Can't access the Internet

Hello. I have just re-formatted my HD (20GB WD) and re-installed Win 98SE
using 1.2GHz AMD Athlon CPU with 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM. and am unable to
connect to the internet to run Windows Update on my machine. I have waited
several minutes and the progress bar shows about 1/4 in of blue. If I wait
long enough I eventually get an error msg "Unable to connect, Server has
reset". Can anyone help me please? Jim.
10 answers Last reply
More about access internet

    "Jim Richards" <JWRichards@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I have just re-formatted my HD (20GB WD) and re-installed Win 98SE
    > using 1.2GHz AMD Athlon CPU with 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM. and am unable to
    > connect to the internet to run Windows Update on my machine. I have waited
    > several minutes and the progress bar shows about 1/4 in of blue. If I wait
    > long enough I eventually get an error msg "Unable to connect, Server has
    > reset". Can anyone help me please? Jim.

    In Internet Explorer, click on Tools, then Internet Options
    Click on the Security tab
    Highlight the Trusted Sites icon
    Click on the Sites button

    Copy and paste the following 2 sites,
    one at a time, into the Text Box,
    and click on the Add button each time.

    Click OK twice to close the dialog.

    Close the browser.

    Try again by clicking this link

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

    See http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Jim Richards wrote:
    > Hello. I have just re-formatted my HD (20GB WD) and re-installed Win 98SE
    > using 1.2GHz AMD Athlon CPU with 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM. and am unable to
    > connect to the internet to run Windows Update on my machine. I have waited
    > several minutes and the progress bar shows about 1/4 in of blue. If I wait
    > long enough I eventually get an error msg "Unable to connect, Server has
    > reset". Can anyone help me please? Jim.

    when you re-installed windows di you ensure that the drivers for your
    modem(usually on a disk or cd SEPARATE from the windows cd), NIC(ditto),
    USB modem(ditto) or other network interface were re-installed
    may be obvious if you did remember
    but a real forehead slapper when you dont

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "Jim Richards" <JWRichards@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I have just re-formatted my HD (20GB WD) and re-installed Win 98SE
    > using 1.2GHz AMD Athlon CPU with 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM. and am unable to
    > connect to the internet to run Windows Update on my machine. I have waited
    > several minutes and the progress bar shows about 1/4 in of blue. If I wait
    > long enough I eventually get an error msg "Unable to connect, Server has
    > reset". Can anyone help me please? Jim.

    I thank you Hugh, you said: "Copy and paste the following 2 sites,
    > one at a time, into the Text Box,
    > and click on the Add button each time.

    I don't see the following 2 sites. Am I overlooking something? Jim.

    > I thank you Hugh, you said: "Copy and paste the following 2 sites,
    > > one at a time, into the Text Box,
    > > and click on the Add button each time.
    >
    > I don't see the following 2 sites. Am I overlooking something? Jim.

    No, but I did.

    http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    http://*.windowsupdate.com/

    I am sorry for the omission.

    Simple q's:
    Did you:
    Install latest updated modem/NIC device drivers?
    Setup ISP acct. w/internet app and mail app?
    Install a firewall that needs to be configured?
    Install any popup ad blockers that need to be configured?

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Jim Richards" <JWRichards@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > I thank you Hugh, you said: "Copy and paste the following 2 sites,
    > > > one at a time, into the Text Box,
    > > > and click on the Add button each time.
    > >
    > > I don't see the following 2 sites. Am I overlooking something? Jim.
    >
    > No, but I did.
    >
    > http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >
    > http://*.windowsupdate[BADURL].com/

    windowsupdate.com is *not* a valid Windows Update or Microsoft site, Hugh.

    For Win98, the valid sites one might list in Trusted Sites are:

    http://download.windowsupdate.com

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    I don't see how there would be any problem using "*.windowsupdate.com" as a Trusted site, even though the bare domain doesn't resolve. It still puts http://download.windowsupdate.com into the Trusted Zone.

    Myself, I use "*.microsoft.com" in the Trusted Zone list and have done with it. Probably not the wisest procedure, but I've yet to be bitten.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OKq1b86RFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > > "Jim Richards" <JWRichards@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > I thank you Hugh, you said: "Copy and paste the following 2 sites,
    > > >
    > > > I don't see the following 2 sites. Am I overlooking something? Jim.
    > >
    > > No, but I did.
    > >
    > > http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    > >
    > > http://*.windowsupdate[BADURL].com/
    >
    > windowsupdate.com is *not* a valid Windows Update or Microsoft site, Hugh.
    >
    > For Win98, the valid sites one might list in Trusted Sites are:
    >
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    >
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    >
    > http://download.windowsupdate.com
    >
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > >
    > > http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    > >
    > > http://*.windowsupdate.com/
    >
    > windowsupdate.com is *not* a valid Windows Update or Microsoft site,
    Hugh.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    I didn't state that it was. I didn't even mention it.

    [There is an asterisk in there, which you appear to have missed]

    P.S. I had installed a new CNET PRO200 100/10Mbps Fast Ethernet Card and I
    was never able to get it to work. I got no help from Tech Support where I
    bought it and I went to the CNET website but was unable to find any help
    there. I have now re-installed my old INTL NIC and it is working OK. I don't
    like the INTL because it goes thru a boot sequence that, as far as I can
    tell, just slows down the boot process to Windows. Tomorrow I will take back
    the CNET PRO 200 and get my $10.86 back. Thanks to all for your input. Jim.

    "Jim Richards" <JWRichards@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I thank you Hugh, you said: "Copy and paste the following 2 sites,
    >> one at a time, into the Text Box,
    >> and click on the Add button each time.
    >
    > I don't see the following 2 sites. Am I overlooking something? Jim.
    >
    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jim Richards" <JWRichards@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello. I have just re-formatted my HD (20GB WD) and re-installed Win
    >>> 98SE
    >>> using 1.2GHz AMD Athlon CPU with 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM. and am unable to
    >>> connect to the internet to run Windows Update on my machine. I have
    >>> waited
    >>> several minutes and the progress bar shows about 1/4 in of blue. If I
    >>> wait
    >>> long enough I eventually get an error msg "Unable to connect, Server has
    >>> reset". Can anyone help me please? Jim.
    >>
    >> In Internet Explorer, click on Tools, then Internet Options
    >> Click on the Security tab
    >> Highlight the Trusted Sites icon
    >> Click on the Sites button
    >>
    >> Copy and paste the following 2 sites,