Rave.mp3 Win98 driver problem

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 23, 2005 9:13:04 AM

I have run the CD and installed win98se driver.
But I can't get my pc to run the Rave.mp 256. I have tried everything I can
think of. This USB port works fine, I use it for my Flash drives without a
problem.The rave says " USB connected " it just won't boot-up at all in win
explorer.
Is there someone out there that may of had the problem?
Is there a way to force the driver install?

Thanks
acer
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:19:18 AM

Are we supposed to know what a "Rave.mp 256" is? From your description, I am
guessing it is some sort of USB device....perhaps an mp3 player of some sort??

What won't "boot up"? The computer "boots"....a USB device is "detected". Do you
mean the USB device is not being detected in My Computer?

Read here:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm and post back with more info.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have run the CD and installed win98se driver.
> But I can't get my pc to run the Rave.mp 256. I have tried everything I can
> think of. This USB port works fine, I use it for my Flash drives without a
> problem.The rave says " USB connected " it just won't boot-up at all in win
> explorer.
> Is there someone out there that may of had the problem?
> Is there a way to force the driver install?
>
> Thanks
> acer

April 24, 2005 1:01:32 AM

Thank you.

Yes, it is a mp3 player and yes it is a USB device that is not being
detected.
I installed the driver for Win98se from the CD that came with the player.
But when I plug it in to the USB port, the new hardware wizard pops up.
I send it to the install CD/ driver file. Then it says it can't find
software for this device.

I can use it on a PC with XP without a problem.

Thanks again
Lewis

> Are we supposed to know what a "Rave.mp 256" is? From your description, I
am
> guessing it is some sort of USB device....perhaps an mp3 player of some
sort??

> What won't "boot up"? The computer "boots"....a USB device is "detected".
Do you
> mean the USB device is not being detected in My Computer?
>
> Read here:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm and post back with more info.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I have run the CD and installed win98se driver.
> > But I can't get my pc to run the Rave.mp 256. I have tried everything I
can
> > think of. This USB port works fine, I use it for my Flash drives without
> > problem.The rave says " USB connected " it just won't boot-up at all in
win
> > explorer.
> > Is there someone out there that may of had the problem?
> > Is there a way to force the driver install?
> >
> > Thanks
> > acer

April 24, 2005 1:01:33 AM

Right click on "My Computer" then left click on "Properties".
Click on the "Device Manager" tab, then double-click the "Disk drives" category to
expand it.
Look for your mp3 player model number in the list and double-click it (It will not
be one of the GENERIC drives).
Click on the "Settings" tab, click to put a check in the box for "Removable", click
"OK", then "Close", and reboot.

Note: It may be listed under another category than "Disk Drives", so if not there,
check other categories.
--

> Thank you.
>
> Yes, it is a mp3 player and yes it is a USB device that is not being
> detected.
> I installed the driver for Win98se from the CD that came with the player.
> But when I plug it in to the USB port, the new hardware wizard pops up.
> I send it to the install CD/ driver file. Then it says it can't find
> software for this device.
>
> I can use it on a PC with XP without a problem.
>
> Thanks again
> Lewis

> > Are we supposed to know what a "Rave.mp 256" is? From your description, I
> am
> > guessing it is some sort of USB device....perhaps an mp3 player of some
> sort??
> >
> > What won't "boot up"? The computer "boots"....a USB device is "detected".
> Do you
> > mean the USB device is not being detected in My Computer?
> >
> > Read here:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm and post back with more info.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >

> > "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > I have run the CD and installed win98se driver.
> > > But I can't get my pc to run the Rave.mp 256. I have tried everything I
> can
> > > think of. This USB port works fine, I use it for my Flash drives without
> > > problem.The rave says " USB connected " it just won't boot-up at all in
> win
> > > explorer.
> > > Is there someone out there that may of had the problem?
> > > Is there a way to force the driver install?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > acer

April 24, 2005 7:50:14 AM

I think it's showing up in my Generic USB Hub under the power tab as a
Unknown USB Device.
And there isn't anything I can do with it there.
thanks
Lewis

> Right click on "My Computer" then left click on "Properties".
> Click on the "Device Manager" tab, then double-click the "Disk drives"
category to
> expand it.
> Look for your mp3 player model number in the list and double-click it (It
will not
> be one of the GENERIC drives).
> Click on the "Settings" tab, click to put a check in the box for
"Removable", click
> "OK", then "Close", and reboot.
>
> Note: It may be listed under another category than "Disk Drives", so if
not there,
> check other categories.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Yes, it is a mp3 player and yes it is a USB device that is not being
> > detected.
> > I installed the driver for Win98se from the CD that came with the
player.
> > But when I plug it in to the USB port, the new hardware wizard pops up.
> > I send it to the install CD/ driver file. Then it says it can't find
> > software for this device.
> >
> > I can use it on a PC with XP without a problem.
> >
> > Thanks again
> > Lewis
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Are we supposed to know what a "Rave.mp 256" is? From your
description, I
> > am
> > > guessing it is some sort of USB device....perhaps an mp3 player of
some
> > sort??
> > >
> > > What won't "boot up"? The computer "boots"....a USB device is
"detected".
> > Do you
> > > mean the USB device is not being detected in My Computer?
> > >
> > > Read here:
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm and post back with more info.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> > >

> > > "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > can
> > win

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 7:50:15 AM

It should be showing up there with its name, rather than as an unknown USB device.
It should also be appearing in Device Manager under the Disk Drives category. If it
does not, there is apparently a configuration problem, or the drivers are not
properly installed, or are defective. Have you tried uninstalling any
drivers/software that came with the player, and then reinstalling it following the
manufacturer's procedure, step by step?

Are you plugging it into a USB 1.1 or a USB 2.0 port? Is the port an onboard port
directly attached to the motherboard, or is it an add-on PCI USB card? The fact
that the player works fine when you boot to WinXP shows that the hardware seems to
be OK, so it has to be in the configuration and/or the drivers for 98.

Exactly what procedure did you follow to install it in Win98?
--

> I think it's showing up in my Generic USB Hub under the power tab as a
> Unknown USB Device.
> And there isn't anything I can do with it there.
> thanks
> Lewis

> > Right click on "My Computer" then left click on "Properties".
> > Click on the "Device Manager" tab, then double-click the "Disk drives"
> category to
> > expand it.
> > Look for your mp3 player model number in the list and double-click it (It
> will not
> > be one of the GENERIC drives).
> > Click on the "Settings" tab, click to put a check in the box for
> "Removable", click
> > "OK", then "Close", and reboot.
> >
> > Note: It may be listed under another category than "Disk Drives", so if
> not there,
> > check other categories.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >

> > "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Yes, it is a mp3 player and yes it is a USB device that is not being
> > > detected.
> > > I installed the driver for Win98se from the CD that came with the
> player.
> > > But when I plug it in to the USB port, the new hardware wizard pops up.
> > > I send it to the install CD/ driver file. Then it says it can't find
> > > software for this device.
> > >
> > > I can use it on a PC with XP without a problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks again
> > > Lewis
> > >

> > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> description, I
> > > am
> some
> > > sort??

> "detected".
> > > Do you

> everything I
> > > can
> without
> in
> > > win

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 7:50:15 AM

Lewis,
You *do* have Win98SE installed, not the original Win98, correct?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

"Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I think it's showing up in my Generic USB Hub under the power tab as a
> Unknown USB Device.
> And there isn't anything I can do with it there.
> thanks
> Lewis

> > Right click on "My Computer" then left click on "Properties".
> > Click on the "Device Manager" tab, then double-click the "Disk drives"
> category to
> > expand it.
> > Look for your mp3 player model number in the list and double-click it (It
> will not
> > be one of the GENERIC drives).
> > Click on the "Settings" tab, click to put a check in the box for
> "Removable", click
> > "OK", then "Close", and reboot.
> >
> > Note: It may be listed under another category than "Disk Drives", so if
> not there,
> > check other categories.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >

> > "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Yes, it is a mp3 player and yes it is a USB device that is not being
> > > detected.
> > > I installed the driver for Win98se from the CD that came with the
> player.
> > > But when I plug it in to the USB port, the new hardware wizard pops up.
> > > I send it to the install CD/ driver file. Then it says it can't find
> > > software for this device.
> > >
> > > I can use it on a PC with XP without a problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks again
> > > Lewis
> > >

> > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> description, I
> > > am
> some
> > > sort??

> "detected".
> > > Do you

> everything I
> > > can
> without
> in
> > > win

April 25, 2005 1:06:26 AM

I'm using USB 1.1 ports, I have four ports onboard, of which I use one for
a add-on front mount card reader, that has four card slots and one USB 1.1
port.

I have tried all the ports and get the same results.
I have tried the manufacturer's procedure many times.It calls for installing
driver first. Then you plug in the mp3 player.
But each time I do that, the new hardware wizard pops up and ask for driver
for this device.
I have canceled at times and there is a no go.
And I have sent it to the driver file on the manufacturer's CD. And it says
unable to locate driver.

I really appreciate your help

> It should be showing up there with its name, rather than as an unknown USB
device.
> It should also be appearing in Device Manager under the Disk Drives
category. If it
> does not, there is apparently a configuration problem, or the drivers are
not
> properly installed, or are defective. Have you tried uninstalling any
> drivers/software that came with the player, and then reinstalling it
following the
> manufacturer's procedure, step by step?
>
> Are you plugging it into a USB 1.1 or a USB 2.0 port? Is the port an
onboard port
> directly attached to the motherboard, or is it an add-on PCI USB card?
The fact
> that the player works fine when you boot to WinXP shows that the hardware
seems to
> be OK, so it has to be in the configuration and/or the drivers for 98.
>
> Exactly what procedure did you follow to install it in Win98?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
> "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I think it's showing up in my Generic USB Hub under the power tab as a
> > Unknown USB Device.
> > And there isn't anything I can do with it there.
> > thanks
> > Lewis
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Right click on "My Computer" then left click on "Properties".
> > > Click on the "Device Manager" tab, then double-click the "Disk drives"
> > category to
> > > expand it.
> > > Look for your mp3 player model number in the list and double-click it
(It
> > will not
> > > be one of the GENERIC drives).
> > > Click on the "Settings" tab, click to put a check in the box for
> > "Removable", click
> > > "OK", then "Close", and reboot.
> > >
> > > Note: It may be listed under another category than "Disk Drives", so
if
> > not there,
> > > check other categories.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> > >

> > > "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > player.

> > description, I
> > some

> > "detected".

> > everything I
> > without
> > in

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:06:27 AM

I can't tell for sure what is going on but after you install the driver from the
disc, you should re-boot, then plug in the device after Windows starts. If the New
Hardware wizard pops up, instead of inserting the CD again and pointing it there, I
would just have Windows search for the driver on your system, since the driver has
already been installed. Point it to the Windows\System folder; if no joy, point it
to the Windows\Inf folder and Windows\Inf\Other folder. Windows should locate the
just-installed driver. You should not be pointing it to the CD.
If you still have the problem after that, I would contact support for the device
manufacturer.
--

> I'm using USB 1.1 ports, I have four ports onboard, of which I use one for
> a add-on front mount card reader, that has four card slots and one USB 1.1
> port.
>
> I have tried all the ports and get the same results.
> I have tried the manufacturer's procedure many times.It calls for installing
> driver first. Then you plug in the mp3 player.
> But each time I do that, the new hardware wizard pops up and ask for driver
> for this device.
> I have canceled at times and there is a no go.
> And I have sent it to the driver file on the manufacturer's CD. And it says
> unable to locate driver.
>
> I really appreciate your help

> > It should be showing up there with its name, rather than as an unknown USB
> device.
> > It should also be appearing in Device Manager under the Disk Drives
> category. If it
> > does not, there is apparently a configuration problem, or the drivers are
> not
> > properly installed, or are defective. Have you tried uninstalling any
> > drivers/software that came with the player, and then reinstalling it
> following the
> > manufacturer's procedure, step by step?
> >
> > Are you plugging it into a USB 1.1 or a USB 2.0 port? Is the port an
> onboard port
> > directly attached to the motherboard, or is it an add-on PCI USB card?
> The fact
> > that the player works fine when you boot to WinXP shows that the hardware
> seems to
> > be OK, so it has to be in the configuration and/or the drivers for 98.
> >
> > Exactly what procedure did you follow to install it in Win98?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >
> > "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > I think it's showing up in my Generic USB Hub under the power tab as a
> > > Unknown USB Device.
> > > And there isn't anything I can do with it there.
> > > thanks
> > > Lewis
> > >

> > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > category to
> (It
> > > will not
> > > "Removable", click

> if
> > > not there,

> being
> > > player.
> up.

> > > description, I
> > > some

> > > "detected".

> > > everything I
> > > without
> all
> > > in

April 25, 2005 2:20:48 AM

I do have Win98SE installed.

> Lewis,
> You *do* have Win98SE installed, not the original Win98, correct?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
> "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I think it's showing up in my Generic USB Hub under the power tab as a
> > Unknown USB Device.
> > And there isn't anything I can do with it there.
> > thanks
> > Lewis
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Right click on "My Computer" then left click on "Properties".
> > > Click on the "Device Manager" tab, then double-click the "Disk drives"
> > category to
> > > expand it.
> > > Look for your mp3 player model number in the list and double-click it
(It
> > will not
> > > be one of the GENERIC drives).
> > > Click on the "Settings" tab, click to put a check in the box for
> > "Removable", click
> > > "OK", then "Close", and reboot.
> > >
> > > Note: It may be listed under another category than "Disk Drives", so
if
> > not there,
> > > check other categories.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> > >

> > > "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > player.

> > description, I
> > some

> > "detected".

> > everything I
> > without
> > in

April 25, 2005 4:19:30 PM

Glee, thanks for your time.

I have done everything you suggested. no joy!!!
It's crazy, because when I point to the windows\system32\drivers- with
hardware wizard.
It just doesn't allow me to choose the drivers file, it will let choose -
windows\system32.
However, it says, drivers can't be found.
But I can use explorer to see the driver software, but windows just won't
let me use them.
It drives me crazy, I can see it , but I can't force it to use the software.

I contacted manufacturer support for the device first. And they said that
the driver works and that it must be a windows problem.
Also, I can't find ( Windows\Inf\Other folder ) either.

I can't believe that I'm the only one that has run into this problem.

Thanks again for your time.

Lewis

> [...]
> > > does not, there is apparently a configuration problem, or the drivers
are
> > not
> > > properly installed, or are defective. Have you tried uninstalling any
> > > drivers/software that came with the player, and then reinstalling it
> > following the
> > > manufacturer's procedure, step by step?
> > >
> > > Are you plugging it into a USB 1.1 or a USB 2.0 port? Is the port an
> > onboard port
> > > directly attached to the motherboard, or is it an add-on PCI USB card?
> > The fact
> > > that the player works fine when you boot to WinXP shows that the
hardware
> > seems to
> > > be OK, so it has to be in the configuration and/or the drivers for 98.
> > >
> > > Exactly what procedure did you follow to install it in Win98?

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:05:34 PM

Right, you only can point the wizard (or any installer) to the folder containing
your drivers. It has to look for the type of file it wants, and must see the
correct identifying info.......but, in Win9x, you would be pointing to the
Windows\System folder, not the System32 or System32\Drivers folder. If the wizard
does not find what it wants in the System folder, point to the Windows\Inf folder.
You may not have an Inf\Other sub-folder.....not all systems do.
I am running out of ideas, if the ports work for everything else, and the device
works on other operating systems. Can you try the device on another Win98SE
computer to see if it installs there? A friend of mine could not get a USB printer
to install on his machine, and I got it to install on mine, but I had to hand-feed
the installer the location of the .cat file to get it installed. I then went to his
machine and installed the printer no problem, once I knew what the issue was.
without trying the installation myself, it is hard to see where yours might be
failing. :-\
--

> [...]
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >

> > "Lewis" <laveryhsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm using USB 1.1 ports, I have four ports onboard, of which I use one
> for
> > > a add-on front mount card reader, that has four card slots and one USB
> 1.1
> > > port.
> > >
> > > I have tried all the ports and get the same results.
> > > I have tried the manufacturer's procedure many times.It calls for
> installing
> > > driver first. Then you plug in the mp3 player.
> > > But each time I do that, the new hardware wizard pops up and ask for
> driver
> > > for this device.
> > > I have canceled at times and there is a no go.
> > > And I have sent it to the driver file on the manufacturer's CD. And it

April 26, 2005 8:21:51 AM

Well, I will have to find a win98se PC somewhere to try this device.

But in the mean time, I went to --windows\system32 and copied the 2 driver
files that I could see.
I then put them in-- windows\system folder. And rebooted-- no joy.
So I left them there and removed the 2 files from system32 and rebooted-- no
joy.

There is a firmware update out for this USB device, do you think that would
help?
But then I can't install it, if my mp3 doesn't boot up on this PC.

Thanks Glee
Lewis

> [...]
driver
> > from the
> > > disc, you should re-boot, then plug in the device after Windows
starts.
> > If the New
> > > Hardware wizard pops up, instead of inserting the CD again and
pointing it
> > there, I
> > > would just have Windows search for the driver on your system, since
the
> > driver has
> > > already been installed. Point it to the Windows\System folder; if no
> > joy, point it
> > > to the Windows\Inf folder and Windows\Inf\Other folder. Windows
should
> > locate the
> > > just-installed driver. You should not be pointing it to the CD.
> > > If you still have the problem after that, I would contact support for

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:39:57 AM

I thought you said the device worked on WinXP. If so, you can update the firmware
there.

I didn't mean to suggest you move driver files from one folder to another.....only
meant to state that on Win98SE, the drivers files should install themselves to the
System folder as opposed to the System32 folder.
--

> [...]
> > >
> > > I have done everything you suggested. no joy!!!
> > > It's crazy, because when I point to the windows\system32\drivers- with
> > > hardware wizard.
> > > It just doesn't allow me to choose the drivers file, it will let
> choose -
> > > windows\system32.
> > > However, it says, drivers can't be found.
> > > But I can use explorer to see the driver software, but windows just
> won't
> > > let me use them.
> > > It drives me crazy, I can see it , but I can't force it to use the
> software.
> > >
> > > I contacted manufacturer support for the device first. And they said
> that
> > > the driver works and that it must be a windows problem.
> > > Also, I can't find ( Windows\Inf\Other folder ) either.
> > >
> > > I can't believe that I'm the only one that has run into this problem.

April 27, 2005 11:46:59 PM

Well I had a old PC in the garage. I started it up win98se, very
slow --64ram , 2gig HD.

I installed the cd software. Rebooted the pc plugged in the USB plug with
MP3 player attached .
Window popped up saying installing software for you device. It was called
several device names-- digital player, USB mass storage device. But it ended
up in the device manager as hard drive called RaveMp audio mp3 player. And
it shows up in the explorer as F: drive.

So I hooked it up to my newer PC. No Joy. This is Crazy

I'm not sure if I should use XP to update firmware. I will give it a try.

The driver installed into the System32 folder, so I thought that I would
copy them to the system folder to give it a hand. No joy either way.

thanks
Lewis

> [...]
> > > You may not have an Inf\Other sub-folder.....not all systems do.
> > > I am running out of ideas, if the ports work for everything else, and
the
> > device
> > > works on other operating systems. Can you try the device on another
> > Win98SE
> > > computer to see if it installs there? A friend of mine could not get
> > USB printer
> > > to install on his machine, and I got it to install on mine, but I had
> > hand-feed
> > > the installer the location of the .cat file to get it installed. I
then
> > went to his
> > > machine and installed the printer no problem, once I knew what the
issue
> > was.
> > > without trying the installation myself, it is hard to see where yours

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:42:39 AM

Lewis, The fact that the device installed correctly on the old test machine tells
me there is nothing wrong with the device or the installer, and that you are
following the installation instructions correctly. It also indicates that upgrading
the firmware is probably *not* going to have any bearing on the problem on your main
Win98SE computer. There is obviously something amiss somewhere on your main Win98SE
machine, but unfortunately *where* that something is, is not clear. :-\

You said that other USB devices *are* working correctly on the problem computer, as
I recall from earlier replies. Try uninstalling all software related to the device,
then restart in Safe Mode, then open Device Manager and remove all entries there
that mention the device, if any exist in any categories. If there is an "Other"
category in DM, remove every item listed there. Look also in the Disk Drives
category in DM, and remove any and all entries that may exist for the device. If
there are any duplicate devices in that category, remove ALL devices in the
category. Same for Hard disk controllers category, CDROM category, and Universal
Serial Bus Controllers category....if any duplicates appear there, remove ALL listed
entries of that type. This must all be done in Safe Mode. When done, click
OK/Close, but before you restart, follow the instructions at the links below, to do
a clean boot. When you close msconfig to initiate the clean boot, you will then
restart in normal mode (Start> Shutdown> Restart).

After you restart doing the clean boot, Windows will re-detect any hardware you
removed from DM in Safe Mode. When that is done (reboot if prompted), install the
drivers for the problem device exactly as you did on the test machine from the
garage. Then, still in a clean boot startup configuration, reboot if prompted and
insert the device as you did on the test machine. See if this allows the device to
be installed correctly. When done, go back and set msconfig back from clean boot to
your normal startup configuration, and restart.
--

!