Overclocking pentium D 920 dangers

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hey, i want to overclock my pentium D 920 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz but ill need to raise VCore. If i raise it too much, my CPU gonna overvolt and ill cant boot anymore. If i dont raise it enuf, ill can't power up it never anymore. Any tips?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
The general rule is 10% vcore raise is safe, after that it gets hairy w/o good cooling (core specifics withstanding). If you don't raise it enough and it locks and won't boot, just clear the CMOS with the jumper and it will reset every BIOS setting back to standard and it should boot up no problem. I have locked my proc up many times overclocking and every time I have been able to get it back up and running.

Your problem will be cooling. If you can keep it cool while raising the vcore slightly, then your fine, but watch your temps carefuly.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
40°C idle, 80°C On full load.

Hmm that 80C underload really has me concerned, in fact worried. Safety cut offs are usually in the 70c range, 80c is a tad out of control. You might look into a new heatsink before you OC anything.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Yeah, but Intel CPU's have thermal throttling..... it should not be able to get that hot.... they should throttle before they reach that temps.... at least the 820 I had throttled around 75 if I remember correctly..

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Just reset it with the jumper.... usually located next to the mobo battery. move it over to the unused pin and the middle pin..... and then set it back to the original position.

jchen012

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I'm running an intel 830 3ghz at 4.2ghz (watercooled) and didn't have to raise the vcore until around 3.8ghz. If you're trying to go from 2.8 to 3.0, you don't need to raise the vcore, especially on the 9xx series since they use smaller architecture which means less power.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I saw when it hit 80°C, my fan speed are greatly rising speed. That should let the ° stable at 80°C. And can i use clockgen? The only way to see my temps are: Everest Home Edition and BIOS. My FSB is 266 MHz. Bus speed is @ 800 MHz. All stock. My mothercard is edited P5.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I saw when it hit 80°C, my fan speed are greatly rising speed. That should let the ° stable at 80°C. And can i use clockgen? The only way to see my temps are: Everest Home Edition and BIOS. My FSB is 266 MHz. Bus speed is @ 800 MHz. All stock. My mothercard is edited P5.

You may want to think about an aftermarket heatsink for your CPU. 80c is too much, 60C is the upper range most people feel comfratable in, although many like it 50's. Of course if you OC at all you can bet your temps will shoot up even further. Just my opinion :tongue:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
GFX cards are meant to operate at higher temps when compared to CPU's. 60C idle isn't unheard of and 90C isn't too bad either. They are both on the warm side but with in the norm (from what I remember).

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I just buyed my PC stock! And the fans r running faster and faster when °C rising. Dual cores = Double heat.

What brand is it? I beleive that 80C is beyond shutdown point; what program are you using to monitor the temps? When the CPU is getting so hot, open the case and touch the heatsink. If it's not getting hot, you need to get some AS5 and reseat the heatsink to make sure that it's making contact with the CPU. Consider getting an aftermarket cooler; Zalman makes good ones.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I just buyed my PC stock! And the fans r running faster and faster when °C rising. Dual cores = Double heat.

What brand is it? I beleive that 80C is beyond shutdown point; what program are you using to monitor the temps? When the CPU is getting so hot, open the case and touch the heatsink. If it's not getting hot, you need to get some AS5 and reseat the heatsink to make sure that it's making contact with the CPU. Consider getting an aftermarket cooler; Zalman makes good ones.

Brand: HP

Model: HP Media center PC m7350n

Monitor: BIOS and Everest home edition.

Other monitors show 0 C.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Brand: HP

Model: HP Media center PC m7350n

Monitor: BIOS and Everest home edition.

Other monitors show 0 C.

Temperature monitoring software didn't work with my old HP board either. How are you monitoring the temps? Is the heatsink hot?

I'm afraid to say that your chip might be in the process of frying. THe thermal compound that HP uses is crappy, and their cases have bad airflow. I'm not lying to you; my P4 died like that.

Your best bet right now is to get a new case like the Cooler Master Cavalier and some Arctic Silver 5. I own the case; it's great looking and has great airflow. Or you can always contact HP about the temperatures.

knupxfon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006

My dual core x2 3800+ @ 2.5 ghz ran cooler than my single core 3200+ at stock speeds. Dual core doesnt = double heat.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Im not saying they didn't say that to you, rather I am saying 90C is above the safe-zone for processors. I think the highest throttle setting I can set on my mobo is 75C and it starts at 55 or 60C. I have seen the inside of a few HP's and I saw a passive heatsink on a Pentium D and that made me very nervous, espcially since their cases aren't designed for optimum air flow.

Also, I dont think you can OC an OEM machine like HP, they lock the BIOS. Unless ClockGen works on OEM's I think your stuck at 2.8GHz anyways.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
hey..... looking at your system specs..... what are your 2 gtx's clocked to? I have two as well.... one msi one (not sure what the brand of the other is got it on a trade with a friend)..... but do you have them running at 2 different core clocks.... and if so... how did you get them so high?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
hey..... looking at your system specs..... what are your 2 gtx's clocked to? I have two as well.... one msi one (not sure what the brand of the other is got it on a trade with a friend)..... but do you have them running at 2 different core clocks.... and if so... how did you get them so high?

They are running at the same speed on both cores. I know of no way to run them asychronusly. I got them to a 520Mhz (never updated sig lol) before they started having issues, might have hit 530Mhz if i really tried. I have them cooled first coming off a water cooling loop with the water coming through a 3/8" hose into a splitter into 2 1/4" tubes, one running to each GTX, and through a Koolance NV-2 water block. It isn't the absolute best water block for GTX's but I think its an exceptional value. Danger Den has probably the best one but they are $130 a piece if not more and the Koolance block is $70 give or take.

TRENDING THREADS