannot send or receive email. Need to remove
    account and
    > then recreate account before it can receive/send email.
    > 6) Unable to do Defragmenter or Scan disk.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Please help.

    (1) Perhaps try a DOS-based virus scan, which takes any possible
    infection of Windows out of the picture...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm - formal scanning
    www.f-prot.com - free DOS-based av
    www.nod32.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
    www.sophos.com - free DOS-based av evaluation

    (2) Investigate your Startup Group, per Terhune's post.

    (3)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.
    (When running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You
    must do it in "C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini", per cquirke's advice.)
    REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
    system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
    HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
    Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
    your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    > Read the two articles in my signature. Then read them again, then apply.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary, is the second article more important, or pertinent, than the first?

Microsoft Email Windows