Shlwapi DLL not found

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 21, 2005 8:11:21 PM

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help.

I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.

I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:D ll not found

I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.

I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.

I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.

Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!

Thanks

--
npr1uk
npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581

More about : shlwapi dll found

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:58:11 PM

You mean...?...
MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...

Below is Wininit.ini, after taking the new IE cumulative, but before a
reboot. It deletes C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL, & then renames
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP to it. Can something have gone wrong?

(1) Boot to DOS
(Hold CTRL as you boot, & select Command Prompt Only.)
(2) SMARTDRV
(3) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.ini
Wininit.ini is used to manipulate files during a reboot that cannot
be touched while Windows is running.
(4) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.bak
Normally, Wininit.ini is renamed to Wininit.bak after it has done
it's work during boot.
(5) DIR C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
(6) DIR C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP

Report your results.

[Rename]
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61C5.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D0.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D1.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D3.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D5.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D6.TMP

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

| Hi all,
|
| Hopefully someone can help.
|
| I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
| then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
|
| I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:D ll not found
|
| I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
|
| I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
|
| I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
|
| Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
|
| Thanks
|

| --
| npr1uk
| npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
| View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
| Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:11:13 AM

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
95 boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for extracting
files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and restart.

extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL

Ben

"npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com...

> Hi all,
>
> Hopefully someone can help.
>
> I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
> then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
>
> I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:D ll not found
>
> I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
>
> I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
>
> I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
>
> Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> npr1uk
> npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
> Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

April 24, 2005 3:02:09 PM

Correction.

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
95b boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for extracting

"Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message news:e1gmU6LSFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
95 boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for extracting
files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and restart.

extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL

Ben

"npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com...

> Hi all,
>
> Hopefully someone can help.
>
> I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
> then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
>
> I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:D ll not found
>
> I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
>
> I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
>
> I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
>
> Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> npr1uk
> npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
> Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:46:40 PM

Where has npr1uk gone to, Myers? I await a report of his results!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
Correction.

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
95b boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
extracting
files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and
restart.

extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL

Ben

"Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
95 boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
extracting
files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and
restart.

extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL

Ben

"npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> Hopefully someone can help.
>
> I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
> then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
>
> I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:D ll not found
>
> I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
>
> I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
>
> I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
>
> Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> npr1uk
> npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
> Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

April 24, 2005 5:46:41 PM

Hi-ya PCR Pro,
Sorry to intrude on your post here but.......
quick favor pls., do a find for a .DLL plse.
Do you have mswebapi.dll installed, if so, where is the location ???

Thanks, Star

news:o Q$j6UPSFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Where has npr1uk gone to, Myers? I await a report of his results!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
> Correction.
>
> Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
> 95b boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
> extracting
> files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
> CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and
> restart.
>
> extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL
>
> Ben
>
> "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
> Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
> 95 boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
> extracting
> files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
> CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and
> restart.
>
> extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL
>
> Ben
>
> "npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Hopefully someone can help.
> >
> > I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
> > then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
> >
> > I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:D ll not found
> >
> > I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
> >
> > I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
> >
> > I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
> >
> > Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > npr1uk
> > npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
> > Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:18:52 PM

"Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi-ya PCR Pro,
> Sorry to intrude on your post here but.......
> quick favor pls., do a find for a .DLL plse.
> Do you have mswebapi.dll installed, if so, where is the location ???
>
> Thanks, Star

Butting in,
I run Win98SE and I don't have that file on my PC.
Buffalo
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:18:53 PM

> > Do you have mswebapi.dll installed, if so, where is the location ???
> >
> I run Win98SE and I don't have that file on my PC.
> Buffalo

It is a Microsoft Personal Web Server file.

PWS is optional.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:50:45 PM

Nope, don't have it, like Buffalo. It isn't in the Win98SE .cab files,
either. Must be as Candlin said, & it comes with something else.

--
> [...]
and
| > restart.
| >
| > extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab
SHLWAPI.DLL

| > Ben
| >
| > "npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
| > >
| > > Hi all,
| > >
| > > Hopefully someone can help.
| > >
| > > I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night
and
| > > then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
| > >
| > > I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:D ll not
found

| > > I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
| > >
| > > I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
| > >
| > > I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load
it.

| > > Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!

April 26, 2005 8:52:13 AM

You've got a little misinformation going there PCR. Wininit.ini is
made at the time the update is run and is fully accessable in Windows
before the machine is shutdown to finish installing the update. AND it
does nothing until win.com calls wininit.exe while still in DOS mode at
the next bootup - THEN it deletes the 'in use' files at the time the
update was run and then is supposed to rename the new replacement
files.

For some reason the renaming process then fails and too many people
wind up with shlwapi.dll missing - it would be really nice to find out
why.

Used to be that somehow wininit.ini file would be set to readonly
(perhaps hidden?) attribute and thus could not be renamed to
wininit.bak file and thus it would repeat at each boot. That problem
seems to have just 'gone away' somehow.

You know something? At the old V3 update site, I remember downloading
some dozen or so versions of advpack.dll which is responsible for
writing wininit.ini file and ever since ie 6 SP1 came out there has not
been a higher version (6.00.2800.1106) of it for us 98 users. I'm just
wondering out loud if both problems could be due to an older version of
advpack.dll? It seems like for a while back in the V3 days they had a
new version every week and now no offerings anywhere? There has got to
be reasons why they kept kicking out newer versions....

Another tidbit that might mean something is that usually in updates
they include advpack.dll file so it can be used by the update to do the
work - advpack.dll is missing from cumulative updates and thus the
machine must rely on the file found in the System folder instead.
Hmm... stranger and stranger? Updates are also written such that even
if advpack.dll is 'onboard' it is not copied to the System folder
anyway and thus MS is missing a great opportunity to fix everybody's
advpack.dll version situation. But then...

Update 891711 version 2 has advpack.dll but it's version is
4.72.2811.0, hows that for an old file and who would want it?

Quick check - what's your version of advpack.dll in your Windows\System
folder? I replaced mine manually, so I'm wondering what versions
anybody else has by default? THIS may be it!!?

If you want version 6.00.2800.1106 advpack.dll file just extract it
from ie6setup.exe using WinZip and place it in your system folder. No
need to register it. It's been working great here for years.
April 27, 2005 3:15:20 AM

Thanks for doing a find for this .DLL, confirms what I suspected...

Star

"Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi-ya PCR Pro,
> Sorry to intrude on your post here but.......
> quick favor pls., do a find for a .DLL plse.
> Do you have mswebapi.dll installed, if so, where is the location ???
>
> Thanks, Star
>
> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> news:o Q$j6UPSFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Where has npr1uk gone to, Myers? I await a report of his results!
> >

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
> > Correction.
> >
> > Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
> > 95b boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
> > extracting
> > files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
> > CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and
> > restart.
> >
> > extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
> > Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
> > 95 boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
> > extracting
> > files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
> > CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and
> > restart.
> >
> > extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Hopefully someone can help.
> > >
> > > I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
> > > then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
> > >
> > > I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:D ll not found
> > >
> > > I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
> > >
> > > I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
> > >
> > > I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
> > >
> > > Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > > --
> > > npr1uk
> > --
> > > npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
> > > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
> > > Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:01:57 PM

"Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
| You've got a little misinformation going there PCR. Wininit.ini is
| made at the time the update is run and is fully accessable in Windows
| before the machine is shutdown to finish installing the update. AND
it
| does nothing until win.com calls wininit.exe while still in DOS mode
at
| the next bootup - THEN it deletes the 'in use' files at the time the
| update was run and then is supposed to rename the new replacement
| files.

What did I say?

| For some reason the renaming process then fails and too many people
| wind up with shlwapi.dll missing - it would be really nice to find out
| why.

Indeed.

| Used to be that somehow wininit.ini file would be set to readonly
| (perhaps hidden?) attribute and thus could not be renamed to
| wininit.bak file and thus it would repeat at each boot. That problem
| seems to have just 'gone away' somehow.

Well, if npr1uk is still with us, that could be an item to check.
Certainly Wininit.ini must not be Read-Only, if that could happen & if
it matters to Wininit.exe. (I doubt it could matter whether the file is
Hidden or System, but may as well check those as well.)

| You know something? At the old V3 update site, I remember downloading
| some dozen or so versions of advpack.dll which is responsible for
| writing wininit.ini file and ever since ie 6 SP1 came out there has
not
| been a higher version (6.00.2800.1106) of it for us 98 users. I'm
just
| wondering out loud if both problems could be due to an older version
of
| advpack.dll? It seems like for a while back in the V3 days they had a
| new version every week and now no offerings anywhere? There has got
| be reasons why they kept kicking out newer versions....

I don't know. I seem to have only two. One is v.4.72.3110.0 that came
with a Maxtor/Promise Ultra/ATA 100 Adapter Card, for use I suppose in
the installation of that. It is in the folder that holds it's
installation files, .dll's, .vxd's, etc. And I did install it, but
quickly removed it. The other is...

ADVPACK.DLL
Desc: ADVPACK
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Size: 91,136 bytes
Mod: Thursday, August 29, 2002
Ver: 6.00.2800.1106

| Another tidbit that might mean something is that usually in updates
| they include advpack.dll file so it can be used by the update to do
the
| work - advpack.dll is missing from cumulative updates and thus the
| machine must rely on the file found in the System folder instead.
| Hmm... stranger and stranger? Updates are also written such that even
| if advpack.dll is 'onboard' it is not copied to the System folder
| anyway and thus MS is missing a great opportunity to fix everybody's
| advpack.dll version situation. But then...

I can only guess MS is worried some other app may not like it's newer
advpack.dll.

| Update 891711 version 2 has advpack.dll but it's version is
| 4.72.2811.0, hows that for an old file and who would want it?

I have taken that update, but do not see Advpack.dll v.4.72.2811.0
around here. I do not believe it is one of the files that comes with
that update, although the file is used by it...
.......Quote 891711UN.INF.......
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","Uninstalling
KB891711",,"RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
%17%\QFE\%SPKey%\891711UN.INF,FinishUninstall,2,N"
....snip...
AdvPackWarn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
.......EOQ............................

| Quick check - what's your version of advpack.dll in your
Windows\System
| folder? I replaced mine manually, so I'm wondering what versions
| anybody else has by default? THIS may be it!!?

I have your version & did not get it manually.

| If you want version 6.00.2800.1106 advpack.dll file just extract it
| from ie6setup.exe using WinZip and place it in your system folder. No
| need to register it. It's been working great here for years.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
April 28, 2005 5:27:32 AM

PCR wrote:

> What did I say?

You said wininit.ini deletes the files while still in Windows - it
can't. It doesn't run there and the files are in use, even windows
can't delete them while they are in use. You also said that Windows
can't access the wininit.ini file when it can, it's a plain jane text
file as is wininit.bak file.

> | For some reason the renaming process then fails and too many people
> | wind up with shlwapi.dll missing - it would be really nice to find
out
> | why.
>
> Indeed.
>

> | Used to be that somehow wininit.ini file would be set to readonly
> | (perhaps hidden?) attribute and thus could not be renamed to
> | wininit.bak file and thus it would repeat at each boot. That
problem
> | seems to have just 'gone away' somehow.
>
> Well, if npr1uk is still with us, that could be an item to check.
> Certainly Wininit.ini must not be Read-Only, if that could happen &
if
> it matters to Wininit.exe. (I doubt it could matter whether the file
is
> Hidden or System, but may as well check those as well.)

DOS can not 'see' hidden attributed files so they can not be found to
be renamed (in this case) or deleted, I'm sure you already knew this on
some level? If winint.ini is read only attributed then of course it
can not be renamed, altered, or deleted. If wininit.ini can not be
renamed to wininit.bak there is some room to doubt that the
instructions contained in wininit.ini were carried out fully as we
outlanders can't know the order that these processes occur.
Wininit.exe may be written to do all delete functions first and then do
all rename functions second which would include renaming wininti.ini
itself to wininit.bak at some point. If there is a catastrophic
failure/error in the renaming of wininit.ini, it's possible that the
rest of the files don't get renamed at all. Just me guessing here, but
it does seem to be that only shlwapi.dll doesn't get renamed and of
course I have no idea exactly how that happens or could be.

> | Update 891711 version 2 has advpack.dll but it's version is
> | 4.72.2811.0, hows that for an old file and who would want it?
>
> I have taken that update, but do not see Advpack.dll v.4.72.2811.0
> around here. I do not believe it is one of the files that comes with
> that update, although the file is used by it...
> ......Quote 891711UN.INF.......

It is INSIDE the update package. Use WinZip to extract it and do a
version check on it. As I said, most updates are not written to copy
the file over, they just have it onboard to do the work in case the
system's advpack.dll is too old or missing. By default, all inf file
installs look to the current directory for any file functions which
would be a temporary folder in the TEMP folder which is deleted as soon
as the update has finished. You can see these by not clicking the
update's OK box and navigating to the TEMP folder in cases where the
update waits for an OK to restart or is just giving the user an info
box. You may have to press F5 to refresh Windows Explorer as well in
order to see the update's TEMP folder and files inside it.

> | Quick check - what's your version of advpack.dll in your
> Windows\System
> | folder? I replaced mine manually, so I'm wondering what versions
> | anybody else has by default? THIS may be it!!?
>
> I have your version & did not get it manually.

I would hope so, but as I'm still ie 5.50 SP2 it would be a bit odd for
me to have unless I did do it manually. Advpack.dll is on a file list
in the ie6setup files so I am going to assume that anyone that properly
installed ie6 will have at least version 6.00.2800.1106. But it's very
nice to actually see that this IS the case, thanks. Now if ie6 is NOT
properly installed?...

Back in the day of Gozilla and other purported spyware applications it
was reported that advpack.dll was one of the Gozilla supplied
spy/banner adware files and should be deleted at once. This is NOT
true and one should not delete advpack.dll unless you have a better one
on hand. Every installation using inf files requires it as well as
setupx.dll, w95inf16.dll, and w95inf32.dll files.

As with all 'shlwapi.dll missing' incidents the first thing that should
be done is to look at wininit.ini and/or wininit.bak files in DOS mode
first. Then do a search for the temporary file using the name shown in
wininit.ini file and then one might possibly be able to rename it in a
real DOS mode session. But by the time the OP knows this, he has
already 'restored' the wrong version (I guarantee that much) of
shlwapi.dll from God knows where and wininit.bak has been overwritten
long ago and thus is of no use in finding why this happens in the first
place.

Confusing the issue is the fact that the temporary name given to the
new shlwapi.dll file is generated by a process such that we can't
predict the temporary name. When I ran the update here I got
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET2192.TMP for example. I know of no simple batch
file that we could create to locate the temp name and use that info to
rename the file(s) automatically. I use 'file(s)' because I don't even
know if the rest of the files ARE renamed correctly or not. These
users get sidelined by private email or are too busy reinstalling
Windows to bother with us all too often. I really doubt npr1uk will
even look up this thread when he does get back online to see how he
possibly could have fixed it in all of three minutes...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:01:59 PM

| PCR wrote:
| >
| > What did I say?
|
| You said wininit.ini deletes the files while still in Windows - it
| can't. It doesn't run there and the files are in use, even windows
| can't delete them while they are in use. You also said that Windows
| can't access the wininit.ini file when it can, it's a plain jane text
| file as is wininit.bak file.

I said...

(3) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.ini
Wininit.ini is used to manipulate files during a reboot that cannot
be touched while Windows is running.
(4) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.bak
Normally, Wininit.ini is renamed to Wininit.bak after it has done
it's work during boot.

...., which isn't as bad as you make it out to be. "Cannot be touched" is
refering to the files that are in use, such as SHLWAPI.DLL. "During a
reboot" refers to a point in time before Windows is started to make use
of the files.

....snip

| > |
| > | Used to be that somehow wininit.ini file would be set to readonly
| > | (perhaps hidden?) attribute and thus could not be renamed to
| > | wininit.bak file and thus it would repeat at each boot. That
| problem
| > | seems to have just 'gone away' somehow.
| >
| > Well, if npr1uk is still with us, that could be an item to check.
| > Certainly Wininit.ini must not be Read-Only, if that could happen &
| if
| > it matters to Wininit.exe. (I doubt it could matter whether the file
| is
| > Hidden or System, but may as well check those as well.)
|
| DOS can not 'see' hidden attributed files so they can not be found to
| be renamed (in this case) or deleted,

DIR cannot see hidden files, unless "/a" is used.
RENAME will rename them, once you can spell them correctly.

Don't rename this one, but...

C:\>attrib msdos.sys
A SHR MSDOS.SYS C:\MSDOS.SYS

C:\>dir msdos.sys
Directory of C:\
File not found

C:\>dir msdos.sys /a
Directory of C:\
MSDOS SYS 1,784 06-15-04 6:40p MSDOS.SYS
1 file(s) 1,784 bytes

| I'm sure you already knew this on
| some level? If winint.ini is read only attributed then of course it
| can not be renamed, altered, or deleted.

That is true of DOS with respect to the interface we use to access it,
which is Command.com. HOWEVER, I can think it may be otherwise for
Wininit.exe, which may not even be using DOS (for all I know). I am not
going to make a Wininit.ini Read-Only to go testing it, though. Are you
willing to make up a phony Wininit.ini to delete & rename a file or two,
make the .ini Read-Only, & reboot?

| If wininit.ini can not be
| renamed to wininit.bak there is some room to doubt that the
| instructions contained in wininit.ini were carried out fully as we
| outlanders can't know the order that these processes occur.
| Wininit.exe may be written to do all delete functions first and then
do
| all rename functions second which would include renaming wininti.ini
| itself to wininit.bak at some point. If there is a catastrophic
| failure/error in the renaming of wininit.ini, it's possible that the
| rest of the files don't get renamed at all. Just me guessing here,
but
| it does seem to be that only shlwapi.dll doesn't get renamed and of
| course I have no idea exactly how that happens or could be.

If it's only that one, then there must be something different about it.
If you fool with a phony Wininit.ini, try messing with the attributes of
just one file inside. Maybe mess with it's dates too. Wininit.exe may
just bypass the bad one & process the rest. Might have been nice to see
an error message, though.

| > |
| > | Update 891711 version 2 has advpack.dll but it's version is
| > | 4.72.2811.0, hows that for an old file and who would want it?
| >
| > I have taken that update, but do not see Advpack.dll v.4.72.2811.0
| > around here. I do not believe it is one of the files that comes with
| > that update, although the file is used by it...
| > ......Quote 891711UN.INF.......
|
| It is INSIDE the update package. Use WinZip to extract it and do a
| version check on it.

ADVPACK.DLL
Desc: ADVPACK
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
Size: 80,864 bytes
Mod: Thursday, December 11, 1997 05:33:12 AM
Ver: 4.72.2811.0

Yea, yea, that's right, that's where it was. It's MUCH older & did not
replace (during the installation of KB891711) the one I reported earlier
in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, which is v.6.00.2800.1106.

| As I said, most updates are not written to copy
| the file over, they just have it onboard to do the work in case the
| system's advpack.dll is too old or missing.

OK.

| By default, all inf file
| installs look to the current directory for any file functions which
| would be a temporary folder in the TEMP folder which is deleted as
soon
| as the update has finished. You can see these by not clicking the
| update's OK box and navigating to the TEMP folder in cases where the
| update waits for an OK to restart or is just giving the user an info
| box. You may have to press F5 to refresh Windows Explorer as well in
| order to see the update's TEMP folder and files inside it.

Hmmm. Some day I just might go look!

| > |
| > | Quick check - what's your version of advpack.dll in your
| > Windows\System
| > | folder? I replaced mine manually, so I'm wondering what versions
| > | anybody else has by default? THIS may be it!!?
| >
| > I have your version & did not get it manually.
|
| I would hope so, but as I'm still ie 5.50 SP2 it would be a bit odd
for
| me to have unless I did do it manually. Advpack.dll is on a file list
| in the ie6setup files so I am going to assume that anyone that
properly
| installed ie6 will have at least version 6.00.2800.1106. But it's
very
| nice to actually see that this IS the case, thanks. Now if ie6 is NOT
| properly installed?...

You are welcome. If not properly installed, I guess it would be as you
said. Most installation packages carry a hidden one of their own.

| Back in the day of Gozilla and other purported spyware applications it
| was reported that advpack.dll was one of the Gozilla supplied
| spy/banner adware files and should be deleted at once. This is NOT
| true and one should not delete advpack.dll unless you have a better
one
| on hand. Every installation using inf files requires it as well as
| setupx.dll, w95inf16.dll, and w95inf32.dll files.

OK. One shouldn't under normal circumstances go deleting things on
rumor, anyhow.

| As with all 'shlwapi.dll missing' incidents the first thing that
should
| be done is to look at wininit.ini and/or wininit.bak files in DOS mode
| first. Then do a search for the temporary file using the name shown
in
| wininit.ini file and then one might possibly be able to rename it in a
| real DOS mode session. But by the time the OP knows this, he has
| already 'restored' the wrong version (I guarantee that much) of
| shlwapi.dll from God knows where and wininit.bak has been overwritten
| long ago and thus is of no use in finding why this happens in the
first
| place.

Well, let us what npr1uk reports. If his SET???.tmp is intact, then it
may be renamed. If not, he can try the older Shlwapi.dll from the
Windows .cab's, or, even better, we may be able to get one out of the IE
..cab's.

| Confusing the issue is the fact that the temporary name given to the
| new shlwapi.dll file is generated by a process such that we can't
| predict the temporary name. When I ran the update here I got
| C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET2192.TMP for example.

I was afraid of that, & it is why I asked him to TYPE his
Wininit.ini/.bak out.

| I know of no simple batch
| file that we could create to locate the temp name and use that info to
| rename the file(s) automatically. I use 'file(s)' because I don't
even
| know if the rest of the files ARE renamed correctly or not.

I hope we don't have to do each one of the files inside the .ini/.bak.

| These
| users get sidelined by private email or are too busy reinstalling
| Windows to bother with us all too often. I really doubt npr1uk will
| even look up this thread when he does get back online to see how he
| possibly could have fixed it in all of three minutes...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
April 29, 2005 4:46:22 AM

PCR wrote:

> I said...
>
> (3) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.ini
> Wininit.ini is used to manipulate files during a reboot that
cannot
> be touched while Windows is running.
> (4) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.bak
> Normally, Wininit.ini is renamed to Wininit.bak after it has
done
> it's work during boot.
>
> ..., which isn't as bad as you make it out to be. "Cannot be touched"
is
> refering to the files that are in use, such as SHLWAPI.DLL. "During a
> reboot" refers to a point in time before Windows is started to make
use
> of the files.
>
> ...snip

Yes, I see where I did misunderstand this part, sorry.

> DIR cannot see hidden files, unless "/a" is used.
> RENAME will rename them, once you can spell them correctly.
>
> Don't rename this one, but...
>
> C:\>attrib msdos.sys
> A SHR MSDOS.SYS C:\MSDOS.SYS
>
> C:\>dir msdos.sys
> Directory of C:\
> File not found
>
> C:\>dir msdos.sys /a
> Directory of C:\
> MSDOS SYS 1,784 06-15-04 6:40p MSDOS.SYS
> 1 file(s) 1,784 bytes

That one CAN be fiddled with while in DOS or Windows but at the next
bootup, if it is not hidden attributed, all kinds of a mess will
happen. So as I type this, I'll try various things on it, first is
plain rename as is.

ren msdos.sys msdoos.sys
File not found - msdos.sys

Then I'll remove the system and readonly attributes leaving only hidden
attribute.

attrib -s -r msdos.sys
C:\msdos.sys A..H. Fri 11-26-2004 2:36:46 am 1,724 bytes
Files found: 1; altered: 1 in C:\
Total found: 1; altered: 1
PS - I'm using attrib.com here not attrib.exe

ren msdos.sys msdoos.sys
File not found - msdos.sys

You didn't try it yourself did you (again)? It looks like I might be
right this time... You ought nought to mess with my head like this
PCR, I thought that's the way it was and then when it turns out to be
true it really does a number on me, I'm so used to being shown wrong
lately. I'll forgive you if you tell me how you capture your DOS box
text like that - it lends a certain authority to the posting that I
feel I'm lacking.

> | I'm sure you already knew this on
> | some level? If winint.ini is read only attributed then of course
it
> | can not be renamed, altered, or deleted.
>
> That is true of DOS with respect to the interface we use to access
it,
> which is Command.com. HOWEVER, I can think it may be otherwise for
> Wininit.exe, which may not even be using DOS (for all I know). I am
not
> going to make a Wininit.ini Read-Only to go testing it, though. Are
you
> willing to make up a phony Wininit.ini to delete & rename a file or
two,
> make the .ini Read-Only, & reboot?

We don't have to, just search the group for 'wininit' and 'attribute'
and you'll find some posts instructing people to either remove the
attribute or delete wininit.ini and reapply the update. This issue
does have a history HERE, I posted some of those as well.

> | it does seem to be that only shlwapi.dll doesn't get renamed and of
> | course I have no idea exactly how that happens or could be.
>
> If it's only that one, then there must be something different about
it.
> If you fool with a phony Wininit.ini, try messing with the attributes
of
> just one file inside. Maybe mess with it's dates too. Wininit.exe may
> just bypass the bad one & process the rest. Might have been nice to
see
> an error message, though.

I'm not going to 'mess' around either as my system eats updates like
the cookie monster munches cookies - I don't have the problem. I
wouldn't know how to replicate a troublesome machine either.

There is another isssue that may be the cause. DOS batch is known for
launching apps before the current line has fully completed all it's
work, Start /W command only works in the DOS box, NOT true DOS mode, so
it may be that shlwapi.dll file is in the middle of being renamed when
Windows tries to load it but can't find it because wininit.exe isn't
yet done with the rename yet. One way to troubleshoot this 'too fast'
aspect of DOS batch is to launch another instance of command.com and do
the task that is failing in there, and that is a common practice or
'fix' FYI. I'm thinking that autoexec.bat should launch wininit.exe
instead of win.com? I WILL try this. And rerunning wininit.exe from a
Boot to DOS prompt may work as the simplest fix of all?

> Well, let us what npr1uk reports. If his SET???.tmp is intact, then
it
> may be renamed. If not, he can try the older Shlwapi.dll from the
> Windows .cab's, or, even better, we may be able to get one out of the
IE
> .cab's.

I made an enemy out of Hugh by suggesting that the ONLY version of
shlwapi.dll anybody should be suggesting to be restored is the one from
the update itself, and I still believe that. Since Windows DOES
required a shlwapi.dll file to even load with, this must all be done in
true DOS mode or on another machine, unfortunately. The often quoted
fix is to use winfile or progman to get around the missing shlwapi.dll
- but this DOESN'T work as you get misleading out of memory errors when
trying to run the update again or run any other 32bit processes using
those 16bit apps without a shlwapi.dll file. Trying to reinstall ie
using winfile or progman is NEVER going to work without a shlwapi.dll
file, I've tried it. I supose winfile might be used to do the simple
rename with but getting here requires as much of a book to learn as it
does to do the rename in DOS mode.
winfile solution
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=249191

Wrong versioned substitutes do work (kinda), but should only be
considered as a temporary fix - one should then reapply the update in
any event just to be sure you are working with the correct file and
that the others in the update are correct as well, they ARE a matched
set. When they are NOT matched you can get BSODs sometimes (not
always) but for those people totally scared off from applying any more
updates (especially this one and it DOES need to be reapplied) - you
loose the security patch that the update was released for, not a wise
move these days.

For the record, a 5.00.2614.3500 version shlwapi.dll file can be found
inside Win98_41.cab for 98se, but unfortunately ie's shlwapi.dll is
inside ie_3.cab which is inside ie_s3.cab in the ie installation files
so at the very least a double extraction needs to be done using ie
files. We can't self-extract the update either because that function
requires 32bit Windows and without a working shlwapi.dll we don't have
any 32bit Windows. Winfile option fails here too. It's catch 22 all
over the place.

> | Confusing the issue is the fact that the temporary name given to
the
> | new shlwapi.dll file is generated by a process such that we can't
> | predict the temporary name. When I ran the update here I got
> | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET2192.TMP for example.
>
> I was afraid of that, & it is why I asked him to TYPE his
> Wininit.ini/.bak out.

I suspected that was your motives there, I just wanted that info out in
the open FYI for everybody. I did notice that mine were all
consecutively numbered where your list showed a skip in the numbering
meaning we can't even rely on consecutive numbers when we do find the
start of them.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:50:38 PM

| PCR wrote:
| >
| > I said...
....snip

| Yes, I see where I did misunderstand this part, sorry.

OK.

| > DIR cannot see hidden files, unless "/a" is used.
| > RENAME will rename them, once you can spell them correctly.
| >
| > Don't rename this one, but...
| >
| > C:\>attrib msdos.sys
| > A SHR MSDOS.SYS C:\MSDOS.SYS
| >
| > C:\>dir msdos.sys
| > Directory of C:\
| > File not found
| >
| > C:\>dir msdos.sys /a
| > Directory of C:\
| > MSDOS SYS 1,784 06-15-04 6:40p MSDOS.SYS
| > 1 file(s) 1,784 bytes
|
| That one CAN be fiddled with while in DOS or Windows but at the next
| bootup, if it is not hidden attributed, all kinds of a mess will
| happen. So as I type this, I'll try various things on it, first is
| plain rename as is.
|
| ren msdos.sys msdoos.sys
| File not found - msdos.sys
|
| Then I'll remove the system and readonly attributes leaving only
hidden
| attribute.
|
| attrib -s -r msdos.sys
| C:\msdos.sys A..H. Fri 11-26-2004 2:36:46 am 1,724 bytes
| Files found: 1; altered: 1 in C:\
| Total found: 1; altered: 1
| PS - I'm using attrib.com here not attrib.exe

I seem not to have one of those!

| ren msdos.sys msdoos.sys
| File not found - msdos.sys
|
| You didn't try it yourself did you (again)?

Uh-oh. That's right. I had fun with MSDOS.sys quite a while ago, but
forgot. Sorry to put you through it. Apparently, one must remove three
attributes before some DOS commands, such as RENAME, can operate on
MSDOS.sys. Those are: Hidden, System, & Read-Only. It's the same for all
files. I suppose it's the same for DELETE.

| It looks like I might be
| right this time... You ought nought to mess with my head like this

You're right some DOS commands can't operate on files that are
attributed Hidden/System/Read-Only until the attribute(s) is removed.
But does it apply to Wininit.exe, when it does a RENAME of Wininit.ini
to Wininit.bak? Or when it DELETE/RENAME's a file inside Wininit.ini?
Maybe. (I don't know.) Now, I do know; see below.

| PCR, I thought that's the way it was and then when it turns out to be
| true it really does a number on me, I'm so used to being shown wrong
| lately. I'll forgive you if you tell me how you capture your DOS box
| text like that - it lends a certain authority to the posting that I
| feel I'm lacking.

(a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
(b) Wininit.exe/?
(c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
results.

C:\>Wininit.exe/?
Windows Setup Initialization Utility.
(But who knows how I work?)

| > | I'm sure you already knew this on
| > | some level? If winint.ini is read only attributed then of course
| it
| > | can not be renamed, altered, or deleted.
| >
| > That is true of DOS with respect to the interface we use to access
| it,
| > which is Command.com. HOWEVER, I can think it may be otherwise for
| > Wininit.exe, which may not even be using DOS (for all I know). I am
| not
| > going to make a Wininit.ini Read-Only to go testing it, though. Are
| you
| > willing to make up a phony Wininit.ini to delete & rename a file or
| two,
| > make the .ini Read-Only, & reboot?
|
| We don't have to, just search the group for 'wininit' and 'attribute'
| and you'll find some posts instructing people to either remove the
| attribute or delete wininit.ini and reapply the update. This issue
| does have a history HERE, I posted some of those as well.

I don't know. Maybe I'll try it...

[Rename]
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt

If that is Wininit.ini in C:\Windows, it would (during a reboot)...

(a) Delete Gunk.txt.
(b) Rename Gunk2.txt to Gunk.txt.
(c) Delete Gunk1.txt.
(d) Rename Gunk3.txt to Gunk1.txt.
(e) Rename Wininit.ini to Wininit.bak

But what happens if Wininit.ini is Read-Only (or System or Hidden)?
ANSWER: I've tested it now, & it all worked no matter the attributes of
Wininit.ini. I had them all set!

And what happens if one of the .txt files has a forbidden attribute?
ANSWER: I set the attributes of Gunk & Gunk3 to HSRA. It still worked
perfectly, but Gunk1 picked up the attributes of Gunk3 as well as it's
contents.

Finally, what if one of the text files is not found?
ANSWER: I deleted Gunk & Gunk3, while leaving mention of them intact in
Wininit.ini. Gunk2 was still renamed to Gunk. Gunk1 was deleted. There
was no error message about missing files.

In all cases Wininit.ini was renamed to Wininit.bak, even when all of
it's attributes were set... HSRA. Wininit.bak does not have those
attributes now. (But I didn't check directly after the critical test,
the one where Wininit.ini had them set.)

CONCLUSIONS: Wininit.exe gets whatever work done it possibly can giving
no error messages along the way. Attributes don't matter to it. Missing
files do matter, but it plods along. Looking at...

[Rename]
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61C5.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D0.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D1.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D3.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D5.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D6.TMP

npr1uk would get the effect he reports if C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
did not exist.

| > | it does seem to be that only shlwapi.dll doesn't get renamed and
of
| > | course I have no idea exactly how that happens or could be.
| >
| > If it's only that one, then there must be something different about
| it.
| > If you fool with a phony Wininit.ini, try messing with the
attributes
| of
| > just one file inside. Maybe mess with it's dates too. Wininit.exe
may
| > just bypass the bad one & process the rest. Might have been nice to
| see
| > an error message, though.
|

| I'm not going to 'mess' around either as my system eats updates like
| the cookie monster munches cookies - I don't have the problem. I
| wouldn't know how to replicate a troublesome machine either.

Could be dangerous to fool with Wininit.ini. (But someone once said he
did, & now so have I.)

| There is another isssue that may be the cause. DOS batch is known for
| launching apps before the current line has fully completed all it's
| work, Start /W command only works in the DOS box, NOT true DOS mode,
so
| it may be that shlwapi.dll file is in the middle of being renamed when
| Windows tries to load it but can't find it because wininit.exe isn't
| yet done with the rename yet. One way to troubleshoot this 'too fast'
| aspect of DOS batch is to launch another instance of command.com and
do
| the task that is failing in there, and that is a common practice or
| 'fix' FYI. I'm thinking that autoexec.bat should launch wininit.exe
| instead of win.com? I WILL try this. And rerunning wininit.exe from
| Boot to DOS prompt may work as the simplest fix of all?

Carefully, I await your results. Well, I've been thrown offline by
Netzero. Guess I'll go test a Wininit.ini. Let it be on your head, Lee,
if I blow myself up!

| > Well, let us what npr1uk reports. If his SET???.tmp is intact, then
| it
| > may be renamed. If not, he can try the older Shlwapi.dll from the
| > Windows .cab's, or, even better, we may be able to get one out of
the
| IE
| > .cab's.
|
| I made an enemy out of Hugh by suggesting that the ONLY version of
| shlwapi.dll anybody should be suggesting to be restored is the one
from
| the update itself, and I still believe that. Since Windows DOES
| required a shlwapi.dll file to even load with, this must all be done
in
| true DOS mode or on another machine, unfortunately. The often quoted
| fix is to use winfile or progman to get around the missing shlwapi.dll
| - but this DOESN'T work as you get misleading out of memory errors
when
| trying to run the update again or run any other 32bit processes using
| those 16bit apps without a shlwapi.dll file. Trying to reinstall ie
| using winfile or progman is NEVER going to work without a shlwapi.dll
| file, I've tried it. I supose winfile might be used to do the simple
| rename with but getting here requires as much of a book to learn as it
| does to do the rename in DOS mode.
| winfile solution
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=249191
|
| Wrong versioned substitutes do work (kinda), but should only be
| considered as a temporary fix - one should then reapply the update in
| any event just to be sure you are working with the correct file and
| that the others in the update are correct as well, they ARE a matched
| set. When they are NOT matched you can get BSODs sometimes (not
| always) but for those people totally scared off from applying any more
| updates (especially this one and it DOES need to be reapplied) - you
| loose the security patch that the update was released for, not a wise
| move these days.

Yea, I think it best to over-install IE at the earliest opportunity,
hopefully getting all the file versions right.

| For the record, a 5.00.2614.3500 version shlwapi.dll file can be found
| inside Win98_41.cab for 98se, but unfortunately ie's shlwapi.dll is
| inside ie_3.cab which is inside ie_s3.cab in the ie installation files
| so at the very least a double extraction needs to be done using ie
| files. We can't self-extract the update either because that function
| requires 32bit Windows and without a working shlwapi.dll we don't have
| any 32bit Windows. Winfile option fails here too. It's catch 22 all
| over the place.

Absolutely, I hate working with those IE.cab's when two EXTRACTSs are
required to EXTRACT one file, especially as the cab's may not be at the
same location for everyone. And some have a set for both IE5 & IE6. Some
have none! A file may be in different .cab's for IE5 vrs. IE6, too. I
hate it!

| > |
| > | Confusing the issue is the fact that the temporary name given to
| the
| > | new shlwapi.dll file is generated by a process such that we can't
| > | predict the temporary name. When I ran the update here I got
| > | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET2192.TMP for example.
| >
| > I was afraid of that, & it is why I asked him to TYPE his
| > Wininit.ini/.bak out.
|
| I suspected that was your motives there, I just wanted that info out
in
| the open FYI for everybody. I did notice that mine were all
| consecutively numbered where your list showed a skip in the numbering
| meaning we can't even rely on consecutive numbers when we do find the
| start of them.

Right. I'll keep that in mind, that my suspicions were correct about the
numbering. Thanks.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
May 1, 2005 7:25:55 AM

I'm a little surprised that I could influence you enough to reboot!
But since your connection had timed out perhaps it's not all that big a
deal?

I'm very surprised to learn that attributes mean nothing to wininit.ini
becoming wininit.bak file to say the least. I do know for a fact that
it used to happen on a regular basis where at each boot the poster
would complain that he saw the 'Please wait while Setup updates your
configuration files.' message which is the signature of wininit.exe
running. So there must be some other means by which wininit.ini could
not become wininit.bak at least back then. Here and now, nothing I
tried would stop that from occuring. I'm beginning to suspect an
undocumented fix in an update that both you and I are running perhaps?

In another thread Cquirke, describing the loading process of 98 states,
that Windows long filename support is loaded before win.com or
wininit.exe run so who knows what abilities that brings to plate as
well?

But my test with your wininit.ini show that wininit is good at deletion
and not so good at renaming here. In all cases tried with all
attribute situations possible, gunk and gunk1 were deleted with gunk2
and gunk3 remaining as is and unrenamed, I was left with only those two
files. In order to avoid potential confusion I put the file's name in
the file itself so I could verify the renaming occured correctly
without being sidetracked by the similar names of them. I never got to
see that foresight pay off as no file was ever renamed in the dozens of
attempts here. Could you use the file name within the file trick and
do it again once more for me? I can't figure out why it won't work
here like it did for you, unless it didn't do it for you either and you
just think it did?

I then proceeded to do my own testing. Wininit.exe will run from the
boot to DOS prompt and will do the same job that it does running from
win.com as far as I can tell. I then applied the last ie cumulative
update 890923 and renumbered the set1234.tmp file line in wininit.ini
that was to be shlwapi.dll. Upon reboot I was told that shlwapi.dll
could not be found and that there was an error loading Explorer and
that I would have to reinstall Windows. Nothing would work except
Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice. Any other method to close Windows, reboot, or
proceed from the empty desktop with those two uncloseable info boxes
didn't work. I then applied the Winfile fix and was allowed to rename
set1234.tmp to shlwapi.dll using winfile.exe, so as long as one does
not try 32 bit processes with no shlwapi.dll file onboard you can get
by far enough to do that much. I'm sure DOS mode renaming would have
worked as well.

I seem to remember a similar situation where I could not get
wininit.ini to rename files when I was working on an inf file install
of mine - I never found the reason for it there either. Yet when I run
a genuine update the rename process runs fine and as expected...?
There is no difference in the wininit.ini file other than the contents,
I've triple checked everything at this end. Perhaps you could zip up
your test files and send them to me?
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:52:28 PM

Right, I had 4 files, in "C:\Windows\Temp", & in each was just one line
containing it's name...

(1) Gunk.txt
(2) Gunk1.txt
(3) Gunk2.txt
(4) Gunk3.txt

This was Wininit.ini, in "C:\Windows"...

[Rename]
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt

It was expected to do the following, during a reboot to Windows...

(a) Delete Gunk.txt.
(b) Rename Gunk2.txt to Gunk.txt.
(c) Delete Gunk1.txt.
(d) Rename Gunk3.txt to Gunk1.txt.
(e) Rename Wininit.ini to Wininit.bak

And that is what it did! After the reboot, only Gunk.txt & Gunk1.txt
were present in "C:\Windows\Temp". Inside Gunk.txt was the line "Gunk2".
Inside Gunk1.txt was "Gunk3". Wininit.ini was gone, renamed to
Wininit.bak in "C:\Windows".

But what happens if Wininit.ini is Read-Only (or System or Hidden)?

ANSWER: It didn't matter. There was no difference in outcome, except
Wininit.bak now was attributed HSRA. But this didn't prevent a
subsequent test.

And what happens if one of the .txt files has a forbidden attribute?

ANSWER: It still worked perfectly. No matter it's attributes of HSRA,
Gunk was deleted. Gunk3 (also HSRA) was renamed to Gunk1, no matter. The
files that were renamed did keep their original attributes. So, Gunk now
had them all off & Gunk1 now was all set, per the files they were
renamed from.

Finally, what if one of the text files is not found?

ANSWER: I deleted Gunk & Gunk3, while leaving mention of them intact in
Wininit.ini. Gunk2 was still renamed to Gunk. Gunk1 was deleted, but
could not be replaced. There was no error message about missing files.

In all cases Wininit.ini was renamed to Wininit.bak, even when all of
it's attributes were set... HSRA. Wininit.bak did pick up those
attributes, BUT it lost them again on a subsequent test, was still
deleted.

CONCLUSIONS: Wininit.exe gets whatever work done it possibly can giving
no error messages along the way. Attributes don't matter to it. Missing
files do matter, but it plods along & does what it can do.

| But my test with your wininit.ini show that wininit is good at
| deletion and not so good at renaming here. In all cases tried with
all
| attribute situations possible, gunk and gunk1 were deleted with gunk2
| and gunk3 remaining as is and unrenamed, I was left with only those
| two files.

| I've triple checked everything at this end. Perhaps you could zip up
| your test files and send them to me?

Huh? Post Wininit.bak for examination. Don't forget: Wininit.ini needs
to be in "C:\Windows" to work. The Gunk files are just what you said,
one line inside with it's original name.

| I then proceeded to do my own testing.

| I then applied the Winfile fix and was allowed to rename
| set1234.tmp to shlwapi.dll using winfile.exe, so as long as one does
| not try 32 bit processes with no shlwapi.dll file onboard you can get
| by far enough to do that much. I'm sure DOS mode renaming would have
| worked as well.

I see. So, if one is not there to rename, an EXTRACT must be done. After
that, an over-install of IE is likely a good idea too, just in case
other files were mussed.

--
> [...]
| proceed from the empty desktop with those two uncloseable info boxes
| didn't work. I then applied the Winfile fix and was allowed to rename
| set1234.tmp to shlwapi.dll using winfile.exe, so as long as one does
| not try 32 bit processes with no shlwapi.dll file onboard you can get
| by far enough to do that much. I'm sure DOS mode renaming would have
| worked as well.
|
| I seem to remember a similar situation where I could not get
| wininit.ini to rename files when I was working on an inf file install
| of mine - I never found the reason for it there either. Yet when I
run
| a genuine update the rename process runs fine and as expected...?
| There is no difference in the wininit.ini file other than the
contents,
| I've triple checked everything at this end. Perhaps you could zip up

May 3, 2005 5:22:34 AM

PCR wrote:

> Huh? Post Wininit.bak for examination. Don't forget: Wininit.ini
needs
> to be in "C:\Windows" to work. The Gunk files are just what you said,
> one line inside with it's original name.

Yes, of course, jeeze. After two days of beating my head against the
wall it finally works here as you posted. To show the extent to which
I tried about everything, I reverted my script package to the first 5.6
that came with ie6 AND my Windows Installer to version 1 trying to
double guess where your system might be in an attempt to get
wininit.ini working here like it does at your end. No go, so...

Knowing you wanted me to post my wininit.bak file and knowing that
you've already posted the same file twice already as wininit.ini file I
wanted to be double sure that mine WAS the same as yours. Ten minutes
ago I copy/pasted yours again from this thread and named it wini.ini
and put it in the TEMP folder and then did a DOS box file compare on it
with fc command against the wininit.ini that I had been using. That
showed me both files (there WAS a difference). Then I opened each with
a hex editor and noticed that they did not end at the same place so I
then adjusted one for a missing blank line at the start but even this
did not 'fix' the situation - they were still different!

I found interjected into each non-NULL line, the byte AD in the word
WINDOWS in source file path - and that was it. DOS's fc command showed
the byte as a funny line inside the word Windows but notepad ignores it
completly such that one can not 'see' it whatsoever. This confirms a
long held assumption on my part that some non-alpha characters can
inhabit text files and cause havoc amoung them. Once I corrected the
situation and had a pure text file, wininit.ini as posted worked here
exactly as you have posted.

This also vindicates my position somewhat as defective wininit.ini
files can cause the shlwapi.dll missing condition to occur. As to what
is causing the corruption of wininit.ini is anybody's guess at this
point but I still favor a very old version of advpack.dll. How mine
got corrupted, I do not know but it was copied and pasted from this
thread originally. I kept it in a zip file along with the gunk series
such that I could repeat the test quite easily. Somehow with resaving
the zip file with various modified contents that I tried, corruption
got into it early on and I could not see it with notepad.

> | I then proceeded to do my own testing.
>
> | I then applied the Winfile fix and was allowed to rename
> | set1234.tmp to shlwapi.dll using winfile.exe, so as long as one
does
> | not try 32 bit processes with no shlwapi.dll file onboard you can
get
> | by far enough to do that much. I'm sure DOS mode renaming would
have
> | worked as well.
>
> I see. So, if one is not there to rename, an EXTRACT must be done.
After
> that, an over-install of IE is likely a good idea too, just in case
> other files were mussed.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net

The other mussed files would only be those in the same update so I
would recommend reapplying the update, reinstalling ie, although a good
idea anytime if you ask me, is not particularly called for.

Just to see what this looks like, here is my corrupt wininit.ini file.

[Rename]
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WI­NDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\W­INDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt

Looks like the same file to me, I doubt Google Groups will show the
corruption but I had to try it. Want a copy?
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:39:27 PM

Using the one copied out of my original post vrs. the original...

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>fc wininit.ini bwin.ini /n
Comparing files Wininit.ini and bwin.ini
FC: no differences encountered

Using the one you just posted (below, which looks fine in OE)...

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>fc wininit.ini bwin.ini /n
Comparing files Wininit.ini and bwin.ini
****** Wininit.ini
2: NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
3: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
4: NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
5: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt
****** bwin.ini
2: NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
3: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WI¡NDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
4: NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
5: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\W¡INDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt
******

....FC seems to find a difference in each line but line 1. However, in
Notepad,-- unlike in OE--, I CAN see that the word "Windows" is mussed
as you say, looking like it has a dash (-) between "W" & "I" JUST where
FC is showing "¡". I cannot see what is wrong with the "NUL=" lines,
though.

I guess it's your compression app at fault.

| The other mussed files would only be those in the same update
| so I would recommend reapplying the update, reinstalling ie,
| although a good idea anytime if you ask me, is not particularly
| called for.

OK, fine.

--

!