Can I restore a file which was deleted over a remote conne..

Hello there,

I have two computers networked - one running Windows XP and the other 98SE.

I recently accidently deleted a file from one of the hard drives on the 98SE
machine over a remote connection from the XP terminal.

Is there anyway I can restore the file?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

"SpikedJuice" <SpikedJuice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have two computers networked - one running Windows XP and the other
98SE.

> I recently accidently deleted a file from one of the hard drives on the
98SE
> machine over a remote connection from the XP terminal.
>
> Is there anyway I can restore the file?

Win98 Explorer has a simple undelete function.
Browse to the Recycled Bin, right panel, locate
the deleted file , select it and click on Restore.

The risk is that the space it occupied may have
been overwritten by something else. Recovery
can also be effected by:
1 Immediately switching power off
2. Booting DOS from a floppy
3. Use of DOS UNDELete software which works
directly on the File Allocation Table.

The DELete process does not by itself blank the
drive sector occupied by a file. DEL merely
rewrites the DOS filename in the FAT as eILENAME.EXT
instead of FILENAME.EXT, which FAT then
interprets as freeing the space it occupies (also listed
in hex in the FAT) to write new data. So long as the
sector(s) have not been overwritten, all the utility need
do is rewrite in the FAT eILENAME.EXT as FILENAME.EXT.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> Win98 Explorer has a simple undelete function.
> Browse to the Recycled Bin, right panel, locate
> the deleted file , select it and click on Restore.
>
> The risk is that the space it occupied may have
> been overwritten by something else. Recovery
> can also be effected by:

I don't believe this would be a factor "IF" it is still in the Recycle bin, only
if it was deleted from the RB or bypassed the RB when deleted.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }