Shlwapi DLL not found

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help.

I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.

I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:dll not found

I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.

I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.

I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.

Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!

Thanks

--
npr1uk
npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581

    You mean...?...
    MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-020.mspx

    Below is Wininit.ini, after taking the new IE cumulative, but before a
    reboot. It deletes C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL, & then renames
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP to it. Can something have gone wrong?

    (1) Boot to DOS
    (Hold CTRL as you boot, & select Command Prompt Only.)
    (2) SMARTDRV
    (3) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.ini
    Wininit.ini is used to manipulate files during a reboot that cannot
    be touched while Windows is running.
    (4) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.bak
    Normally, Wininit.ini is renamed to Wininit.bak after it has done
    it's work during boot.
    (5) DIR C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
    (6) DIR C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP

    Report your results.

    [Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61C5.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D0.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D1.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D3.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D5.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D6.TMP

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

    | Hi all,
    |
    | Hopefully someone can help.
    |
    | I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
    | then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
    |
    | I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:dll not found
    |
    | I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
    |
    | I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
    |
    | I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
    |
    | Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
    |
    | Thanks
    |

    | --
    | npr1uk
    | npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
    | View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
    | Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

    Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
    95 boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for extracting
    files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
    CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and restart.

    extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL

    Ben

    "npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com...

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Hopefully someone can help.
    >
    > I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
    > then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
    >
    > I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:dll not found
    >
    > I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
    >
    > I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
    >
    > I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
    >
    > Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > npr1uk
    > npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
    > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
    > Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

    Correction.

    Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
    95b boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for extracting

    "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message news:e1gmU6LSFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
    95 boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for extracting
    files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
    CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and restart.

    extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL

    Ben

    "npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com...

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Hopefully someone can help.
    >
    > I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
    > then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
    >
    > I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:dll not found
    >
    > I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
    >
    > I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
    >
    > I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
    >
    > Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > npr1uk
    > npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
    > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
    > Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

    Where has npr1uk gone to, Myers? I await a report of his results!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
    Correction.

    Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
    95b boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
    extracting
    files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
    CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and
    restart.

    extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL

    Ben

    "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
    Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
    95 boot floppy. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
    extracting
    files. Use it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 98
    CD, type the following line, press "Enter", then remove the floppy and
    restart.

    extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab SHLWAPI.DLL

    Ben

    "npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Hopefully someone can help.
    >
    > I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night and
    > then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
    >
    > I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:dll not found
    >
    > I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
    >
    > I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
    >
    > I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load it.
    >
    > Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > npr1uk
    > npr1uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5581
    > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=84891
    > Visit - http://forums.techarena.in

    Hi-ya PCR Pro,
    Sorry to intrude on your post here but.......
    quick favor pls., do a find for a .DLL plse.
    Do you have mswebapi.dll installed, if so, where is the location ???

    Thanks, Star

    "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi-ya PCR Pro,
    > Sorry to intrude on your post here but.......
    > quick favor pls., do a find for a .DLL plse.
    > Do you have mswebapi.dll installed, if so, where is the location ???
    >
    > Thanks, Star

    Butting in,
    I run Win98SE and I don't have that file on my PC.
    Buffalo

    > > Do you have mswebapi.dll installed, if so, where is the location ???
    > >
    > I run Win98SE and I don't have that file on my PC.
    > Buffalo

    It is a Microsoft Personal Web Server file.

    PWS is optional.

    Nope, don't have it, like Buffalo. It isn't in the Win98SE .cab files,
    either. Must be as Candlin said, & it comes with something else.

    --
> [...]
    and
    | > restart.
    | >
    | > extract /y /a /L c:\windows\system R:\win98\base4.cab
    SHLWAPI.DLL

    | > Ben
    | >
    | > "npr1uk" <npr1uk.1nu4b0@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
    | > >
    | > > Hi all,
    | > >
    | > > Hopefully someone can help.
    | > >
    | > > I dowloaded the latest critical update for my PC the other night
    and
    | > > then had a problem next time I switched on my PC.
    | > >
    | > > I got an error message saying C\\windows\system\shlwapi:dll not
    found

    | > > I clicked on the message and it then said resinstall windows.
    | > >
    | > > I could do nothing else as the screen froze and I could not exit.
    | > >
    | > > I have the windows 98 cd but nothing happens when I try to load
    it.

    | > > Any tips please? In very simple language if possible!

    You've got a little misinformation going there PCR. Wininit.ini is
    made at the time the update is run and is fully accessable in Windows
    before the machine is shutdown to finish installing the update. AND it
    does nothing until win.com calls wininit.exe while still in DOS mode at
    the next bootup - THEN it deletes the 'in use' files at the time the
    update was run and then is supposed to rename the new replacement
    files.

    For some reason the renaming process then fails and too many people
    wind up with shlwapi.dll missing - it would be really nice to find out
    why.

    Used to be that somehow wininit.ini file would be set to readonly
    (perhaps hidden?) attribute and thus could not be renamed to
    wininit.bak file and thus it would repeat at each boot. That problem
    seems to have just 'gone away' somehow.

    You know something? At the old V3 update site, I remember downloading
    some dozen or so versions of advpack.dll which is responsible for
    writing wininit.ini file and ever since ie 6 SP1 came out there has not
    been a higher version (6.00.2800.1106) of it for us 98 users. I'm just
    wondering out loud if both problems could be due to an older version of
    advpack.dll? It seems like for a while back in the V3 days they had a
    new version every week and now no offerings anywhere? There has got to
    be reasons why they kept kicking out newer versions....

    Another tidbit that might mean something is that usually in updates
    they include advpack.dll file so it can be used by the update to do the
    work - advpack.dll is missing from cumulative updates and thus the
    machine must rely on the file found in the System folder instead.
    Hmm... stranger and stranger? Updates are also written such that even
    if advpack.dll is 'onboard' it is not copied to the System folder
    anyway and thus MS is missing a great opportunity to fix everybody's
    advpack.dll version situation. But then...

    Update 891711 version 2 has advpack.dll but it's version is
    4.72.2811.0, hows that for an old file and who would want it?

    Quick check - what's your version of advpack.dll in your Windows\System
    folder? I replaced mine manually, so I'm wondering what versions
    anybody else has by default? THIS may be it!!?

    If you want version 6.00.2800.1106 advpack.dll file just extract it
    from ie6setup.exe using WinZip and place it in your system folder. No
    need to register it. It's been working great here for years.

    Thanks for doing a find for this .DLL, confirms what I suspected...

    Star

    "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    | You've got a little misinformation going there PCR. Wininit.ini is
    | made at the time the update is run and is fully accessable in Windows
    | before the machine is shutdown to finish installing the update. AND
    it
    | does nothing until win.com calls wininit.exe while still in DOS mode
    at
    | the next bootup - THEN it deletes the 'in use' files at the time the
    | update was run and then is supposed to rename the new replacement
    | files.

    What did I say?

    | For some reason the renaming process then fails and too many people
    | wind up with shlwapi.dll missing - it would be really nice to find out
    | why.

    Indeed.

    | Used to be that somehow wininit.ini file would be set to readonly
    | (perhaps hidden?) attribute and thus could not be renamed to
    | wininit.bak file and thus it would repeat at each boot. That problem
    | seems to have just 'gone away' somehow.

    Well, if npr1uk is still with us, that could be an item to check.
    Certainly Wininit.ini must not be Read-Only, if that could happen & if
    it matters to Wininit.exe. (I doubt it could matter whether the file is
    Hidden or System, but may as well check those as well.)

    | You know something? At the old V3 update site, I remember downloading
    | some dozen or so versions of advpack.dll which is responsible for
    | writing wininit.ini file and ever since ie 6 SP1 came out there has
    not
    | been a higher version (6.00.2800.1106) of it for us 98 users. I'm
    just
    | wondering out loud if both problems could be due to an older version
    of
    | advpack.dll? It seems like for a while back in the V3 days they had a
    | new version every week and now no offerings anywhere? There has got
    | be reasons why they kept kicking out newer versions....

    I don't know. I seem to have only two. One is v.4.72.3110.0 that came
    with a Maxtor/Promise Ultra/ATA 100 Adapter Card, for use I suppose in
    the installation of that. It is in the folder that holds it's
    installation files, .dll's, .vxd's, etc. And I did install it, but
    quickly removed it. The other is...

    ADVPACK.DLL
    Desc: ADVPACK
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    Size: 91,136 bytes
    Mod: Thursday, August 29, 2002
    Ver: 6.00.2800.1106

    | Another tidbit that might mean something is that usually in updates
    | they include advpack.dll file so it can be used by the update to do
    the
    | work - advpack.dll is missing from cumulative updates and thus the
    | machine must rely on the file found in the System folder instead.
    | Hmm... stranger and stranger? Updates are also written such that even
    | if advpack.dll is 'onboard' it is not copied to the System folder
    | anyway and thus MS is missing a great opportunity to fix everybody's
    | advpack.dll version situation. But then...

    I can only guess MS is worried some other app may not like it's newer
    advpack.dll.

    | Update 891711 version 2 has advpack.dll but it's version is
    | 4.72.2811.0, hows that for an old file and who would want it?

    I have taken that update, but do not see Advpack.dll v.4.72.2811.0
    around here. I do not believe it is one of the files that comes with
    that update, although the file is used by it...
    .......Quote 891711UN.INF.......
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","Uninstalling
    KB891711",,"RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
    %17%\QFE\%SPKey%\891711UN.INF,FinishUninstall,2,N"
    ....snip...
    AdvPackWarn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
    .......EOQ............................

    | Quick check - what's your version of advpack.dll in your
    Windows\System
    | folder? I replaced mine manually, so I'm wondering what versions
    | anybody else has by default? THIS may be it!!?

    I have your version & did not get it manually.

    PCR wrote:

    > What did I say?

    You said wininit.ini deletes the files while still in Windows - it
    can't. It doesn't run there and the files are in use, even windows
    can't delete them while they are in use. You also said that Windows
    can't access the wininit.ini file when it can, it's a plain jane text
    file as is wininit.bak file.

    > | For some reason the renaming process then fails and too many people
    > | wind up with shlwapi.dll missing - it would be really nice to find
    out
    > | why.
    >
    > Indeed.
    >

    > | Used to be that somehow wininit.ini file would be set to readonly
    > | (perhaps hidden?) attribute and thus could not be renamed to
    > | wininit.bak file and thus it would repeat at each boot. That
    problem
    > | seems to have just 'gone away' somehow.
    >
    > Well, if npr1uk is still with us, that could be an item to check.
    > Certainly Wininit.ini must not be Read-Only, if that could happen &
    if
    > it matters to Wininit.exe. (I doubt it could matter whether the file
    is
    > Hidden or System, but may as well check those as well.)

    DOS can not 'see' hidden attributed files so they can not be found to
    be renamed (in this case) or deleted, I'm sure you already knew this on
    some level? If winint.ini is read only attributed then of course it
    can not be renamed, altered, or deleted. If wininit.ini can not be
    renamed to wininit.bak there is some room to doubt that the
    instructions contained in wininit.ini were carried out fully as we
    outlanders can't know the order that these processes occur.
    Wininit.exe may be written to do all delete functions first and then do
    all rename functions second which would include renaming wininti.ini
    itself to wininit.bak at some point. If there is a catastrophic
    failure/error in the renaming of wininit.ini, it's possible that the
    rest of the files don't get renamed at all. Just me guessing here, but
    it does seem to be that only shlwapi.dll doesn't get renamed and of
    course I have no idea exactly how that happens or could be.

    > | Update 891711 version 2 has advpack.dll but it's version is
    > | 4.72.2811.0, hows that for an old file and who would want it?
    >
    > I have taken that update, but do not see Advpack.dll v.4.72.2811.0
    > around here. I do not believe it is one of the files that comes with
    > that update, although the file is used by it...
    > ......Quote 891711UN.INF.......

    It is INSIDE the update package. Use WinZip to extract it and do a
    version check on it. As I said, most updates are not written to copy
    the file over, they just have it onboard to do the work in case the
    system's advpack.dll is too old or missing. By default, all inf file
    installs look to the current directory for any file functions which
    would be a temporary folder in the TEMP folder which is deleted as soon
    as the update has finished. You can see these by not clicking the
    update's OK box and navigating to the TEMP folder in cases where the
    update waits for an OK to restart or is just giving the user an info
    box. You may have to press F5 to refresh Windows Explorer as well in
    order to see the update's TEMP folder and files inside it.

    > | Quick check - what's your version of advpack.dll in your
    > Windows\System
    > | folder? I replaced mine manually, so I'm wondering what versions
    > | anybody else has by default? THIS may be it!!?
    >
    > I have your version & did not get it manually.

    I would hope so, but as I'm still ie 5.50 SP2 it would be a bit odd for
    me to have unless I did do it manually. Advpack.dll is on a file list
    in the ie6setup files so I am going to assume that anyone that properly
    installed ie6 will have at least version 6.00.2800.1106. But it's very
    nice to actually see that this IS the case, thanks. Now if ie6 is NOT
    properly installed?...

    Back in the day of Gozilla and other purported spyware applications it
    was reported that advpack.dll was one of the Gozilla supplied
    spy/banner adware files and should be deleted at once. This is NOT
    true and one should not delete advpack.dll unless you have a better one
    on hand. Every installation using inf files requires it as well as
    setupx.dll, w95inf16.dll, and w95inf32.dll files.

    As with all 'shlwapi.dll missing' incidents the first thing that should
    be done is to look at wininit.ini and/or wininit.bak files in DOS mode
    first. Then do a search for the temporary file using the name shown in
    wininit.ini file and then one might possibly be able to rename it in a
    real DOS mode session. But by the time the OP knows this, he has
    already 'restored' the wrong version (I guarantee that much) of
    shlwapi.dll from God knows where and wininit.bak has been overwritten
    long ago and thus is of no use in finding why this happens in the first
    place.

    Confusing the issue is the fact that the temporary name given to the
    new shlwapi.dll file is generated by a process such that we can't
    predict the temporary name. When I ran the update here I got
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET2192.TMP for example. I know of no simple batch
    file that we could create to locate the temp name and use that info to
    rename the file(s) automatically. I use 'file(s)' because I don't even
    know if the rest of the files ARE renamed correctly or not. These
    users get sidelined by private email or are too busy reinstalling
    Windows to bother with us all too often. I really doubt npr1uk will
    even look up this thread when he does get back online to see how he
    possibly could have fixed it in all of three minutes...

    | PCR wrote:
    | >
    | > What did I say?
    |
    | You said wininit.ini deletes the files while still in Windows - it
    | can't. It doesn't run there and the files are in use, even windows
    | can't delete them while they are in use. You also said that Windows
    | can't access the wininit.ini file when it can, it's a plain jane text
    | file as is wininit.bak file.

    I said...

    (3) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.ini
    Wininit.ini is used to manipulate files during a reboot that cannot
    be touched while Windows is running.
    (4) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.bak
    Normally, Wininit.ini is renamed to Wininit.bak after it has done
    it's work during boot.

    ...., which isn't as bad as you make it out to be. "Cannot be touched" is
    refering to the files that are in use, such as SHLWAPI.DLL. "During a
    reboot" refers to a point in time before Windows is started to make use
    of the files.

    ....snip

    | > |
    | > | Used to be that somehow wininit.ini file would be set to readonly
    | > | (perhaps hidden?) attribute and thus could not be renamed to
    | > | wininit.bak file and thus it would repeat at each boot. That
    | problem
    | > | seems to have just 'gone away' somehow.
    | >
    | > Well, if npr1uk is still with us, that could be an item to check.
    | > Certainly Wininit.ini must not be Read-Only, if that could happen &
    | if
    | > it matters to Wininit.exe. (I doubt it could matter whether the file
    | is
    | > Hidden or System, but may as well check those as well.)
    |
    | DOS can not 'see' hidden attributed files so they can not be found to
    | be renamed (in this case) or deleted,

    DIR cannot see hidden files, unless "/a" is used.
    RENAME will rename them, once you can spell them correctly.

    Don't rename this one, but...

    C:\>attrib msdos.sys
    A SHR MSDOS.SYS C:\MSDOS.SYS

    C:\>dir msdos.sys
    Directory of C:\
    File not found

    C:\>dir msdos.sys /a
    Directory of C:\
    MSDOS SYS 1,784 06-15-04 6:40p MSDOS.SYS
    1 file(s) 1,784 bytes

    | I'm sure you already knew this on
    | some level? If winint.ini is read only attributed then of course it
    | can not be renamed, altered, or deleted.

    That is true of DOS with respect to the interface we use to access it,
    which is Command.com. HOWEVER, I can think it may be otherwise for
    Wininit.exe, which may not even be using DOS (for all I know). I am not
    going to make a Wininit.ini Read-Only to go testing it, though. Are you
    willing to make up a phony Wininit.ini to delete & rename a file or two,
    make the .ini Read-Only, & reboot?

    | If wininit.ini can not be
    | renamed to wininit.bak there is some room to doubt that the
    | instructions contained in wininit.ini were carried out fully as we
    | outlanders can't know the order that these processes occur.
    | Wininit.exe may be written to do all delete functions first and then
    do
    | all rename functions second which would include renaming wininti.ini
    | itself to wininit.bak at some point. If there is a catastrophic
    | failure/error in the renaming of wininit.ini, it's possible that the
    | rest of the files don't get renamed at all. Just me guessing here,
    but
    | it does seem to be that only shlwapi.dll doesn't get renamed and of
    | course I have no idea exactly how that happens or could be.

    If it's only that one, then there must be something different about it.
    If you fool with a phony Wininit.ini, try messing with the attributes of
    just one file inside. Maybe mess with it's dates too. Wininit.exe may
    just bypass the bad one & process the rest. Might have been nice to see
    an error message, though.

    | > |
    | > | Update 891711 version 2 has advpack.dll but it's version is
    | > | 4.72.2811.0, hows that for an old file and who would want it?
    | >
    | > I have taken that update, but do not see Advpack.dll v.4.72.2811.0
    | > around here. I do not believe it is one of the files that comes with
    | > that update, although the file is used by it...
    | > ......Quote 891711UN.INF.......
    |
    | It is INSIDE the update package. Use WinZip to extract it and do a
    | version check on it.

    ADVPACK.DLL
    Desc: ADVPACK
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    Size: 80,864 bytes
    Mod: Thursday, December 11, 1997 05:33:12 AM
    Ver: 4.72.2811.0

    Yea, yea, that's right, that's where it was. It's MUCH older & did not
    replace (during the installation of KB891711) the one I reported earlier
    in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, which is v.6.00.2800.1106.

    | As I said, most updates are not written to copy
    | the file over, they just have it onboard to do the work in case the
    | system's advpack.dll is too old or missing.

    OK.

    | By default, all inf file
    | installs look to the current directory for any file functions which
    | would be a temporary folder in the TEMP folder which is deleted as
    soon
    | as the update has finished. You can see these by not clicking the
    | update's OK box and navigating to the TEMP folder in cases where the
    | update waits for an OK to restart or is just giving the user an info
    | box. You may have to press F5 to refresh Windows Explorer as well in
    | order to see the update's TEMP folder and files inside it.

    Hmmm. Some day I just might go look!

    | > |
    | > | Quick check - what's your version of advpack.dll in your
    | > Windows\System
    | > | folder? I replaced mine manually, so I'm wondering what versions
    | > | anybody else has by default? THIS may be it!!?
    | >
    | > I have your version & did not get it manually.
    |
    | I would hope so, but as I'm still ie 5.50 SP2 it would be a bit odd
    for
    | me to have unless I did do it manually. Advpack.dll is on a file list
    | in the ie6setup files so I am going to assume that anyone that
    properly
    | installed ie6 will have at least version 6.00.2800.1106. But it's
    very
    | nice to actually see that this IS the case, thanks. Now if ie6 is NOT
    | properly installed?...

    You are welcome. If not properly installed, I guess it would be as you
    said. Most installation packages carry a hidden one of their own.

    | Back in the day of Gozilla and other purported spyware applications it
    | was reported that advpack.dll was one of the Gozilla supplied
    | spy/banner adware files and should be deleted at once. This is NOT
    | true and one should not delete advpack.dll unless you have a better
    one
    | on hand. Every installation using inf files requires it as well as
    | setupx.dll, w95inf16.dll, and w95inf32.dll files.

    OK. One shouldn't under normal circumstances go deleting things on
    rumor, anyhow.

    | As with all 'shlwapi.dll missing' incidents the first thing that
    should
    | be done is to look at wininit.ini and/or wininit.bak files in DOS mode
    | first. Then do a search for the temporary file using the name shown
    in
    | wininit.ini file and then one might possibly be able to rename it in a
    | real DOS mode session. But by the time the OP knows this, he has
    | already 'restored' the wrong version (I guarantee that much) of
    | shlwapi.dll from God knows where and wininit.bak has been overwritten
    | long ago and thus is of no use in finding why this happens in the
    first
    | place.

    Well, let us what npr1uk reports. If his SET???.tmp is intact, then it
    may be renamed. If not, he can try the older Shlwapi.dll from the
    Windows .cab's, or, even better, we may be able to get one out of the IE
    ..cab's.

    | Confusing the issue is the fact that the temporary name given to the
    | new shlwapi.dll file is generated by a process such that we can't
    | predict the temporary name. When I ran the update here I got
    | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET2192.TMP for example.

    I was afraid of that, & it is why I asked him to TYPE his
    Wininit.ini/.bak out.

    | I know of no simple batch
    | file that we could create to locate the temp name and use that info to
    | rename the file(s) automatically. I use 'file(s)' because I don't
    even
    | know if the rest of the files ARE renamed correctly or not.

    I hope we don't have to do each one of the files inside the .ini/.bak.

    PCR wrote:

    > I said...
    >
    > (3) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.ini
    > Wininit.ini is used to manipulate files during a reboot that
    cannot
    > be touched while Windows is running.
    > (4) TYPE C:\Windows\Wininit.bak
    > Normally, Wininit.ini is renamed to Wininit.bak after it has
    done
    > it's work during boot.
    >
    > ..., which isn't as bad as you make it out to be. "Cannot be touched"
    is
    > refering to the files that are in use, such as SHLWAPI.DLL. "During a
    > reboot" refers to a point in time before Windows is started to make
    use
    > of the files.
    >
    > ...snip

    Yes, I see where I did misunderstand this part, sorry.

    > DIR cannot see hidden files, unless "/a" is used.
    > RENAME will rename them, once you can spell them correctly.
    >
    > Don't rename this one, but...
    >
    > C:\>attrib msdos.sys
    > A SHR MSDOS.SYS C:\MSDOS.SYS
    >
    > C:\>dir msdos.sys
    > Directory of C:\
    > File not found
    >
    > C:\>dir msdos.sys /a
    > Directory of C:\
    > MSDOS SYS 1,784 06-15-04 6:40p MSDOS.SYS
    > 1 file(s) 1,784 bytes

    That one CAN be fiddled with while in DOS or Windows but at the next
    bootup, if it is not hidden attributed, all kinds of a mess will
    happen. So as I type this, I'll try various things on it, first is
    plain rename as is.

    ren msdos.sys msdoos.sys
    File not found - msdos.sys

    Then I'll remove the system and readonly attributes leaving only hidden
    attribute.

    attrib -s -r msdos.sys
    C:\msdos.sys A..H. Fri 11-26-2004 2:36:46 am 1,724 bytes
    Files found: 1; altered: 1 in C:\
    Total found: 1; altered: 1
    PS - I'm using attrib.com here not attrib.exe

    ren msdos.sys msdoos.sys
    File not found - msdos.sys

    You didn't try it yourself did you (again)? It looks like I might be
    right this time... You ought nought to mess with my head like this
    PCR, I thought that's the way it was and then when it turns out to be
    true it really does a number on me, I'm so used to being shown wrong
    lately. I'll forgive you if you tell me how you capture your DOS box
    text like that - it lends a certain authority to the posting that I
    feel I'm lacking.

    > | I'm sure you already knew this on
    > | some level? If winint.ini is read only attributed then of course
    it
    > | can not be renamed, altered, or deleted.
    >
    > That is true of DOS with respect to the interface we use to access
    it,
    > which is Command.com. HOWEVER, I can think it may be otherwise for
    > Wininit.exe, which may not even be using DOS (for all I know). I am
    not
    > going to make a Wininit.ini Read-Only to go testing it, though. Are
    you
    > willing to make up a phony Wininit.ini to delete & rename a file or
    two,
    > make the .ini Read-Only, & reboot?

    We don't have to, just search the group for 'wininit' and 'attribute'
    and you'll find some posts instructing people to either remove the
    attribute or delete wininit.ini and reapply the update. This issue
    does have a history HERE, I posted some of those as well.

    > | it does seem to be that only shlwapi.dll doesn't get renamed and of
    > | course I have no idea exactly how that happens or could be.
    >
    > If it's only that one, then there must be something different about
    it.
    > If you fool with a phony Wininit.ini, try messing with the attributes
    of
    > just one file inside. Maybe mess with it's dates too. Wininit.exe may
    > just bypass the bad one & process the rest. Might have been nice to
    see
    > an error message, though.

    I'm not going to 'mess' around either as my system eats updates like
    the cookie monster munches cookies - I don't have the problem. I
    wouldn't know how to replicate a troublesome machine either.

    There is another isssue that may be the cause. DOS batch is known for
    launching apps before the current line has fully completed all it's
    work, Start /W command only works in the DOS box, NOT true DOS mode, so
    it may be that shlwapi.dll file is in the middle of being renamed when
    Windows tries to load it but can't find it because wininit.exe isn't
    yet done with the rename yet. One way to troubleshoot this 'too fast'
    aspect of DOS batch is to launch another instance of command.com and do
    the task that is failing in there, and that is a common practice or
    'fix' FYI. I'm thinking that autoexec.bat should launch wininit.exe
    instead of win.com? I WILL try this. And rerunning wininit.exe from a
    Boot to DOS prompt may work as the simplest fix of all?

    > Well, let us what npr1uk reports. If his SET???.tmp is intact, then
    it
    > may be renamed. If not, he can try the older Shlwapi.dll from the
    > Windows .cab's, or, even better, we may be able to get one out of the
    IE
    > .cab's.

    I made an enemy out of Hugh by suggesting that the ONLY version of
    shlwapi.dll anybody should be suggesting to be restored is the one from
    the update itself, and I still believe that. Since Windows DOES
    required a shlwapi.dll file to even load with, this must all be done in
    true DOS mode or on another machine, unfortunately. The often quoted
    fix is to use winfile or progman to get around the missing shlwapi.dll
    - but this DOESN'T work as you get misleading out of memory errors when
    trying to run the update again or run any other 32bit processes using
    those 16bit apps without a shlwapi.dll file. Trying to reinstall ie
    using winfile or progman is NEVER going to work without a shlwapi.dll
    file, I've tried it. I supose winfile might be used to do the simple
    rename with but getting here requires as much of a book to learn as it
    does to do the rename in DOS mode.
    winfile solution
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=249191

    Wrong versioned substitutes do work (kinda), but should only be
    considered as a temporary fix - one should then reapply the update in
    any event just to be sure you are working with the correct file and
    that the others in the update are correct as well, they ARE a matched
    set. When they are NOT matched you can get BSODs sometimes (not
    always) but for those people totally scared off from applying any more
    updates (especially this one and it DOES need to be reapplied) - you
    loose the security patch that the update was released for, not a wise
    move these days.

    For the record, a 5.00.2614.3500 version shlwapi.dll file can be found
    inside Win98_41.cab for 98se, but unfortunately ie's shlwapi.dll is
    inside ie_3.cab which is inside ie_s3.cab in the ie installation files
    so at the very least a double extraction needs to be done using ie
    files. We can't self-extract the update either because that function
    requires 32bit Windows and without a working shlwapi.dll we don't have
    any 32bit Windows. Winfile option fails here too. It's catch 22 all
    over the place.

    > | Confusing the issue is the fact that the temporary name given to
    the
    > | new shlwapi.dll file is generated by a process such that we can't
    > | predict the temporary name. When I ran the update here I got
    > | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET2192.TMP for example.
    >
    > I was afraid of that, & it is why I asked him to TYPE his
    > Wininit.ini/.bak out.

    I suspected that was your motives there, I just wanted that info out in
    the open FYI for everybody. I did notice that mine were all
    consecutively numbered where your list showed a skip in the numbering
    meaning we can't even rely on consecutive numbers when we do find the
    start of them.

    | PCR wrote:
    | >
    | > I said...
    ....snip

    | Yes, I see where I did misunderstand this part, sorry.

    OK.

    | > DIR cannot see hidden files, unless "/a" is used.
    | > RENAME will rename them, once you can spell them correctly.
    | >
    | > Don't rename this one, but...
    | >
    | > C:\>attrib msdos.sys
    | > A SHR MSDOS.SYS C:\MSDOS.SYS
    | >
    | > C:\>dir msdos.sys
    | > Directory of C:\
    | > File not found
    | >
    | > C:\>dir msdos.sys /a
    | > Directory of C:\
    | > MSDOS SYS 1,784 06-15-04 6:40p MSDOS.SYS
    | > 1 file(s) 1,784 bytes
    |
    | That one CAN be fiddled with while in DOS or Windows but at the next
    | bootup, if it is not hidden attributed, all kinds of a mess will
    | happen. So as I type this, I'll try various things on it, first is
    | plain rename as is.
    |
    | ren msdos.sys msdoos.sys
    | File not found - msdos.sys
    |
    | Then I'll remove the system and readonly attributes leaving only
    hidden
    | attribute.
    |
    | attrib -s -r msdos.sys
    | C:\msdos.sys A..H. Fri 11-26-2004 2:36:46 am 1,724 bytes
    | Files found: 1; altered: 1 in C:\
    | Total found: 1; altered: 1
    | PS - I'm using attrib.com here not attrib.exe

    I seem not to have one of those!

    | ren msdos.sys msdoos.sys
    | File not found - msdos.sys
    |
    | You didn't try it yourself did you (again)?

    Uh-oh. That's right. I had fun with MSDOS.sys quite a while ago, but
    forgot. Sorry to put you through it. Apparently, one must remove three
    attributes before some DOS commands, such as RENAME, can operate on
    MSDOS.sys. Those are: Hidden, System, & Read-Only. It's the same for all
    files. I suppose it's the same for DELETE.

    | It looks like I might be
    | right this time... You ought nought to mess with my head like this

    You're right some DOS commands can't operate on files that are
    attributed Hidden/System/Read-Only until the attribute(s) is removed.
    But does it apply to Wininit.exe, when it does a RENAME of Wininit.ini
    to Wininit.bak? Or when it DELETE/RENAME's a file inside Wininit.ini?
    Maybe. (I don't know.) Now, I do know; see below.

    | PCR, I thought that's the way it was and then when it turns out to be
    | true it really does a number on me, I'm so used to being shown wrong
    | lately. I'll forgive you if you tell me how you capture your DOS box
    | text like that - it lends a certain authority to the posting that I
    | feel I'm lacking.

    (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
    (b) Wininit.exe/?
    (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
    results.

    C:\>Wininit.exe/?
    Windows Setup Initialization Utility.
    (But who knows how I work?)

    | > | I'm sure you already knew this on
    | > | some level? If winint.ini is read only attributed then of course
    | it
    | > | can not be renamed, altered, or deleted.
    | >
    | > That is true of DOS with respect to the interface we use to access
    | it,
    | > which is Command.com. HOWEVER, I can think it may be otherwise for
    | > Wininit.exe, which may not even be using DOS (for all I know). I am
    | not
    | > going to make a Wininit.ini Read-Only to go testing it, though. Are
    | you
    | > willing to make up a phony Wininit.ini to delete & rename a file or
    | two,
    | > make the .ini Read-Only, & reboot?
    |
    | We don't have to, just search the group for 'wininit' and 'attribute'
    | and you'll find some posts instructing people to either remove the
    | attribute or delete wininit.ini and reapply the update. This issue
    | does have a history HERE, I posted some of those as well.

    I don't know. Maybe I'll try it...

    [Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt

    If that is Wininit.ini in C:\Windows, it would (during a reboot)...

    (a) Delete Gunk.txt.
    (b) Rename Gunk2.txt to Gunk.txt.
    (c) Delete Gunk1.txt.
    (d) Rename Gunk3.txt to Gunk1.txt.
    (e) Rename Wininit.ini to Wininit.bak

    But what happens if Wininit.ini is Read-Only (or System or Hidden)?
    ANSWER: I've tested it now, & it all worked no matter the attributes of
    Wininit.ini. I had them all set!

    And what happens if one of the .txt files has a forbidden attribute?
    ANSWER: I set the attributes of Gunk & Gunk3 to HSRA. It still worked
    perfectly, but Gunk1 picked up the attributes of Gunk3 as well as it's
    contents.

    Finally, what if one of the text files is not found?
    ANSWER: I deleted Gunk & Gunk3, while leaving mention of them intact in
    Wininit.ini. Gunk2 was still renamed to Gunk. Gunk1 was deleted. There
    was no error message about missing files.

    In all cases Wininit.ini was renamed to Wininit.bak, even when all of
    it's attributes were set... HSRA. Wininit.bak does not have those
    attributes now. (But I didn't check directly after the critical test,
    the one where Wininit.ini had them set.)

    CONCLUSIONS: Wininit.exe gets whatever work done it possibly can giving
    no error messages along the way. Attributes don't matter to it. Missing
    files do matter, but it plods along. Looking at...

    [Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61C5.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D0.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D1.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D3.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D5.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D6.TMP

    npr1uk would get the effect he reports if C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
    did not exist.

    | > | it does seem to be that only shlwapi.dll doesn't get renamed and
    of
    | > | course I have no idea exactly how that happens or could be.
    | >
    | > If it's only that one, then there must be something different about
    | it.
    | > If you fool with a phony Wininit.ini, try messing with the
    attributes
    | of
    | > just one file inside. Maybe mess with it's dates too. Wininit.exe
    may
    | > just bypass the bad one & process the rest. Might have been nice to
    | see
    | > an error message, though.
    |

    | I'm not going to 'mess' around either as my system eats updates like
    | the cookie monster munches cookies - I don't have the problem. I
    | wouldn't know how to replicate a troublesome machine either.

    Could be dangerous to fool with Wininit.ini. (But someone once said he
    did, & now so have I.)

    | There is another isssue that may be the cause. DOS batch is known for
    | launching apps before the current line has fully completed all it's
    | work, Start /W command only works in the DOS box, NOT true DOS mode,
    so
    | it may be that shlwapi.dll file is in the middle of being renamed when
    | Windows tries to load it but can't find it because wininit.exe isn't
    | yet done with the rename yet. One way to troubleshoot this 'too fast'
    | aspect of DOS batch is to launch another instance of command.com and
    do
    | the task that is failing in there, and that is a common practice or
    | 'fix' FYI. I'm thinking that autoexec.bat should launch wininit.exe
    | instead of win.com? I WILL try this. And rerunning wininit.exe from
    | Boot to DOS prompt may work as the simplest fix of all?

    Carefully, I await your results. Well, I've been thrown offline by
    Netzero. Guess I'll go test a Wininit.ini. Let it be on your head, Lee,
    if I blow myself up!

    | > Well, let us what npr1uk reports. If his SET???.tmp is intact, then
    | it
    | > may be renamed. If not, he can try the older Shlwapi.dll from the
    | > Windows .cab's, or, even better, we may be able to get one out of
    the
    | IE
    | > .cab's.
    |
    | I made an enemy out of Hugh by suggesting that the ONLY version of
    | shlwapi.dll anybody should be suggesting to be restored is the one
    from
    | the update itself, and I still believe that. Since Windows DOES
    | required a shlwapi.dll file to even load with, this must all be done
    in
    | true DOS mode or on another machine, unfortunately. The often quoted
    | fix is to use winfile or progman to get around the missing shlwapi.dll
    | - but this DOESN'T work as you get misleading out of memory errors
    when
    | trying to run the update again or run any other 32bit processes using
    | those 16bit apps without a shlwapi.dll file. Trying to reinstall ie
    | using winfile or progman is NEVER going to work without a shlwapi.dll
    | file, I've tried it. I supose winfile might be used to do the simple
    | rename with but getting here requires as much of a book to learn as it
    | does to do the rename in DOS mode.
    | winfile solution
    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=249191
    |
    | Wrong versioned substitutes do work (kinda), but should only be
    | considered as a temporary fix - one should then reapply the update in
    | any event just to be sure you are working with the correct file and
    | that the others in the update are correct as well, they ARE a matched
    | set. When they are NOT matched you can get BSODs sometimes (not
    | always) but for those people totally scared off from applying any more
    | updates (especially this one and it DOES need to be reapplied) - you
    | loose the security patch that the update was released for, not a wise
    | move these days.

    Yea, I think it best to over-install IE at the earliest opportunity,
    hopefully getting all the file versions right.

    | For the record, a 5.00.2614.3500 version shlwapi.dll file can be found
    | inside Win98_41.cab for 98se, but unfortunately ie's shlwapi.dll is
    | inside ie_3.cab which is inside ie_s3.cab in the ie installation files
    | so at the very least a double extraction needs to be done using ie
    | files. We can't self-extract the update either because that function
    | requires 32bit Windows and without a working shlwapi.dll we don't have
    | any 32bit Windows. Winfile option fails here too. It's catch 22 all
    | over the place.

    Absolutely, I hate working with those IE.cab's when two EXTRACTSs are
    required to EXTRACT one file, especially as the cab's may not be at the
    same location for everyone. And some have a set for both IE5 & IE6. Some
    have none! A file may be in different .cab's for IE5 vrs. IE6, too. I
    hate it!

    | > |
    | > | Confusing the issue is the fact that the temporary name given to
    | the
    | > | new shlwapi.dll file is generated by a process such that we can't
    | > | predict the temporary name. When I ran the update here I got
    | > | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET2192.TMP for example.
    | >
    | > I was afraid of that, & it is why I asked him to TYPE his
    | > Wininit.ini/.bak out.
    |
    | I suspected that was your motives there, I just wanted that info out
    in
    | the open FYI for everybody. I did notice that mine were all
    | consecutively numbered where your list showed a skip in the numbering
    | meaning we can't even rely on consecutive numbers when we do find the
    | start of them.

    Right. I'll keep that in mind, that my suspicions were correct about the
    numbering. Thanks.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net

    I'm a little surprised that I could influence you enough to reboot!
    But since your connection had timed out perhaps it's not all that big a
    deal?

    I'm very surprised to learn that attributes mean nothing to wininit.ini
    becoming wininit.bak file to say the least. I do know for a fact that
    it used to happen on a regular basis where at each boot the poster
    would complain that he saw the 'Please wait while Setup updates your
    configuration files.' message which is the signature of wininit.exe
    running. So there must be some other means by which wininit.ini could
    not become wininit.bak at least back then. Here and now, nothing I
    tried would stop that from occuring. I'm beginning to suspect an
    undocumented fix in an update that both you and I are running perhaps?

    In another thread Cquirke, describing the loading process of 98 states,
    that Windows long filename support is loaded before win.com or
    wininit.exe run so who knows what abilities that brings to plate as
    well?

    But my test with your wininit.ini show that wininit is good at deletion
    and not so good at renaming here. In all cases tried with all
    attribute situations possible, gunk and gunk1 were deleted with gunk2
    and gunk3 remaining as is and unrenamed, I was left with only those two
    files. In order to avoid potential confusion I put the file's name in
    the file itself so I could verify the renaming occured correctly
    without being sidetracked by the similar names of them. I never got to
    see that foresight pay off as no file was ever renamed in the dozens of
    attempts here. Could you use the file name within the file trick and
    do it again once more for me? I can't figure out why it won't work
    here like it did for you, unless it didn't do it for you either and you
    just think it did?

    I then proceeded to do my own testing. Wininit.exe will run from the
    boot to DOS prompt and will do the same job that it does running from
    win.com as far as I can tell. I then applied the last ie cumulative
    update 890923 and renumbered the set1234.tmp file line in wininit.ini
    that was to be shlwapi.dll. Upon reboot I was told that shlwapi.dll
    could not be found and that there was an error loading Explorer and
    that I would have to reinstall Windows. Nothing would work except
    Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice. Any other method to close Windows, reboot, or
    proceed from the empty desktop with those two uncloseable info boxes
    didn't work. I then applied the Winfile fix and was allowed to rename
    set1234.tmp to shlwapi.dll using winfile.exe, so as long as one does
    not try 32 bit processes with no shlwapi.dll file onboard you can get
    by far enough to do that much. I'm sure DOS mode renaming would have
    worked as well.

    I seem to remember a similar situation where I could not get
    wininit.ini to rename files when I was working on an inf file install
    of mine - I never found the reason for it there either. Yet when I run
    a genuine update the rename process runs fine and as expected...?
    There is no difference in the wininit.ini file other than the contents,
    I've triple checked everything at this end. Perhaps you could zip up
    your test files and send them to me?

    Right, I had 4 files, in "C:\Windows\Temp", & in each was just one line
    containing it's name...

    (1) Gunk.txt
    (2) Gunk1.txt
    (3) Gunk2.txt
    (4) Gunk3.txt

    This was Wininit.ini, in "C:\Windows"...

    [Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt

    It was expected to do the following, during a reboot to Windows...

    (a) Delete Gunk.txt.
    (b) Rename Gunk2.txt to Gunk.txt.
    (c) Delete Gunk1.txt.
    (d) Rename Gunk3.txt to Gunk1.txt.
    (e) Rename Wininit.ini to Wininit.bak

    And that is what it did! After the reboot, only Gunk.txt & Gunk1.txt
    were present in "C:\Windows\Temp". Inside Gunk.txt was the line "Gunk2".
    Inside Gunk1.txt was "Gunk3". Wininit.ini was gone, renamed to
    Wininit.bak in "C:\Windows".

    But what happens if Wininit.ini is Read-Only (or System or Hidden)?

    ANSWER: It didn't matter. There was no difference in outcome, except
    Wininit.bak now was attributed HSRA. But this didn't prevent a
    subsequent test.

    And what happens if one of the .txt files has a forbidden attribute?

    ANSWER: It still worked perfectly. No matter it's attributes of HSRA,
    Gunk was deleted. Gunk3 (also HSRA) was renamed to Gunk1, no matter. The
    files that were renamed did keep their original attributes. So, Gunk now
    had them all off & Gunk1 now was all set, per the files they were
    renamed from.

    Finally, what if one of the text files is not found?

    ANSWER: I deleted Gunk & Gunk3, while leaving mention of them intact in
    Wininit.ini. Gunk2 was still renamed to Gunk. Gunk1 was deleted, but
    could not be replaced. There was no error message about missing files.

    In all cases Wininit.ini was renamed to Wininit.bak, even when all of
    it's attributes were set... HSRA. Wininit.bak did pick up those
    attributes, BUT it lost them again on a subsequent test, was still
    deleted.

    CONCLUSIONS: Wininit.exe gets whatever work done it possibly can giving
    no error messages along the way. Attributes don't matter to it. Missing
    files do matter, but it plods along & does what it can do.

    | But my test with your wininit.ini show that wininit is good at
    | deletion and not so good at renaming here. In all cases tried with
    all
    | attribute situations possible, gunk and gunk1 were deleted with gunk2
    | and gunk3 remaining as is and unrenamed, I was left with only those
    | two files.

    | I've triple checked everything at this end. Perhaps you could zip up
    | your test files and send them to me?

    Huh? Post Wininit.bak for examination. Don't forget: Wininit.ini needs
    to be in "C:\Windows" to work. The Gunk files are just what you said,
    one line inside with it's original name.

    | I then proceeded to do my own testing.

    | I then applied the Winfile fix and was allowed to rename
    | set1234.tmp to shlwapi.dll using winfile.exe, so as long as one does
    | not try 32 bit processes with no shlwapi.dll file onboard you can get
    | by far enough to do that much. I'm sure DOS mode renaming would have
    | worked as well.

    I see. So, if one is not there to rename, an EXTRACT must be done. After
    that, an over-install of IE is likely a good idea too, just in case
    other files were mussed.

    --

    PCR wrote:

    > Huh? Post Wininit.bak for examination. Don't forget: Wininit.ini
    needs
    > to be in "C:\Windows" to work. The Gunk files are just what you said,
    > one line inside with it's original name.

    Yes, of course, jeeze. After two days of beating my head against the
    wall it finally works here as you posted. To show the extent to which
    I tried about everything, I reverted my script package to the first 5.6
    that came with ie6 AND my Windows Installer to version 1 trying to
    double guess where your system might be in an attempt to get
    wininit.ini working here like it does at your end. No go, so...

    Knowing you wanted me to post my wininit.bak file and knowing that
    you've already posted the same file twice already as wininit.ini file I
    wanted to be double sure that mine WAS the same as yours. Ten minutes
    ago I copy/pasted yours again from this thread and named it wini.ini
    and put it in the TEMP folder and then did a DOS box file compare on it
    with fc command against the wininit.ini that I had been using. That
    showed me both files (there WAS a difference). Then I opened each with
    a hex editor and noticed that they did not end at the same place so I
    then adjusted one for a missing blank line at the start but even this
    did not 'fix' the situation - they were still different!

    I found interjected into each non-NULL line, the byte AD in the word
    WINDOWS in source file path - and that was it. DOS's fc command showed
    the byte as a funny line inside the word Windows but notepad ignores it
    completly such that one can not 'see' it whatsoever. This confirms a
    long held assumption on my part that some non-alpha characters can
    inhabit text files and cause havoc amoung them. Once I corrected the
    situation and had a pure text file, wininit.ini as posted worked here
    exactly as you have posted.

    This also vindicates my position somewhat as defective wininit.ini
    files can cause the shlwapi.dll missing condition to occur. As to what
    is causing the corruption of wininit.ini is anybody's guess at this
    point but I still favor a very old version of advpack.dll. How mine
    got corrupted, I do not know but it was copied and pasted from this
    thread originally. I kept it in a zip file along with the gunk series
    such that I could repeat the test quite easily. Somehow with resaving
    the zip file with various modified contents that I tried, corruption
    got into it early on and I could not see it with notepad.

    > | I then proceeded to do my own testing.
    >
    > | I then applied the Winfile fix and was allowed to rename
    > | set1234.tmp to shlwapi.dll using winfile.exe, so as long as one
    does
    > | not try 32 bit processes with no shlwapi.dll file onboard you can
    get
    > | by far enough to do that much. I'm sure DOS mode renaming would
    have
    > | worked as well.
    >
    > I see. So, if one is not there to rename, an EXTRACT must be done.
    After
    > that, an over-install of IE is likely a good idea too, just in case
    > other files were mussed.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net

    The other mussed files would only be those in the same update so I
    would recommend reapplying the update, reinstalling ie, although a good
    idea anytime if you ask me, is not particularly called for.

    Just to see what this looks like, here is my corrupt wininit.ini file.

    [Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WI­NDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\W­INDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt

    Looks like the same file to me, I doubt Google Groups will show the
    corruption but I had to try it. Want a copy?

    Using the one copied out of my original post vrs. the original...

    C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>fc wininit.ini bwin.ini /n
    Comparing files Wininit.ini and bwin.ini
    FC: no differences encountered

    Using the one you just posted (below, which looks fine in OE)...

    C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>fc wininit.ini bwin.ini /n
    Comparing files Wininit.ini and bwin.ini
    ****** Wininit.ini
    2: NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
    3: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
    4: NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
    5: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt
    ****** bwin.ini
    2: NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
    3: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WI¡NDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
    4: NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
    5: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\W¡INDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt
    ******

    ....FC seems to find a difference in each line but line 1. However, in
    Notepad,-- unlike in OE--, I CAN see that the word "Windows" is mussed
    as you say, looking like it has a dash (-) between "W" & "I" JUST where
    FC is showing "¡". I cannot see what is wrong with the "NUL=" lines,
    though.

    I guess it's your compression app at fault.

    | The other mussed files would only be those in the same update
    | so I would recommend reapplying the update, reinstalling ie,
    | although a good idea anytime if you ask me, is not particularly
    | called for.

    OK, fine.

    --

    PCR wrote:

> [...]

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net

    The other mussed files would only be those in the same update so I
    would recommend reapplying the update, reinstalling ie, although a good
    idea anytime if you ask me, is not particularly called for.

    Just to see what this looks like, here is my corrupt wininit.ini file.

    [Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk.txt=C:\WI­NDOWS\TEMP\Gunk2.txt
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Gunk1.txt=C:\W­INDOWS\TEMP\Gunk3.txt

    Looks like the same file to me, I doubt Google Groups will show the
    corruption but I had to try it. Want a copy?

Microsoft Error Message DLL Windows