Conroe compatibility

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
So many of you guys are saying that ONLY the Intel 975 chipset WILL support Conroe. THAT IS B*******.

I say the 945, the 955 and the forthcoming 965 WILL ALSO support Conroe, after a new revision in the case of the 945 and 955.

I don't think ANY motherboard that is being sold out there will support Conroe, not even with a BIOS update.

So why won't pretty 975 support Conroe ? As far as I know, the chipset does support it, but current mobos WILL NEED new VRMs in order to operate with Conroe.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Core Duo Vcore is marked as 1.25-1.4V. Knowing that Conroe will require more or equal power than Core Duo, there shouldn't be any problem as long as your board provides that low of a voltage. All boards easily provide 1.2 v and above. Asus P5wd2-E 975x can provide 1.18 to 1.7.
If you wanna overclock then even don't bother to lower voltage.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Maybe it supports lower Voltages but I don't know, as far as I know the VRM need to be changed in order to make the motherboard compatible.

Source

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I had seen that article. it's a little bit vague. They are talking about "stable work with Conroe" with that logic nobody should overclock. Increments as low as .125 v are embedded in Asus boards for instance. I don't think that would be the case for a decent board and it would be a wrong decision for Intel to break the compatibility.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
i975X, i965(soon to be released) and ASrock i865G so far.
775i65g.jpg

You're forgetting the 955 and 945.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I had seen that article. it's a little bit vague. They are talking about "stable work with Conroe" with that logic nobody should overclock. Increments as low as .125 v are embedded in Asus boards for instance. I don't think that would be the case for a decent board and it would be a wrong decision for Intel to break the compatibility.

I see your point but the article is very clear about the need for VRM change to support Conroe. I'd rather not take a risk... Plus motherboard manufuctures have confirmed this already.

Meh intels done it again - eg Tualatin P3 - a few mods and it will work with Ye old BX boards, its BS - the FSB is QDR so it will work any ole how, VRM is another thing (and pinout).

So many of you guys are saying that ONLY the Intel 975 chipset WILL support Conroe. THAT IS B*******.

I say the 945, the 955 and the forthcoming 965 WILL ALSO support Conroe, after a new revision in the case of the 945 and 955.

I don't think ANY motherboard that is being sold out there will support Conroe, not even with a BIOS update.

So why won't pretty 975 support Conroe ? As far as I know, the chipset does support it, but current mobos WILL NEED new VRMs in order to operate with Conroe.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I have been research this for some time just because i like to modify stuff myself
975x boards will need the Bios and MAYBE a vrm mod.
they are testing the current conroe's on the current D975XBX latest rev.

old times is correct
the key issue is voltage.
vrm's one such as the ISL6556 will work. gigabyte has it on there board
ones with "HIP6311A or HIP6301CB" should not work.

If you want to do your own research start here

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
That's what I was saying, the BIOS was needed for sure, but the VRM is something a bit more complicated. I think I heard something about Gigabyte already having a motherboard with an VRM that is compatible with Conroe, I guess we must be talkin about the same board.

We'll have to wait and see.