view as Web Page

Hi,
for some reason I can not mark the "View - as Web Page" option. When I try
nothing happens.
In "Display Properties - Web" I marked "View my Active Desktop as web page",
and also in "Start - Settings - Active Desktop" I marked "View as Web Page".
Please help.
Thanks, AJS
10 answers Last reply
More about view page

    Do you use TweakUI?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > for some reason I can not mark the "View - as Web Page" option. When I
    try
    > nothing happens.
    > In "Display Properties - Web" I marked "View my Active Desktop as web
    page",
    > and also in "Start - Settings - Active Desktop" I marked "View as Web
    Page".
    > Please help.
    > Thanks, AJS

    Yes, I do. I have used it for a while.

    | Do you use TweakUI?
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    | > Hi,
    | > for some reason I can not mark the "View - as Web Page" option. When I
    | try
    | > nothing happens.
    | > In "Display Properties - Web" I marked "View my Active Desktop as web
    | page",
    | > and also in "Start - Settings - Active Desktop" I marked "View as Web
    | Page".
    | > Please help.
    | > Thanks, AJS

    I can't recall the exact term, but TUI has some items under the "IE4"
    tab that specifically do just what you're experiencing--they just aren't
    labeled and/or explained correctly. One or two of these settings, once
    done, can't always be easily undone.

    Which is why I stopped using TUI 6 years ago and disagree with just
    about everyone else in the world who says "Get TweakUI--it's a
    wondertool."

    As far as I'm concerned, TUI is just like all the other "wondertools" in
    the world--dangerous to the health of your system.

    Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out of my system. The answer to
    your troubles lies in the IE4 tab of TUI, and I wish you good luck in
    figuring it out. If you don't have any luck, try starting a new thread
    titled, "TweakUI screwed up my system!"

    Might get someone who knows how to repair it. But I wouldn't hold my
    breath.

    --

    > Which is why I stopped using TUI 6 years ago and disagree with just
    > about everyone else in the world who says "Get TweakUI--it's a
    > wondertool."

    I don't use it or have it on my systems for one simple reason.

    Common sense tells me that if it was a genuine article
    of value, with no undesirable side effects, then TWEAKUI
    and REGCLEAN would be integral parts of the OS,
    just like SYSEDIT, MSCONFIG, TASKMON, etc.

    On the other hand, they (MS) did see fit to include SFC,
    so perhaps my conclusion is debatable.........

    I have the same reservations about MS Solitaire,
    which is why I do not install the optional Games.
    Ditto for MSPaint.

    there is a setting under IE in TUI that is "allow active desktop to be
    turned off"

    or possibly "shell enhancements"

    >I can't recall the exact term, but TUI has some items under the "IE4"
    > tab that specifically do just what you're experiencing--they just aren't
    > labeled and/or explained correctly. One or two of these settings, once
    > done, can't always be easily undone.
    >
    > Which is why I stopped using TUI 6 years ago and disagree with just
    > about everyone else in the world who says "Get TweakUI--it's a
    > wondertool."
    >
    > As far as I'm concerned, TUI is just like all the other "wondertools" in
    > the world--dangerous to the health of your system.
    >
    > Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out of my system. The answer to
    > your troubles lies in the IE4 tab of TUI, and I wish you good luck in
    > figuring it out. If you don't have any luck, try starting a new thread
    > titled, "TweakUI screwed up my system!"
    >
    > Might get someone who knows how to repair it. But I wouldn't hold my
    > breath.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, I do. I have used it for a while.
    >>

    >> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> | Do you use TweakUI?
    >> |
    >> | --
    >> | Gary S. Terhune
    >> | MS MVP Shell/User
    >> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >> |
    >> | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    > When I
    >> | try
    > web
    >> | page",
    > Web
    >> | Page".

    That's an interesting take, Hugh. Don't believe I ever thought of it
    that way. I agree wholeheartedly in re SFC, but I'm not aware of any
    serious drawbacks to Paint or Sol.exe. I've found Paint to be useful on
    one or two occasions, and IIRC, Solitaire is actually a diagnostic tool,
    <g>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    > Common sense tells me that if it was a genuine article
    > of value, with no undesirable side effects, then TWEAKUI
    > and REGCLEAN would be integral parts of the OS,
    > just like SYSEDIT, MSCONFIG, TASKMON, etc.
    >
    > On the other hand, they (MS) did see fit to include SFC,
    > so perhaps my conclusion is debatable.........
    >
    > I have the same reservations about MS Solitaire,
    > which is why I do not install the optional Games.
    > Ditto for MSPaint.

    Thanks, can I just go ahead and delete TUI or do I have to fix the problem
    first and then uninstall?

    | I can't recall the exact term, but TUI has some items under the "IE4"
    | tab that specifically do just what you're experiencing--they just aren't
    | labeled and/or explained correctly. One or two of these settings, once
    | done, can't always be easily undone.
    |
    | Which is why I stopped using TUI 6 years ago and disagree with just
    | about everyone else in the world who says "Get TweakUI--it's a
    | wondertool."
    |
    | As far as I'm concerned, TUI is just like all the other "wondertools" in
    | the world--dangerous to the health of your system.
    |
    | Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out of my system. The answer to
    | your troubles lies in the IE4 tab of TUI, and I wish you good luck in
    | figuring it out. If you don't have any luck, try starting a new thread
    | titled, "TweakUI screwed up my system!"
    |
    | Might get someone who knows how to repair it. But I wouldn't hold my
    | breath.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    | > Yes, I do. I have used it for a while.
    | >

    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | Do you use TweakUI?
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS MVP Shell/User
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | > |
    | > | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    | When I
    | > | try
    | web
    | > | page",
    | Web
    | > | Page".

    | > |

    You have to fix the problem, first. If you can. The whole reason I
    stopped using and recommending TUI is because of the specific issue
    you've run into. What caused me to change opinion was not that you
    *could* run into issues like this (there are many such issues where
    using TUI has unexpected results,) it was because once you use TUI in
    this specific manner, your chances of recovering the lost functionality
    are slim. In most cases, IIRC, the only thing that got them back was a
    reinstallation of Windows itself. A "Clean" installation.

    That's why I said: If changing the settings back to default in TUI
    doesn't fix the problem (after restarting), start a new thread that has
    this subject: "TweakUI screwed up my machine!"

    HOWEVER:

    1. *After* undoing whatever you did in TUI, you might try one or both of
    these fixes:
    http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#thumb
    http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#jpeg

    2. Try the suggestions at http://aumha.org/win4/a/jpggif.htm

    3. Rick Chauvin, this morning, mentions in another thread that there's a
    command to run in IE5.x that will implement Active Desktop. Normally,
    IE5.x doesn't implement AD. It leaves that to the underlying IE4 that
    was "built into" Win98. You might try it, though I can't recommend it,
    simply because I've never tried it, nor do I know of anyone (besides
    Rick) who has. One of those "Use at your own risk" things. Run this
    command from a DOS box or the Run box:

    ie5setup.exe /c:"ie5wzd /e:IE4Shell_WIN /I:Y"

    *Must* be exactly as written, including spaces (before /c and /e), the
    same capitalization, and quotation marks.

    Remember, though, that before doing any of the above, you must reset TUI
    settings to "normal" and restart the system.

    --

    > Thanks, can I just go ahead and delete TUI or do I have to fix the
    problem
    > first and then uninstall?

    > | I can't recall the exact term, but TUI has some items under the
    "IE4"
    > | tab that specifically do just what you're experiencing--they just
    aren't
    > | labeled and/or explained correctly. One or two of these settings,
    once
    > | done, can't always be easily undone.
    > |
    > | Which is why I stopped using TUI 6 years ago and disagree with just
    > | about everyone else in the world who says "Get TweakUI--it's a
    > | wondertool."
    > |
    > | As far as I'm concerned, TUI is just like all the other
    "wondertools" in
    > | the world--dangerous to the health of your system.
    > |
    > | Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out of my system. The
    answer to
    > | your troubles lies in the IE4 tab of TUI, and I wish you good luck
    in
    > | figuring it out. If you don't have any luck, try starting a new
    thread
    > | titled, "TweakUI screwed up my system!"
    > |
    > | Might get someone who knows how to repair it. But I wouldn't hold my
    > | breath.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > |
    > | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    > | > Yes, I do. I have used it for a while.
    > | >

    > | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | When I
    > | web
    > | Web
    > | > | >

    > | > |

    I am using IE 6, do I just replace the command from 5 to 6?

    | You have to fix the problem, first. If you can. The whole reason I
    | stopped using and recommending TUI is because of the specific issue
    | you've run into. What caused me to change opinion was not that you
    | *could* run into issues like this (there are many such issues where
    | using TUI has unexpected results,) it was because once you use TUI in
    | this specific manner, your chances of recovering the lost functionality
    | are slim. In most cases, IIRC, the only thing that got them back was a
    | reinstallation of Windows itself. A "Clean" installation.
    |
    | That's why I said: If changing the settings back to default in TUI
    | doesn't fix the problem (after restarting), start a new thread that has
    | this subject: "TweakUI screwed up my machine!"
    |
    | HOWEVER:
    |
    | 1. *After* undoing whatever you did in TUI, you might try one or both of
    | these fixes:
    | http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#thumb
    | http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#jpeg
    |
    | 2. Try the suggestions at http://aumha.org/win4/a/jpggif.htm
    |
    | 3. Rick Chauvin, this morning, mentions in another thread that there's a
    | command to run in IE5.x that will implement Active Desktop. Normally,
    | IE5.x doesn't implement AD. It leaves that to the underlying IE4 that
    | was "built into" Win98. You might try it, though I can't recommend it,
    | simply because I've never tried it, nor do I know of anyone (besides
    | Rick) who has. One of those "Use at your own risk" things. Run this
    | command from a DOS box or the Run box:
    |
    | ie5setup.exe /c:"ie5wzd /e:IE4Shell_WIN /I:Y"
    |
    | *Must* be exactly as written, including spaces (before /c and /e), the
    | same capitalization, and quotation marks.
    |
    | Remember, though, that before doing any of the above, you must reset TUI
    | settings to "normal" and restart the system.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    | > Thanks, can I just go ahead and delete TUI or do I have to fix the
    | problem
    | > first and then uninstall?
    | >

    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | I can't recall the exact term, but TUI has some items under the
    | "IE4"
    | > | tab that specifically do just what you're experiencing--they just
    | aren't
    | > | labeled and/or explained correctly. One or two of these settings,
    | once
    | > | done, can't always be easily undone.
    | > |
    | > | Which is why I stopped using TUI 6 years ago and disagree with just
    | > | about everyone else in the world who says "Get TweakUI--it's a
    | > | wondertool."
    | > |
    | > | As far as I'm concerned, TUI is just like all the other
    | "wondertools" in
    | > | the world--dangerous to the health of your system.
    | > |
    | > | Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out of my system. The
    | answer to
    | > | your troubles lies in the IE4 tab of TUI, and I wish you good luck
    | in
    | > | figuring it out. If you don't have any luck, try starting a new
    | thread
    | > | titled, "TweakUI screwed up my system!"
    | > |
    | > | Might get someone who knows how to repair it. But I wouldn't hold my
    | > | breath.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS MVP Shell/User
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | > |
    | > | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message

    | > | > |
    | option.
    | > | When I
    | as
    | > | web
    | as
    | > | Web

    | > | > |

    | > |

    Well, you can try. Not guaranteeing anything.

    --

    > I am using IE 6, do I just replace the command from 5 to 6?

Desktops Microsoft Windows Displays