Why is alg.exe process running?

September 13, 2004 7:31:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hello
I turned off Windows Firewall. I do not use Internet connection sharing. Why
is alg.exe process running?
OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:31:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
Double click: Application Layer Gateway Service |
Set to: Disabled | Apply | Click the Stop button | OK |
Close Services

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23$u7kVYmEHA.2096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Dmitriy Kopnichev <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> hunted and pecked:
> Hello
> I turned off Windows Firewall. I do not use Internet connection
> sharing. Why is alg.exe process running?
> OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 1:06:50 PM

Thank you
"Blane" <a-blclar@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dmitriy,
>
> Thank you for your post.
>
> There is always the potential that a malicious copy of the alg.exe has
> been
> installed by a spyware program. If the file is not in either
> c:\winnt\system32 or c:\windows\system32 then that copy is very suspect.
> Try renaming the file (if it is outside of c:\winnt\system32 or
> c:\windows\system32) and reboot. See if the process starts and you can
> still access the internet.
>
> I would recommend running a third party spyware tool to scan for spyware
> as
> well.
>
> Best regards,
> Blane Clark

> rights.
> You assume all risk for your use.
> (C) 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved
September 14, 2004 1:07:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thanks
> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
> Double click: Application Layer Gateway Service |
> Set to: Disabled | Apply | Click the Stop button | OK |
> Close Services
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:%23$u7kVYmEHA.2096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Dmitriy Kopnichev <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> hunted and pecked:
>> Hello
>> I turned off Windows Firewall. I do not use Internet connection
>> sharing. Why is alg.exe process running?
>> OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 1:20:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Application Layer Gateway Service turned to Manual at Windows Firewall
turning off. I think alg.exe will not start anymore.

!