vatsim

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can anyone tell me what the easiest way to connect and talk on the
VATSIM network? The last time I connected was when FSInn was the
easiest. Since everything I do is always for the first time I'd like to
hear opinions about VATSIM and connecting.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

I don't have anything to say against FSInn. But...SquawkBox 3 has voice
built-in, and it's what I use. One program to install, very clean, and
it interfaces seamlessly with FS. (Cf. the three or four programs that
used to be necessary to run SquawkBox and radios with FS9.) I'm running
behind a router and firewall -- no problems with connectivity and no
acrobatics necessary to get it running. http://squawkbox.ca/downloads/

Do you already have your VATSIM number and password? You'll need those
to log in.

Let us/me know if you have trouble. And if VFR is your thing, try KSMO
in the evenings.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:

> I don't have anything to say against FSInn. But...SquawkBox 3 has voice
> built-in, and it's what I use. One program to install, very clean, and
> it interfaces seamlessly with FS. (Cf. the three or four programs that
> used to be necessary to run SquawkBox and radios with FS9.) I'm running
> behind a router and firewall -- no problems with connectivity and no
> acrobatics necessary to get it running. http://squawkbox.ca/downloads/
>
> Do you already have your VATSIM number and password? You'll need those
> to log in.
>
> Let us/me know if you have trouble. And if VFR is your thing, try KSMO
> in the evenings.

Thanks Dave. I'll take a look now. And thanks for the KSMO tip, I fly
almost always VFR.
--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message

> Thanks Dave. I'll take a look now. And thanks for the KSMO tip, I fly
> almost always VFR.

boB,
Vatsim's incredibly easy these days with Squawkbox 3. Once installed you can
run it from within FS. No more messing around with starting four different
programs. ServInfo2 is really useful too, as it shows you where al the
online flights and controllers are around the whole globe.

I fly VFR all the time too. Just small hops around UK airports in
helicopters mainly. It's a shame there's not more VFR flyers on there
really. (Or maybe I just need to explore a little further...)

Si

I'd love to get up on VATSIM. But I was so intimitated by the early
version(s) of Squawkbox that I've never tried it again (I never did get it
working). But, maybe with version 3 it's easy enough even for us old folks.
Is there a "VATSIM/Squawkbox3 For Dummies" tutorial anywhere that tells one
how to get things up and running?

Trip

"Simon Robbins" <simon@NOSPAMsjrobbins.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> "boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks Dave. I'll take a look now. And thanks for the KSMO tip, I fly
>> almost always VFR.
>
> boB,
> Vatsim's incredibly easy these days with Squawkbox 3. Once installed you
> can
> run it from within FS. No more messing around with starting four different
> programs. ServInfo2 is really useful too, as it shows you where al the
> online flights and controllers are around the whole globe.
>
> I fly VFR all the time too. Just small hops around UK airports in
> helicopters mainly. It's a shame there's not more VFR flyers on there
> really. (Or maybe I just need to explore a little further...)
>
> Si

> I'd love to get up on VATSIM. But I was so intimitated by the early
>version(s) of Squawkbox that I've never tried it again (I never did get it
>working). But, maybe with version 3 it's easy enough even for us old folks.
>Is there a "VATSIM/Squawkbox3 For Dummies" tutorial anywhere that tells one
>how to get things up and running?

Trip,

It has indeed become a breeze to install, configure and run SB now, no
more of these multiple programs and hooks required for the obsolete
version that put off so many people: PDF instructions to set it up are
at http://vatsim.net/comms/sb3/sb3_install_flags.htm

===
Best Regards
Katy

Thanks Katy. That's a good link - exactly what I was looking for. I
think even I can get it running now :) . Looks like the SoundMax on this
mobo may be an issue but I've been thinking about getting a good soundcard
anyway. I put my old Turtle Beach soundcard in my wife's computer some time
ago and never bothered to get another one. Now all I need is a little time
to get things started.....sigh...

Regards, Trip