HELP with which card for editing

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
honestly, i am no expert in the field, but i would recommend getting a current generation card like a x1600 or 7600gs. they may be out of your price range, but they will give you good performance.

speaking of which, i will ask the question to any of you who know, can a video card help in RENDERING (video or 3d animation)? i know it can help in stuff like autocad when scrolling around looking at your model, but does it help in rendering?

Ian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
What sort of inputs do you need the card to have?

The cheaper X800gto is definately a good buy, don't get the X1600XT, way overpriced.

Depending on what you want to spend:

1. X800GTO good deal, beats anything in the price range. Make sure you get one that is no more then $100.

2. X850XT or 7600GT for around $150 would be a big performance increase in gaming.

cleeve

Illustrious
If you're focus is 80% video editing and 20% gaming, the X1600 XT is the easy choice.

Ati's X1x00 generation of cards have excellent DVD playback features as well as accelerated video rendering capabilities with the Avivo software...

Ian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Cleeve wrote:
If you're focus is 80% video editing and 20% gaming, the X1600 XT is the easy choice.

Ati's X1x00 generation of cards have excellent DVD playback features as well as accelerated video rendering capabilities with the Avivo software...

Yeah but it is more expensive then a 7600GT and 850XT. Are the differences in video rendering etc really that much better then those cards?

Cause it isn't like the 7600GT, X850XT, X800GTO etc, have horrible video rendering capabilities, or do they? I'm just saying if you aren't doing like near-professional level stuff, would you really need the extra features, power, of the X1600XT.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Well.... on newegg i did a narrow down search on cards that had VIVO. I havent ever used it but it looks very usefull for what im doing (lots of video editing)

Im getting mixed reviews for that x1600 i picked out...is it good at video editing anyone? Noticeabley better than the cheap x800gto?

In my searches i didnt find the x850xt at all... ill try again.

Essentially what i really want is 1) Dual moniter capability 2) Good editing 3) Lots of connections in and out (vivo?) 4) <$170 5) Also plays games okay (why i wouldnt mod a card to Quadro)

Amnesia

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
sorry that probly wont help, i dont thnk they have dual moniter support.
also i think you will need new gen sm etc, so the x8xx series is a no go...

Ian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
I may not be the right person to be answering your question, but is video editing really that demanding?

Personally I would say get a 7600GT. However as Cleeve said the X1600XT is probably more suited to your needs. It is really hard to say as these kind of comparisons rarely attract the attention of Review Websites or people.

I think you should go ahead and get an X1600XT, you won't be dissapointed. I would try and get one with an active cooling solution though, not that passive one you posted the link too. Sounded like it ran really hot by the reviews there.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
The important question is: what editing software are you running?

Avid's own software (e.g. Xpress DV or HD), for example, only really supports nvidia cards, whereas Edition prefers ATI. I'm not sure about other PC editing software.

cleeve

Illustrious
if ur looking at video editing i heard that quadros are best for it. ****** expensive tho lol ...

Quadros are not the best for video editing, in fact the X1600 would be better.

It is true that the X1x00 series can use AVIVO drivers and the previous Radeons like the X800 cannot.

The real bonus of the X1x00 series with AVIVO is it's ability to speed up video renders, it can make a big difference... say 40 minutes to render a video instead of an hour, from what I've seen. Other than that, Avivo won't be that helpful except for DVD playback (which AVIVO has some really nice features for, too)

But the big feature is video rendering. If you do alot of ripping and re-encoding of video, it's pretty damn useful.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I will be using this as mainly an editing PC...so speeding up rendering times would be great.

The software ill most likely be using is Avid...but i will prolly use a lot of other stuff like Adobe Primeire Pro.

When I do newegg searchs should i stick with VIVO cards, or will other cards of the same model -VIVO work well? Im starting to really hone in on the x1600xt series unless someone says otherwise.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
If it's Avid Xpress DV or Xpress Pro, then you'd better get an nvidia card. If it's Avid Edition (or whatever they call the ex-Pinnacle software) then you should get an ATI card.

For what reason would an Nvidia card be better for Avid Xpress DV or Xpress Pro...?

Yeah, I've seen nothing to confirm the architecture difference. The only difference is Avid has agreements (like TWIMTBP) with nV.

Of course they also acknowledge that it's nV's cards that have a problem with Mitsubishi CRTs (now the best in the Biz with their Diamondtrons since Sony left the biz), so I don't know how much I'd value that stamp of approval.

As for prefering one or the other HW acceleration works on more than just nv's cards (BTW only their Quadros are 'officially supported for 'Avid Warkstations' but you and I both know that means nothing to pro-sumers).

I'd say you're spot on with the X1600XT, that's be my rcommendation too from what's currently avaialable at current prices, or an HIS Pro for the HSF advanatages (but the heatpipe on that XT is intruiging, but likely to get the case warm after extended use even for mildly stressful 2D).