Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Standby mode - how do I get rid of it?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 8:57:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

This mode is set up on an old Win98 computer we are trying to clean up. We
thought we had re-set it to not go into Standby, but it's still doing it.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Barb

More about : standby mode rid

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:13:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Try this Barb, right Click on the Desktop and chose properties and sellect
Screen Saver and in the same window Click the Settings Button under the
Energy saving features of monitor and from there set the Value in the drop
down List into Never in the section of System Standby, while you are there
check the turn off the monitor and set the right time for it if n't set
already.
I hope it will help.
nass

"Barb" wrote:

> This mode is set up on an old Win98 computer we are trying to clean up. We
> thought we had re-set it to not go into Standby, but it's still doing it.
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Barb
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:26:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Check BIOS for Standby settings.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:xil9e.1126$zX7.770@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> This mode is set up on an old Win98 computer we are trying to clean
up. We
> thought we had re-set it to not go into Standby, but it's still doing
it.
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Barb
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:25:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have tried the options mentioned
with no luck . . . except for yours, Gary, about the BIOS. I hope this
multi-layered cry for help is not "against the rules" of newsgroups.

This computer is a Compaq Presario 5050 Intel Celeron 333, with 128MB RAM.
The first thing we did was run a full virus scan . . . four Trojan Dialers
(?) were found, along with a host of spyware and adware. These were all
cleaned or deleted. Scans now come up negative.

We are not knowledgeable enough yet to know how to get into the BIOS of a
computer that does not show the black and white startup screens . . . only
the big red COMPAQ screen, have tried pressing Ctrl, F2, and other possible
keys while booting up with no luck. We have run Compaq's "diagnostic tests"
and everything came out 100% passed.

We are unable to get the modem to work to get online(which was the original
problem), and when checking the ports, it shows only COM1 and LPT1, no COM2
where the modem is supposed to be. Is this possibly another BIOS problem?

The modem is a Rockwell HCF 56K DAta Fax PCI modem. Have removed, then
reinstalled three times. During installation it requests the Win95 (the
computer is running Win98 - ??) Installation CD, then says that file
"b0bc120.cat" cannot be found on the CD. We downloaded .zip file
"Cpq_56k.zip" from modem-drivers.com, which includes that .cat file,
however, when trying to install the software, it comes up with "Cannot find
file "_setup.dll".

We certainly did not expect to come upon a brick wall. Any help you can
give is much appreciated and we sincerely thank you.

"We" is:
Barb and Ray





"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eQCgR4cRFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Check BIOS for Standby settings.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>
> "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:xil9e.1126$zX7.770@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>> This mode is set up on an old Win98 computer we are trying to clean
> up. We
>> thought we had re-set it to not go into Standby, but it's still doing
> it.
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Barb
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:27:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:rCV9e.1713$Xb4.1293@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Back again. We did everything outlined in your last message, except
> removing the Wave Device for Modem since there was no item in the
Sound
> section named that. We did review the list of devices, and listed the
> duplicates. When we restarted, the duplicates were gone.

You won't see any duplicates in Device Manager in Normal Mode. Normal
Mode DM only shows the drivers that were loaded. Safe Mode DM shows all
drivers that are installed. For various reasons, the same device can get
installed twice for the same device, but each of the installations will
have a slightly different configuration. The problem with this is that
many devices are installed "onto" other devices (hard drives are
installed "onto" IDE Controllers, Printers are installed "onto" LPT
ports, etc. If the wrong parent device drivers and configurations are
loaded, then the child device that depends on it may not operate
properly. There are some devices that will be duplicated simply because
there really are two or more of the same device installed. The idea is
to determine which devices are duplicated when they shouldn't be, and
then remove *all* copies of thaqt instalaltion, plus any child devices
that depend on them, then restart and let Windows reinstall. So, it
might help us diagnose the issue if you tell use just which devices are
duplicated in Safe Mode.

> Went to BIOS . . . nothing regarding COM ports was visible in any of
the
> screens (very sketchy info), exited and reinserted the modem in a
different
> slot, restarted, and installed all the files for the drivers, we hope.
Using teh make/model information, below, here is teh page that describes
BIOS settings.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=...

If that link causes problems, try this TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/9o4bg

You want to go into the "Advanced" menu, then the "PCI Configuration"
sub-menu, and finally, into the I/O Device Configuration sub-menu of
"PCI Configuration." I can't be certain, but it looks as if Compaq calls
them "Serial Port A" and "Serial Port B" instead of the usual Com1 and
COM2. On the other hand, they may actually be referring to the serial
connectors, not to COM ports. I'd make sure that both are enabled.

> The make/model is Compaq Presario 5050, Intel Celeron 333, with 128MB
RAM.
> We don't know if the computer was originally Win95, then upgraded to
Win98.
> Could be. The modem is a Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI.

Considering the processor speed you report, I will assume that the
machine came with Windows 98 pre-installed. Compaq issues drivers and
other downloads as "SoftPaqs." Here is the download page for the
Rockwell HCF modem. Once we get your other issues straightened out, this
is what you'll want to use to install the modem.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde...

If that link doesn't work for you, try this TinyURL:
http://tinyurl.com/bnehv

> Our big problem now is we can't get out of Safe Mode! We have tried
> everything . . . restarting (half a dozen times or so), going back
into
> MSCONFIG and reversing the checkmark, and checking to see if there is
any
> other place that might have something to do with it.

The checkmark in MSCONFIG only enables or disables the Startup Menu,
where you can choose different startup modes. It does not force one mode
or the other. Are you saying that when you choose Normal Mode in teh
Startup menu, it still forces you into Safe Mode? Safe Mode usually has
very clear indicators that you are in Safe Mode. Four little "Safe Mode"
messages at the four cornerrs of the screen. And, as previously
mentioned, it also shows things in Device Manager that you don't see in
Normal Mode. One sure givaway is that in Device Manager, under the
System category, you'll see several IRQ Holders. Many of these are
normal, and you won't see them in Normal Mode.

If you determine that you're actually booting into Normal Mode, but the
screen has "Safe Mode resolution", then the problem is that you need to
readjust Resoplution settings in Display Settings. If you really are
being forced into Safe Mode, regardless of having chosen Normal Mode, do
you get any special messages, like, "Warning: Windows did not finish
loading on the previous attempt. Choose Safe mode, to start Windows with
a minimal set of drivers."? If so, see here:
"Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode Even After Successful
Start"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;143283

If not, try this article:
"The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306615

Other articles of interest:
""'Show Small Icons in Start Menu' Setting Changes If You Start Your
Computer in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267499

> Don't know if the modem would work on Safe Mode, but tried anyway and
when
> trying to connect we still get the error message "Cannot dial".

No, the modem won't work in Safe Mode.

>
> If anyone has a magic hint, tip or trick, we would welcome it . . .
right
> now we are frustrated!

OK, I've given you some things to work with. See how it goes, and be
sure to get back to us. Even if everything gets fixed and you don't need
us anymore, it's nice to get feedback regarding what solutions worked.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:36:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Regarding devices . . . your explanation of configuration was complicated
for us to understand, but hopefully, that's OK. We can tell you which
devices are duplicated in Safe Mode . . . as follows:

Monitors:
Plug & Play Monitor - 2
Sound, Video, etc:
Gameport Joystick - 2
MS Streaming Tee/Sink-to-sink Converter - 2
System Devices:
Direct memory access controller - 3
IRQ Holder for PCI Steering - 4
Motherboard Resources - 6
Numeric data processor - 3
PCI Bus - 3
Programmable Interrupt controller - 3
System board extension for PNP BIOS - 3
System CMOS/realtime clock - 3
System speaker - 3
System timer - 3

Regarding BIOS . . . the BIOS settings outlined at the HP/Compaq website
simulates nothing like what is on this Compaq computer. Whereas the website
is quite detailed (like most BIOS/CMOS setups we have seen), this one is
very skimpy. Don't see a thing about Ports, Com or Serial. The info can be
copied in a message if you wish. Is it possible this needs a BIOS Update or
Upgrade? We have never had to do one.

Regarding Safe Mode . . . you were right, it was determined that the
resolution was the problem, although we had tried to change it several times
within Safe Mode and it kept popping back to 16 color. Don't know what that
was all about, but after several hours, we now have a screen that looks
normal.

Regarding Modem . . . still not working, after this week-end (babysitting),
we will be able to get this machine going.

We are learning more each day. Thank you again, so very much for your
kindness, knowledge, and especially patience.

Barb and Ray




"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eotNymsRFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:rCV9e.1713$Xb4.1293@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>> Back again. We did everything outlined in your last message, except
>> removing the Wave Device for Modem since there was no item in the
> Sound
>> section named that. We did review the list of devices, and listed the
>> duplicates. When we restarted, the duplicates were gone.
>
> You won't see any duplicates in Device Manager in Normal Mode. Normal
> Mode DM only shows the drivers that were loaded. Safe Mode DM shows all
> drivers that are installed. For various reasons, the same device can get
> installed twice for the same device, but each of the installations will
> have a slightly different configuration. The problem with this is that
> many devices are installed "onto" other devices (hard drives are
> installed "onto" IDE Controllers, Printers are installed "onto" LPT
> ports, etc. If the wrong parent device drivers and configurations are
> loaded, then the child device that depends on it may not operate
> properly. There are some devices that will be duplicated simply because
> there really are two or more of the same device installed. The idea is
> to determine which devices are duplicated when they shouldn't be, and
> then remove *all* copies of thaqt instalaltion, plus any child devices
> that depend on them, then restart and let Windows reinstall. So, it
> might help us diagnose the issue if you tell use just which devices are
> duplicated in Safe Mode.
>
>> Went to BIOS . . . nothing regarding COM ports was visible in any of
> the
>> screens (very sketchy info), exited and reinserted the modem in a
> different
>> slot, restarted, and installed all the files for the drivers, we hope.
> Using teh make/model information, below, here is teh page that describes
> BIOS settings.
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=...
>
> If that link causes problems, try this TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/9o4bg
>
> You want to go into the "Advanced" menu, then the "PCI Configuration"
> sub-menu, and finally, into the I/O Device Configuration sub-menu of
> "PCI Configuration." I can't be certain, but it looks as if Compaq calls
> them "Serial Port A" and "Serial Port B" instead of the usual Com1 and
> COM2. On the other hand, they may actually be referring to the serial
> connectors, not to COM ports. I'd make sure that both are enabled.
>
>> The make/model is Compaq Presario 5050, Intel Celeron 333, with 128MB
> RAM.
>> We don't know if the computer was originally Win95, then upgraded to
> Win98.
>> Could be. The modem is a Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI.
>
> Considering the processor speed you report, I will assume that the
> machine came with Windows 98 pre-installed. Compaq issues drivers and
> other downloads as "SoftPaqs." Here is the download page for the
> Rockwell HCF modem. Once we get your other issues straightened out, this
> is what you'll want to use to install the modem.
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde...
>
> If that link doesn't work for you, try this TinyURL:
> http://tinyurl.com/bnehv
>
>> Our big problem now is we can't get out of Safe Mode! We have tried
>> everything . . . restarting (half a dozen times or so), going back
> into
>> MSCONFIG and reversing the checkmark, and checking to see if there is
> any
>> other place that might have something to do with it.
>
> The checkmark in MSCONFIG only enables or disables the Startup Menu,
> where you can choose different startup modes. It does not force one mode
> or the other. Are you saying that when you choose Normal Mode in teh
> Startup menu, it still forces you into Safe Mode? Safe Mode usually has
> very clear indicators that you are in Safe Mode. Four little "Safe Mode"
> messages at the four cornerrs of the screen. And, as previously
> mentioned, it also shows things in Device Manager that you don't see in
> Normal Mode. One sure givaway is that in Device Manager, under the
> System category, you'll see several IRQ Holders. Many of these are
> normal, and you won't see them in Normal Mode.
>
> If you determine that you're actually booting into Normal Mode, but the
> screen has "Safe Mode resolution", then the problem is that you need to
> readjust Resoplution settings in Display Settings. If you really are
> being forced into Safe Mode, regardless of having chosen Normal Mode, do
> you get any special messages, like, "Warning: Windows did not finish
> loading on the previous attempt. Choose Safe mode, to start Windows with
> a minimal set of drivers."? If so, see here:
> "Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode Even After Successful
> Start"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;143283
>
> If not, try this article:
> "The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306615
>
> Other articles of interest:
> ""'Show Small Icons in Start Menu' Setting Changes If You Start Your
> Computer in Safe Mode
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267499
>
>> Don't know if the modem would work on Safe Mode, but tried anyway and
> when
>> trying to connect we still get the error message "Cannot dial".
>
> No, the modem won't work in Safe Mode.
>
>>
>> If anyone has a magic hint, tip or trick, we would welcome it . . .
> right
>> now we are frustrated!
>
> OK, I've given you some things to work with. See how it goes, and be
> sure to get back to us. Even if everything gets fixed and you don't need
> us anymore, it's nice to get feedback regarding what solutions worked.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>
>
!