VATSIM

Hi Everyone

I have recently joined Vatsim, but i am a little lost with the site, it is
so full of information i have no idea where i need to go to download things
to get flying. If anyone could help me out with where i need to look and
what i need from the web site, as in downloads that would be really great

thanks

1. Documentation: on the VATSIM website, go to "Pilot Resource Center,"
and "Create an Account on the Pilot Resource Center." (Why should you
need a separate account just to read the VATSIM docs? I have no idea.)
There's a lot to read here. Start with:

- VATSIM 103 - Software Setup

- Required Reading

2. Software: download and install Squawbox 3
http://squawkbox.ca/downloads/

-- Are you put off by the reading? VATSIM isn't for you. There are lots
of places for freestyle flying -- Microsoft's Zone, FSHost. VATSIM is
for people who want to interact with something like real-world ATC. If
you aren't a real-world pilot, it _is_ daunting, especially at first.
(I'm not, and it was.) But it's also rewarding: I've met many
interesting people on VATSIM, and learned much about all aspects of
flying from them.

Hi David

Thanks for your response i am going to go and check out the web site now i
will keep you posted.

thanks again

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1122174288.29841@forums.simradar.com...
> 1. Documentation: on the VATSIM website, go to "Pilot Resource Center,"
> and "Create an Account on the Pilot Resource Center." (Why should you
> need a separate account just to read the VATSIM docs? I have no idea.)
> There's a lot to read here. Start with:
>
> - VATSIM 103 - Software Setup
>
> - Required Reading
>
> 2. Software: download and install Squawbox 3
> http://squawkbox.ca/downloads/
>
> -- Are you put off by the reading? VATSIM isn't for you. There are lots
> of places for freestyle flying -- Microsoft's Zone, FSHost. VATSIM is
> for people who want to interact with something like real-world ATC. If
> you aren't a real-world pilot, it _is_ daunting, especially at first.
> (I'm not, and it was.) But it's also rewarding: I've met many
> interesting people on VATSIM, and learned much about all aspects of
> flying from them.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I would agree the site in general is quite poor and could be designed (im
not saying made to look better more a comment on the flow of the site) alot
better

"Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone
>
> I have recently joined Vatsim, but i am a little lost with the site, it is
> so full of information i have no idea where i need to go to download
> things to get flying. If anyone could help me out with where i need to
> look and what i need from the web site, as in downloads that would be
> really great
>
> thanks

The new Squakbox is awesome
If you are not a Pilot and not Familiar with ATC procedures
Vatsim can be daunting but many centers have training and user freindly
beginner days check out Miami ARTC VATSIMUSA tuesdays is beginners
day ,,very helpful

Remember that it is a free service made up of the members
contributions,... so stop complaining on their efforts on the website
and get involved and help out ,, lots of hours and effort is involved
just to get it to where it is today. It is an tremendous assest to
Filght simming and an effort well worth a lot of Praise.

We all need to support them.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:05:02 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

>-- Are you put off by the reading? VATSIM isn't for you. There are lots
>of places for freestyle flying -- Microsoft's Zone, FSHost. VATSIM is
>for people who want to interact with something like real-world ATC. If
>you aren't a real-world pilot, it _is_ daunting, especially at first.

Also, there are Virtual Airlines that conduct On-Line flights & ATC.
Do a Google for Livewire Airlines. You can join, it's free, & fly
multiplayer wit your buddy(ies), or they have ATC also. It's a neat
resource for sim pilots.

Squawk Box is a must. Also Roger Wilco! HostSB dosen't go astray etheir!

Alex

"Chris" <chrisflyer@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I would agree the site in general is quite poor and could be designed (im
>not saying made to look better more a comment on the flow of the site) alot
>better
>
> "Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> I have recently joined Vatsim, but i am a little lost with the site, it
>> is so full of information i have no idea where i need to go to download
>> things to get flying. If anyone could help me out with where i need to
>> look and what i need from the web site, as in downloads that would be
>> really great
>>
>> thanks

william

Alex,

With the new SB3, roger wilco and HostSB are not needed.

cheers
Bill