next gen nvidia card

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
what do you guys think will be the next generation nvidia card? i have a sli motherboard (and an ati video card, go figure...), and im wondering about what my final upgrade will be, video card wise. i figure that they will have to come out with something crazy for UT2007 (which is going to be awesome) and krysis (check out the article at bit-tech.net). also, do you think sli implementation will become more effective, as in better performance gains? i welcome all that you can think up about THE FUTURE!

Ian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Assuming PCI-Ex16 doesn't change for a while, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the next few generations of video cards. As for SLI, it will probably become more common due to the SLI physics, however the Ageia physics card will probably be a big competition for it. Short of sli physics taking off though, I would say that SLI will remain a waste of money, and only for those with unlimited budget and who are purchasing high end cards.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Assuming PCI-Ex16 doesn't change for a while, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the next few generations of video cards. As for SLI, it will probably become more common due to the SLI physics, however the Ageia physics card will probably be a big competition for it. Short of sli physics taking off though, I would say that SLI will remain a waste of money, and only for those with unlimited budget and who are purchasing high end cards.

Only reason I haven't called my SLI setup a total loss is this potential for SLI Physics. If I had my druthers I would chalk up my 2nd card to ebay and find something else to do with the case (like buy an opty 165 8O ).

Ian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Yeah the only thing I worry about though is that a single 7800GTX won't be able to really play Crysis etc on decent settings, even with one gpu calculating the physics. I mean, if a 7900GT can't run oblivion on maximum graphics, I can't see any way in hell it would be able to run a dx10 game, ie crysis, on anything above medium-low. Actually I'm not really giving a 7800GT/GTX enough credit, since they have been around for quite some time, and most other high end cards reach a similar fate after a similar amount of time.