Sign in with
Your question

Intel lovers vs Amd lovers

Last response: in CPUs
April 26, 2006 12:04:09 AM

Let's face it......some people just buy intel cause they want to buy it regardless of what amd releases. I wonder why this is. Is this because Intel is American and Amd is not? hehe... It's just a fact that Amd has given Intel a damn hard time the last couple of years. Everytime Intel thought to have regained controll over Amd for a long period of time Amd strikes back and do just the opposite. Now you have people who allready start saying that Intel will own soon with some previews of it's next cpu's. It's a bit funny actually to see these people talk cause in fact they still dont get it. Amd will strike back again as soon as those cpu's wil lbe released and will have performance lead for a longer period of time over intel then intel over amd. Oh well...it's good that Intel still has fans.......orelse what would them cpu's cost without Intel? :D 
And no...I'm not an AMD fan.....cause when Intel really starts proofing to be better I will choose Intel even if I'm european :p  So why not end this crap war between amd and intel and just face the real benchmark facts.

ps: excuse me for my bad english as my beer was a bit too tasty and I just had to write this message :p 
April 26, 2006 12:10:48 AM

INTeL and AMD are both American companies. :lol: 
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 117 å Intel
a c 121 À AMD
April 26, 2006 12:20:09 AM

Quote:

Really? Combining that fact with what #1 said AMD must be running under some illegal alien management. Is this a step up for those Mexicans illegally crossing the border?
Related resources
April 26, 2006 12:28:00 AM

This happens all the time, with a wide variety of things, a good example is gaming companies. I will always buy a Nintendo console regardless of what others think or say. Same thing with Sony fans or Microsoft.
April 26, 2006 12:32:52 AM

Quote:

there is almost nothing american in their product, starting with the technology and ending with the used materials.
April 26, 2006 12:37:32 AM

Quote:
Let's face it......some people just buy intel cause they want to buy it regardless of what amd releases. I wonder why this is. Is this because Intel is American and Amd is not? hehe... It's just a fact that Amd has given Intel a damn hard time the last couple of years. Everytime Intel thought to have regained controll over Amd for a long period of time Amd strikes back and do just the opposite. Now you have people who allready start saying that Intel will own soon with some previews of it's next cpu's. It's a bit funny actually to see these people talk cause in fact they still dont get it. Amd will strike back again as soon as those cpu's wil lbe released and will have performance lead for a longer period of time over intel then intel over amd. Oh well...it's good that Intel still has fans.......orelse what would them cpu's cost without Intel? :D 
And no...I'm not an AMD fan.....cause when Intel really starts proofing to be better I will choose Intel even if I'm european :p  So why not end this crap war between amd and intel and just face the real benchmark facts.

ps: excuse me for my bad english as my beer was a bit too tasty and I just had to write this message :p 

Image deleted by moderators - inappropriate language!

8O

lol
April 26, 2006 12:47:03 AM

Here is some free advice.
When torn between drinking more beer, and posting something pointless,
the answer is always MORE BEER!!!

Now, if I would always take my own advice, I would be getting somewhere.
April 26, 2006 12:55:15 AM

I am sure the share holders would beg to differ.
April 26, 2006 1:37:56 AM

For most of my life I bought Intel just because it was a known quantity and the purchase was "comfortable".

Then I began to read about AMD and saw stories about how they were beating Intel at their own game. I stuck with Intel anyway because AMD was mostly sold on boards with VIA chipsets and those setups often had serious problems with graphics cards, even those cards from major companies. That was a huge turn-off for me.

Finally came the nVidia chipset based MBs on which the AMD processors were mounted ... and that finally brought graphics cards / drivers compatibility that was really trouble free for a pleasant change.

That compatibility combined with AMDs absolute "trashing" of the Intel Toaster Ovens that were being sold as CPUs convinced me to gamble with AMD on this last computer ... and I am delighted that I did.

But that decision was a long time coming ... partly for reasons that made sense to me and partly because of the natural resistance to change that accompanies a lot of decisions.

But AMD should make no mistake. If, when it is time for the next computer, Intel has its act together and can show clear advantages over AMD, I'll buy Intel again also.

So I'm not convinced that the "masses" can be easily labeled as Intel Lovers or AMD fan boys as these forums are prone to do. Maybe they are just consumers trying to find their way in the market place.

If I say I like AMD, what I mean is that right now, I like AMD and think it is best. It doesn't mean I'm forever committed to buy AMD no matter what.
April 26, 2006 2:33:46 AM

Quote:
Is this going somewhere?

Hell?
April 26, 2006 3:15:11 AM

Another stupid newb fanboy post.
What should we reply??? Ooooooh, how insightful and articulate!?
Go back to killing what little brain cells you have left with another of your piss warm beers.
April 26, 2006 3:24:10 AM

Buying an AMD product makes your penis bigger, but buying Intel works like those Axe/Tag deodorant commercials--women will literally jump you on the street, because they can smell the Intel on you.
April 26, 2006 3:25:48 AM

Quote:
Buying an AMD product makes your penis bigger, but buying Intel works like those Axe/Tag deodorant commercials--women will literally jump you on the street, because they can smell the Intel on you.

you may smell good, but when they'll discover your small penis, they all will go over AMD users anyway ...
April 26, 2006 3:39:36 AM

there hehe

April 26, 2006 3:57:07 AM

It's kind of funny how so many people post things like "<insert company A> will strike back again as soon as those cpu's will be released and will have performance lead for a longer period of time over <insert company B> then <insert company B> over <insert company A>." Do you seriously think that fabbing a new chip with 150,000,000 - 300,000,000 transistors is cheap or easy? Remember the tides turn. I can't tell you how many different brand video cards I have been through. But I can say every time it was because of performance. Keep in mind once upon a time people were astonished how well the Hammer architecture performed and cried foul.

P.S. Google is your friend.
April 26, 2006 4:17:46 AM

Quote:

Really? Combining that fact with what #1 said AMD must be running under some illegal alien management. Is this a step up for those Mexicans illegally crossing the border? Careful, your treading on thin ice.
April 26, 2006 4:19:11 AM

Quote:
Is this going somewhere?
Yes another intel vs amd flame war thread :roll:
April 26, 2006 4:19:42 AM

Heh....... you'd think some of these characters were shareholders of the company they defend so defiantly instead of 30-year virgins flaming excitedly from within the bowels of their momma's basement :p 
April 26, 2006 4:19:49 AM

Quote:
This is worthy of t3h sigeranature!
April 26, 2006 10:39:23 AM

Science needs to engineer an apathy that targets the Amd vs. Intel debate.
It is very sad that in a world with so much rampant apathy, this pointless debate is immune. Please do your part, and stop giving a sh&t.
April 26, 2006 2:35:09 PM

Quote:
For most of my life I bought Intel just because it was a known quantity and the purchase was "comfortable".

Then I began to read about AMD and saw stories about how they were beating Intel at their own game. I stuck with Intel anyway because AMD was mostly sold on boards with VIA chipsets and those setups often had serious problems with graphics cards, even those cards from major companies. That was a huge turn-off for me.

Finally came the nVidia chipset based MBs on which the AMD processors were mounted ... and that finally brought graphics cards / drivers compatibility that was really trouble free for a pleasant change.

That compatibility combined with AMDs absolute "trashing" of the Intel Toaster Ovens that were being sold as CPUs convinced me to gamble with AMD on this last computer ... and I am delighted that I did.

But that decision was a long time coming ... partly for reasons that made sense to me and partly because of the natural resistance to change that accompanies a lot of decisions.

But AMD should make no mistake. If, when it is time for the next computer, Intel has its act together and can show clear advantages over AMD, I'll buy Intel again also.

So I'm not convinced that the "masses" can be easily labeled as Intel Lovers or AMD fan boys as these forums are prone to do. Maybe they are just consumers trying to find their way in the market place.

If I say I like AMD, what I mean is that right now, I like AMD and think it is best. It doesn't mean I'm forever committed to buy AMD no matter what.

Very well said.
The problem with AMD was that they joined the game too late with less resources. It was very difficult for them to follow Intel and their main adut was the price. Their CPUs and technology was unsupported by the software developers and they were ignored by the big computer houses(well, they are still ignored by the giant - Dell) as much as by Intel. They had some CPUs that were overheating and hanging the systems, the K5 & K6 and those chips were working against their reputation.
Finaly the K7 was the one which was performing same as Intel and costed less. That was the time when the things started to change. Yes, there were only AMD and VIA chipsets which were slower than the chipsets made by Intel for their P3.
When nVidia nForce came, it was not the best chipset. At the same time came the VIA KT266A, which was cheap and significiently faster for DDR memory operations than all others available for K7.
The K8 was another sucessfull system solutuion that was generaly cheaper than the P4 and was performing better. That was the success of AMD, and Intel learned the lession loosing the market for servers and performance desktop computers.
How will be in future, time will tell better than what all of us having no stereotypic and no fanboyistic points of view predict and that is that Intel will take the lead again like it was for many years since they produce chips.
April 26, 2006 3:19:56 PM

Hello people! Is it really as it seems here: No one is looking at the morality of the issue? I don't care what Intel puts out, I will NEVER buy anything from them I am not FORCED to, period. The actions companies like Intel, Microsoft, Walmart, Etc, etc, have taken are completely unethical. Heck, Exxon/Mobil posted its largest profits last quarter, soaking it to us like never before. I don't care who the competitor is, when it was Cyrix, I bought Cyrix, if Samsung comes along with a CPU, I'll have a choice between AMD and Samsung. Not an AMD fanboy, just anti-Intel, etc. Really can't believe the things these companies have forced down our throats and brainwashed us over. If I could game with no hardware support issues in ANY other OS, I would NEVER use a Microsoft product again. Tell me I am not the only one who sees things this way, PLEASE!
April 26, 2006 4:00:07 PM

You are the only one that sees things this way. ;) 

If I don't buy from Intel, I do it because someone else has a better product... not because someone else is the "underdog". I upgraded from a P4 to an Athlon64 because it's better than anything Intel has RIGHT NOW. (Before the Conroe fanbois start in on me). I didn't buy it because Intel has a history of bullying and throwing it's weight around. If Intel were to release a superior product, then I would buy it.
April 26, 2006 4:45:01 PM

Soylent Green, Chinese Tanks, Osama, YOU aren't helping! :( 
April 26, 2006 5:50:16 PM

I don't buy intel for those same reasons, I don't use MS stuff for those reasons, and others as well. But in a capitalist society in order to get rid of those rich companies that do illegal/unethical things, then buy politicians to make it all right in the end, for them anyway, is to not give them more money. So I don't.
April 26, 2006 6:25:59 PM

This topic is completly pointless!!
Amd> made for gaming. Architecture comcentrates on 3D
Intel> made for office users, can DO GREAT SPREADSHEETS. :lol: 
Face it, a true gamer will always gor for AMD.
Intel Just sucks. Ones who cant afford AMD go for Intel :twisted:
April 26, 2006 6:26:59 PM

i thought Intel's price was a little bit more

???
April 26, 2006 6:28:33 PM

Thats because, it is a more commonly known brand and ppl just go for this company. They follow the herd
April 26, 2006 6:29:12 PM

You are making some valid points, in my opinion, but I think the truth of the matter is that reality is often different from the ideal state of affairs.

Like a previous poster said, K5 and K6 tended to overheat. I was one of the users to try one of those chips, as AMD, especially at that time, was the clearly cheaper alternative. The consistent system crashes (and that's with custom, albeit not quite exotic) and some software issues turned me away from AMD for a long while.

Now I'm back on the AMD bandwagon, because their product is superior. And I think this is the criterion most people would use in their decision.

Now, you're right about Intel's unethical (uncompetitive) actions. However, first of all we are too small as a market segment to make any difference one way or the other, and secondly, I would much prefer the regulators to settle the issue. Besides, they (the regulators) are the ones with any real power to make the playing field more level, as any action should not be just punitive with respect to Intel, but should at the same time benefit AMD, that's how greatly the scales are tipped right now in terms of competitive potential (sheer size and the all-important R&D budget).

Recently, it seems that Intel may be on the right track with Conroe (which, however, does not justify the great number of inflammatory threads all over these forums), so AMD would have to respond adequately to keep me, personally, loyal (and probably a great number of other performance oriented users). And I really hope they do, but if they don't, I will consider the alternative, without much regret. Ultimately, it is my price / performance ratio I am concerned with. It is not selfish; I'm paying for it.
April 26, 2006 6:35:17 PM

Quote:
Intel Just sucks. Ones who cant afford AMD go for Intel :twisted:
If Conroe performs the way it’s supposed to, I'll be buying Intel this year. By the way, I fail to see where Intel "sucks"; yes Prescott was not good, but before that Intel has generally had products as good as or better than AMD’s.
April 26, 2006 6:37:50 PM

Sorry to break it to you... but Intel gives exactly squat whether you personally buy their processors or not. Enthusiasts are a tiny speck of the market.

You want to affect Intel's bottom line? Talk to their biggest customers... IE Dell. As long as Dell keeps selling tons of their computers, Intel will continue selling tons of their processors. Intel knows what side their bread is buttered on and whether or not we buy their CPUs, they will still be here.

Even if everyone on THG Forumz stopped buying Intel... Intel wouldn't notice.
April 26, 2006 6:52:52 PM

Quote:
Is this because Intel is American and Amd is not?

hahaha.... umm AMD headquarters is right down the street from my school... in Mountain View/Sunnyvale, CALIFORNIA, USA! (and Intel is just 15 minutes away.)
April 26, 2006 6:57:06 PM

Quote:
ps: excuse me for my bad english as my beer was a bit too tasty and I just had to write this message

ummmm... so you like to peruse the Forums when you drink huh? how fun....

nothing beats writing ignorant topics when your drunk! (Not even sex) =)
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2006 6:58:19 PM

Quote:

For the record...both Intel and AMD are American companies, regardless of where their products are manufactured...Honda makes the Civic in a plant in Ohio, but they're still considered a Japanese company, the same concept applies to Intel and AMD...

Geez, I don't know why I reply to these...I just get sucked in...

ANOTHER POINTLESS THREAD!
April 26, 2006 7:00:53 PM

Quote:
Intel Just sucks. Ones who cant afford AMD go for Intel
:twisted:
Most of this is true, however, I cannot agree with the bolded above. This is the blatant fanboyism that I despise, AMD or otherwise. A true gamer will not always go for AMD, they will go for the best product the fact that AMD currently has the best product is not the point. Neither Intel or AMD suck, they both make mistakes, it is expected for one company to dominate the other about every 3-5 years. Now it is Intels turn with Conroe, big deal, AMD will come around again within the next few years as expected. Your last statement is arguably the most irrational. Both companies have rediculously overpriced top end hardware, and low priced low end hardware which, I might add, are all similarly priced.
April 26, 2006 7:35:35 PM

Quote:
Thats because, it is a more commonly known brand and ppl just go for this company. They follow the herd

It's more commonly known because in every Dell catalouge, it says "Dell uses the Intel Pentium 4 processor". If it said that about the A64, people would buy the AMD.

Personally, I think fanboys are stupid; they kiss a company's @$$ just because they make a fast CPU. AMD fanboys jack off to the specs of the FX60; Intel fanboys jack off to the "benchmarks" of the Conroe.

I got an AMD when my P4 fried because they run cooler and faster than the P4. When my P4 fried, I became somewhat turned off to Intel. In another 3-4 years, when it's time for a new PC, I'll see which company makes a better product for a better price.

Right now, there is no "bad" CPU; some are just better than others. Even a Sempron or Celeron is enough for games as long as they're paired with a decent graphics card. Of course, they can't touch the performance of an FX60, but they're 1/10 of the price, and the game will be playable. If all you're doing is Word, Excel, email, and surfing the web, even a P3 would be good enough.

I have nothing more to say, so I'll stop right here.
April 26, 2006 7:37:12 PM

Quote:
Geez, I don't know why I reply to these...I just get sucked in...

You just summed up all this bullsh!t in one sentence.
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2006 10:06:52 PM

Quote:

This principle goes for a lot of things...not just processors.

[/img]When it comes to the herd buyin/choosing Intel over any other processor, I blame the Blue Man Group! Those blue skinned freaks with their pseudo-tribal-new-age-rhythmic-beats...although, I'd gladly paint my a$$ blue and hock warez for a payday from Intel!
!