Standby mode - how do I get rid of it?

This mode is set up on an old Win98 computer we are trying to clean up. We
thought we had re-set it to not go into Standby, but it's still doing it.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Barb
5 answers Last reply
More about standby mode

    Try this Barb, right Click on the Desktop and chose properties and sellect
    Screen Saver and in the same window Click the Settings Button under the
    Energy saving features of monitor and from there set the Value in the drop
    down List into Never in the section of System Standby, while you are there
    check the turn off the monitor and set the right time for it if n't set
    already.
    I hope it will help.
    nass

    "Barb" wrote:

    > This mode is set up on an old Win98 computer we are trying to clean up. We
    > thought we had re-set it to not go into Standby, but it's still doing it.
    > Any advice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Barb

    Check BIOS for Standby settings.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > This mode is set up on an old Win98 computer we are trying to clean
    up. We
    > thought we had re-set it to not go into Standby, but it's still doing
    it.
    > Any advice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Barb

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have tried the options mentioned
    with no luck . . . except for yours, Gary, about the BIOS. I hope this
    multi-layered cry for help is not "against the rules" of newsgroups.

    This computer is a Compaq Presario 5050 Intel Celeron 333, with 128MB RAM.
    The first thing we did was run a full virus scan . . . four Trojan Dialers
    (?) were found, along with a host of spyware and adware. These were all
    cleaned or deleted. Scans now come up negative.

    We are not knowledgeable enough yet to know how to get into the BIOS of a
    computer that does not show the black and white startup screens . . . only
    the big red COMPAQ screen, have tried pressing Ctrl, F2, and other possible
    keys while booting up with no luck. We have run Compaq's "diagnostic tests"
    and everything came out 100% passed.

    We are unable to get the modem to work to get online(which was the original
    problem), and when checking the ports, it shows only COM1 and LPT1, no COM2
    where the modem is supposed to be. Is this possibly another BIOS problem?

    The modem is a Rockwell HCF 56K DAta Fax PCI modem. Have removed, then
    reinstalled three times. During installation it requests the Win95 (the
    computer is running Win98 - ??) Installation CD, then says that file
    "b0bc120.cat" cannot be found on the CD. We downloaded .zip file
    "Cpq_56k.zip" from modem-drivers.com, which includes that .cat file,
    however, when trying to install the software, it comes up with "Cannot find
    file "_setup.dll".

    We certainly did not expect to come upon a brick wall. Any help you can
    give is much appreciated and we sincerely thank you.

    "We" is:
    Barb and Ray

    > Back again. We did everything outlined in your last message, except
    > removing the Wave Device for Modem since there was no item in the
    Sound
    > section named that. We did review the list of devices, and listed the
    > duplicates. When we restarted, the duplicates were gone.

    You won't see any duplicates in Device Manager in Normal Mode. Normal
    Mode DM only shows the drivers that were loaded. Safe Mode DM shows all
    drivers that are installed. For various reasons, the same device can get
    installed twice for the same device, but each of the installations will
    have a slightly different configuration. The problem with this is that
    many devices are installed "onto" other devices (hard drives are
    installed "onto" IDE Controllers, Printers are installed "onto" LPT
    ports, etc. If the wrong parent device drivers and configurations are
    loaded, then the child device that depends on it may not operate
    properly. There are some devices that will be duplicated simply because
    there really are two or more of the same device installed. The idea is
    to determine which devices are duplicated when they shouldn't be, and
    then remove *all* copies of thaqt instalaltion, plus any child devices
    that depend on them, then restart and let Windows reinstall. So, it
    might help us diagnose the issue if you tell use just which devices are
    duplicated in Safe Mode.

    > Went to BIOS . . . nothing regarding COM ports was visible in any of
    the
    > screens (very sketchy info), exited and reinserted the modem in a
    different
    > slot, restarted, and installed all the files for the drivers, we hope.
    Using teh make/model information, below, here is teh page that describes
    BIOS settings.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=33681&os=20&y=0&x=1&dlc=en&product=92982&docname=bph07110#N1013D

    If that link causes problems, try this TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/9o4bg

    You want to go into the "Advanced" menu, then the "PCI Configuration"
    sub-menu, and finally, into the I/O Device Configuration sub-menu of
    "PCI Configuration." I can't be certain, but it looks as if Compaq calls
    them "Serial Port A" and "Serial Port B" instead of the usual Com1 and
    COM2. On the other hand, they may actually be referring to the serial
    connectors, not to COM ports. I'd make sure that both are enabled.

    > The make/model is Compaq Presario 5050, Intel Celeron 333, with 128MB
    RAM.
    > We don't know if the computer was originally Win95, then upgraded to
    Win98.
    > Could be. The modem is a Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI.

    Considering the processor speed you report, I will assume that the
    machine came with Windows 98 pre-installed. Compaq issues drivers and
    other downloads as "SoftPaqs." Here is the download page for the
    Rockwell HCF modem. Once we get your other issues straightened out, this
    is what you'll want to use to install the modem.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?x=1&dlc=en&lc=en&os=20&product=92982&lang=en&y=0&cc=us&softwareitem=33681

    If that link doesn't work for you, try this TinyURL:
    http://tinyurl.com/bnehv

    > Our big problem now is we can't get out of Safe Mode! We have tried
    > everything . . . restarting (half a dozen times or so), going back
    into
    > MSCONFIG and reversing the checkmark, and checking to see if there is
    any
    > other place that might have something to do with it.

    The checkmark in MSCONFIG only enables or disables the Startup Menu,
    where you can choose different startup modes. It does not force one mode
    or the other. Are you saying that when you choose Normal Mode in teh
    Startup menu, it still forces you into Safe Mode? Safe Mode usually has
    very clear indicators that you are in Safe Mode. Four little "Safe Mode"
    messages at the four cornerrs of the screen. And, as previously
    mentioned, it also shows things in Device Manager that you don't see in
    Normal Mode. One sure givaway is that in Device Manager, under the
    System category, you'll see several IRQ Holders. Many of these are
    normal, and you won't see them in Normal Mode.

    If you determine that you're actually booting into Normal Mode, but the
    screen has "Safe Mode resolution", then the problem is that you need to
    readjust Resoplution settings in Display Settings. If you really are
    being forced into Safe Mode, regardless of having chosen Normal Mode, do
    you get any special messages, like, "Warning: Windows did not finish
    a minimal set of drivers."? If so, see here:
    "Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode Even After Successful
    Start"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;143283

    If not, try this article:
    "The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306615

    Other articles of interest:
    ""'Show Small Icons in Start Menu' Setting Changes If You Start Your
    Computer in Safe Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267499

    > Don't know if the modem would work on Safe Mode, but tried anyway and
    when
    > trying to connect we still get the error message "Cannot dial".

    No, the modem won't work in Safe Mode.

    > If anyone has a magic hint, tip or trick, we would welcome it . . .
    right
    > now we are frustrated!

    OK, I've given you some things to work with. See how it goes, and be
    sure to get back to us. Even if everything gets fixed and you don't need
    us anymore, it's nice to get feedback regarding what solutions worked.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Regarding devices . . . your explanation of configuration was complicated
    for us to understand, but hopefully, that's OK. We can tell you which
    devices are duplicated in Safe Mode . . . as follows:

    Monitors:
    Plug & Play Monitor - 2
    Sound, Video, etc:
    Gameport Joystick - 2
    MS Streaming Tee/Sink-to-sink Converter - 2
    System Devices:
    Direct memory access controller - 3
    IRQ Holder for PCI Steering - 4
    Motherboard Resources - 6
    Numeric data processor - 3
    PCI Bus - 3
    Programmable Interrupt controller - 3
    System board extension for PNP BIOS - 3
    System CMOS/realtime clock - 3
    System speaker - 3
    System timer - 3

    Regarding BIOS . . . the BIOS settings outlined at the HP/Compaq website
    simulates nothing like what is on this Compaq computer. Whereas the website
    is quite detailed (like most BIOS/CMOS setups we have seen), this one is
    very skimpy. Don't see a thing about Ports, Com or Serial. The info can be
    copied in a message if you wish. Is it possible this needs a BIOS Update or
    Upgrade? We have never had to do one.

    Regarding Safe Mode . . . you were right, it was determined that the
    resolution was the problem, although we had tried to change it several times
    within Safe Mode and it kept popping back to 16 color. Don't know what that
    was all about, but after several hours, we now have a screen that looks
    normal.

    Regarding Modem . . . still not working, after this week-end (babysitting),
    we will be able to get this machine going.

    We are learning more each day. Thank you again, so very much for your
    kindness, knowledge, and especially patience.

    Barb and Ray

Computers Microsoft Windows