GTek curiousity

Hi all,
No big deal, just curious. Get this message when scandisk is run [when I check (BOLT) the 'invalid file names option] about "can't open in MS-DOS/file length name errors/ blah blah" I always choose to "ignore this error and continue"
The whole G Tek bundle of folders within folders was created when I updated a printer driver a couple of years ago...(Don't feel the need to update if it's working fine) I know it's not an error as such, and can avoid seeing it in the log by unchecking the option, but still know it's there! Why is the folder structure formed like this for some applications (macromedia flash comes to mind) if windows-or is it DOS-can't handle it?
Oh yair, deep within GTek is a config folder containing 1.21 Mb of files with .ucl file extension all of no more that 7 and 8 kb size. This GTek bundle of folders is in both Windows/Application data and Windows/AllUsers/Application data.
Just interested is all, the printer works fine.
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
--

Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz

    I don't know why. MS should have fixed True DOS to be able to handle
    long directories, just as they fixed Windows DOS (in a box). I am
    miffed, too, about the two folders of Macromedia like that. Finally, I
    had Scandisk "fix" it, which apparently meant to move folders/files up
    higher in the tree-- BUT Macromedia undid the "fix" & left a bigger
    mess! Ignore is all one can do, I guess, if one wants to keep
    Macromedia.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Thanks PCR,
    So, all I shall do is ignore it then!
    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:#eJzLgdRFHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > I don't know why. MS should have fixed True DOS to be able to handle
    > long directories, just as they fixed Windows DOS (in a box). I am
    > miffed, too, about the two folders of Macromedia like that. Finally, I
    > had Scandisk "fix" it, which apparently meant to move folders/files up
    > higher in the tree-- BUT Macromedia undid the "fix" & left a bigger
    > mess! Ignore is all one can do, I guess, if one wants to keep
    > Macromedia.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > No big deal, just curious. Get this message when scandisk is run [when
    > I check (BOLT) the 'invalid file names option] about "can't open in
    > MS-DOS/file length name errors/ blah blah" I always choose to "ignore
    > this error and continue"
    > The whole G Tek bundle of folders within folders was created when I
    > updated a printer driver a couple of years ago...(Don't feel the need to
    > update if it's working fine) I know it's not an error as such, and can
    > avoid seeing it in the log by unchecking the option, but still know it's
    > there! Why is the folder structure formed like this for some
    > applications (macromedia flash comes to mind) if windows-or is it
    > DOS-can't handle it?
    > Oh yair, deep within GTek is a config folder containing 1.21 Mb of files
    > with .ucl file extension all of no more that 7 and 8 kb size. This GTek
    > bundle of folders is in both Windows/Application data and
    > Windows/AllUsers/Application data.
    > Just interested is all, the printer works fine.
    > --
    > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > --
    >
    > Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
    > Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz
    > RAM: 64MB
    > Video Memory: 8MB (VooDoo 3 2000)
    > Hard Disk: 20GB
    > Operating System: Windows '98 SE
    > OE v 5.50.4807.1700
    > IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
    > can&pain blocked, please don't quote

    Macromedia, yea. G Tek, I'm not sure. I doubt it would re-install itself
    as Macromedia does, doubling the mess. BUT, if you shorten directory
    names, you risk a reference to them-- in a shortcut, the Registry, or
    elsewhere-- will no longer be able to find a file inside.

    --
    Thanks PCR,
    So, all I shall do is ignore it then!
    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > I don't know why. MS should have fixed True DOS to be able to handle
    > long directories, just as they fixed Windows DOS (in a box). I am
    > miffed, too, about the two folders of Macromedia like that. Finally, I
    > had Scandisk "fix" it, which apparently meant to move folders/files up
    > higher in the tree-- BUT Macromedia undid the "fix" & left a bigger
    > mess! Ignore is all one can do, I guess, if one wants to keep
    > Macromedia.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > No big deal, just curious. Get this message when scandisk is run
    [when
    > I check (BOLT) the 'invalid file names option] about "can't open in
    > MS-DOS/file length name errors/ blah blah" I always choose to "ignore
    > this error and continue"
    > The whole G Tek bundle of folders within folders was created when I
    > updated a printer driver a couple of years ago...(Don't feel the need
    > update if it's working fine) I know it's not an error as such, and
    can
    > avoid seeing it in the log by unchecking the option, but still know
    it's
    > there! Why is the folder structure formed like this for some
    > applications (macromedia flash comes to mind) if windows-or is it
    > DOS-can't handle it?
    > Oh yair, deep within GTek is a config folder containing 1.21 Mb of
    files
    > with .ucl file extension all of no more that 7 and 8 kb size. This
    GTek
    > bundle of folders is in both Windows/Application data and
    > Windows/AllUsers/Application data.
    > Just interested is all, the printer works fine.
    > --
    > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > --
    >
    > Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
    > Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz
    > RAM: 64MB
    > Video Memory: 8MB (VooDoo 3 2000)
    > Hard Disk: 20GB
    > Operating System: Windows '98 SE
    > OE v 5.50.4807.1700
    > IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
    > can&pain blocked, please don't quote

    What happens if you uncheck "Report MS-DOS mode name length errors"? What
    appears to be is that it's reporting LFN's which doesn't conform to the DOS 8.3
    naming convention.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

[...]

    Thanks Brian,
    If I uncheck 'report MS-DOS mode name errors' I don't get any mention of Macromedia or GTek. Scandisk finds no errors, or an 'incorrect free space' sometimes. I always to choose to ignore MS-DOS mode name errors when I run with that option. I do have the option 'adjust case of 8.3 filenames' in Tweakui bolted ?
    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message news:uJXrQ05RFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > What happens if you uncheck "Report MS-DOS mode name length errors"? What
    > appears to be is that it's reporting LFN's which doesn't conform to the DOS 8.3
    > naming convention.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > No big deal, just curious. Get this message when scandisk is run [when I check
    > (BOLT) the 'invalid file names option] about "can't open in MS-DOS/file length
    > name errors/ blah blah" I always choose to "ignore this error and continue"
    > The whole G Tek bundle of folders within folders was created when I updated a
    > printer driver a couple of years ago...(Don't feel the need to update if it's
    > working fine) I know it's not an error as such, and can avoid seeing it in the
    > log by unchecking the option, but still know it's there! Why is the folder
    > structure formed like this for some applications (macromedia flash comes to
    > mind) if windows-or is it DOS-can't handle it?
    > Oh yair, deep within GTek is a config folder containing 1.21 Mb of files with
    > .ucl file extension all of no more that 7 and 8 kb size. This GTek bundle of
    > folders is in both Windows/Application data and Windows/AllUsers/Application
    > data.
    > Just interested is all, the printer works fine.
    > --
    > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > --
    >
    > Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
    > Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz
    > RAM: 64MB
    > Video Memory: 8MB (VooDoo 3 2000)
    > Hard Disk: 20GB
    > Operating System: Windows '98 SE