Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB setup in WIN98SE appears to corrupt IE6

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:00:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I have been trying to install a wireless USB adapter on my T20
Thankpad. When the adapter is first plugged in, Windows detects it and
goes through an automatic setup routine. However, when I reboot, I
receive a rundll32 error at startup (not sure what program is causing
that). And, thereafter, when I open Internet Explorer, it fails to find
an internet connection, eventually producing an error message and
shutting down. If I attempt further fiddling, I receive a sgtray error
(I've never heard of sgtray...not sure what it is) and the system
eventually locks up.

It appears that the wireless USB device IS working. It can successfully
connect to the network router and browse the computer to which the
router is attached. However, it appears to "hose" Internet Explorer as
noted above. By reloading a restore point, everything successfully
returns to functioning as it did before the attempted installation of
the wireless adapter. Other USB devices have worked successfully with
this computer.

Help! Comments???

MTW
April 20, 2005 6:42:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

<mtwingcpa@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114012801.394313.306840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I have been trying to install a wireless USB adapter on my T20
> Thankpad. When the adapter is first plugged in, Windows detects it and
> goes through an automatic setup routine. However, when I reboot, I
> receive a rundll32 error at startup (not sure what program is causing
> that). And, thereafter, when I open Internet Explorer, it fails to find
> an internet connection, eventually producing an error message and
> shutting down. If I attempt further fiddling, I receive a sgtray error
> (I've never heard of sgtray...not sure what it is) and the system
> eventually locks up.
>
> It appears that the wireless USB device IS working. It can successfully
> connect to the network router and browse the computer to which the
> router is attached. However, it appears to "hose" Internet Explorer as
> noted above. By reloading a restore point, everything successfully
> returns to functioning as it did before the attempted installation of
> the wireless adapter. Other USB devices have worked successfully with
> this computer.
>
> Help! Comments???
>
> MTW
>


SGTRAY
System Tray icon and background monitoring task for Veritas Storage Guard
which in most cases gets installed as part of Backup Exec Desktop or Backup
Exec Desktop Pro (as well as some of the other Veritas backup products).
When running in the background, Storage Guard alerts you when you have not
done a backup of your data for a while. Also, if you decide to do a backup
you can do it straight from the System Tray icon.


install your USB device then try to reset your winsock with this

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 8:30:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Haggis wrote:

> SGTRAY
> System Tray icon and background monitoring task for Veritas Storage
Guard
> which in most cases gets installed as part of Backup Exec Desktop or
Backup
> Exec Desktop Pro (as well as some of the other Veritas backup
products).

Thanks for the tip on that. I can live without the "benefits" of that
program <grin>, so I deleted the registry entry that launches it.

> install your USB device then try to reset your winsock with this
> http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Lspfix didn't recommend any entries for removal, and I'm too chicken to
experiment further in this area (probably over my head).

I've just about given up trying to get the wireless USB adapter to work
with this computer. My "guess" is that there are simply
incompatibilities between the USB drivers in Win98SE and certain
features of the much newer Internet Explorer 6. (I tried reinstalling
IE6 AFTER setting up the USB adapter, but the setup failed.)

I might try a wireless PC card instead, but that might also be an
exercise in futility. <grin>

MTW
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:14:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

mtwingcpa@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have been trying to install a wireless USB adapter on my T20
> Thankpad. When the adapter is first plugged in, Windows detects it
and
> goes through an automatic setup routine. However, when I reboot, I
> receive a rundll32 error at startup (not sure what program is causing
> that). And, thereafter, when I open Internet Explorer, it fails to
find
> an internet connection, eventually producing an error message and
> shutting down. If I attempt further fiddling, I receive a sgtray
error
> (I've never heard of sgtray...not sure what it is) and the system
> eventually locks up.

I was finally able to get this to work (more/less) by loading the
original "factory settings" restore point. That configured the computer
with Internet Explorer 5 (rather than 6). With IE5 on board, I am able
to sucessfully install and use the wireless USB adapter.

But, unfortunately, it looks like I can't access certain websites with
IE5 because it is now outmoded. At least I can access my email and
favorite news sites, making this wireless setup usable for traveling
conditions. And, it looks like I can switch back and forth between this
retro setup, and my current IE6 configuration, without undue problem.
(This computer uses ConfigSafe EZ to manage restore points.)

MTW
April 22, 2005 4:44:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

It sounds like you had issues with spyware or some secutiry product that
monitors tcp/it and socks activity. It isn't uncommon to replace a network
card on a spyware riddles computer and see somethign like this happen.
Usually the only way i can restore the internet conections is to uninstall
all the network components and then delete the winsock and winsock2 setting
from the hkey local machine settings of the registry. (it is actualy 2
folder but i don't rememer wich exact ones) Be sure to use add remove
windows componants to rid the dial up adapter and re insert it later. These
settings will be recreated without the issues once the network devices are
reinstalled.

After reading that you now have IE5, you should be able to successfully
instal IE 6 without the same problems because the offending program probably
will not be there. IF it happens again try google searching for reseting
winsock setting in windows 98 and an exact outline of how to do it should
pop up. Alternativly, you should be checking for spyware and updating older
security programs and this situation won't become a problem. Spybot search
and destroy is a common free program for this as well as adaware. you usualy
need to check for spyware with more then one program.


<mtwingcpa@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114012801.394313.306840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I have been trying to install a wireless USB adapter on my T20
> Thankpad. When the adapter is first plugged in, Windows detects it and
> goes through an automatic setup routine. However, when I reboot, I
> receive a rundll32 error at startup (not sure what program is causing
> that). And, thereafter, when I open Internet Explorer, it fails to find
> an internet connection, eventually producing an error message and
> shutting down. If I attempt further fiddling, I receive a sgtray error
> (I've never heard of sgtray...not sure what it is) and the system
> eventually locks up.
>
> It appears that the wireless USB device IS working. It can successfully
> connect to the network router and browse the computer to which the
> router is attached. However, it appears to "hose" Internet Explorer as
> noted above. By reloading a restore point, everything successfully
> returns to functioning as it did before the attempted installation of
> the wireless adapter. Other USB devices have worked successfully with
> this computer.
>
> Help! Comments???
>
> MTW
>
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:04:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

jazz wrote:

> After reading that you now have IE5, you should be able to
successfully
> instal IE 6 without the same problems because the offending program
probably
> will not be there.

I'm kind of burned out on this project at the moment, but I see your
point. There is at least a reasonable chance that installing IE6 over
my functioning IE5 setup will work...and if it doesn't I can probably
get myself back to where I am without undue problem.

I'll think about that. Maybe NEXT weekend. <grin>

MTW
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:25:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

MTW wrote:

> I'm kind of burned out on this project at the moment, but I see your
> point. There is at least a reasonable chance that installing IE6 over
> my functioning IE5 setup will work...and if it doesn't I can probably
> get myself back to where I am without undue problem.
>
> I'll think about that. Maybe NEXT weekend. <grin>

Follow-up: I did, indeed, try installing IE6 over my functioning IE5
setup. And ~voila~ it worked just fine, including the wireless USB
adapter.

So I proceeded to re-install other programs on this laptop. All went
well until I tried to install the USB driver for my digital camera. At
that point problems developed, so I backed off (I don't really need the
camera installed on this machine, anyway).

In any event, I now (finally!) have a "travel ready" laptop running IE6
with a wireless adapter.

MTW
!