Sign in with
Your question

Formatting disk with windows installed

Last response: in Mac Os X
September 12, 2012 8:11:19 PM

Hi

I have a partitioned disk with mac and windows, if I format the disk using mac os, can I install windows again with the same key? And can I format the disk from windows? In that case windows would be my only os on a mac?

Thanks in advance
September 12, 2012 8:19:26 PM

you cant have a mac that is partitioned to run windows - because windows runs on a mac in a VM environment
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:56:02 PM

dingo07 said:
you cant have a mac that is partitioned to run windows - because windows runs on a mac in a VM environment

^^^ Incorrect. :non: 
Window CAN run on your Mac in a virtualized environment via Parallels, etc., but your Mac computer can also boot as a NAITVE Windows system via the 'Boot Camp' utility:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

You should use caution when using Windows to partition your drives or format volumes because Windows doesn't support Mac compatible formatting. Use the 'Disk Utility' application [ System Preferences --> Disk Utility ] to create a MBR (Master Boot Record) partition on your drive, then format as FAT32. Note that the Disk Utility does NOT support the creation of NTFS volumes.
m
l
September 12, 2012 9:28:04 PM

wildwell said:
^^^ Incorrect. :non: 
Window CAN run on your Mac in a virtualized environment via Parallels, etc., but your Mac computer can also boot as a NAITVE Windows system via the 'Boot Camp' utility:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

You should use caution when using Windows to partition your drives or format volumes because Windows doesn't support Mac compatible formatting. Use the 'Disk Utility' application [ System Preferences --> Disk Utility ] to create a MBR (Master Boot Record) partition on your drive, then format as FAT32. Note that the Disk Utility does NOT support the creation of NTFS volumes.

you obviously Did Not understand my sentence - Hello! :hello: 
m
l
Related resources
!